Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Volume levels on uploaded mixes

AJPethick 12:17 AM - 25 April, 2015
Hi , I'm looking for any form of help regarding the sound quality of my mixes when I upload them to soundcloud. To start with , I record my mixes through serato. Once I've done the mix I then upload it and the sound is super quiet compared to other tracks. I've ran the mix through audacity and amplified it but it still doesn't increase the volume very much . Is there any suggestions as to how I could increase the overall volume of my track when I upload it . Thanks
Floren Munteanu 4:50 AM - 25 April, 2015
I always play the tracks in my DDJ-SZ/DJM-900NXS at 0 gain to avoid any type of distorted sounds and the Serato recording level set to 3aclock to have the output leveled also at 0. As soon you start seeing yellow markers on Serato recording, lower the trims or else you endup with a clipped track. This usually outputs around 90db for me. Then I run the mix through MP3Gain at 92-94db and check it if is not clipping.

I don't know if you noticed but all tracks recorded by master engineers in the '90s were always at max 90db. It is insane to see today the amount of tracks pumping 97-99db, nearly always red. Personally, every single track I own is filtered down to 94db with MP3Gain (non-destructive) and I have the autogain feature disabled in Serato. We have a mixer to adjust the sound levels, I don't understand why Serato or any other DJ software want to deliberately ruin the track sound quality.