DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 57mkii - Software Section

AKIEM 5:41 PM - 21 April, 2015
...is it user configurable or not?

.......if its not, will it be?

.........or not?
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:19 PM - 21 April, 2015
Hey Akiem,

As I understand it the controls control what they control out of the box.
You cannot currently remap the controls on the main group of the mixer and there are currently no options for groups/layers as there is on the original 57.
I'm not sure if this will be changed going forward.
AKIEM 1:33 AM - 22 April, 2015
(this is maybe the worst news Ive heard here ever)

Well, I cant buy this mixer.

When I first got the TTM57, I spent several years refining a work flow. Then I spent several years practicing and making habit and second nature that work flow. Then when I decided not to purchase a 62 for similar reasons I spent several more years working with a perfected work flow.

Even though I would consider this mixer 'near perfect' I really do not see how I could purchase such a similar mixer with a completely "wrong" configuration. I would continually out of habit press the wrong buttons.

The best option would be a whole new mixer with a different configuration and learn that instead of making mistakes.

One of the best things about the 57 is the ability to customize it. I dont ever press the censor button - why would I want it dedicated on a joystick? How did you guys even decide what would go where for the joysticks? I cant comprehend the thinking here.

I understand it may be / was Serato's "job" to set up a software solution - but they arnt apparently. I dont see why Rane wont/hasnt just made an app to let the user configure these settings?

I have a bunch of little cheap ass devices with configuration apps. I do not see why an expensive professional mixer does not have the same capability.

It kills me to have been waiting for years for this mixer and just not be able to purchase it. And Im not being dramatic to make a point or anything. I seriously can not purchase this mixer without that problem solved.

If it is up to Serato, I figure if it hasnt happened yet, it wont ever.

Please, have Rane consider making an app to allow the user to custom configure. I imagine it would be useful to solve problems working with other software as well, so it seems to me its actually up to Rane.

I now have $1750 worth of alternate upgrade path to consider. :(
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:33 PM - 22 April, 2015
I feel you. I'm hoping/guessing this will be changed with a firmware upgrade in the near future if its something our users really want.
I can't comprehend what it would take to create an app that would allow any MIDI mappings within Serato but I can ask the engineers. The mixer is completely MIDI mappable as is if you were to use another program with it (Traktor, Ableton, etc) but it does not, however, currently have layers/groups regardless of the program you're using with it.
AKIEM 5:00 PM - 22 April, 2015
Was just writing a post with those questions because that's something else I was looking forward to - midi mapping to Ableton, Reason, Protools, etc.. Which means tweeking the device ussually.

So what I'm not understanding - if it is just sending MIDI (not some other protocol) why can't the functions be mapped in SDJ like any other MIDI device?

Or is it actually sending the same protocol as the TTM *and MIDI as well?

If that's the case, I understand why it would be up to Serato. But if its just MIDI.....
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:45 PM - 22 April, 2015
It is just MIDI but the way Serato allocates MIDI is unlike other programs.
I'm not certain of the specifics. One of the Serato guys would know more about that.
boabmatic 6:47 PM - 22 April, 2015
The 62 did launch like this too then got the MIDI mappable layers added later...
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:50 PM - 22 April, 2015
^^ This is true.
AKIEM 7:02 PM - 22 April, 2015
Ok... And I was thinking about how it went with the 62 as well. But I still can not purchase based on this issue might/should be resolved.

I thought MIDI was MIDI regardless of the device... sigh
AKIEM 7:09 PM - 22 April, 2015
Zach, any chance of making the FlexFx switch momentary like the eq cuts?
boogiebears 11:28 PM - 22 April, 2015
..seconds what Akiem is saying.

options are the way of the future guys. i hope rane/serato work out the bugs and let users retain control of their mixers.
Culprit 12:42 AM - 28 April, 2015
its about a step back from a 57, and a few steps back from a 62. Layering and customization would make it perfect out the box. Going to sit this one out and see how this mixer progresses.