DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Importance of Tagging

OldSkoolMixMaster 1:27 PM - 19 April, 2015
Hey there Fam, first, for all of you follwing my progress, it's going just fine. Secondly, as I research and learn this new djing process, I'm very interested in knowing and understanding the importance of "tagging" music files. I've been spending an extensive amount of time reorganizing my music and actually getting rid of a lot (believe it or not) and it seems that this "tagging" thing keeps coming up in everything I read during the "reorganizing" process. What is this exactly and why so much emphasis on it? Is it not the same as "genre" or "type" of music? What happens if I'm NOT tagging appropriately? Help me understand. Thanks
Davideon 1:36 PM - 19 April, 2015
A tag contains info on a track. Genre, year, album etv
OldSkoolMixMaster 1:57 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
A tag contains info on a track. Genre, year, album etv

Thanks for the comment, but just WHY is it so important to spend so much time on it? I mean, for myself, I can care less about any other info of a track other than Title, Artist, Genre, and BPM. But I've read where some guys are spending extraordinary amounts of time re-writing tags so I'm just trying to make sure it's nothing I'm "glossing" over as being non-important when maybe it really is. Feel me?
Davideon 2:44 PM - 19 April, 2015
Read up on what a smart crate is and that will help to see how tags help.
Col1990 2:48 PM - 19 April, 2015
Tagging is important to quickly find the right tracks at the right time and is very important if you have a large library. The year tag is important to me because i play old and new music and i can make smart playlists to group all my old tracks in one playlist rather them getting mixed up with all my new stuff also you can write in the comment section something like floorfillers and have all your big hits in there and group them in a smart playlist too there is all kinds of things you can do and trust me it is very beneficial
OldSkoolMixMaster 3:08 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
Tagging is important to quickly find the right tracks at the right time and is very important if you have a large library. The year tag is important to me because i play old and new music and i can make smart playlists to group all my old tracks in one playlist rather them getting mixed up with all my new stuff also you can write in the comment section something like floorfillers and have all your big hits in there and group them in a smart playlist too there is all kinds of things you can do and trust me it is very beneficial

I too have an extensive library (84k files) and have mostly Old School music but with me, I already have most of my music categorized this way: Old School Dance, Old School Club, Old School Slow Jams,..etc. So whenever I setup a crate I usually just rename it in accordance to the said genre. Whenever I upload my crate, I simply adjust the BPM column to show tracks from lowest to highest bpm and choose my tracks accordingly. The only real problem I'm having is that I have a great deal of tracks that have the Artist's name or maybe a track number ( track_02) listed first so I'm having to MANUALLY go in and edit all the info. So I guess that's why I'm trying to fully understand the tagging process so as to maybe become a better organizer.
BIGG BEAR 4:37 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I too have an extensive library (84k files) and have mostly Old School music but with me, I already have most of my music categorized this way: Old School Dance, Old School Club, Old School Slow Jams,..etc. So whenever I setup a crate I usually just rename it in accordance to the said genre. Whenever I upload my crate, I simply adjust the BPM column to show tracks from lowest to highest bpm and choose my tracks accordingly. The only real problem I'm having is that I have a great deal of tracks that have the Artist's name or maybe a track number ( track_02) listed first so I'm having to MANUALLY go in and edit all the info. So I guess that's why I'm trying to fully understand the tagging process so as to maybe become a better organizer.

to get rid of the track number try something like tag and rename or something similar,you can do a whole batch of tracks in one go rather than doing them individually.
OldSkoolMixMaster 4:49 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:

to get rid of the track number try something like tag and rename or something similar,you can do a whole batch of tracks in one go rather than doing them individually.

Good Stuff! Just a quick question that I couldnt find answer to when I read the info on Tag & Rename software: Are any modifications that I make with the program are they permanent? I have all my music on external hard drive.
BIGG BEAR 5:43 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Good Stuff! Just a quick question that I couldnt find answer to when I read the info on Tag & Rename software: Are any modifications that I make with the program are they permanent? I have all my music on external hard drive.

Yes they are permenent,but in the program there is usually an undo button in case you make a mistake but as with anything be careful and double check before you save your changes.it will work with an external.
OldSkoolMixMaster 5:45 PM - 19 April, 2015
@ BIGG BEAR Appreciate the help bro!
BIGG BEAR 5:57 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
@ BIGG BEAR Appreciate the help bro!

You're welcome thanks
Col1990 6:29 PM - 19 April, 2015
If you have a mac i recommend metadatics its really good can also add artwork to tracks too from the net
OldSkoolMixMaster 6:38 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
If you have a mac i recommend metadatics its really good can also add artwork to tracks too from the net

Thanks but not using Mac.
Dj MacMillz 8:02 PM - 19 April, 2015
Media monkey is quite useful/powerful on the non Mac side of things....

If I'm not mistaken it has previews of the actions before you make them so you can.... Well... Preview
OldSkoolMixMaster 8:42 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
Media monkey is quite useful/powerful on the non Mac side of things....

If I'm not mistaken it has previews of the actions before you make them so you can.... Well... Preview

Actually uploading my tracks on there now,..gonna be a while though :) Thanks
Col1990 9:02 PM - 19 April, 2015
I wanted to use that but I own a mac and when I downloaded the Mac port that they have on their website it doesn't even load up and just bounces in the dock
Dj MacMillz 1:00 AM - 20 April, 2015
Quote:
I wanted to use that but I own a mac and when I downloaded the Mac port that they have on their website it doesn't even load up and just bounces in the dock

Try using wine bottler/wine skin
Col1990 2:48 AM - 20 April, 2015
Thats what it was but didn't work
Dj MacMillz 12:26 PM - 20 April, 2015
Oh snap, try using crossover (it lets you run winos programs on Mac like its native)

Wine is usually hit or miss from my personal experiences.

Last resort is to run some type of virtual machine (parallels etc) or install boot camp << kinda overkill just for one or a few programs

What I used to do when I was still a Mac newb, I just bounced back and forth from my win laptop via external harddrive.

To the OP: how are things coming along??
Col1990 4:06 PM - 20 April, 2015
I'll try crossover but normally in my experience wine has been the better option