Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer DDJ-SZ/DJM-900NXS white noise?

Floren Munteanu 3:18 AM - 18 April, 2015
I was wondering if you guys could share with all of us if or at what level you experience white noise on either your Pioneer DDJ-SZ or DJM-900NXS. I got myself recently a pair of Dynaudio BM6 mkIII speakers and every time I power any of my above mentioned units I hear the dreaded white noise, with only the speakers connected.

The price of buying quality speakers, you hear everything... that you could not before.
BTW, I'm forced to open a thread into General forum, which is ridiculous. What's the point on having all those hardware forums if you cannot use them to post into?
Davideon 5:55 AM - 18 April, 2015
I have the sz and don't get that. Do you mean that once you turn the sz on it goes away?
Floren Munteanu 1:16 AM - 19 April, 2015
I tried to do a video but my phone camera is not high quality to properly record the white noise in my noisy room. Technically, the white noise start once the units are completely powered on. For example, once powered on, the DDJ-SZ lights up all buttons and goes in standby mode. At that moment the white noise kicks into my speakers.
Davideon 7:24 AM - 19 April, 2015
Could be a gain issue. Do you have the level faders, trims and etc at max (without clipping) and then increase the speaker volume up accordingly?
Floren Munteanu 4:04 PM - 19 April, 2015
The issue started when I got the high end speakers. Obviously those speakers pick a lot more... I always play at 0, but this does not affects the white noise because you don't play any track so no sound is coming through channel.
Floren Munteanu 7:47 PM - 24 April, 2015
Here it a video I made, to get a better idea:

Watchwww.youtube.com
Davideon 8:10 PM - 24 April, 2015
Interesting. You do know you shouldn't power on the unit whilst your speakers are on? Can damage them.

What happens when you turn it on and then your speakers?
Floren Munteanu 9:08 PM - 24 April, 2015
I always power my speakers last. I just did it this time for demo purposes so you can see when the white noise kicks in, right after the power on sequence.
Floren Munteanu 11:25 PM - 24 April, 2015
Quote:
What happens when you turn it on and then your speakers?

The white noise is there, like in the video. Note that in the video the sound is amplified, you can hear how loud is the power switch, compared to the white noise.
Davideon 7:31 AM - 25 April, 2015
www.digitaldjinfo.com

www.rane.com

support.serato.com

I can only think it has to do with your gains and volume controls. Or a dodgy wire or connection
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:08 PM - 25 April, 2015
Well i guess it's your new speakers. did it do it with your old speakers or if you try it on another sound system.
Floren Munteanu 3:39 PM - 25 April, 2015
Quote:
Well i guess it's your new speakers.

I had a pair of cheap low-end speakers, so the white noise was not there at a noticeable level. I guess this is the price you pay when purchasing high quality speakers. Honestly, I'm very disappointed, the DDJ-SZ and DJM-900NXS are supposed to be top of the line equipment. For example, on a DJM-800 I have absolutely no issues... obviously the monitors are not defective.

I simply wanted to compare with other people here if they experience the same issue with those units while connected to high-end studio monitors.
Floren Munteanu 3:41 PM - 25 April, 2015
Quote:
I can only think it has to do with your gains and volume controls. Or a dodgy wire or connection

I always play at 0 gain and use balanced Mogami cables from Booth Out to speakers directly, not worried about that.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:12 PM - 25 April, 2015
They are world class and work fine for everyone apart from you and your speakers. So it's obvious the issue must be there somewhere??? I say it's a grounding issue as you say the djm800 is fine this isnt connected to your laptop.

What if you try the sz and 900 without the usb cable plugged in?
Floren Munteanu 4:22 PM - 25 April, 2015
Quote:

The only cables connected are the speakers, no inputs or USB.
Floren Munteanu 4:33 PM - 25 April, 2015
Quote:
They are world class and work fine for everyone apart from you and your speakers.

We are here to help each others. not to point fingers. Honestly I did a lot of research and it is all related to the monitors quality. Personally, I believe using a pair of high-end monitors ($2-3000$/pair) will allow you to hear the white noise right away. A $200 monitor will not pick it up. I'm simply stating my opinion, I do not know what equipment you use with your mixer.

Obviously, Pioneer focused only on their CDJ components, neglecting the quality on mixers. I will call them Monday to see what they have to say. For now, I'm forced to use the trusty DJM-800 for studio recordings. It is a shame, as I spent a lot of money on the new equipment upgrades.

I'm repeating myself: Are there any other members confirming the white noise on the above mentioned units, while connected to high-end monitors? It will help Pioneer confirm the issue.
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:25 PM - 25 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

The only cables connected are the speakers, no inputs or USB.

Ok cool, ya no idea then.
DJ. L.A. Styles 11:52 PM - 28 April, 2015
Floren I just saw this post I use the sz and a jbl prx 615m and I notice a hissing sound when I turn on my speaker I just have one hook up,the sound didn't seem to be as loud as what I heard in your video I'm not sure if it's the same your referring to, just want to mention
MrDJDT 6:55 AM - 28 October, 2015
I have exactly the same issue!!!! DDJ-SZ is crap. I run the following 3 systems into my wall mounted QSC K12s

RANE MP2015 with USB connected to the same computer & 2 1210MK5s - NO ISSUES at all
DJM850K with USB connected to the same computer & 2 1200MK2s - NO ISSUES at all
DDJ-SZ with the volume down low all you can hear is crappy white noise. Ive got extended warranty on mine so Mr Pioneer will be getting mine back very soon.
WarpNote 7:39 AM - 28 October, 2015
I remember having a rather high noisefloor when using mhy DDJ-SX with my QSC K12 speakers. I also have a Rane 62 and a DJM900SRT, will try to compare when I get the chance. However, my studio and home speakers are rather low end: Rokit 5 & 6....
MrDJDT 8:28 PM - 3 November, 2015
Problem fixed!!!!!
Both cables coming from the main XLR out were new but I noticed one was a different brand but the key point I make was that it was not a BALANCED cable. It was also coiled up on the floor which made it resonant to recieve interferance. Swapped the cable for shorter length and a balanced lead. Problem is fixed. It is worth noting there is still some noise through the speakers compared to my other mixers but no where near the bacon cooking noise I had before.

More on balanced XLR here

en.m.wikipedia.org
WarpNote 8:49 PM - 3 November, 2015
Uhm yeah, all my XLRs are balanced ;-)
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:49 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Problem fixed!!!!!
Both cables coming from the main XLR out were new but I noticed one was a different brand but the key point I make was that it was not a BALANCED cable. It was also coiled up on the floor which made it resonant to recieve interferance. Swapped the cable for shorter length and a balanced lead. Problem is fixed. It is worth noting there is still some noise through the speakers compared to my other mixers but no where near the bacon cooking noise I had before.

More on balanced XLR here

en.m.wikipedia.org

Nice one.
DJ Joe K 7:27 AM - 14 June, 2018
I also have a problem with white noise. I'm guessing most of you know this, but I had to connect my controller and speakers, and I think my laptop into the same surge protector. I can't connect into another outlet or the noise is really loud.

Last weekend I did an event at a really nice hall, and noticed when the chandeliers were lit, I got noise. Once we dimmed the lights in rehearsal, the noise was gone. What can I do to minimize the noise from the wall. It's as if the controller or speakers are really sensitive to noise on the line.

Equipment:
Pioneer DDJ-SZ
JBL SRX815P Speakers
JBL SRX818SP Subs

Dell Laptop