DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

HELP! Just got booked for a college party.

Dj Kerupt 12:18 PM - 17 April, 2015
I've did numerous gigs before but I've always heard college parties are different because there are kids from many different areas.

The person that booked me knows nothing except the time and location. She said the age group is 18-24.

She said she THINKS the genre requested is mainly top 40/pop. I know the basic songs but I want to have my library more full of that type of music. Can someone help me out? Are there any places I can look to see the list of the top 100 pop songs in 2014 , 2013 etc.

HELP ME!! Lol
JackGregory 12:31 PM - 17 April, 2015
if only there was a website that let you search for things like that, I wonder what it would be called?

In the mean time, try this.. bit.ly
Dj MacMillz 12:31 PM - 17 April, 2015
Billboard 100
Local radio stations websites
Now that's what I call music compilations (at least the last 2 or 3 discs)
DJ Stygma 12:39 PM - 17 April, 2015
I recently did a college sorority party, and they sent a playlist, it was 90% hip hop, with some Taylor Swift thrown in. They also really wanted a few 90's songs, specifically Everybody (Backstreet's Back) - I think because it was just in the Seth Rogen movie.

IDFWU
Tuesday
Fireball
GDFR
Clique
ect.

Same thing all the high school kids in my rural, backwoods area want to hear, 90% hip hop
Dj Kerupt 12:47 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
I recently did a college sorority party, and they sent a playlist, it was 90% hip hop, with some Taylor Swift thrown in. They also really wanted a few 90's songs, specifically Everybody (Backstreet's Back) - I think because it was just in the Seth Rogen movie.

IDFWU
Tuesday
Fireball
GDFR
Clique
ect.

Same thing all the high school kids in my rural, backwoods area want to hear, 90% hip hop

How ironic. This is a fraternity party lol
Was the crowd mainly "white or black"?
The Despicable Nyan Cat 1:27 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
if only there was a website that let you search for things like that, I wonder what it would be called?

LOL that is good
Col1990 1:32 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

LOL that is good

Yeah google is very powerful also urbandjpool is good for this thing it gives you the charts from a few years back and also you can download their whole database which is set up in year folders so you could just download the whole year from 2010 upwards or just select the ones you want
Dj Kerupt 3:07 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:

Idk if you were trying to be funny or what. I know I can google that for a traditional party but I was trying to get feedback for college events.
eugguy 5:09 PM - 17 April, 2015
If they ain't paying you play what you want. It's a great way to network and get future (better) paying gigs. Drinks, ladies, food should always be included. Have fun, college parties are always memorable.
Mr. Goodkat 5:54 PM - 17 April, 2015
white frat kids have 2nd tier rappers now like waka and dorrough(and much lower that those 2). rap 1st, everything else second.
Dj Kerupt 7:09 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
If they ain't paying you play what you want. It's a great way to network and get future (better) paying gigs. Drinks, ladies, food should always be included. Have fun, college parties are always memorable.

It's paying haha. Thanks btw
Dj Kerupt 7:10 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
white frat kids have 2nd tier rappers now like waka and dorrough(and much lower that those 2). rap 1st, everything else second.

Appreciate the input !
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:35 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
I've did numerous gigs before but I've always heard college parties are different because there are kids from many different areas.

The person that booked me knows nothing except the time and location. She said the age group is 18-24.

She said she THINKS the genre requested is mainly top 40/pop. I know the basic songs but I want to have my library more full of that type of music. Can someone help me out? Are there any places I can look to see the list of the top 100 pop songs in 2014 , 2013 etc.

HELP ME!! Lol

...do you own a radio?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:37 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Idk if you were trying to be funny or what. I know I can google that for a traditional party but I was trying to get feedback for college events.

What do you thing the difference is between a college party and a "traditional" party
Dj Kerupt 10:38 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What do you thing the difference is between a college party and a "traditional" party

People from diff places. Like Baltimore club , jersey club, reggae , etc. and DC likes go go music
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:55 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

People from diff places. Like Baltimore club , jersey club, reggae , etc. and DC likes go go music

but everyone likes top 40 and rap....play top 40 and rap

/thread
DjLouSince82 11:27 PM - 20 April, 2015
I say stick with current top 40 dance, hip hop, edm - anything you would play at a club right now and add the classic party bangers..if people ask for rare underground tracks tell them you do have them but not with you..or you can always use WiFi and download requests on the spot from your online record pool, soundcloud, you tube, etc. kids nowadays request all these random tracks all the time..as djs its tough to have every single song but all we can do is do our best. good luck
dj_soo 6:44 AM - 21 April, 2015
top 40 and commercial "EDM" and figure out what the hits were when the kids were in high school and you should be fine.
Taipanic 2:38 PM - 21 April, 2015
Probably mostly 70 BMP Hip-Hop & Twerk-100 BPM Hip-Hop & Trap, & EDM. Throw in some Taylor Swift, Top40 and a few late 90's/early 2k party tracks. Make sure you have strong Bass for your PA. Don't get drunk and watch your equipment carefully.
djransom 5:07 PM - 21 April, 2015
djservicepack.com and enjoy!
Mr. Goodkat 5:41 PM - 21 April, 2015
kinda depends on where you are and if you are playing to white or black frat kids( or other majority ethnicity)
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:58 PM - 21 April, 2015
Quote:
kinda depends on where you are and if you are playing to white or black frat kids( or other majority ethnicity)

Ehhh, debatable. Both want 99% of the same music now adays.
Mr. Goodkat 7:49 PM - 21 April, 2015
Pretty much clearly the edm doesn't really need to get played a black parties. Bhangra remixes at Indian parties et al
Mr. Goodkat 7:49 PM - 21 April, 2015
Dammit in on the phone
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:18 PM - 21 April, 2015
Quote:
Pretty much clearly the edm doesn't really need to get played a black parties. Bhangra remixes at Indian parties et al

Basically
WileECoyote 10:11 PM - 21 April, 2015
Quote:

Sounds like a NC/VA college party. You gota cater to all of the transplants. Especially if it's an HBCU.
DJ Tecniq 2:48 AM - 22 April, 2015
Quote:

HELP ME!! Lol
its called billboard top 100 of 2013,2014 or the latest promo only 2015 titles👍🏻
DJ Tecniq 2:49 AM - 22 April, 2015