Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

So 1.7.4 is here. Coming is 1.7.5... or are we going bigger with1.8?

musiclee 8:25 PM - 16 April, 2015
what do you guys think will be the MAJOR functions Serato will add next?

More Club Kits (including my Rane MP-25)?
Maybe we will get get that lighter scroll bar so it's actually viewable?
Improvements on the FLIP?

I can't wait for 2.0 :-)
938MyDJ 10:15 PM - 16 April, 2015
They could focus on CPU consumption for now. So we can start using the Internet (Wi-fi) for other DJ related tasks like: wireless monitors through Apple TV or Chromecast.

Personally... MIDI-OUT and/or VST-PLUGIN are the ones I wanted to be added.
WarpNote 12:33 AM - 17 April, 2015
The most obvious is the Denon DS1 & Rane 57mk2.

- I'm hoping they make the club kit for the Rane digital mixers, Denon 1600 & 1700 models, Pioneer djm750 djm2000nxs etc. Wether they do it, is most likely down to sales numbers/user requests of each mixer, and how suitable the particular mixer actually is. (internal routing for DVS, number of digital channels, etc.)

- Personally, I'm hoping for better album art implementation, both on loaded decks and scalable in crate lists (too large atm.) Also hoping for cpu optimisation, as I also often run background visuals from the same computer in Resolume. Being able to run SDJ at low latency, while still being connecte to wifi (buy last minute song) and bluetooth (wireless serato remote) would also be great.

- GUI work: lighter scroll bar, remove zebra stripes in crate/track list (are counter productive IMO, make harder to read than in SSL), fix search field (impossible to read black text with a dark blue selction, need better contrast like the scroll bar feature request.)

-Midi clock out would be super useful for syncing my visuals, and would be nice for jamming along with ableton in the studio.

- Would love if Isotope would release special fx units for only variatons of reverbs & echos/delays with off-beat/odd-beat options. Even synth emulator modules would be cool (run a track into it and its converted in realtime to a synth sound), if it could run without dropouts. I think maybe VST's would be to much, cpu wise, but I guess it comes down to how many VST you would be allowed to run in parallell, and of course which VST's they actually allowed supported.

- Maybe expand on the sp6, ie a sample player synced to the main decks for loops, drums etc. Not a full-on Ableton clone, just an easy to use add-on, that might work well with current hardware, or a a smaller apc/launch controller/4x4 pad.

- A bar/beat count-down system for next coming cue could also be neat, makes it really easy to learn your new tracks fast, i.e. where you want to mix in/out, count down to the break/drop etc. Some might consider it a cheat, I'd rather use any tool I find useful...

- If someone made a standalone smaller deck-controller, that would be cool too IMO. Like a slimmed down V7, no sound card, 1-4 deck switch, ddj type or even smaller jog, performance pads, preferably with a usb hub. Basically a AKAI AMX with a jog instead of fx dials, or in addition to the fx dials.. The "AKAI DJX" ;-) Great for adding an extra deck to a 2 deck setup. Also good when adding a second DJ to a unit like the SX, second DJ could run that small modular deck controller(s), and use a separate SL box/AKAI AMX etc. plugged into the main controller rca inputs.
Smoke21 4:04 AM - 17 April, 2015
less CPU usage… so that we can never worry about that… its not easy buying a new macbook pro … just saying
AlxRyde 6:18 AM - 17 April, 2015
Is it CPU usage or just optimization? I'm taking a computer architecture class right now and all I'm hearing it caching, operator choices, making things less bloated by using better programming choices...etc. :P

I feel like that will always be a problem if the code is running on a computer though. There will always be other code trying to interrupt your code (which is why many people just run a clean system for DJ'ing). What if the controllers themselves had like a coprocessor or something...I dunno if that's even possible, this is just me daydreaming at 1AM haha.
Smoke21 7:34 AM - 17 April, 2015
Well i did a clean install of mountain lion before installing 1.7.4 and as well installing a SSD with an upgrade from 4gb to 8gb (max memory my MBP can handle). Did the optimization serato gives to mAke serato dj run better and still notice a bit of movment on the green bar on serato dj... Not as much as before but would like to keep at a Min. On CPU usage... Any other opinions on how to lower CPU??? Thanks
Tommy Deem 8:50 AM - 17 April, 2015
if ur cpu dosent get higher than 50% using serato u have nothing to worry, so whats the issue?? Ofcourse there's a movement on cpu bar, ur maschine does more than just one thing. If u open analyce center, u see that there is changes on cpu and memory usage all the time :D
BleedR 12:14 PM - 17 April, 2015
What CPU usage? I don't even get nearly 50% with the mac book air...
WarpNote 12:18 PM - 17 April, 2015
PnT, fx (very individual pr fx type), video, low latency setting will all draw cpu. If you have a lower specced machine, then lower/eliminate the intense processes. Computing 101... 😀
A_Jack 1:26 PM - 17 April, 2015
The future of Serato is looking very bright at the moment. I'm really happy with SDJ now but considering the future, I'd like to see these happen at some point:

- 64bit
- FX (Echo) distortion fixed
- Expanded sampler (endless possibilities here)
- Mixtape
- Some new cool features for Flip (record loop rolls, FX etc.?)
- Pioneer Z2-style scratch mixer
- New iZotope FX just for fun

Can't think of anything else at the moment. All I can say is that my Traktor license has collected virtual dust for several months now.
musiclee 1:48 PM - 17 April, 2015
VST Support please!!!
djmacklong 4:42 PM - 17 April, 2015
Sub-smart crates.
sayyesdj 5:56 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
Sub-smart crates.

+1
A_Jack 6:49 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
VST Support please!!!

Sorry but why do you want VST support to a DJ software? Wouldn't that risk stability? How would you use VSTs with Serato? I can't think of any meaningful way to use VSTs in a live setting while DJing.

Just curious.
musiclee 7:01 PM - 17 April, 2015
risk stability? yes, same as risking stability IF you choose to go online while djing, or run other programs while DJ'ing.
same as risking stability if you use SDJ's FX and have an underpowered PC, or use Pitch -n- Time plug-in, your stability may suffer.

you'd use at your own risk.
You should know how powerful your CPU is, and experiment with it prior to going live.

I'd use plugins such as an EQ which SDJ does not have.
Yes i have a real EQ in my rack, but when i go super mobile and leave big rack at home,
i could use an EQ.

i could also put a BBE Sonic Maximizer in the chain www.bbesound.com
musiclee 7:07 PM - 17 April, 2015
Why not innovate and be the first DJ program to allow VST's
There are tons of VST's out there which are WAY BETTER than those in SDJ (sorry Serato)

It's there for those who want and there for those who don't want. YOUR CHOICE !!!
AlxRyde 7:16 PM - 17 April, 2015
o.o iirc One DJ and DeckaDance both support VSTs. Deckadance also can be run in a VST container, and an external effects chain can be used and MIDI chained with Deckadance since theyre in the same host. Havent really seen Deckadance around on someone's laptop though.
musiclee 7:22 PM - 17 April, 2015
cool, thanks for that info.

If Serato doesn't do it, I am sure Traktor will, sooner or later
Mike Butler 3:04 PM - 18 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
VST Support please!!!

Sorry but why do you want VST support to a DJ software? Wouldn't that risk stability? How would you use VSTs with Serato? I can't think of any meaningful way to use VSTs in a live setting while DJing.

Just curious.

For me it would be putting an EQ on the master out bus for room compensation (saves carrying an external box), plus maybe a decent bass enhancer like MaxxBass

Mike
Will08272 5:08 PM - 19 April, 2015
Midi Clock out, sub smart crates and upgrades to the SP6. Sync for dvs users for the SP6. That alone would drastically change things on the front end and then regular back end optimization.
Sludgeguts 4:57 PM - 24 April, 2015
Markers every 8 bars on the waveform and progress bar instead of minute markers.
Sludgeguts 4:59 PM - 24 April, 2015
Easy syncing of music and crates between 2 computers via google drive of msft onedrive.
AlxRyde 10:12 PM - 24 April, 2015
^Google Drive and OneDrive integration would be absolutely insane. Especially if it were implemented like how Traktor has it with the Traktor DJ app. I currently have all my music backed up via OneDrive and run it live from there.