DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato DJ with Surface Pro 3

dj soops. 6:11 AM - 13 April, 2015
youtu.be

I tested the Surface Pro 3 with the Pioneer DDJSX & Serato DJ...I used this setup for a few hours and the performance seemed to be solid (even with a USB hub). This could be a viable DJ solution, if it can survive a "live environment"
GusGomez 6:14 PM - 20 April, 2015
Quote:
youtu.be

I tested the Surface Pro 3 with the Pioneer DDJSX & Serato DJ...I used this setup for a few hours and the performance seemed to be solid (even with a USB hub). This could be a viable DJ solution, if it can survive a "live environment"

Ive been using this set up (SP3, TT's,Mixer and SP1) since November for all kinds of gigs and have had no issues at all...I love my Surface pro with my TT's mixer and the SP1.
dj soops. 8:09 PM - 23 April, 2015
Nice one...you confirmed my initial thoughts. Planning to do a wedding with the SP3 next.
ooo_its_curt 6:18 PM - 3 June, 2015
Quote:
youtu.be

I'm currently using a MacBook Air with Serato, but I want to switch to using my Surface Pro 3. My only issue is when using Serato on my SP3, the waveforms don't play/display smoothly. They animate choppy and I can't seem to figure out why or what's causing it. Do you have this problem on the SP3 or do they play smoothly?
GusGomez 6:44 PM - 3 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
youtu.be

I'm currently using a MacBook Air with Serato, but I want to switch to using my Surface Pro 3. My only issue is when using Serato on my SP3, the waveforms don't play/display smoothly. They animate choppy and I can't seem to figure out why or what's causing it. Do you have this problem on the SP3 or do they play smoothly?

I've never had that issue do you have the CoreI5 with 128gb?....also i don't have anything other than serato and mixed in key on my Surface Pro3 i have my music a on an external hard drive
Riko Roos 8:26 AM - 4 June, 2015
I noticed the jiyyering waveform during one gig only. Never happened again...
The only disadvantage I have with tablet use is the useless search field ;)
Will08272 3:15 PM - 4 June, 2015
For those of you using the surface, are you using controllers or any of the rane mixers/interfaces. Im more then likely going to be getting the next surface and with it possibly only having one usb port i wanted to be sure of the performance with using a hub whether powered or not and an interface/mixer.
GusGomez 3:25 PM - 4 June, 2015
Quote:
For those of you using the surface, are you using controllers or any of the rane mixers/interfaces. Im more then likely going to be getting the next surface and with it possibly only having one usb port i wanted to be sure of the performance with using a hub whether powered or not and an interface/mixer.

I use to use a hub and had no problems but i purchased the Docking station and completely love it. I have the Epsilon mixer with two TT's SL3 box, and the SP1 controller.
Will08272 3:37 PM - 4 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I use to use a hub and had no problems but i purchased the Docking station and completely love it. I have the Epsilon mixer with two TT's SL3 box, and the SP1 controller.

Thanks for the quick response, the docking station is something i was thinking of picking up also it just made sense for the use case I envisioned. By anychance do you have a stand you use it on would like to see how it looks sitting on a stand while being docked to get an idea of the space it takes up. Ever since they first announced the surface i always thought atlease for me it was the next best thing to simplifying the current laptop DJ setup.
Riko Roos 8:17 AM - 5 June, 2015
I kepp my rig super simple and don't use anything other than:

Powercord -> Tablet -> USB -> DDJ-SR -> Line-Out
GusGomez 2:46 PM - 5 June, 2015
Quote:

Thanks for the quick response, the docking station is something i was thinking of picking up also it just made sense for the use case I envisioned. By anychance do you have a stand you use it on would like to see how it looks sitting on a stand while being docked to get an idea of the space it takes up. Ever since they first announced the surface i always thought atlease for me it was the next best thing to simplifying the current laptop DJ setup.

Assuming you have the type cover with the docking station you should be able to use any dj stand just like a normal laptop...I use a stand to the side of my rig to set it up ( like this www.amazon.com ) but i have also used the normal DJ stands (the ones that go over the mixer) if you want you can checkout my IG ( gusgomezofficial ) i have some pics on there.
watchman 8:18 AM - 20 October, 2015
Anyone using Surface Pro 3 with 1.8 Beta