Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Learn: Karaoke Support

ginoyg 3:47 AM - 14 April, 2015
So this is great, now I can do my karaoke shows on Serato. BUT, what about a waitlist for my singers, what about background music in between singers? Will that be possible in the next update? If all this is available with our personal banner popping up when the background music pops up this would be perfect. Surely you guys can do it ten times better than Virtual DJ.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 5:34 AM - 14 April, 2015
Hey ginoyg,

This is just the first iteration of support for these filetypes but that's great feedback for us.

Hopefully we can continue to work to improve Karaoke support in updates in the future.

Sam.
dj-jv 8:36 AM - 14 April, 2015
Great job, can't wait to start to see how karaoke players will contribute to future serato kok.
DJ Yaitanis 12:32 PM - 14 April, 2015
Does anyone know where we can get Karaoke music? is there a monthly subscription???
Tactictoe 12:59 PM - 14 April, 2015
This is GREAT. But as ginoyg said, a singer rotation would be even better. Remembering singers and their position in the rotation, being able to add a list of songs to the singer but selecting only one to play per rotation, and removing it on play. Really though to cater for karaoke dj's... They will want a few things that would change Serato in unnecessary ways for normal use. A separate program would be a better way to go. Serato KJ!
Joey Tunes 7:38 PM - 14 April, 2015
I'm assuming this is functional as the actual music is on an MP3 but, is Serato capable of writing to the tags as with regular MP3's and MP4's?
Joey Tunes 7:41 PM - 14 April, 2015
Is there a default file folder similar to "all audio" and "all video" that says "all karaoke"?
DJ Dax 3:12 AM - 15 April, 2015
Hi Serato, I'm very happy to hear this! I have a ton of Karaoke discs just sitting in cases. Do you guys recommend a karaoke ripping software to rip to .cdg and .mp3?

Thank you!

Dax
DJ Unique 5:33 AM - 15 April, 2015
Quote:
Hi Serato, I'm very happy to hear this! I have a ton of Karaoke discs just sitting in cases. Do you guys recommend a karaoke ripping software to rip to .cdg and .mp3?

Thank you!

Dax

this for me as well
Tactictoe 4:05 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Dax

this for me as well

I used Audiograbber (its been free since its release, over 10 years ago) to rip all of my discs (over 15000 tracks). It was relatively painless and I was surprised to find most discs were available in the cddb and I did not have to input cd names or track names for a lot of my discs.
DJ Dax 9:26 PM - 18 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Dax

this for me as well

I used Audiograbber (its been free since its release, over 10 years ago) to rip all of my discs (over 15000 tracks). It was relatively painless and I was surprised to find most discs were available in the cddb and I did not have to input cd names or track names for a lot of my discs.

Awesome! Thank you! I noticed it's strictly for Windows operating system, anything you suggest for Apple OS?
Tactictoe 10:58 AM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:

Awesome! Thank you! I noticed it's strictly for Windows operating system, anything you suggest for Apple OS?
Hrm not that will rip to MP3+G sorry.
DJ Dax 8:14 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Hrm not that will rip to MP3+G sorry.

Ok, thank you! I'm sure there's something out there, I'll keep looking.
djlyx007@yahoo.com 8:22 PM - 22 April, 2015
If I purchased a bunch of karaoke CD's that have the visual also (CD+G) but when I load in my iTunes and drag it out it shows as an m4a file. How do I convert that to be able to see the visual on serato??
D4nny_Dee 8:38 AM - 23 April, 2015
As a Mobile Dj this is AWESOME for me, I have always used Virtual Dj for my karaoke needs, but having to switch back and forth from Virtual DJ to Serato for my tracklist is a right pain in the A*se. I have over 20,000 tracks in my karaoke collection, but 80% of my collection have been converted into a ZIP file, which I find is a lot mote tidy and Virtual Dj because Virtual Dj can read ZIP Files also without having to UNZIP first.

So if you guys can create the support for ZIP files and folders in future updates, and add the karaoke tracklist availability, then that will be the icing on the cake for me :-)

Serato Rule!! :-)
DJ Dax 3:38 PM - 24 April, 2015
Quote:
As a Mobile Dj this is AWESOME for me, I have always used Virtual Dj for my karaoke needs, but having to switch back and forth from Virtual DJ to Serato for my tracklist is a right pain in the A*se. I have over 20,000 tracks in my karaoke collection, but 80% of my collection have been converted into a ZIP file, which I find is a lot mote tidy and Virtual Dj because Virtual Dj can read ZIP Files also without having to UNZIP first.

So if you guys can create the support for ZIP files and folders in future updates, and add the karaoke tracklist availability, then that will be the icing on the cake for me :-)

Hi D4nny_Dee what software do you use to rip your Karaoke Cds?

Thank you!

Dax
D4nny_Dee 12:00 AM - 25 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Dax

Hi Dax,
Back in the day, i used to use audio grabber software, but for the last nearly 7 years now, i have always downloaded my karaoke tracks online so it downloads as a zip file. I havent used cd's in years 👍
D4nny_Dee 12:13 AM - 25 April, 2015
Quote:
If I purchased a bunch of karaoke CD's that have the visual also (CD+G) but when I load in my iTunes and drag it out it shows as an m4a file. How do I convert that to be able to see the visual on serato??

Djlyx007

Anything u load into iTunes and then want to move from iTunes to anywhere else in you computer is automatically converted into m4a, not sure why! m4a is iTunes' format for ringtones on iphones, ipads etc. as it stands, virtual dj is the best software to use for karaoke as it supports practically every type of file that exists, even zip! Hopefully serato will have these possibilities soon in their next update 😊👍
D4nny_Dee 12:27 AM - 25 April, 2015
Quote:
Is there a default file folder similar to "all audio" and "all video" that says "all karaoke"?

Very good point Joey Tunes, i hope they consider this and add this as an update otherwise it could be quite easy to play a track that you want, that is also a popular song that you may play in your gigs which may be in mp4 format, which i use as in some of my gigs to do video dj, so knowing which one is the mp4 file(video) and which one is the cd+g file(karaoke) will be vital. Having the microphone icon to show you that its a karaoke track isn't really the answer as i also have karaoke tracks that are in mp4 format also, so for me, the microphone wouldn't show on my karaoke tracks that are in mp4 format.
DJ Dax 10:20 PM - 29 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Dax

Hi Dax,
Back in the day, i used to use audio grabber software, but for the last nearly 7 years now, i have always downloaded my karaoke tracks online so it downloads as a zip file. I havent used cd's in years 👍

Thank you! What online services do you recommend subscribing to? I've been looking for awhile but was never sure which were good karaoke pool services.

Thank you

Dax
djJay T 1:39 AM - 14 May, 2015
i am trying to load my Karaoke files. I added my entire all my files to my library. however only one file appeared with a microphone. no of the files are zipped.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:36 PM - 14 May, 2015
Hey JayT,

I'd contact support and they can help you out :) support.serato.com is where to reach!

Sam.
DJ OVAFLOW 3:20 AM - 22 May, 2015
How do you create Karaoke Files?

I think i found a way in final cut Pro.
Dj DARK GABLE 11:31 PM - 1 June, 2015
i have loads of karaoke music, but need to import to serato. the vid isn't explaining it well
Graham Jay 3:50 PM - 2 June, 2015
I'm having a problem with my Karaoke when I play the Mp3+G video the lyrics go out of sync, does anyone no how I can fix this?.. I'm running Serato DJ with Serato video add on, and using a DDJ SX 1
Magnificent Dj Juicy Joe 8:33 PM - 12 June, 2015
PLease is their anyone here that can advise me i want to start karaoke in my club and i don't know were to get my karaoke songs from please i need the help THANKS
djJay T 11:59 PM - 12 June, 2015
buy someone's library is the the best thing to do.
PetrofDjs 7:40 AM - 18 June, 2015
Good day. Can make the program to work the effects on the microphone. For earlier thanks!
Tactictoe 5:51 AM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:

I don't believe iTunes copies the graphics when you use it to rip cdg discs.

Siglos make a ripper specifically for cdg's for windows, for mac i found one called KJams that looks ok.
Tactictoe 5:59 AM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
PLease is their anyone here that can advise me i want to start karaoke in my club and i don't know were to get my karaoke songs from please i need the help THANKS

If you have internet access (wired or wireless its not a lot of data) you can purchase songs as requested during your gig. Tricerasoft (i believe thier karaoke address is karaokedownloads.ca) have a very large range from many producers.

Sometimes other sites like selectatrack are needed because they don't have the track available. Sometimes you have to buy it direct from the producers like Zoom's or Sunfly's website.

This is a good way to build your library but start straight away. Purchasing this way has a drawback in that, you can't hear what you're buying before you buy it. Brands such as Zoom are nearly always spot on though.
salt 11:39 AM - 4 August, 2015
hey guys!!! is anyone interested in selling his karaoke video files?
salt 11:40 AM - 4 August, 2015
or Advise where i can get a monthly subscription.
Askewd 5:48 AM - 1 September, 2015
I use iTunes a lot. Would it be able to read the CDGs if I put it in the same directory as the MP3s in iTunes?
D4nny_Dee 12:32 PM - 1 September, 2015
Hi Guys, This is a post for everyone that's made a post on the karaoke subject, I will try to answer all questions asked in one go ok, so here we go.....

@Askewd: Can ITunes read the CDG Files? no ITunes cannot and if you were to buy karaoke songs from ITunes, they would download as MP4 Files(M4A in ITunes case) & not MP3+G. plus at the moment, ITunes do not have much of a library of karaoke songs as it stands although I'm sure their library will start increasing dramatically over the next 12 months as the matter in hand is clearly a big problem for a lot of Dj's world wide at the moment, so I'm sure they will address this straight away.

@Salt, @Maginficent Dj Juicy Joe, @TicTacToe: @Dj Dax: Sunfly do a monthly prescription and release all the charts in karaoke format on a monthly basis so are always up to date and are spot on. A great way to keep up to date with your karaoke needs, but if you are new to the karaoke scene and currently have no karaoke library what's so ever, then it will cost you an arm and a leg to get all the classics over the last 40 years plus keep up to to date, so I would advise you to try and buy a collection off another Dj that already has it all to get you started and up to date, and then join the monthly subscription with Sunfly so that you never fall behind.

@Dj jay T: The fact that in your Serato Dj library, it only shows one of the 2 files per song with a mic next to it is correct and that is how it should be, even though you have to add the CDG + MP3 files into your library, when using Serato, only the MP3 file will show because otherwise if it was to show the both formats(CDG + MP3 files) per song, the library will show double the amount of files in your collection which is unnecessary, just drag the file with the Mic showing up into the jog wheel and it should work fine.

hope this post has helped you guys, sorry if it hasn't, Lol!!

I currently have a library of about 16,000 songs on karaoke and am up to date with this months charts in karaoke format too which has taking me years to build and cost ££££, so if any of you guys are looking to start you're collection now, then I'd be happy to get you guys started by selling you a copy of my collection, and then you can join the Sunfly Monthly Subscription to keep up to date.
If interested E-mail me @ D4nny_dee@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks.
DJ OVAFLOW 12:15 AM - 2 September, 2015
Quote:
hey guys!!! is anyone interested in selling his karaoke video files?

IM willing NEWYORK/ NJ AREA
dj tlsmooth 2:05 PM - 3 September, 2015
Will serato support ak3 files? I have over 10,000 karaoke songs in this format which I can't convert.
D4nny_Dee 2:05 PM - 8 September, 2015
@dj tlsmooth: no, not at the moment but i'm sure it wont be long before serato supports all formats for karaoke like virtual dj does, which will help us all out a great deal :-)
KdjLeon 12:12 PM - 17 September, 2015
A smart type file for karaoke would be handy
like 'CDG' to search songs

And a exclude cdg so the karaoke files don't show in music.
KdjLeon 12:15 PM - 17 September, 2015
Also

karaoke rotation is nice ..

BUT a folder for Singer Names / Folders are better!
KdjLeon 12:23 PM - 17 September, 2015
can anyone help

Im trying to work out the best way to add karaoke files (keeping it on a external HD)

Should i let iTunes handle this (can it?)
can you load CDG into iTunes with out issue?

I use iTunes to sort my music its been very good for music & Video sorting & playlist

IF iTunes can i can sort the playlist as i want, search only Karaoke / CDG files, Arrange Singers Songs & Venue lists.. like Kjams
KdjLeon 7:34 PM - 22 September, 2015
hello again folks... thought i try something else for ease..

Question i asked..
can we use iTunes to sort Karaoke tracks..

answer

you cannot load CDG into iTunes

Fail...

iTunes only picks up music bit, and ignores the graphics...

so serato then only see's the file as music not a CDG file..
KdjLeon 7:54 PM - 22 September, 2015
Searching for karaoke

This might help with a smart folder...

I'm still working on it.... if anyone has a better solution to this please post!

using a renaming feature in serato (like in itunes, to rescan) one you don't use i.e. 'Composer' tab

use 'Composer' Tab enter 'KARAOKE' to enter ID3 info

then a smart folder to search for only Karaoke in composer saves a lot of time looking though everything

I am fairly new to this, so apologies if i have this wrong

i have a lot of karaoke tracks 700gb 130000 songs
and this takes a long time on last years best macbook pro 15"
DJ Phreakem 4:02 PM - 23 September, 2015
Finally.....I love using serato dj but as a moble dj i also cater to karaoke. I hate using vir****dj but i had to till now kinda. Any dj that uses karaoke files can tell you that we have our karaoke library in this two formats mp3+g and Zip files. Any chance that it will be able to read zipfiles in the near future.

also it would be great if you could add a karaoke folder. So it won't mix up your music with karaoke file, like what you did to separate music and videos.
DJ Phreakem 4:03 PM - 23 September, 2015
Finally.....I love using serato dj but as a moble dj i also cater to karaoke. I hate using vir****dj but i had to till now kinda. Any dj that uses karaoke files can tell you that we have our karaoke library in this two formats mp3+g and Zip files. Any chance that it will be able to read zipfiles in the near future.

also it would be great if you could add a karaoke folder. So it won't mix up your music with karaoke file, like what you did to separate music and videos....
CaptainShake 8:36 PM - 29 September, 2015
Need support for Serato DJ to work with ZIP files, or else my file system is going to look crazy. Take some tips from the people that made kjams.
D4nny_Dee 8:42 AM - 30 September, 2015
Hey guys, listen up! I can see a lot of you are having problems so here is the best way to solve your problems with separating your karaoke search to your music files. Put all your karaoke files onto an external hard drive, add a smart file in your Serato playlists and name it 'karaoke'. then click files, find the external hard drive, click on it to find the karaoke folder, and then drag and drop the karaoke folder into the smart file that you had named karaoke at the side, where the playlists are.
wait for Serato to read and scan the ID3 files and once done, click analyse files.
once your Serato has analysed the files, its a job done.

1. your karaoke folder will now only come up when you connect the external hard drive.

2. when searching for a karaoke song, click on the karaoke playlist(on the left), then type in the song you want in the search bar and it will only bring up your karaoke files and not any of your music files.

3. drag and drop the karaoke song you want(or press load on the controller that you are using) and you are done, ready to rock and roll with your karaoke and music organised separately.

hopes this helps guys :-)
KdjLeon 6:33 AM - 4 October, 2015
First week & 3 karaoke events using this fabulous karaoke from serato..

I normally use a Pc with Sax & Dotty, an moto 24bit extrenal Sound card & Denon MC6000 MK2

Moved to Serato Video/Karaoke on Mac (Macbook pro 2014)

The sound improvemnet from the same karaoke tracks, is astounding ... the regulars are commenting on the sound improvements on the same tracks that they have sung for years with me (ev PA sound system) ... so they notice the tracks are so much better! I could not be happier :)
KdjLeon 6:38 AM - 4 October, 2015
Note on key change...

I run regular karaoke twice-Three times a week, I have a some very very good singers, some with key change needs...

after some research on key change, and test pitching the fader up/down 0.3% seams perfect for +1/-1key

It sounded right

this was perfect, and the clients are happy!

Denon MC6000mk2, turn off pitch key lock first! then pitch +/- 0.03%
atlvideoguy 8:46 PM - 5 October, 2015
Will you please include .zip support for Karaoke files? .zip is a standard karaoke file format.
D.J. Todd 5:43 PM - 5 March, 2016
I would love to offer Karaoke but there are so many issues with karaoke from getting quality karaoke files, to updates to licensing. Do you see Serato making an agreement with ASCAP, BMI & SESAC etc. to offer karaoke files? Why not make it proprietary like Whitelabel.net so the karaoke files would only work with Serato Karaoke. That way music companies, venue owners and KJ's would all be happy! This is needed and I bet that a lot of DJs/KJs would gladly pay for this type of blanket license to bring Karaoke out from the shadows. MAKE KARAOKE GREAT AGAIN SERATO! Thank you.
DJ MUSIC ROCKA 2:38 PM - 5 April, 2016
I am interested in this Karaoke service or version but I don't know where to start. Is there a Karaoke Video pool? How do we get the correct videos? Can anyone help me with that?
loraine 7:10 AM - 19 September, 2016
in the video he has it open where it says favourites on left hand side and has karaoke files at the top of screen and he dragsthe files down where does one find that i cant find it anywhere.i would love to be able to do karaoke and functions.
KdjLeon 11:22 AM - 19 September, 2016
Get videos from xtendamix.com
Very good quality and the cheapest legal way!
KdjLeon 11:25 AM - 19 September, 2016
I made a smart folder with Karaoke and one for videos too
Use the composer as the sort folder to find or tag 'karaoke' or 'Music video'
James Todd 12:07 PM - 14 June, 2018
Dear Admin,

As an owner of a blog focused on Karaoke, I thought you’d be interested in a new Karaoke product that should be available in the next 2-3 months. The product is called Karaoke Surgeon – and it will be the FIRST product that can open any type of file used by Karaoke enthusiasts – audio, video, or karaoke formats – change the key, tempo and/or EQ – and then save again in any of these formats. And it does this while preserving any lyrics that are stored in these files.

Here is a link to a short video which explains the product in greater detail.
Watchvimeo.com

If you’d like to learn more about the product and put yourself on a notification list, so you can be contacted when it is available, please complete the form on this page.
www.karaokesurgeon.com
If you’d like more information, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

James Todd
Developer, Karaoke Surgeon
suka_68 8:43 AM - 11 September, 2018
Thank you for sharing this useful information, I will regularly follow your blog
vex-3.com
11:58 PM, 4 Aug 2022
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com