DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Worth buying a TTM57 Mk1?

Jason S 8:53 PM - 8 April, 2015
I migrated to Traktor a couple of years ago after the Rane scratch mixers became a little unaffordable (for me anyway!) but I'm considering coming back to Serato to compare with Traktor Pro. I currently use an S4 with 1210s but am thinking of buying a used TTM57. Are people still using Scratch Live or has everyone moved over to Serato DJ? Are the TTMs reliable long term? Any advice gratefully received!
Detroitbootybass 6:15 PM - 9 April, 2015
A lot of us still use Scratch Live - mostly because we prefer it over Serato DJ.
Jason S 7:25 AM - 11 April, 2015
Yeah, I got that impression from the forum (which is still far better than NI's!).

Thanks for the comment.
pdidy 3:32 PM - 18 April, 2015
I would say large majority of the experienced professionals still use scratchlive.. Serato dj seems to be much more important to the new djs Who feel they need all of the latest features.
AKIEM 4:46 PM - 20 April, 2015
And sadly that's a reason I will wiegh on my purchase of a MKII.

- the shortcomings of the TTM I have obviously overcome/adapted to. Ive got a couple MBPs I could concievebly pick up a less used backup TTM and ride it out indefinitely with SSL. (like some technics 1200 shit)

The features I want on the MKII I have been working without all these years and the interesting 'gimmicks' I want to work with in SDJ will probably only be done in the studio anyway - which means there are a whole lot of other options for 'trying' SDJ in the lab. I could even do something as wacky as try traktor with all the cash saved not purchasing a MKII :(

(speaking of the possibly unconfigurable MKII software control section BTW)
monchi 2:30 AM - 21 April, 2015
Who has them in stock right now and offers great price / customer service
DJoldschool 11:44 AM - 11 May, 2015
Well I've got the TTM57 Mk1 now and love the old school feel and the faders are great. Finding the effects much more complex than on the NI Traktor S4 though, need some patience :)
Tommy R 4:32 AM - 22 May, 2015
I'm in love with my MKII.
DJoldschool 2:48 PM - 24 May, 2015
Are the effects controls any good?
DJ Doug Collins 11:16 PM - 28 May, 2015
I have been using the 57SL since it came out, and I believe it's easily the best mixer I've ever owned (and I've owners a LOT of them). I did recently purchase an MKII, and while I consider it a massive upgrade, both in sound and ease of functionality, I firmly believe a 57SL and Scratch Live is still a great combination. Let's be honest. The old 57 and Scratch Live just plain work well. And if you teach yourself how to properly use the old 57, it may very well be all the mixer you ever need.

I only upgraded because I am a working DJ who plays on fairly significant sound installations most of the time, and I felt like I needed that upgrade. That said, if you're more of a hobbyist or someone who only occasionally plays in front of crowds, a nice condition 57SL is still an awesome mixer.
AKIEM 12:21 AM - 29 May, 2015
I agree, a 57SL, Techs and SSL on a MBP is an excellent system.

My hope is that the MKII, Techs and SDJ on a future Mac works out as that same level of long lasting excellence.

Thats my upgrade path and its mostly because I am after some long awaited features changes (like split cue) . If you don't need/want anything else TTM57 is excellent.

The only problem, Ive ever had is the ribbons falling out of connection and I had to play from the headphone jack.... plugged it back in and its been perfect. Oh, and getting the buttons to always fire - deoxit.

If all you need is SSL....
Jason S 12:31 AM - 29 May, 2015
Hey cheers for the comments! I'm loving the 57 now (especially after the Deoxit!) but still finding triggering effects clumsy. Do you use an external controller at all?
Tommy R 2:18 AM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Hey cheers for the comments! I'm loving the 57 now (especially after the Deoxit!) but still finding triggering effects clumsy. Do you use an external controller at all?

Reloop Neons. Love them😜😜😜
AKIEM 2:31 AM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:

Personally, I only use two effects. I use the internal delay (echo) with the FlexFX routed through the AUX trick (which is one thing I hope is done better on MKII). And I use an SSL effect triggered by the joystick - whatever the crazy echo slow down one is.
DJoldschool 4:37 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Reloop Neons. Love them😜😜😜

Reloop Neon - with SSL? I can only find info about it working with Serato DJ..