Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

I thought SERATO was meant to be PROFESSIONAL? Refund please?

Hawthy 3:18 PM - 7 April, 2015
This makes absolutely no sense to me what so ever...
I'm a very experienced computer user with 10 years +, and have dabbled in most aspects of computing and about a years worth of DJing on a real level. As in not playing around on Virtual DJ.

For the best part of my time DJing I've used Traktor Pro 2. With a MixTrack Pro, they work seamlessly together albeit with a remap to remove some useless functions.
Now every club I go too, or tutorial I watch most people seem to be using Serato to mix their music, which makes sense because Traktor and VDJ are outdated in terms of functionality.
(The same reason I'm here)

The laptop I use is a HP Omen (i7 2.4GHZ - 256gb SSD - 16gb RAM - 860m GTX)
Not really a slow computer, with Windows 8.1
I've just done a fresh install of Windows and Serato

As I've just purchased a Pioneer DDJ-SZ + Serato DJ for £60 something?
(It's in the post, should be a week or so)

So I think to myself, whilst I'm waiting for my new Decks and Serato DJ to turn up. I'll use the Serato 14 Day Trial to get used to it and to slowly move away from Traktor.

These are my main issues with Serato that I cannot fathom. Literally drives me MAD.

1. I cannot activate the Serato trial. No matter what email I use. It just asks me to buy Serato or enter a Serial. (About two months ago I install Serato for about 30 seconds before realising it uses my Mixers sound card which doesn't function so the trial on this email was wasted).

Even after deleting Serato, re-installing windows and making sure there are NO files in my music library or %AppData% or anywhere else. It still wont let me use Serato Trial, just show. "14 Day Trial Activate". Then shows "Enter/Buy license".

2. Why do you use my mixers sound output only? If age old DJ Software, VDJ and Traktor can use any soundcard I would like, why can't Serato use my soundcard of choice?

So I get over that, buy/fix my MixTrack Pro's soundcard and get an RCA cable. Wire it through my Stereo Mix and finally out of my soundcard of choice. Using Serato DJ Intro... due to issue number 1. Would it be difficult to add this to Serato or is it never going to happen?

These are the issues I've encountered before I've even got my products yet. I'd like some help and/or explanation to why you have made it difficult for even the most tech savvy people about?

Is it worth me cancelling my order for at least Serato, or both just so I can re-order a Kontrol S8 with Traktor to keep what I'm happy with?
Mr. Goodkat 4:56 PM - 7 April, 2015
if u liked traktor i think i would stick with traktor.
Davideon 5:14 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
if u liked traktor i think i would stick with traktor.

This
AddamXavier 5:41 PM - 7 April, 2015
I think part of your issue is a missunderstanding about how Serato DJ operates based on your exposure to Traktor/Virtual DJ.

Activating a trial/purchasing Serato DJ standalone allows you to use it with 'Serato DJ Ready' hardware. Since you have purchased the Pioneer DDJ-SZ and that is 'Serato DJ Enabled' (you don't have to purchase Serato DJ separately), I can only assume that you possibly believe activating a trial will unlock additional features without hardware connected. It does not.

If you activate a trial and do not connect a 'Serato DJ Ready' device, it will not change anything. Only when you plug in a compatible device will the interface 'open up'. Serato (both DJ and Scratch Live) have never allowed you to gain full functionality without hardware hooked up. In fact, I remember the days before Scratch Live had an offline player.

A Numark MixTrack Pro is 'Serato DJ Upgrade Ready' so if you were planning on using that for messing with Serato DJ (and the purchase issue came up) before getting the DDJ-SX, just disregard what I was saying above.

As far as purchasing issues, that can typically be resolved if you create a support ticket. The activations can sometimes get hung up and will require Serato support to resolve.

While I won't be as blunt as the others were about sticking with Traktor, from what you have written, Serato would be a significant change for you and might not potentially go with your workflow. Since you already ordered the SZ, I would say play with it for a few days and return it if you aren't into Serato DJ (if the return policy allows that of course).
938MyDJ 7:01 PM - 7 April, 2015
Or burrow/buy a Macbook Pro to get all the best juice out of SDJ.
pdidy 7:33 PM - 7 April, 2015
serato is not for you cancell your order delete the program and go back to tractor.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:35 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
serato is not for you cancell your order delete the program and go back to tractor.

2nd that motion 👋
LargeFarva 9:18 PM - 7 April, 2015
Serato licensing model is different than NI. First, disregarding Traktor Scratch, which is different, Traktor generally works by purchasing your software license, and then you can manually route the audio through a generic 24bit soundcard. Traktor gets paid for their software, notwithstanding piracy, and you use it with hardware of your choice.

Serato is a much more closed and controlled model. Serato's solution to piracy, back in the day, was authenticating the software license for use through hardware and "giving" the software out for free. The hardware then acted as a dongle (read: key) for the software, and the cost of the license is built into the "official" hardware which effectively solves license piracy as you can't just pirate a supported soundcard.

This means you don't need to purchase a Serato DJ license for the SZ, since the DDJ-SZ acts as your dongle for Serato DJ as it's "Serato DJ Ready". This is what is meant by the DDJ-SZ including Serato DJ; it doesn't come with the license. That being the case you can't just use Serato DJ with any soundcard, it has to be a supported device, some of which do require a license purchase. The Mixtrack Pro is supported but it requires the license purchase as it is "Serato DJ Upgrade Ready". For any device that isn't supported by as "Serato DJ Ready" or "Serato DJ Upgrade Ready", you simply can't use it with Serato, until it is added.

So your choices are to wait for your DDJ SZ, purchase the license so you can use the Mixtrack Pro, as well, or return it all and go to Traktor.

As for as Traktor being less advanced than Serato DJ ... I actually disagree. I prefer Serato but I also have a TSP 2 license and there's no question in my mind that the Remix Decks and MIDI mapper simply blow away anything Serato can offer at this point. Their open standard toward sound interfaces is way better than the hybrid system Serato uses of license bundled with some gear, purchase required for other gear, and not compatible with others.
LargeFarva 9:26 PM - 7 April, 2015
Also, aside from third party utilities like Pioneer's drivers for their supported DJM mixers, the audio routing within the mixer is "closed", too. Serato DJ does not let you configure this. Just another thing to be aware of. It goes hand in hand with model of having a list of specifically supported devices as those devices are also cannot be altered in their function.

If this is something you don't like, you'll have to weight it against jumping ship from NI's platform (or any of the other options out there, from VDJ to Algoriddim, etc.)
Hawthy 8:06 AM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
A Numark MixTrack Pro is 'Serato DJ Upgrade Ready' so if you were planning on using that for messing with Serato DJ (and the purchase issue came up) before getting the DDJ-SX, just disregard what I was saying above.

As far as purchasing issues, that can typically be resolved if you create a support ticket. The activations can sometimes get hung up and will require Serato support to resolve.

While I won't be as blunt as the others were about sticking with Traktor, from what you have written, Serato would be a significant change for you and might not potentially go with your workflow. Since you already ordered the SZ, I would say play with it for a few days and return it if you aren't into Serato DJ (if the return policy allows that of course).

That's pretty much what I was planning to do, use the 14 day trial to get used to Serato before my DDJ turns up. I'm quite aware you need a controller to use Serato ;) says my MixTrack is compatible though. Bought the DDJ online so have ironically 14 days to send it back without any problems. Thanks for your reply.
Hawthy 8:07 AM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:

My laptop is running OSX Lion, but explain how the OS makes any difference at all?
Hawthy 8:13 AM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Serato licensing model is different than NI. First, disregarding Traktor Scratch, which is different, Traktor generally works by purchasing your software license, and then you can manually route the audio through a generic 24bit soundcard. Traktor gets paid for their software, notwithstanding piracy, and you use it with hardware of your choice.

It's a shame Serato can't work this way too, I'd like to just buy it and use anything of mine with it.

Quote:

Serato is a much more closed and controlled model. Serato's solution to piracy, back in the day, was authenticating the software license for use through hardware and "giving" the software out for free. The hardware then acted as a dongle (read: key) for the software, and the cost of the license is built into the "official" hardware which effectively solves license piracy as you can't just pirate a supported soundcard.

This is hurting their users though? Pirating will always happen sadly. People who pirate will pirate they don't buy stuff anyway. Seems strange they want to annoy the people (me) who do want to pay for it?

Quote:
This means you don't need to purchase a Serato DJ license for the SZ, since the DDJ-SZ acts as your dongle for Serato DJ as it's "Serato DJ Ready". This is what is meant by the DDJ-SZ including Serato DJ; it doesn't come with the license. That being the case you can't just use Serato DJ with any soundcard, it has to be a supported device, some of which do require a license purchase. The Mixtrack Pro is supported but it requires the license purchase as it is "Serato DJ Upgrade Ready". For any device that isn't supported by as "Serato DJ Ready" or "Serato DJ Upgrade Ready", you simply can't use it with Serato, until it is added.

That's even more bizarre as the shop I bought the DDJ-SZ came with a Serato upgrade.

Quote:
So your choices are to wait for your DDJ SZ, purchase the license so you can use the Mixtrack Pro, as well, or return it all and go to Traktor.

As for as Traktor being less advanced than Serato DJ ... I actually disagree. I prefer Serato but I also have a TSP 2 license and there's no question in my mind that the Remix Decks and MIDI mapper simply blow away anything Serato can offer at this point. Their open standard toward sound interfaces is way better than the hybrid system Serato uses of license bundled with some gear, purchase required for other gear, and not compatible with others.

I completely agree with the sound interface, but i prefered the sound sampler, I cannot get on with their remix decks any more. I hoping Traktor 3 will be an improvement.

I get the feeling I will simply have to go back to Traktor.
maarawoe 8:15 AM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:

Please do so...
Hawthy 8:18 AM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Please do so...
Are you not able to have a discussion?
pdidy 9:22 AM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

My laptop is running OSX Lion, but explain how the OS makes any difference at all?

you must be new here, its pretty much common knowledge that serato runs significantly better on Mac osx.
Hawthy 12:02 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you must be new here, its pretty much common knowledge that serato runs significantly better on Mac osx.

Thank you for explaining and if it genuinely wasn't obvious from my first post, I am new here, as it was my first post ;) and only Serato DJ Intro works.
LargeFarva 4:12 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

This is hurting their users though? Pirating will always happen sadly. People who pirate will pirate they don't buy stuff anyway. Seems strange they want to annoy the people (me) who do want to pay for it?

Pirating cannot happen with Serato's model. The software is free. Anyone can go download it. You need a certified device to use it. You cannot pirate a physical piece of hardware. You can steal it, but that's not the same as piracy, as physical theft is unquestionably criminal whereas software piracy falls in a grey area of criminalization and enforcement. And even if you did steal OSH, it all has registered serial and device information (how authentication works) and it could be possible to find stolen hardware if Serato chose to write in a back door "beacon" so to speak. Not saying they did, but it's easily possible and the easy possibility of it is a good theft deterrent.

It could also be possible to crack the device authentication algorithim, but Serato claims this is tightly integrated into the software, and doing so could risk corrupting the software entirely, rendering unfit for reliable performance. Such a risk is not worth all the effort.

Software authentication is "annoying" but serves a very valid purpose.
Nocturnal2014 5:07 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:

Serato should stop advertising that SDJ runs on Windows then. I've been using SSL on Windows for years with no problems. Upgraded my laptop to something with higher specs to use SDJ and get nothing but audio glitches and no help other than "try a new computer" which is BS since my computer more than meets the requirements.
Mr. Goodkat 5:19 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Upgraded my laptop to something with higher specs to use SDJ and get nothing but audio glitches

ever thought you might be doing something wrong?
Konix 5:21 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Pirating cannot happen with Serato's model

Er, not entirely true...
Davideon 5:24 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Serato should stop advertising that SDJ runs on Windows then. I've been using SSL on Windows for years with no problems. Upgraded my laptop to something with higher specs to use SDJ and get nothing but audio glitches and no help other than "try a new computer" which is BS since my computer more than meets the requirements.

sdj is more process hungry than ssl. Windows is supported by sdj but if you read up on it serato always advise using a mac. Just because your pc is above min specs doesn't mean you will get flawless perfot
Davideon 5:24 PM - 8 April, 2015
Performance
Nocturnal2014 7:00 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Upgraded my laptop to something with higher specs to use SDJ and get nothing but audio glitches

ever thought you might be doing something wrong?

Definitely, but on a brand new laptop and going through the complete optimization guide for windows i'm not really sure what it is I could be doing wrong? SSL runs more than great. I know SDJ uses a lot more processor power but again, I am exceeding the system requirements listed. It should be running just fine. I could deal with the occasional usb dropout but i'm getting all out audio glitches that requires me to restart SDJ. Only response I have received from Serato is to try another computer.
Davideon 7:11 PM - 8 April, 2015
And have you tried another computer to help isolate the problem?
Nocturnal2014 7:20 PM - 8 April, 2015
I have not. I just run SDJ and deal with it. I don't have the money to invest into another laptop or computer when I just bought one that more than exceeded Serato's requirements for SDJ. If SSL run's just fine it's likely not the computer. IDK i'm not here to bash Serato, just hoping they can look more into it. I am not the only one this is happening to. I remember seeing Mac's having similar issues with Maverick a while back and the issue was taken care of from what i've read.
pdidy 7:31 PM - 8 April, 2015
Nocturnal2014, what computer are you using ?

are you familiar wih dpc checker www.thesycon.de ?
Nocturnal2014 7:38 PM - 8 April, 2015
i'm using an Acer Aspire with an i7 and 8 gb ram. I have run dpc checker and it stays in the green, no red spikes at all even when getting USB dropouts light in Serato. I've also optimized everything for windows.
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:59 PM - 8 April, 2015
Serato just runs like shit on windows pc's regardless of specs,

hell they won't even reveal what testing machines they use

serato.com

probably because none of them can run it on max settings without dropouts,

put mac osx on that very same laptop and you'll see the difference
Davideon 8:06 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
i'm using an Acer Aspire with an i7 and 8 gb ram. I have run dpc checker and it stays in the green, no red spikes at all even when getting USB dropouts light in Serato. I've also optimized everything for windows.

And it's definitely the usb dropout light in sdj and not the limiter light (looks the same and in a very similar place)?
Nocturnal2014 8:18 PM - 8 April, 2015
Its the orange warning light that turns to red and then an audible pop can be heard. After about an hour I get nothing but audio glitches. Music sounds like it's under water and gets distorted. All while dpc is all in the green. I can't figure it out. Wifi is disabled and the laptop is only a few months old. The laptop is used ONLY for Serato. Library is not big at all and all files are scanned. I have tried everything and all I can do is hope a new version will eventually fix it. SSL runs great at the club on both nights of the week at 5 hours a night. Serato can only tell me to try another computer.
Davideon 8:34 PM - 8 April, 2015
Go to page 11 of the manual. Is the light that's flashing number 18 or 24 on that illustrative page?
Nocturnal2014 8:43 PM - 8 April, 2015
Sorry, I was thinking SSL when I posted that. In SDJ its the light in the upper right corner (24) the audio glitch randomly happens with or without the light.
pdidy 10:06 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
I have tried everything and all I can do is hope a new version will eventually fix it.

HAVE YOU TRIED OLDER VERSIONS of sdj ?
What is your buffer latency set at and have you tried changing it ?
Does your laptop have an AMD processor ?
Mr. Goodkat 10:27 PM - 8 April, 2015
how much the latency is at the same level as ssl?

Quote:
What is your buffer latency set at and have you tried changing it ?
Riko Roos 12:19 PM - 9 April, 2015
I am running 1.7.2 on an Acer Iconia W700 with i5 @ 1.8 and 4 gig Ram without problems at 2ms buffer. P'n'T enabled...
The only thing I had to do is disable this ACPI Battery in device manager. A common sucker on pc.

Good luck
LargeFarva 4:19 AM - 10 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Pirating cannot happen with Serato's model

Er, not entirely true...

It can't happen. The software is available for free. You cannot pirate something which is free.

It can be cracked, but that's another issue entirely, and one I pointed out.
Manny C dot com 6:59 AM - 10 April, 2015
Quote:
DJing on a real level.

Quote:
With a MixTrack Pro

i.imgur.com
Manny C dot com 7:08 AM - 10 April, 2015
Quote:
Pirating cannot happen with Serato's model.

Not for nothing, but that's what they said about ProTools. And actually, there HAVE been cracked versions of SeratoDJ floating around in the past (older versions).
pdidy 5:54 PM - 10 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
DJing on a real level.

Quote:
With a MixTrack Pro

i.imgur.com

funny and true....lol
Hawthy 9:05 PM - 12 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
DJing on a real level.

Quote:
With a MixTrack Pro

i.imgur.com

funny and true....lol

That'd make sense If I was using MixxVibes on an iPad...
These sorts of people though.
LargeFarva 1:29 AM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Pirating cannot happen with Serato's model.

Not for nothing, but that's what they said about ProTools. And actually, there HAVE been cracked versions of SeratoDJ floating around in the past (older versions).

I believe it - all it would take is cracking the authentication algorithm that authenticates that an OSD is connected. This could be done at the hardware level, somewhere in the API that handles USB bus protocol, in the Serato DJ software itself, etc. I'm not condoning it, just pointing it it's easily possible.

However, the big difference between using ProTools, or Ableton, or some other DAW is that these software suites aren't used in real time - Ableton Live is, but it can also function as just a production suite. Serato DJ cracks could fail during a performance, which makes cracking it much less appealing than a production package. Just my 2c.
Nick Sheldon 9:48 PM - 13 April, 2015
Have you tried a different USB cable? I had an audio glitch on my NV and it came with a dodgy lead. Swapped it out and it's fine. Don't believe all the Mac fanboys they have had their fair share of problems and it cost them three times as much. Serato runs fine on windows. My spec i7 8gb ram (xps17). Just stuck an SSD drive in and installed 8.1. Boots up to login in 5 seconds. Serato runs fine too.
not of your business 12:31 PM - 14 April, 2015
Just pack it all and I'll pay you what you the £60 that you spend to get the Pioneer DDJ-SZ + Serato DJ .

Just email me
Heltino 3:03 PM - 14 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
DJing on a real level.

Quote:
With a MixTrack Pro

i.imgur.com

funny and true....lol

That'd make sense If I was using MixxVibes on an iPad...
These sorts of people though.

no. the mixtrack pro (even the name is a joke) is a total beginner stuff and nearly the opposit of "DJing on a real level".

the jump from this controller to a DDJ-SZ is as well like a change from a Fiat 500 to a Bentley.....that you´ve ordered SDJ for additional cost sounds as well strange.
The DDJ-SZ comes with this. You real like to tell me that you change from a 200bugs cheap shit to a 2 grands pro shit without informing yourself upfront? Serato page, Pioneer page, hardware reviews....everywhere is clear stated that the SZ comes with SDJ.

For me the whole story sounds very strange....
deejdave 11:41 PM - 14 April, 2015
Rule of thumb is any DJ hardware with the word "Pro" in the model (Not Brand) is usually not a pro model.............. for what it's worth.
Nocturnal2014 2:39 PM - 24 April, 2015
Well, I have updated to 1.7.5 and the annoying dropout light has gone away. Hopefully it stays that way.
Heltino 5:20 PM - 24 April, 2015
1.7.5?

latest version is 1.7.4?!
wadup 5:23 PM - 24 April, 2015
Quote:
1.7.5?

latest version is 1.7.4?!

serato.com
Heltino 9:25 PM - 24 April, 2015
sorry, I messed it up.
I use myself 1.7.5 :-)