Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Serato video or Mixemergency

djo-106 12:20 PM - 1 April, 2015
Looking to get into video mixing. What is your preference? Does it matter? (ME 3.0) Just released. Thx!
skinnyguy 1:18 PM - 1 April, 2015
me
DJ Baby Boy 2:21 PM - 1 April, 2015
MixEmergency hands down
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:40 PM - 1 April, 2015
Another for ME.....
SeriousCyrus 9:15 PM - 1 April, 2015
Yeah, me, sv has improved, but me is miles better in every aspect
Frozone 9:34 PM - 1 April, 2015
ME
Rebelguy 11:15 PM - 1 April, 2015
I would compare it to going to a war. Serato Video would be a knife. Mix Emergency would be a laser guided missile.
Code:E 3:17 AM - 2 April, 2015
ME is the way to go.
skinnyguy 6:20 AM - 2 April, 2015
Don't tell 2green about this thread... =P
DJ Baby Boy 7:38 AM - 2 April, 2015
Quote:

LMFAO
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:50 PM - 2 April, 2015
Quote:

My whole thing with that thread was if Serato video can do just much as he says way in the world is Serato themselves keeping this info from us??

I mean surly it would help them I would think......
hornsmaniac 6:08 PM - 2 April, 2015
ME....no doubt
djpuma_gemini 5:18 PM - 6 April, 2015
If you own a mac go with ME; if you own a pc buy ME and then buy a mac to use ME with.
The couple grand will be well worth it for ME and a mac.
tdepaz 9:35 PM - 16 April, 2015
Does ME give you better frame rates? I'm only getting about 20 - 25 using serato video on my macbook pro with an i7 processor 8gb memory and 512mb video card. also 512gb hard drive 5400 rpm. Thanks.
skinnyguy 12:34 AM - 17 April, 2015
better everything
PopRoXxX 3:58 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
better everything

This. Anyone that does video, this is all you need to know. lol
PancraZ 7:38 PM - 19 April, 2015
I own both. Haven't used SV ever since I purchased ME. Ive been using ME for 2 years now.
GRiNDBoX 10:41 PM - 26 April, 2015
ME!!
Johnny.S 6:26 PM - 26 September, 2015
When I got the SP1 from Pioneer I got the serato video license free. I messed with serato video last year and no problems for me ... So my question is what are the differences between the current serato video and mix emergency 3?

Is the $199 purchase really worth it?
Code:E 7:10 PM - 26 September, 2015
Quote:
When I got the SP1 from Pioneer I got the serato video license free. I messed with serato video last year and no problems for me ... So my question is what are the differences between the current serato video and mix emergency 3?

Is the $199 purchase really worth it?

That is like saying my smart car gets me point A to point B is a Ferrari going to be any better.

Yes it's better. In every way shape and form.

Check out ME's website. And I suggest everyone read's ME's manual cover to cover so you have a full understanding of the features that are at your disposal. Once you have done that you will probably have a %50 understanding as to what you can do with ME over Serato Video.
tuneturner 2:40 AM - 28 September, 2015
ME is way better than Serato Video but there are a few odds and ends to consider.
- Serato Video is very basic in features and application. It is not a resource hog.
- ME will bump up your CPU usage a bit but nothing your processor shouldn't be able to handle. I have noticed sometimes it gets a little choppy and the discs on Serato will reflect this too. Have not noticed this with Serato Video Running.
- In my opinion there is no real place for ME to go on your screen. Most, including me change the screen to Extended and place the ME windows in the wave bars. If you pin it I feel like I am constantly moving it to get to or see something. If I unpin it I am now screen switching.
- Code:E is correct you need to read the manual and play with it to understand all the features and how it works. There are FX and settings it seems like everywhere.
Code:E 3:23 AM - 28 September, 2015
Quote:
- In my opinion there is no real place for ME to go on your screen.

I disagree. It is very subjective. There are so many panels you can have open and dont need. It also has a lot todo with your laptop and your screen resolutions. I run my retina maxed out, and there is TONS of wasted space on either side of the decks. And if I used 4 deck mode there would be even more.

Option 2 which I seen another guy do was to not run Serato Full screen but to shrink it's height and use the space above serato to put all of his ME controls.
tuneturner 4:03 PM - 28 September, 2015
I guess it's subjective but I only have 3 windows open, the preview, the control and the media panel. The media panel I will toggle off from time to time and all the others I toggle on when needed. I've messed around with screen resolution but my eyes (and I am sure other people too) aren't the best anymore so raising the resolution makes it a little tougher to see.
popnwave 5:02 PM - 28 September, 2015
I love ME, but yes I've always envied the docking of Serato Video. I always feel like I am blocking something with rocking the ME.
PopRoXxX 7:22 PM - 28 September, 2015
I've actually made it to where I block nothing on Serato with ME during my main playing
Code:E 7:59 PM - 28 September, 2015
Quote:
only have 3 windows open, the preview

You have the 3 windows all in one piece? You can make it into 3 widows and put each preview with each deck.
Quote:
raising the resolution makes it a little tougher to see.

Apperently nobody I know can see my screen. I like seeing as many tracks as possible, so I cranked it from day one so I'm used to it.

Quote:
I love ME, but yes I've always envied the docking of Serato Video.

I always found serato video (and the effects and the record, hell every tabe execpt the bridge) to be massive wastes of space. I find ME doesn't waste any space. \

I'm going to screen shot my system layout and post it later. If anyone else wanted todo it I would like to see how other are laying theres out.
djnak 3:39 AM - 29 September, 2015
Quote:
I've actually made it to where I block nothing on Serato with ME during my main playing

+1 only my output preview window sits over the 2 middle sample banks...

everything in M.e. is midi map-able....so it all mapped and labeled on my ipad, so I really do not need any of the windows other than the preview screens open over Serato...
Code:E 5:00 AM - 29 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

+1 only my output preview window sits over the 2 middle sample banks...

everything in M.e. is midi map-able....so it all mapped and labeled on my ipad, so I really do not need any of the windows other than the preview screens open over Serato...

Oh ya i forgot about that. For awhile I used my iPad to show me what was going on in ME, That's the joys of a proper MIDI out.
tuneturner 7:12 PM - 29 September, 2015
Quote:
I love ME, but yes I've always envied the docking of Serato Video.

I always found serato video (and the effects and the record, hell every tabe execpt the bridge) to be massive wastes of space. I find ME doesn't waste any space. \

I'm going to screen shot my system layout and post it later. If anyone else wanted todo it I would like to see how other are laying theres out.

You almost sound like a shill for ME LOL. Love to see the screen shot, might help me grasp your explanation better.
Code:E 11:13 PM - 29 September, 2015
Quote:
You almost sound like a shill for ME

I don't know what a Shill is, but sure. I Promote ME, just like I promote any product I truly believe in.
tuneturner 11:52 PM - 29 September, 2015
A simple definition of shill is someone who promotes a product and secretly works for the company so others think the opinion is unsolicited. I respect the fact your promote the product you believe in. ME is a premium product it's just a tough fit on the screen for me. I am really interested in your screen shot when you can. Thanks.
Luke Annett 2:16 PM - 2 October, 2015
I bought Mix Emergency specifically because Serato Video chews up too much cpu usage. I was struggling to even reach 20fps with Serato Video. ME does it with ease.
DJMark 11:42 PM - 2 October, 2015
Quote:
- Serato Video is very basic in features and application. It is not a resource hog.
- ME will bump up your CPU usage a bit but nothing your processor shouldn't be able to handle. I have noticed sometimes it gets a little choppy and the discs on Serato will reflect this too. Have not noticed this with Serato Video Running.

This is the very first time I've ever seen someone describe ME as being more resource-intensive than either the old Video-SL or Serato Video. My personal observations (on numerous different MacBook Pros) and those of everyone else I know that has compared the two have been that ME runs much more efficiently.

It would be interesting to see some details about your hardware, maybe you have something really unusual going on.

As to "shilling", yes it's done by plenty of companies. A well-known German company specializing in cheap knock-offs of other companies' products was notorious for that, going back to the old on-line "newsgroup" days.... rec.pro.audio was full of their crap in the late 90's. I'm quite confident that's NOT the case with Inklen/ME...partly because the product simply sells itself a lot more effectively than any "shilling" could ever accomplish.
Joshua Carl 7:33 PM - 3 October, 2015
Fact. Me is much less of a resource hog.

The breakdown is on their site
And it's been echo'd by many users over the
Last half-decade
Code:E 10:12 PM - 4 October, 2015
Code:E 10:18 PM - 4 October, 2015
Pic 1 and 2 are how I play normally.

Pic 3 has the overlays tab open. I have it mapped to my midi controller to have it open and close. I really only use it 2-3 times a night tops! Some nights not at all.
popnwave 3:07 PM - 5 October, 2015
Quote:

Pic 3 has the overlays tab open. I have it mapped to my midi controller to have it open and close. I really only use it 2-3 times a night tops! Some nights not at all.

Not a bad idea.. I like the opacity on the Control window.
Code:E 7:03 PM - 5 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Not a bad idea.. I like the opacity on the Control window.

Ya I was very happy with how that works out. If you use a MIDI controller for your serato effects (if you use them at all) then you get the feedback on the controller of where you are with the effect. But I can see both and just choose which to focus on. I realisictly could not show that part but once in a blue moon the effects on the deck dont clear and I have to manully clear them.
tuneturner 1:46 AM - 6 October, 2015

Code:E - Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for me (and others). I see what you are talking about now. Crates and songs are a tough read for me on a 13in MBP. I am going to play around with it. Thanks again.

Quote:
Quote:

This is the very first time I've ever seen someone describe ME as being more resource-intensive than either the old Video-SL or Serato Video. My personal observations (on numerous different MacBook Pros) and those of everyone else I know that has compared the two have been that ME runs much more efficiently.

It would be interesting to see some details about your hardware, maybe you have something really unusual going on.

As to "shilling", yes it's done by plenty of companies. A well-known German company specializing in cheap knock-offs of other companies' products was notorious for that, going back to the old on-line "newsgroup" days.... rec.pro.audio was full of their crap in the late 90's. I'm quite confident that's NOT the case with Inklen/ME...partly because the product simply sells itself a lot more effectively than any "shilling" could ever accomplish.

Not sure what to tell you - it's just what I am experiencing. Here are my specs.
OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5
MacBook Pro (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)
Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core I5
Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
SSD (Flash Storage) 500 GB

Again, I know the CPU usage meter is not the best on the Serato software but I do see it move from about 1/4 usage to 1/2 usage when using ME. I also experience a slight visual chop on the waves and dials as they rotate on Serato when using ME. I used to use Memory Clean on my 2012 MBP but did not install on this laptop. I will reinstall and check the usage and see what it says.
Code:E 2:35 AM - 6 October, 2015
Quote:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

That doesnt exist.

The 12 inch macs are not pro's. They are consumer level computers. Hell the Pro's aren't really pro's anymore either, but a 12 inch isn't top of the line by any means.
tuneturner 2:51 AM - 6 October, 2015
13-inch typo - calm down.
Code:E 3:11 AM - 6 October, 2015
Quote:

I was worried there for a minute. I'm glad it was.
Code:E 3:15 AM - 6 October, 2015
You don't have a video card which might hurt your performance, but ME should be fine on that intel chip.

What is your waveform refresh rate set at in serato. I wouldn't put it above 30fps. I find it draws TONS of cpu/graphics power and it's not necessary to be that high. Also what is your latency set at?
DJ Baby Boy 3:16 AM - 6 October, 2015
Quote:

There's why you're having issues ... You're rockin an i5 Duo Core and also there is no dedicated graphics card which with the improvements that Nick has made isn't as big of a deal anymore but having an i7 Quad Core over an i5 Duo Core will greatly help ... Also look into upgrading your ram if at all possible
tuneturner 12:55 PM - 6 October, 2015
Quote:
What is your waveform refresh rate set at in serato. I wouldn't put it above 30fps. I find it draws TONS of cpu/graphics power and it's not necessary to be that high. Also what is your latency set at?

Waveform refresh rate was maxed so I will back that down. Latency is at 10ms. Thanks.

Quote:
There's why you're having issues ... You're rockin an i5 Duo Core and also there is no dedicated graphics card which with the improvements that Nick has made isn't as big of a deal anymore but having an i7 Quad Core over an i5 Duo Core will greatly help ... Also look into upgrading your ram if at all possible

I have a I7 Quad core on my back up. It's a couple years old but I will test it on there. Thanks.
Joshua Carl 3:36 PM - 6 October, 2015
Remember if it's the first few releases of i7s they are NOT TRUE quads.
They are duo's hyper threaded
2010/2011
DJMark 6:49 PM - 6 October, 2015
Quote:
Remember if it's the first few releases of i7s they are NOT TRUE quads.
They are duo's hyper threaded
2010/2011

The 2010 15/17-inch MBP's were dual-core. Starting with the "early 2011" 15/17-inch MBP's, they've been quad-core.

None of the 13-inch MBP's are quad-core and none of them have a discrete GPU.

Easy to tell how many cores you have: if it's quad-core, you'll see Scratch Live or SDJ analyze 8 files at a time (hyperthreading).
WobbieG 6:24 PM - 11 September, 2017
Hi All,

Venue where I play want me to start using Videos. I have Serato Video, but when I play it, Mac gets very hot.

I've heard ME is better for this?? Is this true, is it worth the extra expense?
popnwave 6:50 PM - 11 September, 2017
It's going to get hot no matter what doing video, SMC fan control and Mix Emergency might help a little.
lvmez 1:34 AM - 13 September, 2017
Quote:
Hi All,

Venue where I play want me to start using Videos. I have Serato Video, but when I play it, Mac gets very hot.

I've heard ME is better for this?? Is this true, is it worth the extra expense?

I would suggest getting ME if your doing videos at a venue. Very stable and not a CPU hog like SV.

User friendly and tons of features.