DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technical Rehearsal/Performance Bridge Question involving Rane TTM-57SL

Gio Alex 3:10 PM - 31 March, 2015
To my understanding Ableton recognizes the TTM-57SL as an audio interface. Would I be able to route some FX in ableton to the Mic input in the 57 as well as Looper for vocals? OR would I need a separate interface? This would NOT be for a condenser mic btw. Just an SM58.

Basically my idea is to use an APC-40 to launch clips and trigger FX. Connect a footswitch to the APC-40 for vocal looping, and use TTs and 57 for blends and scratches with songs from Serato.

I think this should be fine, just trying to confirm.

Thanks in advance.
AKIEM 9:14 PM - 6 April, 2015
Pretty sure that will not work. I don't think the mic input can route through the USB.
Gio Alex 9:18 PM - 6 April, 2015
Quote:
Pretty sure that will not work. I don't think the mic input can route through the USB.

Interesting. I would've tested it already but couldn't find my apc-40 adapter since I haven't used it in forever. Then again. I can always use my audio interface to route the mic. The thing is, if it sees the TTM-57 as a sound card then why wouldn't it recognize the mic input?
AKIEM 11:36 PM - 6 April, 2015
With core audio you can select Line 1 or Line 2. But when SSL is running CA is not available.

But try it out. I've tried something similar a bunch of different ways....

Ultimately I was annoyed with how he bridge actually worked and finally I just got an external loop station.
Gio Alex 12:48 AM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
With core audio you can select Line 1 or Line 2. But when SSL is running CA is not available.

But try it out. I've tried something similar a bunch of different ways....

Ultimately I was annoyed with how he bridge actually worked and finally I just got an external loop station.

Gotcha. Do you think it would make a difference with a 61? I'm gonna give this a shot tonight. If it doesn't work I can always us an external audio interface. Pretty annoying having to add more components.
Gio Alex 2:16 PM - 7 April, 2015
NO dice. Like you said about the 57. Ableton only sees input 1&2 aka channel 1 & channel 2. I tried my audio interface but you can only select one at a time.

I wonder if a 68 would make a difference.

This is a bummer. Side note, can any mixer with midi record fader and eq automation or is it just Rane/Serato mixers?
Gio Alex 3:31 PM - 7 April, 2015
I suppose this answers my question...
serato.com
AKIEM 3:36 PM - 7 April, 2015
Yup.

For several years I've been trying to do some things / looping / live remixing / and finding a comfortable workflow - just not going to happen.

I'm starting to diversify, buy modular to see if I can get things snapped up.

There is always one small feature limitation or whatever.... sigh
Gio Alex 3:37 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Yup.

For several years I've been trying to do some things / looping / live remixing / and finding a comfortable workflow - just not going to happen.

Fuck, what a let down :/
AKIEM 3:42 PM - 7 April, 2015
Yup :(
Code:E 5:37 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
I wonder if a 68 would make a difference.

Yes it would. because you can plug in BOTH USB cables and split the sound card internally and use more channels for ableton.
Quote:
This is a bummer. Side note, can any mixer with midi record fader and eq automation or is it just Rane/Serato mixers?

Just rane mixers.
Quote:
Quote:
Yup.

Fuck, what a let down :/

I tired many things like this and never got them to work.

So if i'm understanding you right you want to be able to use abletons looper and effects on Serato.

The problem I ran into was delay. If you got a thunderbolt sound card with 2in 2 out and using the effects send return on the mixer that would be best... But like I said the delay I got with the SL4 made it unusable.

Sorry after re reading your 1s post. 1st thing you need todo is ditch the 57 and get into a 4 channel mixer. trying to run ableton into the aux in on the 57 is just going ot cause problems. What you want todo should be possible but a 2nd sound card is definitely required.
Code:E 5:38 PM - 7 April, 2015
Dont expect this to line up to serato though. The beat grid and ableton sync sucks, You r bets bet is to put ableton on a 3rd deck and beat match it in. Or just run it not synced to any deck
Gio Alex 5:55 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Yes it would. because you can plug in BOTH USB cables and split the sound card internally and use more channels for ableton.

Thanks. I read that this causes it to crash though? or was that just an old bug.

Quote:
Sorry after re reading your 1s post. 1st thing you need todo is ditch the 57 and get into a 4 channel mixer.

Yeah, after realizing my limitations I strongly started considering this. I literally just got outbid on a 68. I have a ton of mixers I can sell I suppose.

Quote:
So if i'm understanding you right you want to be able to use abletons looper and effects on Serato.

Correct! I want to use looper with a microphone and potentially use FX on that mic as well. I guess I can always use the 68 FX on the mic anyway theoretically speaking, right?

Quote:
What you want todo should be possible but a 2nd sound card is definitely required.

When it came to selecting a difference source I could not select another while the 57 was plugged in. Let me clarify, I could only chose one or the other. I have a firewire Saffire Pro 14.

Thanks again for replying btw.
Code:E 7:08 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Thanks. I read that this causes it to crash though? or was that just an old bug.

Well I haven't done it in a while. But I had no issues with it on my 17 inch mac.

Quote:
Quote:

Correct! I want to use looper with a microphone and potentially use FX on that mic as well. I guess I can always use the 68 FX on the mic anyway theoretically speaking, right?

Wait so I need to step back again.
You want to use ableton effects on you mic and ableton clips. Not ableton effects on serato tracks.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
What you want todo should be possible but a 2nd sound card is definitely required.

When it came to selecting a difference source I could not select another while the 57 was plugged in. Let me clarify, I could only chose one or the other. I have a firewire Saffire Pro 14.

Thanks again for replying btw.

Yes I know you wont be using the sound card in the 57 at all. Or in any rane mixer.
That saffire pro 14 should do everything you need.

Setup ableotn without serato running to get the clips via the apc 40 and the mic with the effects you what, then just run Serato. And you can us the bridge window to see what your doing in ableton.
Gio Alex 7:20 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Wait so I need to step back again.
You want to use ableton effects on you mic and ableton clips. Not ableton effects on serato tracks.

Yeah, the most important part is being able to use looper and fx on the mic. Looper really to be honest.

Quote:
Yes I know you wont be using the sound card in the 57 at all. Or in any rane mixer.
That saffire pro 14 should do everything you need.

Setup ableotn without serato running to get the clips via the apc 40 and the mic with the effects you what, then just run Serato. And you can us the bridge window to see what your doing in ableton.

OK, after reading this it makes sense, and I see what you're saying. I'll give this a shot. You think it'll let me use the ableton trasnport control in SSL?
Code:E 7:57 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
OK, after reading this it makes sense, and I see what you're saying. I'll give this a shot. You think it'll let me use the ableton trasnport control in SSL?

It should.