Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ Licensing Question

Inversion 2:37 PM - 29 March, 2015
Greetings all! Forgive me if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it.

My installation of Serato DJ came with my DDJ-SX. I'd like to get a small backup controller. Something very inexpensive that would get me through the gig if something happened to the SX.

Most of the small controllers are "upgrade ready". Because I own Serato (through the puchase of my SX), can I use the "upgrade ready" controllers without buying another license? Seems like I should be able to but wanted to check before I purchased a Mixtrack Edge or something similar.

Thanks for any input!
Davideon 3:19 PM - 29 March, 2015
No. You must pay for a licence
Inversion 3:11 AM - 30 March, 2015
Really?!?! Thanks for the info. That's a pity. I'm not going to pay for a license for a backup unit that will hopefully never get used. That's an unfavorable licensing model. "The other guys" aren't like that. I own a license and I can use any controller I want (and as many as I want) with their software. Serato should consider a similar model.
deejdave 3:45 AM - 30 March, 2015
VDJ www.virtualdj.com offers a per controller license ($99 for DDJ-SB, $199 for DDJ-SX, etc) which is exactly what was included with your DDJ-SX for Serato DJ.

VDJ also offers an all inclusive (VirtualDJ 8 PRO "Infinity") license for $300. Serato DJ offers a similar license for $129. This license literally allows you to use ANY supported SDJ Intro controller serato.com or SDJ Club Kit mixer
serato.com serato.com so I would say this is quite a good deal, no?

The other option could have been for Serato to force you to pay for a universal license when purchasing the DDJ-SX when you may not even ever use it.

Traktor is a whole different ballgame.

This topic has popped out tons of times but nobody has been able to produce a way this could work without introducing dongles etc. nor has anyone been able to find a way around the issues apps such as Traktor face........................... any ideas?
maarawoe 4:54 AM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
Really?!?! Thanks for the info. That's a pity. I'm not going to pay for a license for a backup unit that will hopefully never get used. That's an unfavorable licensing model. "The other guys" aren't like that. I own a license and I can use any controller I want (and as many as I want) with their software. Serato should consider a similar model.

yes - this model sucks :-(
pdidy 6:44 AM - 30 March, 2015
What's wrong with using the free intro software that comes with the cheapo controllers if it just a backup ?
Inversion 11:59 AM - 30 March, 2015
PDiddy,

I thought about this but would running DJ and DJ Intro on the same machine be bad? I feel like it would be.

DeejDave,

Why couldn't the controller act as the "dongle" similar to the way Avid used to do with Pro Tools? If the installation of Pro Tools saw a legitimate Pro Tools interface, it would open. Also, in your opinion, what are the issues with Traktor? Not that it doesn't have issues, I'm just curious as to your feelings on it.

Thanks all for the input!
pdidy 12:48 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
I thought about this but would running DJ and DJ Intro on the same machine be bad? I feel like it would be.

That would be incorrect......

This is a common question that has been discussed many times and its a fact that its absolutely no issue to install and run multiple versions of serato. I personally have every version of serato installed on all of my laptops since 2008 till present and they all work perfectly without issue.

Now that that's resolved I'm assuming there's no longer an issue ?
deejdave 3:12 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
Why couldn't the controller act as the "dongle" similar to the way Avid used to do with Pro Tools? If the installation of Pro Tools saw a legitimate Pro Tools interface, it would open. Also, in your opinion, what are the issues with Traktor? Not that it doesn't have issues, I'm just curious as to your feelings on it.

This is exactly how it works already. Both the DDJ-SX and even the newer smaller Intro controller will need to be plugged in in order to be use the online features of the software. Keep in mind the small controllers are native SDJ Intro controllers. This is what they come with and you have to pay nothing. One of the reasons the price is so low to begin with though is the per controller SDJ (full) license is NOT included like it is the DDJ-SX. It will have a per controller license for SDJ Intro instead. As pdidy said yo can have both running perfectly safely on the same machine. Just not at the same time is all.

As far as Traktor................. I am a fan of it. Just in this specific case (the licensing) I can 100% understand an alternate company not wanting to follow their patterns for security reasons.
Inversion 11:39 PM - 30 March, 2015
Thanks to you both for the input. I guess because the small controllers are native to Intro and not full DJ is where my disconnect was happening.

Any suggestions on low-end controllers. I'm trying to stay around $149. If a good controller is not possible in that range, I'll probably just get the Akai AMX even though it's more expensive and fully licensed.
deejdave 12:44 AM - 31 March, 2015
I always suggest DDJ-SB as it will be familiar to you and still has a decent feel/build.