DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Your favorite mixers and why?

eugguy 7:17 PM - 27 March, 2015
To a DJ mixer's are the heart of the setup. Everything goes through it. Over the years of spinning, many mixers have been tested, used and abused. Typically, my favorite mixer is the mixer I am always using at the moment. I've used many more mixers than I've listed, but here are some in no particular order that can qualify as my favorites.

DJM 707-bare bones, clean faceplate, 2-channel simplicity, adjustable CF tension!
DJM 909-touch effects on the unit, foot-switch, plus everything to 707 has...
TTM 56-tank, transform switch, buttery smooth CF, great sounding.
TTM 52-tank, simple
Xone 92-crazy amount of inputs, aux system, 4 band eq
MP2016-tank, beautiful, lots of inputs
Bozak-classic piece, sound
MP2015-my #1 atm, everything you need as a house dj.
Code:E 12:15 AM - 28 March, 2015
Quote:

Love this mixer. But I found it to be missing 2 things that stop me from using it today (its sitting in a box in my basement). #1 Fader curve. I like a even curve and there is no way to change the the Xone92's away from the large boost in the last 20%.
#2 MIDI on all mixer controls. There's a total of 4 knobs 1 button and the crossfader that do MIDI. Nothing else, thats not excetable if it's to be called a MIDI mixer.

Me I LOVE the DJM-2000 - Full turn knobs for filters, space to move your fingers around. LOTS AND LOTS of extra buttons and touch screen for midi mapping. tons and tons of effects that nothing else has plus 4 channels and a sound card to boot.

Else I like the DJM900.
AKIEM 12:45 AM - 28 March, 2015
Vestax PMC 05 pro
Vestax PMC 06 pro
Rane TTM56(SSL)
Rane TTM57SSL
Rane TTM57MKII - because it looks like it solves all the issues I have with the TTM57
DJ Baby Boy 1:09 AM - 28 March, 2015
For me it's
Numark DM 1090 (I know you don't need to rip into me for this one) - I like this because it's a very simplified tank with a pretty good crossfader ... I used one of these 6 nights a week for about a year and never had a bad expierience with it and never had fader bleed

Rane ttm56 - Absolute BEAST with great faders all around my only gripe with this was no XLR

Rane TTM57sl - Another Beast with great faders with the built in SSL integration awesome on board FX and still going strong years later

Rane Sixty-Two (Current) - I love everything about this mixer from the faders to the buttons and now the integration with SDJ ... If I could change one thing though I'd add joysticks like what the 57 has but that's the only thing I'd change
Code:E 1:38 AM - 28 March, 2015
I also loved my Numark PPD9000. Great 19 inch mixer I used it for mobiles with my CDN88 then CDN90 and Numark DMC2. Its only problem was it had to warm up else the faders were stiff.
Mr.Jace 2:18 AM - 28 March, 2015
Wow! All those mixers are nice that you guys named. The one I've been using since 2007 and still going strong with no issues is my Denon dn-x500. Pretty solid mixer, great sound quality. I like that you can move any input to any channel. There is an adjustable crossfader slopes. 3 band eq with kill on each channel. On/off switch for eq. On rear of the unit, there is an adjust talkover level control. Adjustable output line level switch +4dbu/-10dbv. Only flaw with this mixer I can find is the mono sub out. The sub output is slightly weaker than the main left /right output. I don't use it, I plug the main output into powered subs ins and run lines from subs to tops. Denon dnx500 is a great value overall. :-)
Mighty Dragon Sounds 4:36 PM - 28 March, 2015
Rane 56 thru 62
Discobee 6:21 AM - 29 March, 2015
DJM750 - the Boost effect!!
eugguy 9:17 AM - 29 March, 2015
Quote:
Wow! All those mixers are nice that you guys named. The one I've been using since 2007 and still going strong with no issues is my Denon dn-x500. Pretty solid mixer, great sound quality. I like that you can move any input to any channel. There is an adjustable crossfader slopes. 3 band eq with kill on each channel. On/off switch for eq. On rear of the unit, there is an adjust talkover level control. Adjustable output line level switch +4dbu/-10dbv. Only flaw with this mixer I can find is the mono sub out. The sub output is slightly weaker than the main left /right output. I don't use it, I plug the main output into powered subs ins and run lines from subs to tops. Denon dnx500 is a great value overall. :-)

I actually used the dnx500 as my mobile mixer...along with my trusty old numark cdn-88. It is a great value for what it brings/costs. You can actually even add a rotary unit if you please.
eugguy 9:23 AM - 29 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Love this mixer. But I found it to be missing 2 things that stop me from using it today (its sitting in a box in my basement). #1 Fader curve. I like a even curve and there is no way to change the the Xone92's away from the large boost in the last 20%.
#2 MIDI on all mixer controls. There's a total of 4 knobs 1 button and the crossfader that do MIDI. Nothing else, thats not excetable if it's to be called a MIDI mixer.

Me I LOVE the DJM-2000 - Full turn knobs for filters, space to move your fingers around. LOTS AND LOTS of extra buttons and touch screen for midi mapping. tons and tons of effects that nothing else has plus 4 channels and a sound card to boot.

Else I like the DJM900.

Yeah, I also agree with a lot of your statements on the 92. I actually rocked the rotary model, but the fuggin thing decided to crackle on me. Channels were starting to create massive amounts of static. I did everything to clear the static. Just frustrating, so what did I do? Just buy a Rane. (MP 2 0 1 5 baby...) also agree on the midi limitations of this mixer...even though plenty of dj's still work with everything it can offer.
The Oldboy 11:33 AM - 29 March, 2015
DJM 900 but that's out of using it.

would really love a go on the new Rane rotary.

I also think the DJR400 is great and want to try the newer allen & heath ones DB 7 + 9
Ulrich von Hurtem 11:40 AM - 29 March, 2015
Rane TTM54I. Everything I need, and nothing I don't. Rane build quality, headroom, excellent sound, balanced outputs, fader curve adjustment...
Robmixx 4:00 PM - 29 March, 2015
Pioneer djm 707 for the layout, crossfader and cue fader, not a fan of the independent left/right crossfader curve but workable. 10 yrs and counting
Vestax 05 pro 3 for the layout, cue fader, and the crossfader curve on top. 9 years and counting
Gemini Umx 7 for the layout, cue fader, and the crossfader curve located on the top of the mixer 13 years and counting with original crossfader.
Gemini Mx 2200 due to the layout. Love the cue toggle switch. Owned 3
Behringer Nox 404 due to the layout, cue fader, and effect on the mic for the price.

I have had lots of mixers in my 30 years of spinning but these are my favorites. I love the layout and performance, and ease of use of these particular ones the most.

I totally hate push button cue, give me a fader or toggle switch any day.
Wish list- Empath, 56s, 57sl, 05 pro IV, and Djm 909.
HighTopFade 4:14 PM - 29 March, 2015
Rane 62 : Backwards compatible to Scratch Live.

Numark DM-1800 : Really for the cool UV lights.
eugguy 5:26 PM - 29 March, 2015
Quote:
Pioneer djm 707 for the layout, crossfader and cue fader, not a fan of the independent left/right crossfader curve but workable. 10 yrs and counting
Vestax 05 pro 3 for the layout, cue fader, and the crossfader curve on top. 9 years and counting
Gemini Umx 7 for the layout, cue fader, and the crossfader curve located on the top of the mixer 13 years and counting with original crossfader.
Gemini Mx 2200 due to the layout. Love the cue toggle switch. Owned 3
Behringer Nox 404 due to the layout, cue fader, and effect on the mic for the price.

I have had lots of mixers in my 30 years of spinning but these are my favorites. I love the layout and performance, and ease of use of these particular ones the most.

I totally hate push button cue, give me a fader or toggle switch any day.
Wish list- Empath, 56s, 57sl, 05 pro IV, and Djm 909.

I love fader cues. Empath and 909 are pretty solid mixers that have that feature.
eugguy 5:29 PM - 29 March, 2015
Quote:
DJM 900 but that's out of using it.

would really love a go on the new Rane rotary.

I also think the DJR400 is great and want to try the newer allen & heath ones DB 7 + 9

Would like to at least try the DJR400...the mp2015 is everything it's cut out to be. Make sure to bring at least $2700 when testing it out, because you'll want to buy it on the spot.
Gio Alex 5:46 PM - 30 March, 2015
Ecler Nuo 2.0. Basically a vestax 06 Pro on steroids. For a mixer so small it has a ton of ins/outs with fx loop, nicely adjustable fader curves, kill switches. Even managed to fit a 3rd channel in there. Crazy! It goes on and on!

But I also have a soft spot for the 06 PRO as well.

And these lol:
DN-X600, 707, 909, DJM-T1, Empath, 57SL...
my babies
www.flickr.com
LJay 7:07 PM - 30 March, 2015
Mixers I own and really enjoy using:

Rane Empath
-cue toggle switch is genius
-4x P&G faders
-universal power and XLR outs

Rane SixtyTwo
-2 USB ports
-nice layout

Rane SixtyEight
-2 USB ports
-2 mic inputs with separate EQ's and assignable effects

Pioneer DJM707
-So beautiful between silver SL1200's

Ecler HAK360
-Eternal Crossfader <3
WarpNote 7:56 PM - 30 March, 2015
Rane 64/68/62 (Used to have the 68, sold it, still looking to get a 62)
- dual usb, sound quality, killer faders, software controls on the mixer surface.
The ttm57sl never catched on for me.. runs and hides...

Pioneer DJM-900 SRT (replacement for the 68, wanted to learn the "standard" throughly)
- nice FX, upgraded x-fader, phono inputs for all 4 channels.
- Industry standard in my part of the world.

Denon DN-X1700 (A couple of my buddies have this one)
- underestimated mixer IMO, good sound, nice layout, fun beatbraker FX, clever midi.
DJJorel 5:51 PM - 31 March, 2015
Vestax 05Pro Gold LTD
-Still the best layout on a mixer to me

Pioneer DJM909
-Great layout and dope effects

Rodec ScratchBox
-Love the layout of this mixer as well...nice and spread out.

Stanton SA5 Allies Beatdown Edition
-I know a lot of people are into knobs now, but this mixer not only had a great feeling P&G fader, but the mixer itself had no knobs.

Unfortunately, I no longer have any of these mixers in my possession. But I do live my Sixty Two...I think it's the best mixer for how I DJ.
Gio Alex 6:08 PM - 31 March, 2015
Quote:
Rodec ScratchBox

I've always wanted one of those.

Quote:
Stanton SA5 Allies Beatdown Edition
-I know a lot of people are into knobs now, but this mixer not only had a great feeling P&G fader, but the mixer itself had no knobs.

Wasn't into the knobs either but the faders were really nice on this one. Ended up selling it to a good friend who won the regional DMC a while back.
Mr. Goodkat 6:15 PM - 31 March, 2015
always liked the ttm 57 just because it was so easy and quick to work with.

the current djm srt 900 is, imo, the best that pio has come up with for a general club solution and it has sdj and a really solid efx section. pio is the general club layout that i see the most in my area.

the NI Z2 for a bargain mixer, with the 2 part midi hub and nice layout, really nice xfader, and xlr outs.
Code:E 8:12 PM - 31 March, 2015
Quote:
the NI Z2 for a bargain mixer, with the 2 part midi hub and nice layout, really nice xfader, and xlr outs.

+1
If they made a Z4 I would be very temped to pick one up.
DJ Irv 3:07 PM - 1 April, 2015
Kontrol Z2 solid mixer and ties in nicely to Traktor but, lacks send/return effects
57SL A tank with SL interface (sound card now a bit dated)
54TTM A tank and still working after 15years (weak faders)
Stanton SA-8 Features for days. Stanton should bring it back with a soundcard.
boabmatic 8:01 PM - 1 April, 2015
For me it's the TTm56 -
Sound quality , unbreakable faders and rugged..

Coming from various mixer including vestax 05 pro & pioneer 909 this blew everything out the water.

The faders that never crackle or wear out put this mixer out in a different league.

Added to that amazing sound quality and solid build it was the best.

Was tempted to say the 57 or 62 but if it wasn't for the 56 these mixers wouldn't have been so good as the core of them all stem back to 56.
eugguy 9:00 PM - 1 April, 2015
Quote:
For me it's the TTm56 -
Sound quality , unbreakable faders and rugged..

Coming from various mixer including vestax 05 pro & pioneer 909 this blew everything out the water.

The faders that never crackle or wear out put this mixer out in a different league.

Added to that amazing sound quality and solid build it was the best.

Was tempted to say the 57 or 62 but if it wasn't for the 56 these mixers wouldn't have been so good as the core of them all stem back to 56.

I loved my 56..the older model, not the 56s. I am really tempted to pull the trigger on a 62...maybe I'll wait it out a bit more.
AKIEM 10:41 PM - 1 April, 2015
eugguy, what are you holding out for?
eugguy 2:34 AM - 2 April, 2015
Just picked up a mp2015. It would hurt it's feelings to get another mixer so soon...:) haha, but in all seriousness. I will probably pick one up in the near future for my wife's setup...but secretly use it when she isn't looking.
Jiglo 3:47 PM - 3 April, 2015
Vestax PMC-08 Pro - the most perfect mixer i've ever used
Vestax PMC-05 Pro III - the first crossfader I was really happy with, capable of long detailed house style mixes (when I was still into that style), to slick scratching, but let down by the whack 2 band eq
Rane 57SL - nice slick magnetic fader that doesn't need much cleaning and lubing

Never tried a 62. I thought about buying one once or twice, but hated the fact it didn't have the pre cue fader, plus they cost up to twice as much in the UK compared to prices in the US
DJ Irv 4:06 PM - 3 April, 2015
Also have to the the Rane TTM 56S but, I'd be lying if I didn't bring up the fact it's in due of an update with MIDI support.
Taipanic 6:55 PM - 3 April, 2015
Rane MP24 - First mixer I owned and spun on, spoiled from the beginning.
Numark PPD DM1750 first mixer I bought new, workhorse.
Urei/Bozak - Luckily enough to have owned both and unlucky enough to have let them go, before their true value was realized. Always loved rotary mixers, will have the new Rane at some point.
Stanton RM100 - was good but never really liked it compared to what I previously owned.
Korg Zero4 - Still living in a coffin with my Denon HS5500s. Great first effort mixer, good FX, MIDI capable very versitile. Didn't like the sampler, no separate mic channel and the headphone output is way too low for my requirements.
Frozone 8:01 PM - 3 April, 2015
Cerwin Vega DM-1 - Kick ass 1st mixer - 2 channel - auto cross fade ( Old Skool )
Numark 1775a - 2nd Mixer - 4 second sampler - echo
Rane MP24 - Sound quality second to none - there's a reason this was an industry standard club mixer
Rane TTM57 - 1st Serato Mixer - No more sl 1 to connect
Rane 62 - Building on the 57 - no compromise build
Gio Alex 8:14 PM - 3 April, 2015
Quote:
Cerwin Vega DM-1 - Kick ass 1st mixer - 2 channel - auto cross fade ( Old Skool )

I never even knew that existed. That's some old school stuff right there. I just learned something. lol

Johnny, where you at!!?
Code:E 8:24 PM - 3 April, 2015
Quote:
Rane MP24 - First mixer I owned and spun on, spoiled from the beginning.

Spoiled... Really..... The club I still work at (been there 8 years) had 2 of them installed (1 in each room) I HATED that thing..... Mixing without channel EQ's was a nightmare. I mean it did help me with phrasing in my easy days, but dam I hated having no control.

Quote:
Rane MP24 - Sound quality second to none - there's a reason this was an industry standard club mixer

Making me fell young.... I'm not sure why it was club standard like you guys say. Maybe it had good SQ properties but really. I'm just to nerdy i guess I like features.
Frozone 8:39 PM - 3 April, 2015
Quote:

Making me fell young.... I'm not sure why it was club standard like you guys say. Maybe it had good SQ properties but really. I'm just to nerdy i guess I like features.

LOL! Keep in mind this was one of the first electronically balanced mixers, not just to have xlr outputs - The DJM 500 wasn't even on the drawing board when this mixer was hitting the clubs. If you think the MP24 was limited on features, I can only imaging your thoughts of the Vega DM-1....
eugguy 8:43 PM - 3 April, 2015
MP24 was a tank too. Love the faders feel.
Code:E 8:50 PM - 3 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

LOL! Keep in mind this was one of the first electronically balanced mixers, not just to have xlr outputs - The DJM 500 wasn't even on the drawing board when this mixer was hitting the clubs. If you think the MP24 was limited on features, I can only imaging your thoughts of the Vega DM-1....

Oh yes They where well used MP24s in my club so they must have been there from when it was built 10 years before I sarted there. I guess back that it would ahve been great.
BigWave DJ 10:48 PM - 3 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I never even knew that existed. That's some old school stuff right there. I just learned something. lol

Johnny, where you at!!?

That was the first mixer I ever owned. Used that bad boy for years! Cerwin Vega was the name back then, not so much now.
Code:E 11:31 PM - 3 April, 2015
Kinda off topic... I have been forced to go back to the DJM800 recently (from a DJM2000) and I'm noticing the way the 800 sound when you bring a 2nd track in is very shitty. I mean it's not linear at all, I'm getting odd peaks and just all around shittness. Anyone else notice this after going back to a DJM800 from the newer 2000 or 900 mixer.
Laz219 12:45 AM - 4 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Rodec ScratchBox

I've always wanted one of those.

Me too, I've never actually seen one though. Just from the pictures/reviews I've seen of it.

My favorite mixer would have to be the empath.
Just love the simple layout and smooth faders.

I was using a Mackie D.2 before that, love the faders and build on it as well- just wasn't the most reliable thing ever.
The numark DXMPRO was kind of nice, but the crossfader was insanely noisy.
Taipanic 9:33 PM - 4 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh yes They where well used MP24s in my club so they must have been there from when it was built 10 years before I sarted there. I guess back that it would ahve been great.

You ARE young Code:E, lol. For the late 80's this was heads & shoulders above the rest of the mixers available. Excellent sound quality, separate mic controls & EQ, ability to play different inputs on different channels, etc... Of course the latest gear brings a lot more control & creativity. In'86 this was a $1500 mixer when every other mixer was $299.
Code:E 9:34 PM - 4 April, 2015
Young would be 18, but I understand some of you guys have been doing this for 35 years well I'm only into for 12 years.
ninjagaijin 7:33 AM - 31 March, 2016
Anyone into Ecler?
Taipanic 2:01 PM - 31 March, 2016
Quote:
Young would be 18, but I understand some of you guys have been doing this for 35 years well I'm only into for 12 years.

ARE YOU SAYING I'M OLD??!!!

LOL, only young in reference to the equipment we were talking about. 12 yrs is a good amount of time in this area and I always see you pushing the envelope as far as creativity & performance tools - that is what keeps you young. I've been back to doing 3-4 deck mixing again after several years, you have to stay fresh and be excited at what you do.
SpareChange 3:30 PM - 31 March, 2016
The TTM57SL has probably been the best mixer I've ever had the faders are excellent both in durability and feel, love the switches (the updated ones on the 61 are a big downgrade) the layout is great as well distance between faders etc. Not to mention the outputs of xlr, 1/4 inch & rca.

Pioneer 707 was always a great basic mixer to me faders weren't quite as good as the Rane mixers but it was sturdy and was the best mixer I've had for manipulating feedback. Didn't own a 909 but the times I played on it loved it as well.

Vestax 07 Pro I never was a huge fan of the kind of weighted faders but that mixer was quality none the less and I loved that the master out level was an actual fader so you could scratch and cut in and out of the whole program. Also I think it was the first mixer I had with an aux in, so we could daisy chain them together for team routines without losing an input

Technics SH-EX1200 While it wasn't the most popular I still love that mixer the crossfader cuts have a unique sound almost cutting like a line switch and I've never heard EQ cuts like that on any other mixer when you gradually turn the knobs in a big room makes it sound like your descending down a tunnel into the center of the Earth
Mr. Goodkat 5:16 PM - 31 March, 2016
i wish i had never left the 57 tbh.

GOAT dvs mixer
Gio Alex 7:12 PM - 31 March, 2016
Quote:

GOAT dvs mixer

Still use mine. Almost got a second for 300 bucks last week. Was thinking of using it as the spare road/mobile one.
Rebelguy 2:07 AM - 1 April, 2016
Quote:
Anyone into Ecler?

I really liked the Evo 4 when I owned it.
sl1200 11:22 AM - 1 April, 2016
My home mixer DJM800, awesome sound, full midi. 8 years old and still going strong

I use the 850, 900 and 2000's at clubs and events but love my 800
Gio Alex 2:52 PM - 1 April, 2016
Is it crazy that I never really liked any of the DJM Club mixers? I've always hated the layout on them. I'm always happy when I go to a spot that has a Rane instead. Don't get me wrong, I own and love the 707 and 909, but the 4ch joints I was never too crazy about. At one point I owned a DJM-600 (needed a 4ch for mobile), but I ended up giving it away to a good friend.
eugguy 3:13 PM - 1 April, 2016
I've never been hot on the DJM line or any Pioneer mixer for fact. Gave a quick second thought on the new MK2, but nah. I am using my Rane 2015, couldn't be happier at this point.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:27 PM - 1 April, 2016
Quote:
Anyone into Ecler?

Ecler NUO4, fat ass eq knobs, midi and the sound is beautiful. Crossfader is nice as well. Plenty of ins/outs for whatever you wanna hookup.

Just an all around solid mixer, definitely 1 of my favorites.
Gio Alex 3:48 PM - 1 April, 2016
Quote:
I've never been hot on the DJM line or any Pioneer mixer for fact. Gave a quick second thought on the new MK2, but nah. I am using my Rane 2015, couldn't be happier at this point.

Especially since they had a ton of overhead, which always made it difficult to gauge where you're really at in terms of sound and redlining. Most spots I played at with the DJM club standards always had underpowered sound systems so shit just sounded awful. Just my experience though.
Mr. Goodkat 5:28 PM - 1 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Especially since they had a ton of overhead, which always made it difficult to gauge where you're really at in terms of sound and redlining. Most spots I played at with the DJM club standards always had underpowered sound systems so shit just sounded awful. Just my experience though.

i think it takes a while to get used to them but once you get it dialed in they are so basic its pretty easy. i bought an 800 to learn after my 57, def took a while but it is nice to be able to play on them since they are everywhere. I always consider it like a big SUV and the 2 channel mixers like sports cars. Sports cars are def quicker and easier for me but now with 2 or more djs playing a lot of the time 4 channels are easier.
JD WAS. 6:03 PM - 1 April, 2016
What up folks? Quick question any of you have any experience with the Denon dnx1600? Do you think it's a good buy at 500$ bnib?
Lou Dog 6:21 PM - 1 April, 2016
I have the x1600 for when I was using traktor. It's a badass mixer. Built like a tank. Great audio quality. But with traktor it's not plug in play even though it's a certified Traktor Scratch mixer. Some steps you have to go through to use it as a sound card and it can be a pain in the ass if you have to setup quick when it's acting up. (One of the big reasons I'm on serato now with a 62)

But as a mixer with an SL interface it's pretty dope. I see them go for $350 on eBay which is why I'm not selling mine right now. I paid like $800 for it new a few years back. Rather keep it than have $350. But if you can get it cheaper than $500 I'd recommend it. Hard to find a better mixer in that range IMO
Laz219 7:46 AM - 6 April, 2016
Always wanted an ecler, but they just aren't common over here (australia)
'Ecler' is still in my saved searches on ebay that I check every few weeks to see if I can pick up a HAK. I don't really need another mixer but I'd love to try out an ecler.

I'd also second not liking the DJM series of mixers, just never liked the feel of them.
I had a DJM800 for around 2 weeks (on loan while something got repaired under warranty) and while it was nice to play with it to get totally comfortable on them- I was happy to hand it back.
pdidy 8:39 AM - 6 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

GOAT dvs mixer

Still use mine. Almost got a second for 300 bucks last week. Was thinking of using it as the spare road/mobile one.

I sold my original 57 when i got my 62 but I got a deal I could not refuse a few months ago and got another 57 as a backup or rental mixer :) Its so popular in my area (Brooklyn NYC) that alot of dj's, small club and bars still use them and are in no rush to upgrade.
ninjagaijin 5:30 AM - 11 April, 2016
Quote:
Is it crazy that I never really liked any of the DJM Club mixers? I've always hated the layout on them. I'm always happy when I go to a spot that has a Rane instead. Don't get me wrong, I own and love the 707 and 909, but the 4ch joints I was never too crazy about. At one point I owned a DJM-600 (needed a 4ch for mobile), but I ended up giving it away to a good friend.

Not alone - I hate all Pio and especially the post master gain master cue - absolutely useless for when you need to have a structured gain on the master out (usually midday or lower) which makes it hard as feck to hear the blend beatmatching in the cue, unless you gain down the channel you are bringing in just for cue. So silly!! The LED meters are crap compared to other mixers, the channel faders don't specify what is unity (presumably dumbass setting aka all the way up?) and the only benefit of the separate master cue button is in case you are three+ deck mixing and want to cue two tracks that aren't currently being played. Then there's the output screw thing on the back that can make the output way too low.. then there's the silly digital effects that aren't nearly as good as a decent VCF imo.. then black face which makes it hard to see anything in a dark club, the lack of phono and line separate inputs for all channels - it doesn't even have aux send & returns for effects does it? I hate Pio!!
Code:E 5:44 AM - 11 April, 2016
Tell us how you really feel.....^^^^
ninjagaijin 6:06 AM - 11 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yep hate em!! Trying to get a good gain structure is a lot harder on DJMs than many other mixers - I even preferred the simplicity (and kill switches) of my former Numark DXM09 - it had some sound issues (third channel went scratchy/dusty on the trim) but it did the job..

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone into Ecler?

I really liked the Evo 4 when I owned it.

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone into Ecler?

Ecler NUO4, fat ass eq knobs, midi and the sound is beautiful. Crossfader is nice as well. Plenty of ins/outs for whatever you wanna hookup.
Just an all around solid mixer, definitely 1 of my favorites.

Quote:
Always wanted an ecler, but they just aren't common over here (australia)
'Ecler' is still in my saved searches on ebay that I check every few weeks to see if I can pick up a HAK. I don't really need another mixer but I'd love to try out an ecler.

Been looking at Bozaks and Eclers to see what people were using a decade or so ago - seem very very nice analogs, otherwise I'd probably go a fancy Rane if ever had to replace my A&H Xone 92 (Chinese manufactured 10 years old, silver face, runs great though still).

The E&S DJR400 looks tasty too..
dj_soo 6:19 AM - 11 April, 2016
I hate pioneer mixers. I feel like people all love to use them because of stockholm syndrome.

At best, they're "ok" mixers that don't excel at anything.
Mr. Goodkat 8:36 AM - 11 April, 2016
i think they excel at being a mixer multiple people can play on and easy enough for people to use that pretty much anyone can use.

its like a mid priced four door sedan thats fully loaded but priced with a luxury sedan price tag.
DJ Matty Stiles 9:04 AM - 11 April, 2016
Pioneer nexus series for the simplicity and ubiquity

My good old 62

And the new pioneer battle mixer that I want that I can't afford right now
Code:E 3:31 PM - 11 April, 2016
Has anyone of the people who dislike Pioneer on here used a S9?
pdidy 4:08 PM - 11 April, 2016
Quote:
I hate pioneer mixers. I feel like people all love to use them because of stockholm syndrome.

At best, they're "ok" mixers that don't excel at anything.

Quote:
i think they excel at being a mixer multiple people can play on and easy enough for people to use that pretty much anyone can use.

its like a mid priced four door sedan thats fully loaded but priced with a luxury sedan price tag.

Whats odd is people who like to hate the apple brand or mac computers tend to say the exact same thing.

Just substitute apple/mac when ever you say pioneer mixers....lol
WarpNote 4:45 PM - 11 April, 2016
Quote:

I brought my S9 to a gig with a buddy who strictly have Rane mixers at home. (68/64 and 2015) Even though he owns two bars and have djm mixers installed in both of them, (the standard, blah blah) he really dislike them, and prefer Rane. Even so, he loved my S9...
Mr. Goodkat 4:46 PM - 11 April, 2016
i dont hate them, i just think they are about 10-20% over priced although ths s9 seems to be fairly priced being that it has 2 sound cards.

Seems like most people that hate them are guys that were around when the 600 was the go to Pioneer mixer. I do think that model was the worst of the bunch and it was around much of the 2000s. I always thought it sounded awful and the faders seemed flimsy but some people still use it.
Gio Alex 5:32 PM - 11 April, 2016
Quote:

See here's the thing about that... I don't own an S9 but I know i'd probably like it. I made sure to mention that I own and love the 707 and 909, but their 4ch cool guy club mixers are think are corny. They have literally made the same mixer for the past 15+ years. Just new features here and there, but they layout drove me nuts and I never really thought they sounded better as good as they're hyped up to be. I've always thought (IMHO) that Ecler and Rane mixers sounded better.
djransom 6:20 PM - 11 April, 2016
Pioneer DJM 500-mixer was built like a tank and withstood it all, yet still managed to work consistently.

Pioneer DJM 707-another tank w/ the perfect layout for a 2 channel mixer. Simplicity and beauty at its finest.

Pioneer DJM 909-the effects put this mixer over the top along w/ the fader curve.

Rane 62-love the look of the mixer along w/ the integration of SDJ and never had any real issues when I had it.

Pioneer DJM S9-my current mixer and love it. Practice damn near everyday on this thing and I'm still learning.
Mr. Goodkat 7:00 PM - 11 April, 2016
Quote:
They have literally made the same mixer for the past 15+ years.

i think thats part of the draw. You know what you are getting and you can kinda bank on things being there.

its like the new s9, its taken a while just to get your memory to use things in a different place.

stuff like headphone cues or even the spacing from the top of the mixer to the eq (where you place your laptop or how close to a dj booth overhang/laptop stand can be placed to see the top of the mixer) or scrolling music and hitting a button on the side, instead of just clicking and loading(ala ttm57)

its like restaurants, you have to have consistency in these situations.

mixers like the allen and heath db4 look great, but you know it would take time to get used to and to even understand and comprehend what all it can do. that might take a year or 6 months of intensive package.

Same thing goes for the ttm 57, it was a basic 2 channel scratch mixer, with plenty of room to dj.

so basically it just comes down to ease of use, because at some level the most important part of a set is getting dj'ing mixing back to back songs with clean or interesting transitions.

its really why serato(ssl more than sdj) was a hit. it was basic, it had none of the traktor upgrades(better time stretch, better efx, beat jump, extensive midi capabilities), or newer SDJ additions, and people are still using it.

theres no way to say its technically better than almost every program out there, but if you were to use one program and your life depended on it(hypothetical, but sometimes your life can depend on things just like this), you would most likely chose SSL if you had the option.
ninjagaijin 1:36 PM - 13 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I brought my S9 to a gig with a buddy who strictly have Rane mixers at home. (68/64 and 2015) Even though he owns two bars and have djm mixers installed in both of them, (the standard, blah blah) he really dislike them, and prefer Rane. Even so, he loved my S9...

I would like to try some more Ranes, they seem like a good option
ninjagaijin 1:37 PM - 13 May, 2016
Quote:
Pioneer DJM S9

2.5K AUD for a 2 channel mixer.. eek!
ninjagaijin 1:39 PM - 13 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
They have literally made the same mixer for the past 15+ years.

i think thats part of the draw. You know what you are getting and you can kinda bank on things being there.

its like the new s9, its taken a while just to get your memory to use things in a different place.

stuff like headphone cues or even the spacing from the top of the mixer to the eq (where you place your laptop or how close to a dj booth overhang/laptop stand can be placed to see the top of the mixer) or scrolling music and hitting a button on the side, instead of just clicking and loading(ala ttm57)

its like restaurants, you have to have consistency in these situations.

mixers like the allen and heath db4 look great, but you know it would take time to get used to and to even understand and comprehend what all it can do. that might take a year or 6 months of intensive package.

Same thing goes for the ttm 57, it was a basic 2 channel scratch mixer, with plenty of room to dj.

so basically it just comes down to ease of use, because at some level the most important part of a set is getting dj'ing mixing back to back songs with clean or interesting transitions.

its really why serato(ssl more than sdj) was a hit. it was basic, it had none of the traktor upgrades(better time stretch, better efx, beat jump, extensive midi capabilities), or newer SDJ additions, and people are still using it.

theres no way to say its technically better than almost every program out there, but if you were to use one program and your life depended on it(hypothetical, but sometimes your life can depend on things just like this), you would most likely chose SSL if you had the option.

Totally agree - I keep finding new issues and bugs with SDJ, either accidental or inherent in the design. I use it for scanning and preparing as well as for double checking my MIK key scans/tags, but I still haven't found an excuse to want to use it (even for a decent test at home) over SSL. There are a few things that it has that I'd like to be in SSL somehow, but I would rather SSL stayed untouched (except for maybe a bugfix one decade!?) due to how (relatively) stable it is.