DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Traktor Kontrol D2 - When will SDJ users ever get something like this? Please.

Mr. Mac 5:53 PM - 27 March, 2015
When oh when is Serato ever going to make something like this available. Can't tell you how many times I've wanted to use SDJ in situations where I have to use the venue's mixer and there simply isn't any room in booth for an all-in-one controller, or ability to rewire CDJs and mixer into an SL interface. www.djtechtools.com
WarpNote 6:10 PM - 27 March, 2015
Was about to start a similar thread...

As InMusic already have the tech available, Im sure its in the works?
Something like the AKAI DJX ? Using the Numark NV screen and Akai AFX pads + transport controls? Don't need a soundcard IMO, but USB hub would be nice. Option with a jog would be cool too, something smaller than the Denon SC2000 in AKAI styling.

I'd buy that.
jprime 7:11 PM - 27 March, 2015
Full 4 channel control with DVS option, single USB please and thanks.

^^building on that Akai product would be fantastic. Excellent call
Mr. Mac 7:16 PM - 27 March, 2015
We've been requesting something like the Kontrol D2 for at least five years now.
eugguy 7:19 PM - 27 March, 2015
I have a feeling that something like this will come out for SDJ itnf. Otherwise, I'm staying the fuck away from Traktor. SERATO! Haha!
MPC O.G. 7:58 PM - 27 March, 2015
It will probably ship with a SSL/SDJ mapping and you ALL will use it until Pioneer or Akai copies it.
Code:E 8:00 PM - 27 March, 2015
Serato needs something like the remox decks before we can get a controller like that
WarpNote 3:10 AM - 28 March, 2015
Not really looking for remix decks myself. Just a solid midi with a screen...
deejdave 10:23 PM - 28 March, 2015
Quote:
It will probably ship with a SSL/SDJ mapping and you ALL will use it until Pioneer or Akai copies it.

Nothing will ever ship with an SSL mapping again but as far as an SDJ mapping................... no more of a chance than the S8 has. Neither the sound card or the screens could be used with Serato so what would be the point?
MPC O.G. 11:42 PM - 28 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Nothing will ever ship with an SSL mapping again but as far as an SDJ mapping................... no more of a chance than the S8 has. Neither the sound card or the screens could be used with Serato so what would be the point?

DJTT will have a mapping if it doesn't ship with one. And it DOESN'T say if these things have a seperate sound card in them. Who's to say what these things can, or can't do? NI sold more X1's and X2's to SSL/SDJ uses than TSP users. I'm sure they sold a lot of F1's to them too. This is business. They only want your money.
deejdave 5:55 AM - 29 March, 2015
images.search.yahoo.com

You are correct on the interfaces which I didn't even think to look for but the second part (the more important part to me) being the screens ................... I just don't see a point with the mapping if the screens (the largest selling point to these controllers) are not functional. The screen is the reason the cost will be high. Otherwise it is exactly as you mentioned an F1/X1 combined. I don't know about SDJ but in terms of SSL I completely agree with you on the F1/X1 function. I would doubt the numbers total more using them with Serato SW but I would imagine as you say it would be shockingly high. Not sure what an X2 is but I would imagine you meant X1 MK2?

As an owner of the X1 & F1 I understand using them with SSL/SDJ. As an S8 owner though I just would not wasted the time. These are really just sections of an S8 without the mixer obviously so again what would be the point. I could essentially add my SL4 and have a very similar setup (using SDJ) to what was used for the D2 Demo. The S8 controlling Midi, The SL4 being used as the sound card, and the internal mixer being used. Again without screens....... why do this? Who knows. The mappings uploaded by users that end up on the DJTT website may include these even though the S8 is nowhere to be seen but I just would not be able to justify spending the money these babies will command then omit the best part about these day one by using with alternate software.
Quote:
This is business. They only want your money.

I do agree with this but keeping this in mind it would be N.I. themselves offering the mapping not a user who will benefit in no way by uploading onto DJTT. The X1 not only came with an official mapping for SSL but it even came with a template. I simply don't think we will be seeing this for the D2 anymore than we are for the S8. They had nothing to hide with the X1 as anyone could map it to SSL with no help from anyone. They certainly have something to hide with the D2/S8's. Bottom line if there is a mapping it will not include screen support. The Audio interface is negligible as there is an easy workaround for that. The screens............ not so much.

What I would love to see is someone cracking the screen function. The problem is if anyone does it will probably be the VDJ team like they did the NV.................. still useless to me.

What we need IMO is what this thread suggests. A SDJ version of the D2 and if not a version of the S8 would suffice for me.

This is all based on speculation and opinion anyways as you said who knows what these things can or can't do. We will have to wait and see. All I do know is I tend to buy much of the gear being released these days but I will not be buying these if they do not have screen support ................. not for use with SDJ at least. Maybe Traktor.
MPC O.G. 4:24 PM - 30 March, 2015
The plot thickens.......

www.residentadvisor.net
deejdave 4:36 PM - 30 March, 2015
This is SICK!! I am certain my S8 will support this. Thanks for that :)
MPC O.G. 4:42 PM - 30 March, 2015
Yep. It ALSO completely explains the D2. They have a big write up on DJTT.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:17 PM - 30 March, 2015
So NI stole stems from Ableton and made it cheaper.......... Well played NI, well played......
jprime 5:36 PM - 30 March, 2015
Now maybe we'll see people start using their remix decks

*ducks*
Mr. Goodkat 5:54 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
Now maybe we'll see people start using their remix decks

*ducks*

lol
Code:E 6:08 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
The plot thickens.......

www.residentadvisor.net

Game Changing.... I hope Steams are not limited to only 4 tracks though. I could forsee this becoming massive for Open Format guys such as myself. Having both the Clean and Dirty audio in 1 file and choosing to mute one or the other depending on the gig. Also DOing live mashups will be amazing with this. Banging off classic 90's hiphop where you could mute one tracks vocals well bringing in the next tracks vocals only!!!!!!!

SERATO!!!! Get on this ASAP. Come out with your version befor NI does and get the market on your standard!!!!
deejdave 6:18 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
I hope Steams are not limited to only 4 tracks though.

"Stems are a new audio file that contain 4 discreet groupings of instruments, allowing any DJ to isolate or turn down the parts of their choice"

&

Producers that want to create stems will be required to add 4 steps to their existing process.

- Isolate the song into 4 groups (bass,drums,synths, vocals) ect..
- Bounce each group down separately
- Convert each bounce to Mp3
- Load the 4 Files into a Native Instruments provided “Stem Creator Tool” (available in June)

& finally

"Since stems come in a standard audio format"

Seems this is both standard and limited to four groups.

Even the picture shows the screen limiting this to four groups. I mean you never know but does not seem likely.
deejdave 6:19 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
SERATO!!!! Get on this ASAP. Come out with your version befor NI does and get the market on your standard!!!!

THIS would be epic!!
deejdave 6:20 PM - 30 March, 2015
Some of Traktor's best controllers are arguably native SDJ controllers (DDJ-SX & SZ) so it is about time to send a bombshell straight back! I use both so I don;t really care either way but my heart belongs to Serato so I would love to see this happen.
MPC O.G. 6:22 PM - 30 March, 2015
It's NI's to begin with.......That's why the S8 & D2 are made the way they are. But with it being open sourced it should be easy for Serato to incorporate this. And since it's NI's they have built in a few months headstart before the files are made public. A SSL/SDJ mapping with the D2 seems assured now.
MPC O.G. 6:24 PM - 30 March, 2015
This with Ableton Push or a Maschine running TSP would make a portable setup small enough to fit in a backpack.....
MPC O.G. 6:27 PM - 30 March, 2015
Imagine using Stems & Flip together. We SHOULD be happy about this. I have TSP & SSL & SDJ anyway. Might have to scoop a Z2 BEFORE I scoop a 62.
MPC O.G. 6:31 PM - 30 March, 2015
Another side note, there are a lot of engineers about to get PAID. I hope the redo the SalSoul catalog. I will pay whatever number they pull out their ass. Strictly Rhythm too....
Mr. Goodkat 6:44 PM - 30 March, 2015
hilarious. no one will use it but it will make for great ni vids for people to watch and pay money for. if you are a producer, why not just use ableton and controller.

serato is smarter than this after the bridge and mixtape.
WarpNote 6:52 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
This with Ableton Push or a Maschine running TSP would make a portable setup small enough to fit in a backpack.....
Or even AKAI APC or Novation Launch Control/Novation Launch Control XL ....
deejdave 7:01 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
A SSL/SDJ mapping with the D2 seems assured now.

"The mapping question is a big unknown and our sources have been mum on a response. If this controller is locked down like the S8, and we suspect it will be due to the screens, then many pro users might not adopt it."
Why did I not get the same impression from reading this article?
MPC O.G. 7:08 PM - 30 March, 2015
Watch the review on DJTT. Ean is using it with a midi fighter.
MPC O.G. 7:11 PM - 30 March, 2015
www.djtechtools.com

Scroll down to the vid. I wouldn't mind NOT having the screens. Use your ears.
deejdave 7:11 PM - 30 March, 2015
Yeah STEMS not the D2.
Code:E 9:46 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
Even the picture shows the screen limiting this to four groups. I mean you never know but does not seem likely.

Its clearly still in beta, so maybe some vocal users may convince them to change that.
deejdave 12:40 AM - 31 March, 2015
Yeah you never know. The advantage of keeping it at four is the four remix deck controls matches up.
WarpNote 12:50 AM - 31 March, 2015
Native are VERY considered with tight integration, Im guessing chances of more than 4 stems are slim atm...
DJ Demolition 6:18 PM - 8 April, 2015
The stems/mp4 file multiplies in size with every new track. i.e., the current four track configuration is four x as large as a standard MP4. Four tracks is probably the practical limit in terms of complexity and drive space consumption for the average user.

A novel idea, and could be very useful for certain track/genres, but is also likely to go the way of quadraphonics.

And no, it doesn't include a soundcard.
A_Jack 7:12 PM - 8 April, 2015
I think it could be a fun setup to have one Reloop RP 8000, a Z2 and one D2. For this kind of setup it's good to have a mini-deck unit like the D2 and I hope Serato comes up with something similar at some point. Can't see myself using just 2 D2s and a mixer though.. just too boring.
deejdave 9:50 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
I think it could be a fun setup to have one Reloop RP 8000, a Z2 and one D2.

With Traktor I am assuming?
Quote:
I hope Serato comes up with something similar at some point.

+1
Quote:
Can't see myself using just 2 D2s and a mixer though.. just too boring.

After using my S8 it IS possible but definitely not as fun without platters, etc.
DJ Demolition 4:42 PM - 17 April, 2015
After looking at the S8 for awhile, it really reminds me of the Twitch. Perhaps Novation could take a cue here, and produce the Twitch"II" based loosely on this concept. Maybe that would answer the OP's question.
deejdave 5:08 PM - 17 April, 2015
With the release of STEMS I may be satisfied using the S8 with Traktor elusively. I know N.I. is saying they want to be more open with STEMS so I am hoping Serato will be one of the first to take advantage of this.
DJ Demolition 5:54 PM - 17 April, 2015
I don't like Traktor for two big reasons.
One - beat grids aren't adjustable for irregular tempo.
Two - no comparative (combined) track view.

No amount of improvement in controller technology could make me take interest in Traktor, until those basic issues have been satisfactorily addressed. They have lost very many customers over those defects, and are fools for ignoring the problem.
jprime 9:58 PM - 17 April, 2015
I don't think Novation's biting on the idea. My money is on ReLoop
DJ Demolition 2:13 AM - 18 April, 2015
Well, someone will do it. It's just a matter of time. Everything is headed in that direction ...albeit at a snails pace.
MPC O.G. 2:31 AM - 18 April, 2015
You CAN use the D2..........It has all the functions of the X1, F1, and stem control. AND it can be used as a 4 deck controller.
DJ Demolition 2:35 AM - 18 April, 2015
I don't think the display will work.
deejdave 1:56 PM - 18 April, 2015
Let us not forget the facts. I feel like a broken record here but it is truth.

Pioneer sold over 60% of all DJ gear sold last year www.djzone.net globally. Pioneer has not really jumped into the Traktor X1, Twitch, S8, etc. platform yet. N.I. no matter how innovative they seem while remain in second is still just a part of the remaining 40% along with Numark, Denon, Akai, etc.

No matter how widespread the touchstrip/platter-less setup seems it is in fact the players containing platters (specifically Pioneer) that is winning the race by a landslide. I mean it's not even close.

NOW if Pioneer is smart which (contrary to the thoughts of some) they happen to be geniuses with an even larger budget now since being newly being taken over and they generally set the trends and standards as a whole. That being said many a times they clearly "swipe" their ideas from other smaller entities and make it their own by "perfecting" it and stamping a label on it.

As some like to hypothesize on CDJ/XDJ players are going nowhere and only getting more popular. Even in the case of the D2/X1 etc. it is most often (on the professional arena) a supplemental controller to a platter involving setup. In my experience this is by far the most capable and effective scenario. While being a great innovation and such a touchstrip is still just a compromise as compared to the infinite property of a rotating platter. A Touchstrip begins and ends while a platter is infinite.

All that being said I think Pioneer would be smart to get involved a bit more while maintaining this "sub" or supplemental mentality in mind. I am guessing they already know this as thie will only promote new sales while not affecting the sales of their bread & butter CDJ/XDJ/DJM/DDJ devices.

Just some speculation on my end but I am willing to bet it pretty close to how things will pan out.
deejdave 1:57 PM - 18 April, 2015
Quote:
I don't think the display will work.

Truth and while NOT a huge problem when deciding to use the D2 with SDJ when you already have it this would absolutely stop people from purchasing specifically for SDJ as you can't really justify $500 when the main features of the controller do not exist.
DJ Demolition 5:33 PM - 18 April, 2015
Quote:
As some like to hypothesize on CDJ/XDJ players are going nowhere and only getting more popular. Even in the case of the D2/X1 etc. it is most often (on the professional arena) a supplemental controller to a platter involving setup. In my experience this is by far the most capable and effective scenario. While being a great innovation and such a touchstrip is still just a compromise as compared to the infinite property of a rotating platter. A Touchstrip begins and ends while a platter is infinite.

Right ...and that's what I'm getting from my Twitch+TTs+VDJ setup. Four channel output, and the best of both worlds. Now, if I only had built in displays (bigger than the S8), and the other extras ...you see where I'm going? Here is DJ Shiftee, basically just making noise, but it's the same outfit I'm using, only with the S8 and Traktor:

www.google.com
Edgar Paz 7:45 PM - 7 October, 2015
All I want is the player part of the NV sold separately and preferably made by Pioneer in the style of the DDJ line.
Code:E 10:23 PM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:
NV

Quote:
All I want is the player part of the NV sold separately and preferably made by Pioneer in the style of the DDJ line.

+100000000000

I wouldnt be surprised to see pioneer come out with one at namm this year.
MPC O.G. 10:24 PM - 7 October, 2015
FANBOYS.....