DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Denon DS1 Reviews???

CMOS 5:27 PM - 27 March, 2015
Anyone have this thing yet?

I need a new SL box so I can start playing with SDJ at home and may pick this up if it works well. Time to retire the SL1.
WarpNote 5:32 PM - 27 March, 2015
Is it out yet?
skinnyguy 5:43 PM - 27 March, 2015
why not get an sl2? it goes both ways.
DJ Sgt Ninja 2:27 PM - 24 June, 2015
It will be released in July 2015. I pre-ordered mine. I decided to go with this versus Rane because it is the size of your cell phone and it cost less.
DJ Irv 5:31 PM - 24 June, 2015
With only $100 bucks separating it from the SL2 I'd say go with the SL2 and it's 3 year warranty. Also the SL2 comes with the charger which is handy. I liked the DS1 at $300 but not at $400.
DJ Sgt Ninja 5:35 PM - 24 June, 2015
I pre-ordered mine before they raised the price. Now that they raised their price they lost their selling point besides it being more compact
DJ Sgt Ninja 5:36 PM - 24 June, 2015
Also just saw on planet dj that it will be shipped to retailers june 25th
DJ Irv 5:42 PM - 24 June, 2015
Quote:
I pre-ordered mine before they raised the price. Now that they raised their price they lost their selling point besides it being more compact

At $300 that's a W right there. I was excited to jam the DS1 into mixers but, dream died when the price went up.
WarpNote 5:46 PM - 24 June, 2015
In Europe, the price difference is about 190 USD....
Logisticalstyles 5:47 PM - 24 June, 2015
Yeah same here. I think they shot themselves in the foot with the price increase. I've suddenly lost interest in it.
CMOS 7:15 PM - 24 June, 2015
Same here, not worth it for saving a hunndo.

2 hunndo was a different story.
HighTopFade 7:36 AM - 25 June, 2015
If it doesn't run Scratch Live, I'd rather have an SL2
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:20 AM - 25 June, 2015
With the Rane it is powered by a PSU (i think you have to buy this separate only sl3 and sl4 it's included) that way if you play regular cds/records then you can leave the sl2 plugged in and it will pass through. With the denon it's usb only so you have to have it plugged into your laptop and sdj open.

Plus the Rane sl2 you can use with SSL if that is a bonus to you.

Obviously we don't know what sound quality will be like vs each one yet.

I never use sl box much anymore so sold my sl3 awhile ago but if i ever need one i might pickup this denon as I don't use ssl and don't need it tobe powered.
BigK 10:00 PM - 12 October, 2015
The Denon DS1 SUCKS !!!!! Man its not plug in play like it says you have to configuration your computer to work with this thing and when i did my friend laptop one CD was just going in reverse the hole time and making strange clipping noise i DJ with a lot of people and i rent out my gear and this is not like any Sl boxes or Rane gear when you plug it in and it plays the DS1 feels like a cheap controller and the box takes way longer to boot up than any SL box even my friend SL box boots up 5 seconds The DS1 takes like 4 mins to install with Serato Dj the first time !!!Take my advise go with the sl2 it works a lot better !! I returned mine for a sl2
Jensen Määäm 10:26 PM - 12 October, 2015
Quote:
With only $100 bucks separating it from the SL2 I'd say go with the SL2 and it's 3 year warranty. Also the SL2 comes with the charger which is handy. I liked the DS1 at $300 but not at $400.

The SL 2 does not come with a power supply, only the SL 3 and 4 are coming with a power supply! You can connect the SL 2 with an power supply, you just have to buy one extra, the same way like the SL 1 back in the days...
DjWoody 12:14 AM - 14 October, 2015
Quote:
The Denon DS1 SUCKS !!!!! Man its not plug in play like it says you have to configuration your computer to work with this thing and when i did my friend laptop one CD was just going in reverse the hole time and making strange clipping noise i DJ with a lot of people and i rent out my gear and this is not like any Sl boxes or Rane gear when you plug it in and it plays the DS1 feels like a cheap controller and the box takes way longer to boot up than any SL box even my friend SL box boots up 5 seconds The DS1 takes like 4 mins to install with Serato Dj the first time !!!Take my advise go with the sl2 it works a lot better !! I returned mine for a sl2

Can you elaborate more instead of just bashing it? What system were you on? Computer specs? etc.

Thx
Gio Alex 5:36 PM - 14 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Can you elaborate more instead of just bashing it? What system were you on? Computer specs? etc.

Thx

Judging by all the bitching I wanna say a PC. I could be wrong, but I just assumed the DS1 is basically like an SL2. I imagine you can only user SDJ with it though.
DJ Ozah 11:24 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:

Yeah not sure what's up with all the hate. I'm running a 2012 i5 MBP Yosemite and it took me about 5 min to set up Serato DJ and the DS1 that includes setting up latency etc. There is a quirk with the OS not the DS1 that makes you head over to the Midi section but it's a quick fix. I had the same issue with a Pioneer Controller and SDJ Intro.

(Knock on Wood) I've had zero issues with the DS1 works like a charm I can scratch, beat juggle and it responds. I don't get any hum or anything that's where properly grounded equipment comes into play. For me it was not worth the extra $100 for a Rane box.
DJ Irv 2:31 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
For me it was not worth the extra $100 for a Rane box.

Chime back in after a few years. I interested to know how it holds up. Not saying it won't I am just interested it's longevity.
Arjun B 5:42 AM - 8 January, 2016
I'm planning on picking one up too, so I'd like to know if it's worth it after all. If not, then might aswell go the little bit further and buy the SL2 or SL3. Its $349.99 CDN now, and $299.99 US
DJ Ozah 7:01 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
For me it was not worth the extra $100 for a Rane box.

Chime back in after a few years. I interested to know how it holds up. Not saying it won't I am just interested it's longevity.

That's fair, Rane has been around much longer and has a track record. To be honest I doubt I will have this unit in a few years. I'll probably sell it and get an all in one (mixer) DJM-S9 I want the pads on the mixer or a TTM57mkII. I could see myself maybe keeping it as a back up perhaps. But starting out on a budget and not sure if DVS is the route for you. The DS1 can't be beat. It does exactly what it is designed to do and it seems to hold up well. Tiny little thing. I spent the savings on a pair of M44-7's and extra control vinyl. Really glad I did because apparently I really love to scratch and can't seem to stop practicing.

MBP 2012 i5 8GB Ram
AT-LP1240's
M44-7's
DS1
Xone 23
and one rickety table.
D.J. Tommy 3:13 PM - 20 March, 2016
Here's my review of the Denon DS-1

I'm a SSL user from 2005 my box is from 09-05 one of the first.
I thought to switch to Serato DJ after 11 years, so i went for the Denon DS-1.
Because of it's small size, and it's normal price, here in The Netherlands €349.
I did a gig and got irritated with the sound when using it.
Every file sounded like a sort of bad encoded file, the transients in the high frequencies are not good, there is not enough definition) even with high quality FLAC and AIFF, WAV to be short Lossless files.
First i thought this could be the Serato DJ audio engine, i was used to SSL.
But after testing at home a/b with my RME Fireface 400 with good quality produced tracks (Funk Soul Hip-Hop Dance) on AIFF WAV and FLAC it became apparent that the problem is with the DS-1 and not the Serato DJ audio engine.
The resolution and transients in the high frequency spectrum are not good on the DS-1, there is not enough definition in the high end spectrum!
And there is no excuse that what you pay for is what you get, high hats etc. sound dull and smutted on it!
I'm a audio DJ Producer & technician by profession and i'm curious what the experience of other users are. As is i a'm going to return this unit.
djreveal 8:18 AM - 20 April, 2016
Has anyone had a latency issue? My macbook pro is 8GB RAM 2TB HHD, I have USB Buffer size set to 1ms but no matter what the scratches are slow it's like i need to pull back on the record more than I do with SL1and SSL, the visual represents the same. I used new records and stylus so hardware is ruled out unless it's the DS-1 and/or Serato DJ. I just got this thing in the mail a week ago and I'm not really feeling this latency stuff.
Gio Alex 10:11 AM - 20 April, 2016
Quote:
Has anyone had a latency issue? My macbook pro is 8GB RAM 2TB HHD, I have USB Buffer size set to 1ms but no matter what the scratches are slow it's like i need to pull back on the record more than I do with SL1and SSL, the visual represents the same. I used new records and stylus so hardware is ruled out unless it's the DS-1 and/or Serato DJ. I just got this thing in the mail a week ago and I'm not really feeling this latency stuff.

What year is your MBP? Also, did you just swap that drive to a 2TB? I would imagine it would work better with an SSD, but i'm not sure if the 1ms is related to HD speed or processing power.
djreveal 2:15 PM - 20 April, 2016
Gio Alex,

Late 2009 MBP, I swapped the drive more than 6 months ago and only have 700GB of data on it, also this issue does not happen when I use Scratch Live with SL1 or any other SL box only with this new solution. No one else has experienced this?
Gio Alex 3:57 PM - 20 April, 2016
Quote:
Gio Alex,

Late 2009 MBP, I swapped the drive more than 6 months ago and only have 700GB of data on it, also this issue does not happen when I use Scratch Live with SL1 or any other SL box only with this new solution. No one else has experienced this?

Well yeah... SSL doesn't require the processing power that SDJ does. You went and compared two different worlds man.
Quote:
so hardware is ruled out unless it's the DS-1 and/or Serato DJ

On the contrary, hardware is not ruled out. You're MBP is already too underpowered to run SDJ. You need at least an i core process, which MBPs did not have in 2009. So the issue is NOT the Denon hardware. It's your computer.

You need a newer computer or if wanna stick to yours but want a newer box, you need to buy an SL2, SL3 which actually let you still run SSL. Any new hardware, whether it be a DVS box or Serato Mix will only run Serato DJ, not SSL. You really need a newer computer. And if it's not a retina I suggest an SSD.

See the minimum system requirements here:

serato.com
support.serato.com
Gio Alex 3:58 PM - 20 April, 2016
Quote:
Your MBP

fixed. My mistake.
djreveal 7:35 PM - 20 April, 2016
If that's the case an SSD won't help processing power. Thanks for the timely responses.
Gio Alex 7:39 PM - 20 April, 2016
I think you misunderstood. I'm saying yes, you need a newer computer, and if that newer* computer is not a retina, let's say a 2012 MBP (not retina) I still suggest an SSD. But yes, it has to do with your processor, for sure. You need something after 2011, at least.
djreveal 7:43 PM - 20 April, 2016
The i3 i5 and i7's provide more efficient but SIMILAR processing power at slower clock speeds than the predecessors that run at 2+ GHz, I will test this DS1 box with a newer MBP to see for sure though I'm still not convinced my 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo can't handle Serato DJ.
Gio Alex 7:48 PM - 20 April, 2016
Quote:
I'm still not convinced my 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo can't handle Serato DJ.

Even based on the minimum system requirements that serato themselves provided, really? You do realize the latest build is 2016 and your machine is from 2009, right?

you're looking at numbers. The i3-i7 processors are completely different. Every year or two they've changed in architecture.

www.howtogeek.com
djreveal 7:49 PM - 20 April, 2016
Yeah I just looked again you are right..
Gio Alex 7:51 PM - 20 April, 2016
Quote:
Yeah I just looked again you are right..

Just trying to help and clarify things.
djreveal 7:52 PM - 20 April, 2016
No doubt.. thanks I appreciate it man
kip 3:04 PM - 20 September, 2016
Info please:
If I buy the DS1 can I sell the software to another user as I need only the sound card or they are tied together?
Terrence Stokes 4:53 PM - 20 September, 2016
Tied together on the ds1
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:36 PM - 20 September, 2016
Quote:
Info please:
If I buy the DS1 can I sell the software to another user as I need only the sound card or they are tied together?

The software is free so nothing to sell. anyone can download install sdj then use your ds1 and it work.
kip 8:21 PM - 20 September, 2016
How is it free? It says SDJ $99 (was $129) store.serato.com
For dvs it requires another $99 or the club kit for $169.
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:25 PM - 20 September, 2016
Ya thats for intro software or clubkit mixers. The denon ds1 sdj and dvs is free the hardware is the dongle.
kip 8:33 PM - 20 September, 2016
With the DS1 I get the full version of SDJ with DVS, right? So can't I use the AMX or some of the dvs ready mixers, not thru the DS1?
Mr. Goodkat 8:36 PM - 20 September, 2016
facepalm gif
kip 8:38 PM - 20 September, 2016
Could you please explain your emotion?
Gio Alex 8:38 PM - 20 September, 2016
Quote:
facepalm gif

All of this. LOL

I see not much has changed in this forum
Culprit 9:07 PM - 20 September, 2016
kip, the software is unlocked when it connects to the ds1 hardware. There is no way to sell the software because they don't give you a key like when you buy online. The software is already paid for and unlocked with the DS1 hardware. Get it?
Culprit 9:07 PM - 20 September, 2016
plug and play basically.
kip 9:17 PM - 20 September, 2016
Thanks. So if I own DS1 and would also want to use AMX I have to pay for the DVS expansion pack for the AMX, no matter I already own a functional DVS software with the DS1?
Culprit 9:19 PM - 20 September, 2016
yes exactly.
WarpNote 9:52 PM - 21 September, 2016
Quote:
Thanks. So if I own DS1 and would also want to use AMX I have to pay for the DVS expansion pack for the AMX, no matter I already own a functional DVS software with the DS1?

There is no real reason to use the AMX as a soundcard with SDJ if you already have the DS1 connected. SDJ does not support multiple soundcards at once. (The AMX is essentially a soundcard with onboard mixing controls)

You would either get the DS1, connect it to a regular powered mixer, or get the AMX and the DVS add-on. Either / or, not both at the same time. Makes sense?
kip 11:01 PM - 21 September, 2016
Sure, never thought of using them together.
Yarik Step 11:48 PM - 18 February, 2018
I ran into the problem of distortion .... I decided to master it for 9 hours. suddenly help someone. autogain 92 Db.
OneMoabyte 10:58 PM - 25 April, 2018
I've used the DS1 for a couple years now with a pair of Denon SC3900 and its been 100% solid. I picked up one Rane Twelve and its working just fine with the DS1 and even with tghe SC3900 at the same time. The 12's use internal mode and the 3900's use relative mode. Did not expect that. I'm thinking of getting another DS1 to have control of 4 decks with 1 Twelve.
WildcardX 11:07 PM - 25 April, 2018
Quote:
I've used the DS1 for a couple years now with a pair of Denon SC3900 and its been 100% solid. I picked up one Rane Twelve and its working just fine with the DS1 and even with tghe SC3900 at the same time. The 12's use internal mode and the 3900's use relative mode. Did not expect that. I'm thinking of getting another DS1 to have control of 4 decks with 1 Twelve.

That won't work. Serato uses one device/soundcard at a time so effectively won't recognize your 2 DS1 so it will work like an SL4. If you want to have 4 deck control you would need to get an SL4 or a 4 Channel Serato Enabled mixer.
DJ Kathick 1:28 AM - 3 September, 2018
Hello Guys.

Any One helps me below query. I bought Serato DJ and the club kid also. Doing freelancing and Clubs too. My Question is If I bought Denon DS1 can I use pioneer 900 nexus CDJ's and mixers without timecode CD?
WarpNote 7:15 AM - 3 September, 2018
Quote:
Hello Guys.

Any One helps me below query. I bought Serato DJ and the club kid also. Doing freelancing and Clubs too. My Question is If I bought Denon DS1 can I use pioneer 900 nexus CDJ's and mixers without timecode CD?

Yes you can use the CDJ without timecode, here is how -> support.serato.com

Also, as you have the club kit, you can use the djm 900 nexus/djm 900 nexus 2/djm 850 or any other certified mixer without your DS1 -> support.serato.com