DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

2 DXR10 or 2 DXR12 Tops + 2 DXS15 or one EV ETX15SP?

Duri 10:49 AM - 27 March, 2015
What do you guys think is the better combination.
Music: 1980s, Funk, Soul, Drum&Bass, Jungle, some Old School Techno, background music and some classic music.

I would use the system in my small basement Disco and at events up to 150 people sometimes in larger rooms. In the basement I could use one DXS15 or the EV ETX15SP. If I have to play in a bigger room I could take the 2nd DXS15 with me. The price over here is pretty much the same fro 2 DXS15 or one EV ETX 15SP!

I wonder if the DXR10 is strong enough in the mid bass to keep up with 2 DXS15? Maybe I just spent a little extra money and get the DXR12 instead of the DXR10? On some occasions I would like to take just the Tops for background music, e.g. lets say for an art exhibition.

I already listened to 2 DXR10 with one DXS12 and the sound quality I liked a lot. With higher volume levels the Bass was not enough for me. The DXR10 Tops I liked.

Thanks a lot for your ideas and thoughts.
I appreciate it.
Cheers...
dj_soo 12:26 PM - 27 March, 2015
My DXR10s keep up just fine with my pair of Yorkville NX720Ss which is a better and louder sub than the DXS15s.

I've had up to 4 of the Yorkvilles with my DXR10s and it sounded just fine.

Those things are great.
Duri 3:36 PM - 27 March, 2015
Thank you dj_soo
Here in switzerland there is no Yorkville dealer as far as I know. Now I just watched a video about the new EV EKX series. Sounds also interesting. What do you think?

Thank you for your answer.
Mr.Jace 3:56 PM - 27 March, 2015
Yes, dxr10 would be a good choice. To answer you're question about the sub between 2 dxs15 vs 1 etx15sp. Dxs15 would be matched cosmetically and sound with dxr10, but you will get much better bass and sound quality from ev etx15sp. Me personally I like etx15sp over dxs15. It would be slightly cheaper to go with Ev rather than buying and lugging around two subs from yamaha. Ev will still give you good headroom.
rayjthedj 4:47 PM - 27 March, 2015
The EKX subs sound pretty good. If I had to describe the difference in them and the ETX subs, which I own, is EKX lacks the punch and feel in the chest that ETX has. The EKX has nice sound and volume, plus is much lighter and cheaper. The EKX definitely sounds better than the ELX sub, I think primarily because the improvements that have been made in amp and DSP technology.

The difference in cost and weight, means cheaper driver, less power and not as stiff a cabinet, which are the things that give you the punch.
Mr.Jace 6:01 PM - 27 March, 2015
Quote:
The EKX subs sound pretty good. If I had to describe the difference in them and the ETX subs, which I own, is EKX lacks the punch and feel in the chest that ETX has. The EKX has nice sound and volume, plus is much lighter and cheaper. The EKX definitely sounds better than the ELX sub, I think primarily because the improvements that have been made in amp and DSP technology.

The difference in cost and weight, means cheaper driver, less power and not as stiff a cabinet, which are the things that give you the punch.

Let me ask you this, i do have plans to buy two ekx15sp, you feel i should ditch that idea and go all in on a single etx15sp? :-)
rayjthedj 6:19 PM - 27 March, 2015
If you have the money and can handle the additional weight, you will be very happy with the ETX15SP over the EKX15SP. With both boxes don't get caught up with the limiters flashing. They give a lot of early warning and people think they are limiting, when the light goes solid, reduce your gain a couple db, or the speaker will reduce your gain by 4 db for you :)
rayjthedj 7:25 PM - 27 March, 2015
In a small room with one, in a bigger room and outside I cluster four, standing 10' to 15' away they hit you in the chest and move your pant legs.

They are very powerful for their size and being a single 15", I don't think you could get more out of a 15" sub without horn loading. The thing I like most about them is they go pretty low, and have a good tight sound. No droaning bass like a lot of cabinets. If you look at their measured response they are very flat from around 39 hz to 100 hz.
Duri 11:43 PM - 27 March, 2015
Thanks a lot to all of you. Great feedback and discussion.

He rayjthedj. You got a very nice setup. I wonder if the ETX15SP is better/sounds better then the EKX18SP? I like low and need a fast subwoofer. I like what you wrote about no "drowning bass" That is what I am looking for....

The price over here is 1700 swiss franks for the ETX15SP and the EKX will be about 1200 swiss franks I believe. I just dont know if I really need to spent the extra money? or just get the EKX15SP? I watched some videos and the DSP looked pretty good on the EKX.

I will try to listen to the EKX12p with the EKX15SP as well as with the EKX18SP and also the ETX15SP/ETX10P at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt on April the 18th. and will give all of you my feedback. I already prepared a stick with some good quality music to test the different systems.

As I mentioned before I think that Yamaha DXR10 are loud enough for me and they sounded good. I also dont know if I need the EKX12p oder even the ETX10p? Maybe I just as get the combination we discussed from before the 2 DXR10 and one ETX15SP and later maybe the ETX10P or ETX12P or the EKX12P Tops....

Anyway...Thanks a lot for your help.
I already had a german beer...to bad you could not join me over here rayjthedj
PROST...
Al Poulin 1:30 AM - 28 March, 2015
You can always get a single ETX15SP for the moment and later add a second one if you feel the system needs more low frequency. The DXR10s get surprisingly loud when hi-passed and used with subs, so should be able to keep up pretty well with a pair of 15" subs.

Al
rayjthedj 2:17 PM - 28 March, 2015
I would think that the Yamaha DXR10 will keep up with a pair of ETX15SP subs, as my ETX10P will. The ETX10P will keep up with three of my subs, but they are starting to flash the limiters.

When I go to three or four of the subs, I step up to the ETX12P. The funny thing is both the 10P and 12P tops have the same amp, DSP and horn, but the 12P for some reason works and sounds better with four of the subs, and doesn't flash the limiters as fast.
dj_soo 9:36 PM - 28 March, 2015
Quote:
Thank you dj_soo
Here in switzerland there is no Yorkville dealer as far as I know. Now I just watched a video about the new EV EKX series. Sounds also interesting. What do you think?

Thank you for your answer.

Just saying that the dxr10s are not lacking and sound surprisingly loud and good for such a small and affordable speaker.

Although I've never listened to the ekx, they sound more in line with the dxrs - that being a mid-range speaker designed and built to produce good output and sound for a decently affordable price.

The etx would be a step up and something you could grow into if you intend to eventually upgrade your tops and possibly get a 2nd sub.

I'd say it depends on what type of gigs you intend to use them for. From the gigs you mentioned, the ekx would probably be fine. If you ever want to get into a little more concert type events or do more outdoor events, the etx might be a better bet.
Mr.Jace 9:52 PM - 28 March, 2015
Quote:
If you have the money and can handle the additional weight, you will be very happy with the ETX15SP over the EKX15SP. With both boxes don't get caught up with the limiters flashing. They give a lot of early warning and people think they are limiting, when the light goes solid, reduce your gain a couple db, or the speaker will reduce your gain by 4 db for you :)

Yeah, the weight. That etx15sp at 91 pounds will be a problem going up and down stairs at my apartment on 3rd floor with a bad lower back. :-( Well, I guess I will stick to my original plans. The ekx15sp I can handle at 57 pounds. How many peeps do you think a pair of ekx15sp coupled together running with a pair of ev elx112p can hold?
Duri 10:28 PM - 28 March, 2015
Hi Al Poulin ...
Thanks a lot for response. I watched many of your videos and have to say they are excellent. That is one reason how I got to know the DXR lineup. Thanks a lot for that. I really appreciate your answer as an expert.

I think the DXR10 are fine speakers but sometimes I would like to use them stand alone for events like art exibitons for low to medium level backround music. Do you think the DXR12 would suite my application a little better because they should have more lows? Or do you think the DXR10 sound a lot better in the mid to high frequencies and have enough low end?

It would great to hear you thoughts on that.
Thanks a lot.
Have a nice day.
Cheers
Duri 10:32 PM - 28 March, 2015
Hi rayjthedy
Thanks a lot for your answer. I come to the conclusion that it is probably better for me to get the ETX15SP Sub because for what I know at the moment he will do what I want him to do.

I am just still thinking about my options with the Tops. DXR10, maybe DXR12 or maybe EKX12P oder maybe even ETX10P.

Great information and input
Thank you very much.
Take care
Duri 10:38 PM - 28 March, 2015
H dj_soo
Thank you for your answer. I will try the EKX12p at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt.
Let see how good they are. If they are similar in sound/qualiy to the DXRs then I probably will got with the DXRs since they are cheaper. A lot of the reports, reviews and opinions in different forums like the EV ETX15SP a lot.

I kind of like the idea to be able to move up in sound quality and power in the future and add the ETX10P Tops or even the EV ETX12p in the future and maybe a second EV ETX15SP.

Thanks alot for your input.
Cheers
Duri 10:42 PM - 28 March, 2015
Hi Mr.Jace
I think I can life with the weight. For me it is more a space problem and not the weight since I have a VW Golf compact size car. The EV ETX15SP I can fit well in the car with 2 Tops and a small light show. I also really like the wheels on the ETX15SP.

Thanks a lot for your input.
Cheers
Al Poulin 10:50 PM - 28 March, 2015
Quote:
Hi Al Poulin ...
Thanks a lot for response. I watched many of your videos and have to say they are excellent. That is one reason how I got to know the DXR lineup. Thanks a lot for that. I really appreciate your answer as an expert.

I think the DXR10 are fine speakers but sometimes I would like to use them stand alone for events like art exibitons for low to medium level backround music. Do you think the DXR12 would suite my application a little better because they should have more lows? Or do you think the DXR10 sound a lot better in the mid to high frequencies and have enough low end?

It would great to hear you thoughts on that.
Thanks a lot.
Have a nice day.
Cheers

If you want something that would work well stand alone for smaller stuff but also well with subs AND is lightweight like the DXR10, please have a listen to the DBR12s. I purchased one to review and have relaly been impressed by it. It is a little bigger than DXR10, but has a noticeably fuller sound and would work better stand alone than the DXR10 IMO.

Al
Duri 10:50 PM - 28 March, 2015
Hi Just1Fixxx
I also got to listen to the DXR10 with the (one) DXS12 and 2 DXR10 stand alone. With the sub it was good up to higher levels where the (one) DXS12 reached the limits. That was not enough for me.
Without the sub only the 2 Tops:
I had the feeling that here was not enough Bass. I think the sales guy did not switch them to the FOH setting which increases the lows and the high as far as I understand?
So do you think I should get the DXR12?

Thanks a lot for your input.
Take care
Cheers
Al Poulin 11:02 PM - 28 March, 2015
10s are generally not adequate for stand alone use IMO, unless the event is VERY VERY small and/or FOR VERY VERY old people. That said, I use my pair of RCF ART 310As for such events, but for anything else, it's either 12s or even better 15s on sticks. For bigger events, I use my DXR8s over my pair of DXS12subs. Even the best 10" speakers out there will sound weak in the low frequencies when used without subs.

Al
Mr.Jace 11:07 PM - 28 March, 2015
I heard both dxr10 vs dxr12. The sound is so close. The 12 will give a little more bass, but not much. Its so close , I wouldnt sweat it. Take Al Poulin's advice, go give the dbr12 a listen. I never heard them though.
Duri 11:29 PM - 28 March, 2015
Hi Al and Mr.Jace
Thanks again for your answers. I will definately check out the DBR12 at the Musikmesse in Fanrfurt, germany on the 18th of april. Thank you Al.

I also like to try the DXR10 with the FOH mode switched on. Maybe that will already do the trick for, since the small events I do require only low to medium volume.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and the input.
I appreciate it.

It is already late over here in switzerland.
I will continue to respond but tomorrow.
Thank you.
Al Poulin 12:41 AM - 29 March, 2015
As metionned, there is surprisingly little difference in sound between DXR8, 10 and 12s (although the bigger the woofer the more the "full" sound of the cabinet will remain before the limiters kick in).

A noticeable difference in low frequency extension / presence appears when you hear the DXR15s. That's why I ended up purchasing the DXR8s and DXR15s. the 8s for use with my subs and 15s for stand alone use.

Al
Duri 9:16 AM - 29 March, 2015
Hi Just1 Fixxx
Thank you for your comparison of the 10 and the 12s.
I will definately take Als advice and listen to the DBR12.

Thanks again for your input.
Cheers
Duri 9:30 AM - 29 March, 2015
Hi Al
Thank you very much for your answer.

I think I could be happy with the DXR10. I like the size, volume and the sound quality.

The DXR15 are to big for me. I prefer smaller Tops with somekind of subwoofer. I am hoping to try all 3 contenders (DXR10,12 and the DBR12) at the Yamaha Stand at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt in the 18th of april. There I hope to directly compare them. Any chance that you will go there also?

At the moment I lean (as rayjthedj also though it would be a very good combination) towards the EV ETX15SP and the DXR10. Anyway I am looking forward to test the DBR12 to see how good they are.

I had another creative idea: I get the DXR10 and the EV ETX15SP now and additionally now or later I could buy a DXS12 sub for the smaller events and then take the EV ETX15SP for my medium size events.

Great ideas and input. Thanks so much.
Greetings to you from switzerland.
Take care and Enjoy the music....
dj_soo 9:58 PM - 29 March, 2015
I wouldn't use my DXR10s standalone unless it was strictly for background music or a tiny house party where a sub would get the cops called.

FOH improves it a little, but not by all that much and you won't notice the extra bass if you move more than a few feet away from the speaker.
Duri 5:55 PM - 30 March, 2015
Hi dj_soo

Thank you for your reply. I get to think that the DXR10s are a good choice for me.
Thnaks for you information about the FOH setting.

Take care and Enjoy the music...
dref 6:43 AM - 19 September, 2016
Hey guys!

I'm looking for a pair of 12" or 10" speakers to be used with my Yamaha DXS 15 subs for about 120-180 people indoor.

I own the QSC K12 and the RCF HD 32A, and tried using them with these subs. However, the subs were overpowered.

The yamaha DXR 10 is a good option, however, the cost for a pair is approx. $2000. Just so you'll know I am based in the United Arab Emirates.

Has anyone tried various other speakers with the DXS 15's?
Just1Fixxx 7:59 PM - 19 September, 2016
Have you considered upgrading your subs to accommodate your tops?
Arjun B 4:48 AM - 21 September, 2016
Quote:

I own the QSC K12 and the RCF HD 32A, and tried using them with these subs. However, the subs were overpowered.

The HD32A should keep up with the DXS15 just fine. I would expect it to be more powerful if anything.