Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

DOUBLE TIME/HALF TIME SETTING

Mr. Goodkat 10:46 PM - 3 March, 2015
first of all, i know this is possible in a couple ways manually, im just looking for a check box in the settings.

so most people that play open format know that if you are playing an edm track at 128 and you are goin into a rap track at 64 its half time and even vice versa makes for a easy transition. Now with so many rap tracks at extremely slow tempos (50-60 bpm), its necessary to flip back an forth(otherwise things can really slow down), but IMO it makes for cool transitions and makes it easy to get back an forth from fast to slow.

also many people play by bpm range, going up or down, and seeing tracks in the general range in the playlist or library view for mixing. Sometimes, when you freestyle like that or take requests that maybe take you out of your intended mix pattern, you can lose you place mentally. you may need to get back to a faster/slower pace quickly but now you are digging in the wrong place to take it to that position.

what im suggesting is a half time/double time duplicate of all tracks as a check box so you see a 128 bpm track show up as a 64 bpm track for guys that freestyle off a playlist or the full library. Ive noticed that sdj sync already does a doubletime match ala if i sync a 67 bpm track with 130 bpm it makes the 67 bpm track 65 and not 130 so it stays at the correct tempo and not a wild 63 bpm tempo shift.

obviously for some people with 100k tracks this would be insane and not something they would want to do, but even if you have that many tracks, if they make a playlist with 100-1000 tracks its still a usable feature.

transition tracks are helpful, but i've only found a few usable ones i really like and even the ones i like sometimes are in poor audio quality so i wont use them. With just a half time mix, you dont need to edit the tracks and it can move you into a whole diff genre.

just something i thought would be cool and easy to implement and helpful for easier/more creative mixing. which is part of the reason why we are using dvs.

thanks
WarpNote 11:48 PM - 3 March, 2015
1. So you're saying only apply for selected crate/playlist?
2. Should it affect beatgrids ?
3. If so then also affect sync?
4. affect quantized effects?
5. loops, slicer....?

At first glance, I like the suggestion.
I am just trying to get a grasp of your suggestion Goodkat, figure out the logical behavior,
and how that would affect SDJ performance all over?
Mr. Goodkat 12:22 AM - 4 March, 2015
tru warpnote, i see what your saying, it is a pretty vague sugg.

i was hoping you guys could help out.

i think what really made me think about it was the behaviour of sync and how in traktor it speeds up tracks up double time, instead of how SDJ does it and it automatically half or double time the track (which is really cool btw)

i guess (2) the beatgrid would stay the same(doesnt seem to affect anything currently when halftiming)

efx, loop, slicer would have to be decided on the bpm either the orig or new track.

i guess maybe it could use a different column(clearly one that isnt used frequently, there are a few) that could maybe be listed on its own separate from the actual bpm column. then you could line them up next to each other and sort again by bpm.

more than welcome to suggestions, with 20k tracks sometimes i forget great transitions i may have playlisted/crated. More than anything, everyone has some mis bpm'ed tracks that end up double/half timed and then you use them in a mix and think, 'what a great idea, but i would have never come up with that if it wasnt bpm'ed correctly'.

with rap being so slow and by most club owner/mgmt stand points labeled hood/ghetto, its a way to slide a slow banging 60-65 bpm track in with some 120-130 pop stuff and not have to play a remix. lotta people want the song like they own it, not some edm/house/breaks mix.
Mr. Goodkat 12:23 AM - 4 March, 2015
Quote:
wasnt bpm'ed incorrectly'
WarpNote 12:45 AM - 4 March, 2015
Quote:
SDJ does it and it automatically half or double time the track (which is really cool btw)
Ah I wasn't aware, I dont really use sync for anything else than instant doubles...

Quote:
more than welcome to suggestions, with 20k tracks sometimes i forget great transitions i may have playlisted/crated.
Yup, that sounds kinda familiar ;-)
But still, Whenever I wanna change up the tempo, looking for half/double tempo isnt that hard?

I myself think that quantized fx, slicer, autoloops, should always follow the bpm of the track applied to, not some other incoming/playing track...

Interessting suggestion, just kinda wondering how useful it would be for most? And again if it would complicate/affect general performance of SDJ. Also they way you're suggesting it with separate column(s), it should be able to do with some wizard id tag scripts I guess...
DJGongshow 3:33 PM - 25 April, 2015
I have a related question... is there a way to turn off the behaviour that halves or doubles the bpm when in sync?

Symptom:

Track A is 120bpm, Track B is 87bpm. I have my pitch range set to +/- 50. Sync is engaged.
Track A is playing and master tempo is at 120bpm. I pitch Track B up to 120bpm

As soon as I start to play Track B it cuts to 60bpm.

It doesn't matter whether Sync is engaged before starting to play Track B or after, it always cuts to 60bpm.

Is there a workaround or a switch to stop this?

Thanks!
Jon