Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ - DVS Options-----Which way to go

DJWASHDOWN 4:55 AM - 28 February, 2015
Background : Primarily Mobile DJ, with a few bar/lounge events annually. 15-25 Mobile gigs a year. Main mobile set up DDJ SX

Budget - CAD $2K

I recently picked up an additional set up as a backup / home set up / I hated myself for not having a vinyl setup
- 2 technics 1200's
- Pioneer DJM 350

I'm wondering what DVS option would be best.

Rane SL2/3/4

I already have the 350 and the rane box would give me DVS capability...$500-$1300. The 350 is pretty limited, and i've got used to the perks of having full SDJ control from the DDJ SX. To drop that money to still have to touch my computer to change songs, instant doubles...etc.

Akai AMX / AFX

Initially i wanted to pick up the Akai AMX and AFX, as they are a pretty cheap DVS option, (about $500 tax in). 2 issues are that I can't find any Akai AMX units anywhere, and that it would only provide 2 channels. I've got very used to having 4 channels available to mix in acapellas / instrumentals...etc

Rane 57-64

Never used a rane mixer before, so I can't comment. I know some of local guys here use rane mixers, and seem to be the preferred choice for DVS, but again, i have limited experience. Only the 64 has 4 channels, but its $$$$$

Pioneer DJM 850 / 900

SDJ recently added these mixers as DVS upgrade ready. I like they are all 4 channel and that I'm familiar with pioneer units, again they are very $$$

If you use any of the units above feel free to drop a line, I appreciate any input you guys have!
Davideon 7:51 AM - 28 February, 2015
Sl2 and sp1?
DJ Baby Boy 10:18 AM - 28 February, 2015
As far as Rane mixers go I have the 62 and absolutely LOVE it I used it with SSL and now with SDJ since it's been supported and I have no complaints at all and the aux in is definitely a plus and where I keep my ipad plugged in as a backup (Can never be too careful with any software) ... If you already have the 350 I'd go with the SL3 that way you can route channel 3 into your aux in for samples or have the ability to record your sets via the input and I'd also add an sp1 to that for cue loop FX and sample player control ... Just my input
nik39 9:25 PM - 1 March, 2015
Quote:
I've got very used to having 4 channels available to mix in acapellas / instrumentals...etc

How would you mix in a third source if you only have two decks?
serkan 9:48 PM - 1 March, 2015
What about the Denon DJ DS1?
DJWASHDOWN 5:15 AM - 2 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I've got very used to having 4 channels available to mix in acapellas / instrumentals...etc

How would you mix in a third source if you only have two decks?

With the DDJ SX while there are only 2 physical decks, there is the ability to use double each deck. So you can activly control 4 decks at a time.

I'm hoping there is a similar ability with the rane 62 and djm 900, can anyone comment / confirm?

I'm leaning towards the rane 62, but I want to test / confirm that there is a similar option as the ddj sx and control 4 decks.
DJWASHDOWN 5:16 AM - 2 March, 2015
Quote:
on DJ DS1

I hate to sound like a "gear snob" but I will only shell out major cash for equipment from the big players.
DJWASHDOWN 5:23 AM - 2 March, 2015
Quote:
As far as Rane mixers go I have the 62 and absolutely LOVE it I used it with SSL and now with SDJ since it's been supported and I have no complaints at all and the aux in is definitely a plus and where I keep my ipad plugged in as a backup (Can never be too careful with any software) ... If you already have the 350 I'd go with the SL3 that way you can route channel 3 into your aux in for samples or have the ability to record your sets via the input and I'd also add an sp1 to that for cue loop FX and sample player control ... Just my input

Thanks for the input man i appreciate it! Can you control 4 decks with the rane 62 like you can with the ddj sx? I don't think so, but doesn't hurt to ask.

I like to have an Aux plug in as a backup in case SDJ crashes *knocks on wood* I usually use one of the ddjsx channels for aux, and I just plug in a premade mix from my iphone.

I'm seriously considering keeping the 350 and getting an sl3 and dicers or sp1, but it seems like a backwards investment. I mean sl3 is about 900 and an sp1 is 400 so it would still require quite a bit to get dvs, and I still have to touch my laptop to change songs...( i know i sound like a punk, but i guess i'm spoiled by the ability of the ddj sx)

Again, I appreciate everyone's comments, it helps to talk this out with others.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:18 AM - 2 March, 2015
You need to buy Pioneer DDJ-SX2 with the DVS Expansion Pack. Then you can use your two turntables and control the other two decks with the SX2 decks and this way you still have all the features of the sx2 while using your turntables.

None of the other things/hardware mentioned will do what you are asking.

The Pioneer DDJ-SZ Would also do the job but is rather large to add two turntables.
DJ Baby Boy 9:41 AM - 2 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the input man i appreciate it! Can you control 4 decks with the rane 62 like you can with the ddj sx? I don't think so, but doesn't hurt to ask.

I like to have an Aux plug in as a backup in case SDJ crashes *knocks on wood* I usually use one of the ddjsx channels for aux, and I just plug in a premade mix from my iphone.

I'm seriously considering keeping the 350 and getting an sl3 and dicers or sp1, but it seems like a backwards investment. I mean sl3 is about 900 and an sp1 is 400 so it would still require quite a bit to get dvs, and I still have to touch my laptop to change songs...( i know i sound like a punk, but i guess i'm spoiled by the ability of the ddj sx)

With the 62 you can only control 2 decks at a time with the 900 you can instant double to other channels but will not have DVS control once you do that since the other channels will have to be in internal mode

Quote:
You need to buy Pioneer DDJ-SX2 with the DVS Expansion Pack. Then you can use your two turntables and control the other two decks with the SX2 decks and this way you still have all the features of the sx2 while using your turntables.

The Pioneer DDJ-SZ Would also do the job but is rather large to add two turntables.

The SX2 with DVS is a great option and surprisingly comfortable to scratch on even with the spacing of the controller plus the colored pads are an awesome upgrade from the SX if you switch back and forth between cues loops and samples as it takes away accidentally hitting a wrong function also the mic has been fixed if this has been an issue with your SX as it was with mine ... The SZ is also good however it is big and kinda awkward like Woolsey said when using with turntables ... Not bad with CDJ's though
DJWASHDOWN 4:00 AM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:

Damn i didn't even think to get the SX2. Good to know that there is no other hardware. Guess i'm spoiled by the capabilites of the DDJ SX
DJWASHDOWN 4:03 AM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

With the 62 you can only control 2 decks at a time with the 900 you can instant double to other channels but will not have DVS control once you do that since the other channels will have to be in internal mode

Quote:

The SX2 with DVS is a great option and surprisingly comfortable to scratch on even with the spacing of the controller plus the colored pads are an awesome upgrade from the SX if you switch back and forth between cues loops and samples as it takes away accidentally hitting a wrong function also the mic has been fixed if this has been an issue with your SX as it was with mine ... The SZ is also good however it is big and kinda awkward like Woolsey said when using with turntables ... Not bad with CDJ's though

Ya the more I think about it, the SX2 is a great option. I get a back up controller, and DVS control for about $1K.

It would be a little big if I was planning on using the 1200's all night at a bar gig, but for me, those aren't very often.

It may be a little weird having 2 ddj sx's but the sx2 seems to be everything i'm looking for
DJ Baby Boy 7:46 AM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
Ya the more I think about it, the SX2 is a great option. I get a back up controller, and DVS control for about $1K.

It would be a little big if I was planning on using the 1200's all night at a bar gig, but for me, those aren't very often.

It may be a little weird having 2 ddj sx's but the sx2 seems to be everything i'm looking for

One thing you could do is sell the SX1 and use it to buy an sl3 and SP1 that way you will have DVS with the SX2 and four deck control but also have the SL3 for your techs and 350 with the SP1 for cue loop sample control ... It'll also come in handy to have those as a backup as well just in case you play any venue that doesn't have an SL box or mixer installed
DJWASHDOWN 3:34 AM - 5 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

One thing you could do is sell the SX1 and use it to buy an sl3 and SP1 that way you will have DVS with the SX2 and four deck control but also have the SL3 for your techs and 350 with the SP1 for cue loop sample control ... It'll also come in handy to have those as a backup as well just in case you play any venue that doesn't have an SL box or mixer installed

Ya i think that is the play to get a sx2, sell the sx1 and get the sl3 or amx and afx units when they are available.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Bless!
DJWASHDOWN 8:38 PM - 26 April, 2015
Just to close the loop,

I waited to get the amx and afx units. They are pretty powerful, and unreal for the price.

Thanks again for everyone's input