DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technic 1200 platter wont revolve

ozfrombk 3:03 AM - 13 February, 2015
Has anyone experienced an issue like this? My platter just stopped in the middle of practice.
DJ Irv 7:26 AM - 13 February, 2015
Is it just twitching like it wants to spin?

Are the ball bearings on spindle shot? The spindle bearing can lock up after years and years of neglect.
ozfrombk 1:05 PM - 13 February, 2015
There is no movement at all. No twitching of any sort. I had them refurbished about three years ago. I guess I'll have to take then back.
Logisticalstyles 9:26 PM - 13 February, 2015
Do the power lights come on?
ozfrombk 9:32 PM - 13 February, 2015
Yes the power light and the green pitch light is on.
SELECT 10:23 PM - 13 February, 2015
Needs new spindle, it happens in particular if you backspin, scratch a lot. You can find them on ebay for about 20 bucks or so from what I remember. I changed one of mine last year now its like new.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:08 PM - 13 February, 2015
Can you manually turn the platter? Any resistance?
woody008 11:19 PM - 13 February, 2015
ozfrombk. Can you make a video of you turning the 1200 on and hitting the start button and then put it up on youtube? Also, if you hit the start button and nudge the platter, does it move at all on its own.

Has this deck had any mods like LED changes, do the LEDs on the strobe tower and or the pop up light flicker? has the pop up light gone out recently?
ozfrombk 1:03 AM - 14 February, 2015
Here is a video! Watchwww.youtube.com

Thanks for the input guys!
woody008 1:14 AM - 14 February, 2015
you need a new spindle
ozfrombk 1:40 AM - 14 February, 2015
Would you be able to recommend a good online tutorial to do that?
DJ Tecniq 2:11 AM - 14 February, 2015
It's not broken you probably just need to clean the spindle and bearings inside the turntable. Here's a great tutorial
Watchwww.youtube.com
woody008 2:12 AM - 14 February, 2015
youtube.com/watch?v=sjhXXDp1-JQ
DJ Tecniq 2:13 AM - 14 February, 2015
Quote:
youtube.com/watch?v=sjhXXDp1-JQ
Lol we think alike
woody008 2:22 AM - 14 February, 2015
You beat me to it.
ozfrombk 2:55 AM - 14 February, 2015
Thanks guys. I'll be opening this bad boy up and see what's up.
woody008 8:28 AM - 14 February, 2015
Quote:
It's not broken you probably just need to clean the spindle and bearings inside the turntable.

This is deducted based on what?

When the spindel goes out it goes out. My advice would be to take out the old spindel and replace with a good working one.
ozfrombk 12:48 PM - 14 February, 2015
Alright well it seems like I can buy a new spindle on eBay for about 20 bucks. I'm going to purchase one and replace it myself. I'm just relieved that I don't have to spend a huge amount of money to get it back to working condition. Thanks for the help guys.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:49 PM - 14 February, 2015
Is it ONLY resistant when you turn it on? In other words, does it spin freely with NO electricity, or is it tight even when no power is applied?
ozfrombk 2:56 PM - 14 February, 2015
No it does not spin freely when it has no electricity and when it does have electricity running.
ozfrombk 2:57 PM - 14 February, 2015
To be clear, it is resistant whether it's on or off.
Detroitbootybass 4:25 PM - 14 February, 2015
The most important maintainance item for a turntable is the one that very few DJs ever do - oiling the spindle/bearings every two-thousand hours of operation. And the people that do mostly don't choose the proper oil - they'll use something like WD-40 and have their bearings seize up when that oil becomes 'gunky'. The proper oil is SFW0-010, but since Panasonic no longer sells it, you have to find a alternate source. KAB sells a small vial (will be enough to last you and your turntables a lifetime) for $6 USD. Just click on the link and choose 'Sound Accessories' and the oil is the third item from the top: www.kabusa.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:55 PM - 14 February, 2015
Quote:
To be clear, it is resistant whether it's on or off.

Yep, spindle.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:55 PM - 14 February, 2015
Quote:
The most important maintainance item for a turntable is the one that very few DJs ever do - oiling the spindle/bearings every two-thousand hours of operation. And the people that do mostly don't choose the proper oil - they'll use something like WD-40 and have their bearings seize up when that oil becomes 'gunky'. The proper oil is SFW0-010, but since Panasonic no longer sells it, you have to find a alternate source. KAB sells a small vial (will be enough to last you and your turntables a lifetime) for $6 USD. Just click on the link and choose 'Sound Accessories' and the oil is the third item from the top: www.kabusa.com

^^^^This^^^^^
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:58 PM - 14 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
It's not broken you probably just need to clean the spindle and bearings inside the turntable.

When the spindel goes out it goes out. My advice would be to take out the old spindel and replace with a good working one.

I can attest that I had a similar issue where Serato detected a fluctuation in speed, and I couldn't figure it out at first.

Turns out the spindle was VERY tight, but I was able to add some Singer Sewing machine oil, (similar to the Technics oil), and I was able to resurrect the spindle.

Not saying he won't have to replace his if the bearings are shot, but never say never...
DJ Tecniq 6:07 PM - 14 February, 2015
Like I said try re-oiling the spindle I had to do this when my platter was barely spinning. End result it definetly fixed it👍
ozfrombk 6:46 PM - 14 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can attest that I had a similar issue where Serato detected a fluctuation in speed, and I couldn't figure it out at first.

Turns out the spindle was VERY tight, but I was able to add some Singer Sewing machine oil, (similar to the Technics oil), and I was able to resurrect the spindle.

Not saying he won't have to replace his if the bearings are shot, but never say never...

This is exactly what happened to me! Serato detected some serious fluctuation 2 days prior and I was sitting there thinking to myself "I know I am not bugging." And then 2 days later, platter just completely stops revolving in the middle of me cutting.
ozfrombk 6:47 PM - 14 February, 2015
Quote:

Thanks for the advice dude! Def will keep this in mind from now on.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:43 PM - 14 February, 2015
One more piece of advice...

Do NOT try to activate the motor with the platter off....
Ulrich von Hurtem 12:28 AM - 15 February, 2015
Quote:

Word.
To be safe, I always plug the power cord, before removing the platter.
ozfrombk 3:13 AM - 15 February, 2015
Ok, so let me get this straight. If I'm going to open my turntable up and perform this surgery I should have it connected to live electricity? That's not making sense in my head.
DJ Irv 10:50 AM - 15 February, 2015
Unplug the power. No power!

Do this work with all the tools you need near by like pryers, screw drivers. Avoid walking back and forth to the turntable while working on it because you don't want to build up a static charge.

Never, ever in your life turn on a 1200 with the platter removed the results are really bad!

In all honesty this job is quite easy. Just degrease and clean the spindle then oil it back up again with a decent mechanical oil. Sewing machine oil or a few drops of synthetic engine oil if that's all you have handy. It's a bearing and just needs to be degunked and oiled up. It's simple as that. If the BK in your name is is brooklyn I can try to give you a hand.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:51 PM - 15 February, 2015
Quote:
Ok, so let me get this straight. If I'm going to open my turntable up and perform this surgery I should have it connected to live electricity? That's not making sense in my head.

NO! Some cats like to take the platter off and then TURN ON the POWER.

Do NOT do that. You can smoke your motor like that.
DJ Tecniq 4:17 PM - 15 February, 2015
It's a lot easier than you think if you follow the tutorial you should be fine. Just make sure you have the right tools to do the job👍
Ulrich von Hurtem 4:24 PM - 15 February, 2015
Yes, UNplug. Typing is hard.
ozfrombk 9:23 PM - 15 February, 2015
Ahh okay you meant UNplug. But yes, no live electricity. And yes DJ Irv, I'm in Brooklyn. I'll shoot you a private message.
4mydawgz 4:12 AM - 16 February, 2015
good info in here
Scott1234 3:34 PM - 17 May, 2015
My 1200 platter has been stopping in mid scratch lately, I have to either wait a couple seconds, turn it off and on, or press the start button again to get it working. Any suggestions? There's no resistance.
DJ Tecniq 8:51 PM - 17 May, 2015
Quote:
My 1200 platter has been stopping in mid scratch lately, I have to either wait a couple seconds, turn it off and on, or press the start button again to get it working. Any suggestions? There's no resistance.
sounds like the spindle just needs some TLC.
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:55 PM - 17 May, 2015
i'm suprised you didn't suggest a firmware update ha ha
Scott1234 1:59 AM - 18 May, 2015
I'll try it...I think the board is starting to go tho. :(
DJ Tecniq 1:16 AM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
why? I have been using turntables for years👀 I don't even have a controller. Most issues with controllers are firmware FYI.
DJ Remy USA 2:42 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:

Ive always wonder what would happen if I did. Never tried it tho
DJ Remy USA 2:42 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
why? I have been using turntables for years👀 I don't even have a controller. Most issues with controllers are firmware FYI.

they be joking with man, you take it so serious bro thats why they pick on you...lol. You cool tecniq
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:44 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Ive always wonder what would happen if I did. Never tried it tho

I, like an idiot, used to do it a lot, and was like "Oh, ok, it gets magnetized", as it would attract the SCREWDRIVER I had near the open innards...

It can also burn out the motor aside from having magnetic particles, screws and whatever else become drawn into the coil.

I was just lucky.
JAy Effect 6:06 PM - 18 November, 2015
DId you replace the spindel? Did it work for you?
ozfrombk 6:43 PM - 18 November, 2015
Spindle replaced. Works like a dream.
JAy Effect 7:03 PM - 18 November, 2015
Did you do it yourself? If so was it hard? Any soldering involved? I have M5G's and one of my tables is acting up. It does what yours does. But sometimes will work. So I'm assuming it's starting to go out Lottie by little.
JAy Effect 7:05 PM - 18 November, 2015
So only the spindle was replaced?
ozfrombk 7:14 PM - 18 November, 2015
I did not do it myself but honestly when I saw how easy it was to replace the spindle I regretted paying someone to service it for me. It would of been cheaper to just order a spindle online and replace it myself. You live and you learn.

No soldering involved.

Look at this tutorial

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Tecniq 7:18 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
I did not do it myself but honestly when I saw how easy it was to replace the spindle I regretted paying someone to service it for me. It would of been cheaper to just order a spindle online and replace it myself. You live and you learn.

No soldering involved.

Look at this tutorial

Watchwww.youtube.com
That is the link I mentioned above👍🏻 glad you got it working.
JAy Effect 7:18 PM - 18 November, 2015
Cool. Thank you.
JAy Effect 7:40 PM - 18 November, 2015
How much did they charge you to put it in?
Systemaddict 7:55 PM - 18 November, 2015
Had this happen a few years back. kabusa.com (mentioned previously) will sell you a new spindle for less than $100 (I don't remember how much I paid) and the guy is really helpful in guiding you through the process. Of course you can also ship to him but it is pretty easy to do it yourself.
ozfrombk 8:10 PM - 18 November, 2015
$100.

I've seen spindles on ebay for $25.
JAy Effect 8:39 PM - 18 November, 2015
So $100 including the spindle? So $25 for the spindle and $75 for labor. Well that's not to bad. I rather do things my self but for that price it's not to bad.
ozfrombk 8:48 PM - 18 November, 2015
Well, let's just say I am a fiscally conservative person. Those $75 could of went somewhere else.

If you want someone else to do it and you have the means, then by all means, go ahead.
JAy Effect 8:49 PM - 18 November, 2015
True.

Do you know if all spindles are the same? Do I need a different one for the M5G's
DJ Tecniq 12:06 AM - 19 November, 2015
Interesting so you needed a brand new spindle? All mine needed was a relubing. Shouldn't of had to buy one?
DJ Irv 1:32 AM - 19 November, 2015
It's an easy job. You can do yourself. You start by adding sewing machine oil to the spindle.
Logisticalstyles 2:26 AM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
$25 for the spindle and $75 for labor.

Quote:
when I saw how easy it was to replace the spindle I regretted paying someone to service it for me.

I know you did. Sometimes you gotta pay to get that knowledge though.

I used to think replacing parts on a 1200 was difficult until I took one completely apart and reassembled it. There are quite a few easy to replace parts.
ozfrombk 1:20 PM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
It's an easy job. You can do yourself. You start by adding sewing machine oil to the spindle.

This is a good start. Adding oil wasn't sufficient enough for my unit and I ended up eventually replacing the whole part.
ozfrombk 2:17 PM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
$25 for the spindle and $75 for labor.

Quote:
when I saw how easy it was to replace the spindle I regretted paying someone to service it for me.

I know you did. Sometimes you gotta pay to get that knowledge though.

I used to think replacing parts on a 1200 was difficult until I took one completely apart and reassembled it. There are quite a few easy to replace parts.

Yes, I can agree. I was in the same boat—thought taking apart a 1200 was akin to open-heart surgery but once you are prepped with the right knowledge, then you see that it really is simple.

That video posted above by Tecniq and I should serve as a good guide to resolve your issue.
DJ Irv 3:34 PM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
This is a good start. Adding oil wasn't sufficient enough for my unit and I ended up eventually replacing the whole part.

Did you disassemble the bearing cleaning it out and oil it?
Logisticalstyles 4:23 PM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:

That video posted above by Tecniq and I should serve as a good guide to resolve your issue.

That guy viperfrank has the best videos for working on your Technics 1200's.
Detroitbootybass 8:21 PM - 19 November, 2015
Spindles at KAB are $50 (plus shipping).