Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

[Feature Request] iTunes rating

JoachimC 5:56 PM - 26 April, 2009
Hi,

Something I'd really like is to include the iTunes 'rating' in the track listing - to help with scanning through tracks.

And then when playing, update the track rating - when I see how it goes down in the wild.

anybody else?

Joachim
Kmxorbit 8:36 PM - 26 April, 2009
don't use it myself, but might be usefull for a lot of people among us.
m0nkyman 10:26 PM - 27 April, 2009
I would love to see this as well. I tend to use iTunes ratings a lot to build smart playlists, so being able to affect them in Itch would be very helpful. Anything that helps organize and sort helps those of us whose collections are in the tens of thousands of songs....
Longhini 12:15 PM - 24 May, 2009
Yes why is so difficult for Serato to please include the ITunes rating tags!! Isn't it just a matter of adding another field. I'm sure that like myself most serious Serato users have thousands of tracks to keep in order and access easily on the fly during a set.

I would like to thank Serato for including the 'Track Overview Display' in their latest update. It's now possible to me to keep an track of playlist of all my live sets without all of my previews. I would love that extra step to add in a function so I can save an export my playlists!

A synchronization function would also be great. I find the software to be quite unstable in it's tempo at times. Oh yes and a 4 channel version please!

Any further developments on the collaboration between Abelton and Serato? I'm dying for the two to interface or at least play nicely together.

Always open to discuss my ideas for extra features and improvements if the development.

Thank you! Searato is still by far the best platform available.
Philster7 2:53 PM - 28 January, 2010
I actually just bought Serato a few months ago but have yet to use it professionally for one simple reason... I can't use my iTunes Ratings. To sort through the 11,000+ tunes I have on my laptop would take forever. I don't even have time to organise crates. Please, please include this simple feature! Thanks
ldc1129 6:12 PM - 28 January, 2010
Quote:
I actually just bought Serato a few months ago but have yet to use it professionally for one simple reason... I can't use my iTunes Ratings. To sort through the 11,000+ tunes I have on my laptop would take forever. I don't even have time to organise crates. Please, please include this simple feature! Thanks

+30
kraal 11:16 PM - 28 January, 2010
Quote:

in the time you are waiting for this feature i am sure you can organize some crates for djing.... i mean realistically any dj night you will play about 60 - 80 songs NOT 11,000
MusicDan 12:28 AM - 29 January, 2010
Did you at some point sit down and listen to all 11000+ songs to tag them. I have allot more than that, and I will be honest there has to be more than half the songs in my library that I have never even heard. You have them because someone is bound to come up to you and ask you, hey do you have this songs? Then all you have to do is search it. As for this being the reason you don't use itch, I find that to be more of an excuse. Couldn't you take the top rated songs and put them in an itunes playlist? Then you can use the playlists in Itch as crates. Maybe not exactly what you want, but definitely a workaround.
Philster7 9:09 AM - 29 January, 2010
Yes, I do have 11,000 songs I have rated in iTunes, I listen to some 8 hours of music per day and everything gets rated otherwise I would be lost. And yes I could also organise crates of tunes I know, its just a big task to get it near to the tunes I have available when DJing - but, thanks you guys have made me realise I am using this as an excuse. Need to sort it out :-)
kraal 3:26 PM - 29 January, 2010
but not saying the feature request isnt valid
Dj Beware 7:20 PM - 29 January, 2010
Quote:

I agree I wish this feature was available as well, in the interm what I have done is copied my Ratings into the Grouping field. So basically a 5 star rating I put 5 astericks in the grouping field, 4 asterickes for rating of 4 and ect, ect. I think this will come in handy since the ITCH 2.0 is reportedly having "smart crates" it will hopefully work quite well. I have also started using the colors more now too 5 stars = RED, 4 Stars = Orange ect. ect.
Philster7 1:08 PM - 1 February, 2010
Excellent, thanks! I will definitely try this. I'm assuming it will work in retrospect as I have already imported my entire library into Serato and analysed all the files?
kraal 3:25 PM - 1 February, 2010
rescan id tags after you are done
Philster7 3:46 PM - 1 February, 2010
Thanks so much guys!
freemagic 2:45 AM - 4 February, 2010
I have another way of doing it, posted a "how to" bit.ly
czar 3:30 AM - 4 February, 2010
free magic great idea problem solved! =)
kraal 3:45 AM - 4 February, 2010
freemagic -- nice one
Dj Beware 7:47 AM - 4 February, 2010
That actually what I do to color my songs, I guess I didn't explain myself properly.....but yes that's how I apply my colors as well. good thing is upcoming verions of SSL and ITCH will have Smart Crates so I guess you can do the same, without Itunes playlist's. I kind of prefer using the Grouping tag and putting astericks and/or colors since that way I don't actually use Itunes all the time since I find my library a little slower to process when I read iTunes library and that way if I play a song in my library that is "unrated" and I decide to put asterick's in the group field (which means I bascally rate it), if/when I decide to open it in iTunes I still have that indication of the rating of the song in both applications, as then in iTunes I can sort by grouping and then apply the rating tag in iTunes. Only doing the rating and smart list in iTunes means that's the only place you can "rate" songs, as iTunes doesn't read Serato's colors.......comes in nice especially if you use your songs in another application as most also read the grouping field.
Philster7 9:06 AM - 4 February, 2010
Yeah thats a great solution, thanks freemagic.
freemagic 8:12 PM - 4 February, 2010
thanks, please share with anyone
DJ Prashant 6:27 AM - 8 February, 2010
use grouping feature... so name all 5 star songs as 5*, 4 star as 4* and so on... now u can sort grouping instead of rating when using itch.
jolt 7:17 AM - 8 February, 2010
you can also tag the group with automator (Mac only)
Trey S. 5:15 AM - 21 June, 2010
+1 on the feature request. This would be really nice, Serato folks. These workarounds are helpful for the time being, though, so thanks all.
illkid 11:27 AM - 21 June, 2010
+1
ldc1129 12:09 AM - 22 June, 2010
I like the color code option as well........but my issue is that the dots are too small and don't stand out enough for me.

Is there a way to make them bigger?? (Font size change maybe...)
Red Polo 7:20 AM - 18 January, 2011
+1

Tractor can do this.
Unless Native Instruments receives inside information from apple, i cant see no reason why scratch live cant do it too.
951turbo 9:51 PM - 16 June, 2011
Today I bought two V7's and a X5 and this is the first day i'm using Serato and I can not understand why this feature isn't here already. And i'm actually kind of shocked that it has been requested since april 2009 and they still haven't done anything about it. I've spent thousands of hours listening, editing and rating inside iTunes and I this was a big negative surprise for me. I appreciate your tips on how to work around the problem. I already use the "Grouping" column for record company, but I could sure use the "Comments" for rating.

U mentioned Traktor have it. I've used MixVibes which also have iTunes rating displayed and they've had it for at least a couple of years. I'm not asking for two way communication, but i just want Serato to display the rating i've given in iTunes.
Kmxorbit 9:34 AM - 20 June, 2011
Quote:
I'm not asking for two way communication, but i just want Serato to display the rating i've given in iTunes.

If they ever implement it, it should work 2 way. It would be a missed chance if it didn't.
951turbo 10:07 PM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not asking for two way communication, but i just want Serato to display the rating i've given in iTunes.

If they ever implement it, it should work 2 way. It would be a missed chance if it didn't.

Of corse it would be great if it worked both ways but until serato figures out how to get it working both ways i'm satisfied with just reading the itunes rating. Its the only thing I really miss.
sl1pm4t 12:46 AM - 6 July, 2011
+1 to the Feature Request
Qlix 9:52 AM - 21 July, 2011
Another trick that works for me it just to set your rating in comment.
Just open itunes - and write down your stars ***** or *** or * in comment field
Than Itch can see it and sort it.

Still waiting for the normal solution. Btw just checked beta version of Itch 2.0 - there are no rating field also. I suppose that some kind of serato politics to deal only with "official" Tags..

Hope I'm wrong
Cheerz
Schuyler 8:26 PM - 25 July, 2011
www.djtechtools.com

+1! Please support this so I can use the suggestions I found in this article :)
DJdaveZ 10:22 AM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:
I like the color code option as well........but my issue is that the dots are too small and don't stand out enough for me.

Is there a way to make them bigger?? (Font size change maybe...)

agreed... the best (probably easiest) option is to take up the full height of that track's row in the library and be a rectangle or square instead of a dot.
zaguama 2:33 PM - 26 July, 2011
id prefer to color the track names themselves.
lowtek 2:13 AM - 12 September, 2011
April 2009 request. Still no iTunes ratings.
DJ Xio 4:00 AM - 12 September, 2011
I requested this since the inception of ITCH 1.0

The main issue at hand is that iTunes does not write the rating into the MP3 itself.
There is no start rating label in the ID3. It doesn't exist.

I'm sure there might be a way to have Serato Read the iTunes Database and Populate its own star rating like Traktor, but it's not an easy solution.

If I'm not mistaken Traktor can only read rating but cannot write unless the song is in the database first.

I resorted to just tagging my songs in the comment
5 stars = 5
4 stars = 4
and so on...

Good luck!
lowtek 5:33 AM - 12 September, 2011
I actually build all my playlists (crates) within iTunes, using all of iTunes sorting functionality, including ratings, comments, etc and thus I actually have no serato crates.
Nonnus 6:45 AM - 12 September, 2011
Quote:
I'm sure there might be a way to have Serato Read the iTunes Database and Populate its own star rating like Traktor, but it's not an easy solution.

doesn't serato software have to read the itunes database file to be able to scan / display itunes playlists ?
i would expect so and cant really figure out how hard would this be to implement during the 2 years that have passed by since this functionality started to be requested...

it seems crazy how a company with so many few products (that they could/should actually merge into single one as many users have suggested) is able to be so unresponsive to such simple requests and still have the users trust, i have to admit i sort of loose a little bit of mine with each of these stunts...

hey, but at least we got the playlists plugin!
Versionist 8:27 PM - 12 September, 2011
How about letting ITCH be it's own program, rather than trying to shackle itself to a redundant (for DJs) program that not everyone has installed on their computer? Why someone would count on iTunes for any part of their DJing is beyond me. Do you really trust Apple to run every part of your life (phone, computer, tablet, music software, cloud storage, etc.)? That's dangerous if you ask me. At the very least it inhibits your flexibility as Apple is very rigid about their software/hardware. What if they decide to change their library format (like to something that is not a horrendously bloated XML file)? Then what?

On a related note, if you can't find the songs you like, then you don't know your music, you have too much music that you are not familiar with, or you simply don't have the music you like and know. Cut the fat! That song that you have scrolled by 120 times? Delete it!

Thanks for reading.
DJ Xio 3:28 AM - 13 September, 2011
Quote:
How about letting ITCH be it's own program, rather than trying to shackle itself to a redundant (for DJs) program that not everyone has installed on their computer? Why someone would count on iTunes for any part of their DJing is beyond me. Do you really trust Apple to run every part of your life (phone, computer, tablet, music software, cloud storage, etc.)? That's dangerous if you ask me. At the very least it inhibits your flexibility as Apple is very rigid about their software/hardware. What if they decide to change their library format (like to something that is not a horrendously bloated XML file)? Then what?

On a related note, if you can't find the songs you like, then you don't know your music, you have too much music that you are not familiar with, or you simply don't have the music you like and know. Cut the fat! That song that you have scrolled by 120 times? Delete it!

Thanks for reading.

Because iTunes' Smart Playlists are way superior to any playlists Serato ever made... Including Serato's own version of Smart Playlists.

It has nothing to do with it being from Apple.

It's just a superior tool that Professional DJs use to make their jobs easier!
Beatnologic 6:52 AM - 13 September, 2011
+1

and while were on it. The way that iTunes shows album art is also a big plus. Just one cover for the whole album. Saves a lot of space and would love to see this in Itch.
MackBrowne 10:26 PM - 21 December, 2011
Serato, I would love you to add this feature in both itch and sratch products. It really can't be that hard! I am a developer, I would love for you to hire me to figure it out for you :D

If that isn't an option, please tell me how much money you want me to personally pay you for getting this to work.
Red Polo 3:12 AM - 22 December, 2011
+1
Funky-t 6:02 PM - 19 September, 2012
+1
Julien A 4:39 PM - 5 December, 2012
Just bought Serato DJ with a digital controller after a 2 years break in DJing.
Previously I was using SL3 with turntables and thought ratings where supported by the software but maybe there were not, it's been a while.

Still, in Serato DJ (full version, fresh of this morning), there is no rating ! And I want to keep my tags clean, so no dirty tricks. We are to expect to avoid tricks with such a professional software.

It really is useful, say you have 6 remixes of a song, two are rated 5 stars a good for your mix, others aren't. Seeing the ratings let you instantly know which one is right, even if you haven't memorised all the remixes names yet.

Seriously hopping for Serato to implement this function (that is present in Traktor).
Red Polo 6:00 PM - 5 December, 2012
Yeah, come on guys

If Traktor can do it then so should Searto.
dj.renegade 5:44 PM - 8 February, 2013
I have sometimes 7 versions of the same song and it totally sucks if I pick the wrong one on accident. One song may be good for raves,one for club and one for weddings. I spent hundreds of hours to rate my songs and to have to do it all over again would be horrible.
Come on Serato you are supposed to be the leaders and not let Traktor and Vertual DJ beat you to the punch.....BTW I use all three and they all have some faults but ratings are huge in my book just as much as notes....
David Vicuña 12:06 AM - 8 December, 2013
PLEASE read the RATING tag! It can be really useful ...

i.e. I use the rating to keep / discard the tracks first in itunes, but i separate the keepers in two branches... 1-3 stars and 4>stars

Then when i have to improvise in a complicated situation, i go directly to 4> for the absolutely solid tracks... but still have the 1-3 for other kind of environments.
DJRunningMan 6:12 AM - 21 December, 2013
+1

Please Serato.
mrbriano 7:01 PM - 22 January, 2014
This would really, truly be the best, as so much rating/organizing comes from our native music apps (itunes, etc.) before we jump into Scratch or DJ.

Please!
jrj07c 10:19 AM - 9 December, 2014
+1
DJ Tobi Rodenstein 2:50 PM - 8 July, 2019
+1
+1
+1
Qlix 5:10 PM - 8 July, 2019
iTunes no longer supported by Apple, so who is the new king?