DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Crap that isn't worth mixing

BIGG BEAR 1:05 AM - 29 January, 2015
Anyone ever get to the point where you're playing at a disappointing gig for whatever reason and go through a stage of thinking.........I really can't be bothered taking the time to mix this fucking crap!!!
Examples might be certain types of pop some rnb/hip hop even some dance music.
I mean with the right crowd I can enjoy myself playing what I consider to be dreadful music but because the crowd are having a good time the atmosphere is good you pull out all the stops.
Other times I look at some of these tunes and think I have neither the enthusiasm or inclination to spend the time mixing this rubbish and just cut and shut it.
It does beg the question of... are some of these tunes even worth mixing.
Also when a gig is 5 or 6 hours long and as stated above a bit disappointing, do any of you kind save yourself for the peak couple of hours and and do the rest in second gear?
Some will say the above is lazy,some will agree with me,I say if someone wants it full on all night get your wallet out lol.
Antonio Essex 2:11 AM - 29 January, 2015
I really hate playing the played out, KIIS Fm (EDM) style dance music.ZEDD, Calvin Harris, Guetta, you all know the names. Especially poppy trance junk that got alot of radio play last summer. My opinion of course, but that shit is just too corny and soulless. I did a bunch of pool parties for friends and friends of friends, and the majority of dance stuff they wanted was that trance/big room sound. Above and beyond can eat a fat dick.Don't care to understand the popping molly and crying from the "uplifting feeling". It's hipster, douchebag, paid $2000 to get a bottle and booth type sound that I can't fuck with.
I'll add trap to my hate to play genre.Another hipster, too cool for you crowd favorite.Much requested from the kids is..."you got the trap remix of, fill the blank radio song?" I'll play it but again I don't get it. The older crowd pool parties I do are my favorite gigs. Classic rock jams, 90's hiphop, some newer shit, not a lot of requests because I know what they will like.They like great music.Not hip hop instrumentals with effects or spiritual dance music.

Rant over
Antonio Essex 2:27 AM - 29 January, 2015
Best gig I had last year was not even a paid gig. It was in the channel in Havasu. These dudes we met a while back always bring two 15" thumps, a generator, a table and djs bring their controllers.We hook that shit up on a pontoon boat and play out.There were 5 Dj's last memorial wknd. Dudes that played the commercial EDM shit did ok, but you could tell the crowd got bored of it after a while. Dude's who kept it more open format had the people grinding and rapping along.The mashups of white crowd favorites and current hip hop got the most response.It was proof to me that the open format of mixing tracks everyone know's and loves has a better party vibe the just staying in one lane of what the vegas night clubs play.
Dj Shamann 2:29 AM - 29 January, 2015
No, the more boring or disappointing a gig is, the more I bury my head into mixing to keep myself awake/interested.
Col1990 11:06 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
No, the more boring or disappointing a gig is, the more I bury my head into mixing to keep myself awake/interested.

^^^^ This
Niro 8:49 AM - 30 January, 2015
Ice cream cake from baskin robins is the best. That Oreo crust is pretty epic.
d:raf 4:11 PM - 30 January, 2015
At this point in my life/career, I can't logistically use the word "crap" to define any sort of music anymore; I still have my personal tastes that I prefer to play over all else (don't get me wrong), but I've stopped cringing when I have to play music that I don't particularly care for at weddings/private parties/etc.. There's always something in a song I can find to appreciate (drum pattern/synth programming, song structure, lyrics, overall mixdown, harmonies, etc.), especially if the people are digging it.

For instance, this took a special kind of skill: Watchwww.youtube.com
BIGG BEAR 4:17 PM - 30 January, 2015
The Shaggs thats a unfortunate name for a group.
In the uk it has a different meaning check it out here.....www.urbandictionary.com
pdidy 10:08 AM - 31 January, 2015
Have any of you considered finding a new hobby ?
 6 4:25 PM - 31 January, 2015
This is another example of why I keep saying that as a DJ, you are (or can be) in control from the moment you take a gig.

nm
O.B.1 10:25 AM - 2 February, 2015
Quote:
This is another example of why I keep saying that as a DJ, you are (or can be) in control from the moment you take a gig.

nm

A post you made years ago about being "the one driving the bus" really hits home. But there is also a happy medium to be found.
BIGG BEAR 3:59 PM - 2 February, 2015
A post you made years ago about being "the one driving the bus" really hits home. But there is also a happy medium to be found.

Is there a link to this post please?
 6 4:45 PM - 2 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

I actually agree.

nm