Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Cpu Meter On Serato DJ 1.7.3

Smoke21 6:23 AM - 28 January, 2015
Hello, Just recently updated to Serato DJ 1.7.3 and was playing my tracks on the offline Player and noticed that the Cpu Meter was going up a bit past half way the middle but then went back down, this was at the beginning of a tracked played offline. Is there a reason or something i have to do to optimize my macboook pro to prevent from the cpu meter going into red and crashing or is this a bug from the software? thanks any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to start using serato DJ since now scratch live is no longer going to be updating. Also i Have scratch live still installed on my macbook. thanks
DJ Tecniq 9:16 AM - 28 January, 2015
Quote:
Hello, Just recently updated to Serato DJ 1.7.3 and was playing my tracks on the offline Player and noticed that the Cpu Meter was going up a bit past half way the middle but then went back down, this was at the beginning of a tracked played offline. Is there a reason or something i have to do to optimize my macboook pro to prevent from the cpu meter going into red and crashing or is this a bug from the software? thanks any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to start using serato DJ since now scratch live is no longer going to be updating. Also i Have scratch live still installed on my macbook. thanks
unfortunately that's a clear indication your computer is not powerful enough. What year and model is your Mac? SDJ uses double the power Scratchlive needs. You might see sluggish performance.
Smoke21 12:52 PM - 28 January, 2015
Its a 2009 macbook pro 17"
Smoke21 12:55 PM - 28 January, 2015
Its a unibody macbook pro the one with the black keyboard
Smoke21 2:05 PM - 28 January, 2015
This is what my macbook pro says on the about this Mac

Macbook pro 17 in early 2009
Processor 2.66 Ghz intel core 2 Duo
Memory 4 gb
Graphics NVIDIA GeFORCE 9400M 256 MB
Software OS X 10.8.5
Display 1920 x 1200
DJ Tecniq 9:19 PM - 28 January, 2015
Quote:
This is what my macbook pro says on the about this Mac

Macbook pro 17 in early 2009
Processor 2.66 Ghz intel core 2 Duo
Memory 4 gb
Graphics NVIDIA GeFORCE 9400M 256 MB
Software OS X 10.8.5
Display 1920 x 1200
yeah def not good enough for Serato DJ. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro and it can't even run video. Audio is no prob but video forget about it it freezes up in the middle of playing.
Smoke21 9:37 PM - 28 January, 2015
So should i stick to scratchlive or is there any upgrades to my macbook pro i can do to get upto sprc with serato dj 1.7.3???
DJ Tecniq 8:05 AM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
So should i stick to scratchlive or is there any upgrades to my macbook pro i can do to get upto sprc with serato dj 1.7.3???
Well you are only running 4 gigs of ram. I suggest upgrade that to 16 gigs and your graphics is only a 256 mb card a 512mb would be ideal. You could try but don't be disappointed if it's still sluggish still. I would upgrade the ram to 16 gigs just for the hell of it. 4 gigs is nothing.
DJ Tecniq 8:08 AM - 29 January, 2015
Or you could stick with Scratchlive in the mean time. I can run video perfectly fine on Scratchlive. SDJ is a resource hog!
pdidy 8:18 AM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:

Don't waste your time putting money into it just stick to scratchlive and save that money for a new mac if you really need to use serato dj.
WarpNote 11:23 AM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:

Depends on your funds and needs, like pdidy says, if you need SDJ, get a new computer,
if not, stay with ssl as long as you like.
Smoke21 1:34 PM - 29 January, 2015
Thanks for the feedback guys... I believe my macbook pro can only hold upto 8gb of ram so i was researching but i could be wrong... Maybe someone can help me out with that tosee if it is true or not... And well wanted to start using serato dj now that everyone is making the switch and use all the new things it offers...
WarpNote 1:39 PM - 29 January, 2015
At this point, I don't think you would gain much installing the extra memory.
Not for for SDJ anyway. If you plan to use you computer for video editing, DAW's or motion graphics, now thats another story...

Stay with SSL, save your money and upgrade once you can afford.
Smoke21 2:20 PM - 29 January, 2015
Not planning on doing video but interested in the expansion pack it has and want to get a ddjsp1 to use with serato dj but an opinion from you guys on those two things i mention... The expansion pack and the ddjsp 1. Thanks
Smoke21 2:23 PM - 29 January, 2015
Also have the ddj sz on the way and if my only way to not have problems with serato dj then i guess i have nothing but to buy a new macbook pro... Right?
Smoke21 2:26 PM - 29 January, 2015
Question using an external drive with serato dj would that help my laptop not use alot of cpu? Or is it still my specs on my laptop that dont go with serato dj?
WarpNote 2:37 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
The expansion pack and the ddjsp 1.
What pack? there are many: Flip, PnT, FX, DVS.
Your machine will not run PnT well -> serato.com
And not so sure about the FX either...

Quote:
Also have the ddj sz on the way
I would definitively get a new i7 retina with as much internal storage you can afford.

Quote:
Question using an external drive with serato dj would that help my laptop not use alot of cpu?
Not really, you could run an external FW drive (dont run a usb drive) if you need space, but it wont improve cpu usage much, if any. (on a new retina, switch FW for Thunderbolt...)

Quote:
Or is it still my specs on my laptop that dont go with serato dj?
Pretty much... System Requirements on the link i provided above.
Smoke21 2:40 PM - 29 January, 2015
So im checking out the apple site and have i5 and i7 macbook pros. To spend my money worths what specs should i go with and how much ram as well? Thanks
WarpNote 2:49 PM - 29 January, 2015
Personally, I maxed out my machine to 768 SSD (max at the time of purchase) and 16gb ram, but i DO use it for Video work to. Depending on how much music you need in your library, I would go for a higher end i7 and as much storage you can afford. 16 gb ram is nice, but you will be good with 8gb ram for djing.
Smoke21 3:01 PM - 29 January, 2015
Thanks warpnote for your replies... I appreciate it
Smoke21 3:05 PM - 29 January, 2015
Btw can anyone tell me if you can use scratchlive with pioneer ddjsz ??
Smoke21 3:06 PM - 29 January, 2015
Or pioneer ddjsx? Thanks
WarpNote 5:39 PM - 29 January, 2015
SX and SZ is made for SDJ only, both of them could be used as standalone mixers and adding a Rane SL box, but thats not very practical ;-)
WarpNote 5:51 PM - 29 January, 2015
Bottom line is, you can probably get away with using either the SX and the SZ with your machine, at least for a while, but don't run pitch'n time, use the old keylock, or none at all, also be cautious of running software effects on that machine. Also I would'nt try to run DVS in SDJ on that computer.

When I first got the SX mk1 at the time of launch, I had a similar machine as you, slightly lower specced, a 2.4 Ghz intel core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 1Tb internal drive.
Mostly ran SDJ quite ok, (version 1.2.1 I think) but I did have some severe crashes, and had to get a new computer before I could really trust it. SDJ Requirements has also risen somewhat since then.

Make sure you do a LOT of testing at home before bringing it to a party, and ALWAYS have a BACKUP plan, could be something easy like an ipad/ipod etc plugged into a spare channel of the SX/SZ. It will buy you time while you restart your software/computer.
Smoke21 7:00 PM - 29 January, 2015
So your saying not to try dvs and serato dj with my laptop?
WarpNote 7:28 PM - 29 January, 2015
Sure, TRY it, but dont count on it to work, until you've done a fair amount of testing at home.
I think I'm being very clear on that I'm saying?

You also wanna look into this -> support.serato.com
DJ Tecniq 7:42 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
Sure, TRY it, but dont count on it to work, until you've done a fair amount of testing at home.

You also wanna look into this -> support.serato.com
great advice for video none of that even worked for me unfortunately on a 2010 MacBook Pro.
pdidy 7:57 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:

Yes you were completely clear but he's probably going to crash and burn at a live gig anyway........lol
WarpNote 8:08 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
Yes you were completely clear but he's probably going to crash and burn at a live gig anyway........lol

It's the only way they gonna learn, lol !!!!
WarpNote 8:17 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
none of that even worked for me unfortunately on a 2010 MacBook Pro.

1. How many songs your library Tecniq?
2. How many crates?
3. Are you loading the iTunes lib into SSL/SDJ ?
4. Are you still using the same computer?

After 1.7.0 was lauched, SDJ dramatically lowered the memory footprint, much lower than SSL, although CPU use is still considerably higher than SSL, and will probably always be...

I know you're sceptical to SDJ Tecniq, however it has been very solid for me the last 10-12 months, running on a retina 15" 16gb ram. Mostly using SL4, but also 900 SRT, Rane 64, DDJ-SX, DDJ-SZ and AKAI AMX.
Smoke21 8:32 PM - 29 January, 2015
Your clear on what yoy are saying and thanks ill definitely try at home and see what happens... If things dont go well ill just stick to SSL until i get a new mac ... Thanks
DJ Tecniq 11:25 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
none of that even worked for me unfortunately on a 2010 MacBook Pro.

1. How many songs your library Tecniq?
2. How many crates?
3. Are you loading the iTunes lib into SSL/SDJ ?
4. Are you still using the same computer?

After 1.7.0 was lauched, SDJ dramatically lowered the memory footprint, much lower than SSL, although CPU use is still considerably higher than SSL, and will probably always be...

I know you're sceptical to SDJ Tecniq, however it has been very solid for me the last 10-12 months, running on a retina 15" 16gb ram. Mostly using SL4, but also 900 SRT, Rane 64, DDJ-SX, DDJ-SZ and AKAI AMX.
It has no problem running just audio but videos not a chance the cpu gets past halfway and just sky rockets to severe latency. Video stops playing and virtual decks spin slow. Audio never comes back till I replug the usb cable it's hell.
WarpNote 11:27 PM - 29 January, 2015
SV or ME?
DJ Tecniq 11:29 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
SV or ME?
SV here's a video I recorded dl-web.dropbox.com
DJ Tecniq 11:30 PM - 29 January, 2015
New link-www.dropbox.com
WarpNote 11:40 PM - 29 January, 2015
Thats NO fun!

What does the support guys tell you?

Whats the spec of your computer, hardrive (internal/external - usb/FW/Thunderbolt)?

Have you ever had a try with ME? (there is a free trial)..
DJ Tecniq 6:59 PM - 31 January, 2015
Quote:
Thats NO fun!

What does the support guys tell you?

Whats the spec of your computer, hardrive (internal/external - usb/FW/Thunderbolt)?

Have you ever had a try with ME? (there is a free trial)..
Have contacted support they couldn't really help me I did all the steps to "optimize" my Mac it made no difference. It's a 2010 macbook pro it's def outdated but scratchlive never does that with video. 500 gig internal and 1tb external by hub. Have tried videos on internal and external. No difference. that's when I realized SDJ is a resource hog and not stable for my system.
WarpNote 7:59 PM - 31 January, 2015
And MixEmergency, did you try it?
DJ Tecniq 4:48 AM - 1 February, 2015
Quote:
And MixEmergency, did you try it?
good question I have the demo but haven't used it in awhile. I'll have to try it hopefully it won't crash like that.
WarpNote 10:24 AM - 1 February, 2015
Would be interessting to see if there is any difference.
They support a video codec that supposedly has lower cpu usage, taking resources from the gpu instead... github.com
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:01 PM - 1 February, 2015
Quote:
Would be interessting to see if there is any difference.
They support a video codec that supposedly has lower cpu usage, taking resources from the gpu instead... github.com

That's for the sample player in MixEmergency.
WarpNote 12:13 PM - 1 February, 2015
Ah, thanks Woolsey, I didn't know. I don't do regular video myself, but i DO run video out of resolume, 2 or 3 layers in 720p, (DXI codec) while djing in SDJ at the same time.
Frank Redendo 6:39 PM - 24 February, 2015
I have the same issue.

Macbook Pro 2010 4 GB RAM 13 inch mid 2010

2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

256 MB graphics card

meter is always in the red when playing no issues with scratch live and sometimes the audio drops out..i can get the audio back on by adjusting the usb buffer but i should have to do that i am now realzing my mac is not powerful enough to run serato dj? answers?
Frank Redendo 6:40 PM - 24 February, 2015
Also laggy waveforms. any fix to it? i have tried lowering the screen rates to 20..still laggy.
Frank Redendo 6:47 PM - 24 February, 2015
I have the same issue with audio. Audio does not come back on until i change my usb buffer to either 10 or 20. then it the audio might dropout again..then some laggy waveforms just lag in general. sounds like same issues as you guys are having with a 5 year old macbook...scratch live no issues just sucks that i only have a controller to use with serato dj and NO equipment for scratch live too expensive :(
pdidy 6:48 PM - 24 February, 2015
Quote:
I have the same issue.

Macbook Pro 2010 4 GB RAM 13 inch mid 2010

2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

256 MB graphics card

meter is always in the red when playing no issues with scratch live and sometimes the audio drops out..i can get the audio back on by adjusting the usb buffer but i should have to do that i am now realzing my mac is not powerful enough to run serato dj? answers?

Never update passed Mountain lion use scratchlive and if you need serato DJ it's time for a new laptop.
Frank Redendo 6:59 PM - 24 February, 2015
I gotcha now man. My macbook mavericks when i got it off someone did not buy it new..guess i learned something new today will never buy a laptop used again..nothing else wrong with the mac really..just the battery life is a bit bad but the laptop works good just serato dj is very laggy. you think thts the problem? and i have 4gb ram. i should have not updated to yosemite either right?
pdidy 7:21 PM - 24 February, 2015
Quote:
i should have not updated to yosemite either right?

nope, don't update to yosemite unless you have a 2012 MacBook Pro or better.
Frank Redendo 7:27 PM - 24 February, 2015
That was my first problem. you know the issue i am having though..? does not matter if im on serato dj 1.6.3. or 1.7.3. laggy ALOT, waveform issues and audio drops out and does not come back on unless unplugging the usb cable or changing the buffer. it is hell..serato dj works fine about 35% of the time the other 65% is hell..4 gb ram and ive tried putting the screen rate on 30. still an issue what do u reccomend man
WarpNote 7:32 PM - 24 February, 2015
Id try to downgrade the mbp to mountain lion.
pdidy 8:12 PM - 24 February, 2015
Backup all music an Serato folders

Wipe computer clean

Install mountain lion

What controller do you have ?
JDforKing 1:30 AM - 25 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I have a late 2011 macbook pro and currently have yosemite installed, use serato dj 1.7.2 with pitch & time and have experienced no problems.
p45 3:37 AM - 25 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a late 2011 macbook pro and currently have yosemite installed, use serato dj 1.7.2 with pitch & time and have experienced no problems.

Late 2011 15 inch mbp i7 with 16 gb RAM & SSD running Yosemite & 1.7.3 & works fine.
p45 3:45 AM - 25 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Late 2011 15 inch mbp i7 with 16 gb RAM & SSD running Yosemite & 1.7.3 & works fine.

Also just to add my back up / emergency computer is an old 2009 13 mbp with 2.26 dual core / 8gb ram - this machine works ok with Mavericks 1.7.3 on buffer on 5 (very occasional drop outs) was doing some testing so swapped out the hard drive & used the 2009 machine with Yosemite & 1.7.3 did not seem any different from running Mavericks on same machine - although swapping the drives between my machines messed up all my expansion packs (error code 4) But nathaniel sorted this out quickly when I opened a help ticket!
p45 4:25 AM - 25 February, 2015
Quote:
Id try to downgrade the mbp to mountain lion.

@frank redendo

My personal experience with Mavericks (on both machines mentioned above) & serato has not been any different than Mountain Lion....

My advice would be max out the RAM & install an SSD - then if your machine does not perform to your satisfaction sell it & put the RAM & SSD into whatever u buy next
Smoke21 6:35 AM - 25 February, 2015
@P45 thats what im planning on doing upgrading my ram to 8gb and switching to a SSD And see what happens if that doesnt help then definitely save up for a new laptop... Quick question would anyone know if the new macbook pros that come preinstalled with Yosemite can they be Downgrade to lets say Mountain lion?
pdidy 6:39 AM - 25 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Im aware 2011 macbook pro's will likely run yosemite just fine but I intentionally excluded it as an option due to known failure issues. I didn't want anyone reading this thread considering it as a good option because some owners are dumping them for cheap. Its kinda like a game of Hot Potato, dont be the last one holding it :)
JDforKing 7:39 AM - 25 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Im aware 2011 macbook pro's will likely run yosemite just fine but I intentionally excluded it as an option due to known failure issues. I didn't want anyone reading this thread considering it as a good option because some owners are dumping them for cheap. Its kinda like a game of Hot Potato, dont be the last one holding it :)

I think that has something to do with the video card in the 15 inch and i have the 13inch and have yet to experience any problems
pdidy 8:49 AM - 25 February, 2015
You were correct it's the 15&17's effected not the 13's. And I just found out they will be addressing the problem.
www.macworld.co.uk
Frank Redendo 1:54 PM - 25 February, 2015
Thanks guys. That has to be the issue..i have 4gb ram. and my macbook is a 2010 with a 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo. pdidy i dont think i can install mountain lion..i have a numark mixdeck. the audio drops out and i have to change the buffer to whatever setting doesnt (matter) then the audio comes back. it is HELL. been dealing with it for months. sometimes it happens sometimes noting happens. its hell guys..laggy waveforms also..just laggy in general sometimes..serato told me to backup everything on an external i did with time machine and re install the os..but i feel like that wont do anything..what should i do
Smoke21 2:09 PM - 25 February, 2015
Like P45 said and thats what im going to do to my 2009 macbook pro 17" is upgrade RAM and upgrade to a SSD see what happens from there maybe that will help
. If not then time for a new macbook pro
pdidy 7:26 PM - 25 February, 2015
Quote:
and my macbook is a 2010 with a 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo. pdidy i dont think i can install mountain lion..i have a numark mixdeck.

why do you think that ?
Frank Redendo 6:19 PM - 27 February, 2015
You cant downgrade lol ....idk what to do is 4gb of ram not enough for serato dj?
pdidy 8:37 PM - 27 February, 2015
You're not making any sense right now
Frank Redendo 3:19 PM - 28 February, 2015
You cant downgrade from yosemite. I should have never upgraded. Mavericks was so much better i did not have a mavericks backup on my time machine either im stressed lol...mavericks worked much better..and is 4gb of ram not good enough for serato dj? i moved my screen rate down to 20 and it seemed to work better on version 1.6.3. on yosemite. i feel like 1.6.3. was the most stable.
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:26 PM - 28 February, 2015
you can downgrade any os by removing it and installing another one,

you could also partition the hdd and run 2 os's

G.Y.G.O (get your google on)
Frank Redendo 4:02 PM - 28 February, 2015
I have my whole macbook backed up on an external through time machine. is it tough to do? i want mountain lion. help me out. never did anything like that before. only a mac user for a couple of months now.
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:24 PM - 28 February, 2015
if you don't know what your doing it's probably tough, have a read of this
www.macworld.co.uk
then google a few more guides or watch a youtube vid or two and if your confident you can do it go for it