DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane Sixty Eight Cue 1 Button Broken AGAIN - 4th Time Needs Repair

Scott Campbell 10:53 PM - 26 January, 2015
Well again I am going to have to send my Sixty Eight back for repair for the cue buttons. The Cue 1 on the left side is not working again. This will its 4th trip back to RANE in a little over 4 and 1/2 years of use. That is not a good track record for a piece of gear costing $2600.00. I would have expected to get a little better quality from something with a RANE logo on it. YES...... I know it is 4 and 1/2 years old now here but again 4 trips for repair seems a bit ridiculous to me.
Scott Campbell 9:43 PM - 27 January, 2015
So just got off the phone with Rane and was told the new hourly rate for repair on DJ mixers is $125.00 per hour and they estimate for cue button repair would be about $475.00 plus shipping both ways! That sounds CRAZY to me! I know it is only an estimate on the repair but DAMN $475.00 to fix a problem that has been an issue with this unit since I purchased it? I am going to have to think long and hard on if it is worth fixing or not.

Not a happy person right now here that is for sure!
Gio Alex 5:42 PM - 28 January, 2015
Everyone knows those hard ass buttons sucked on that mixer. I would've sold it asap and bought a 64 rather than repairing it.
Scott Campbell 11:35 PM - 28 January, 2015
Well I got the RA and I am debating on getting a Sixty Two. I would still rather use Scratch Live then SDJ so i am gonna borrow a Sixty Two from a friend and see how I like it before i spend the money on a new one.

Quote:
Everyone knows those hard ass buttons sucked on that mixer. I would've sold it asap and bought a 64 rather than repairing it.

You are 100% correct on that! The buttons from DAY ONE sucked and it was only about a couple of months before it went back for repair and then it has gone back every year after with some sort of issue!
Gio Alex 11:44 PM - 28 January, 2015
Quote:
Well I got the RA and I am debating on getting a Sixty Two. I would still rather use Scratch Live then SDJ so i am gonna borrow a Sixty Two from a friend and see how I like it before i spend the money on a new one.

Quote:

You are 100% correct on that! The buttons from DAY ONE sucked and it was only about a couple of months before it went back for repair and then it has gone back every year after with some sort of issue!

I remember the day that mixer dropped officially in stores my old spot got a few and I spent some hours testing it and I recall saying to myself, "oh hell naw!!" when I hit those cue buttons. lol
pdidy 7:13 AM - 29 January, 2015
You must be a gluten for punishment I would've sold that mixer a long time ago. You will learn.
Scott Campbell 11:09 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
You must be a gluten for punishment I would've sold that mixer a long time ago. You will learn.

Ohh I know but after investing $2600.00 it is hard to let go. I like Scratch Live vs. SDJ so the Sixty Four is not really an option. The mixer other the the shitty buttons has been rock solid and sounds great. I gotta make up my mind on what I am gonna get now.
pdidy 2:39 AM - 30 January, 2015
Hmmm....I see your dilemma, so in that case you're pretty much f*cked don't have a choice but to deal with it unless you're willing to give up 4 channels an go rane 62.
Scott Campbell 4:27 AM - 30 January, 2015
I think i am gonna go with the 62 here. I can get by with the 2 channels on it. Only issue I could see is only having one Mic input on it but will just have to deal with that as well.
pdidy 11:58 AM - 30 January, 2015
On second thought maybe you should stay away from anything with buttons because iether you are very unlucky.............or the cause of the issue.
Gio Alex 4:36 PM - 30 January, 2015
Quote:
Ohh I know but after investing $2600.00 it is hard to let go. I like Scratch Live vs. SDJ so the Sixty Four is not really an option. The mixer other the the shitty buttons has been rock solid and sounds great. I gotta make up my mind on what I am gonna get now.

Yeah that's a tough corner you're in. Do you definitely need the Dual USB or 4CH?
WarpNote 8:20 PM - 31 January, 2015
Quote:
On second thought maybe you should stay away from anything with buttons because iether you are very unlucky.............or the cause of the issue.

LOL, I went through 2 separate 68 mixers in a rather short period myself.
The mixer is great, but the buttons was not a good construction.
I used dicers or the HC1000S with it most of the time.
Had issues with the regular channel cue buttons too...

Sold it and got a 900SRT, but missing a Rane still, so looking to pick up a 62 as a "backup"
Scott Campbell 10:58 PM - 1 February, 2015
Quote:

Or maybe pdidy if you do not have something that is constructive or helpful to add to the conversation maybe you should consider keeping your comments to yourself instead of trolling the board like you normally do.
Scott Campbell 11:04 PM - 1 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Sold it and got a 900SRT, but missing a Rane still, so looking to pick up a 62 as a "backup"

I also had issues with the on/off for the mixer effects. That is a button that is used much less in comparison to the cue points so it is definitely a quality issue IMO.
Scott Campbell 11:13 PM - 1 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah that's a tough corner you're in. Do you definitely need the Dual USB or 4CH?

No I really do not need the 4 channels on the mixer as I almost NEVER play from anything but Scratch Live. The Sixty Two has the dual USB, better buttons and the built in mixer effects are way better as well. I am however gonna miss the digital input and the extra mic channel.
DJMark 1:38 AM - 2 February, 2015
I wish the 68 button problems had been resolved...and also that the flex fx wasn't chained up to all the other effects. It was a nice mixer otherwise. Had to sell it and get a 62 instead because of those buttons...
Scott Campbell 4:06 AM - 2 February, 2015
Quote:
I wish the 68 button problems had been resolved...and also that the flex fx wasn't chained up to all the other effects. It was a nice mixer otherwise. Had to sell it and get a 62 instead because of those buttons...

DJ Mark u are soooooo right! As far a a mixer goes I have been happy with everything but the buttons for the most part here. It is a shame they did not get that right for sure!

I am gonna order my Sixty Two in the morning I think thou if u read the postings about the Sixty Two on here there were problems with those buttons as well! I am sure by now they have gotten things right.................. I hope!
pdidy 2:13 AM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Or maybe pdidy if you do not have something that is constructive or helpful to add to the conversation maybe you should consider keeping your comments to yourself instead of trolling the board like you normally do.

Don't be so defensive just because you don't agree with what is the most constructive, helpful and honest recommendation you could personally receive at this point.......
DJMark 6:47 AM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
I think thou if u read the postings about the Sixty Two on here there were problems with those buttons as well! I am sure by now they have gotten things right.................. I hope!

There have now been three "generations" of 62 mixer buttons that I'm aware of...the two mixers I've had sent in over the last 6 months that had button problems have had all buttons upgraded to the "generation 3" type, and since then I've seen no more problems with them.

I wish the cue buttons were being integrated in a way that was more easily field-serviceable. Such as maybe having them mounted onto a removable "strip" that could be changed out about as easily as a channel fader.
Scott Campbell 6:11 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't be so defensive just because you don't agree with what is the most constructive, helpful and honest recommendation you could personally receive at this point.......

And pdidy you don't be so defensive when i call you out as a forum troll for making accusations that I am on purpose breaking my own stuff.
pdidy 10:12 PM - 3 February, 2015
How dare you accuse me of trolling you, after all I do have standards for trolling and they do require complete incompetence and or extreme ignorance.....Neither of which you have qualified for YET.

This is nothing more than a case of paranoia because I don't believe you "purposely" or maliciously damage your gear (that would be insane) unless you had an agenda against Rane which I don't believe is the case here either.

But judging from the facts presented, It appears both parties may be partially negligent but it can not be proven 100% either way.
nik39 5:05 PM - 8 February, 2015
pdidy, Scott is so right. Have you check the mirror and wondered where that brown nose comes from? Or are you hoping to get extra points from the manufacturers?

Fact is.. numerous times you're blaming the customers. Numerous times you indicate that it's the users fault.

Dude.. people are paying top notch money for a product they should be able to rely on. If it doesn't work, and the user has taken care of basic things (like doing a basic test at home, before using it at a gig), it is *not* the users fault. Then the company didn't do their homework.

And you keep on implying again and again, that it is the users fault, just like you did in this case.

The troll award for 2014 goes.. *drumroll* for the 5th time in a row... to pdidy. And I think you will make it the 6th in a row. Congrats in advance.
DJ Quartz 7:12 PM - 8 February, 2015
I have a secondary 68 from my residency and I'm just trying to get it repaired, bad buttons, etc, etc...

The main one works fine and it's a decent mixer but trying to get the broken one fixed has been a gong show up here in Canada.
pdidy 7:34 PM - 8 February, 2015
Ok nik39 here is your opportunity to beat me in a debate and redeem yourself for the first time. I'm well aware that you've taken all those lost debates too hart it's completely driving you crazy. So here's the rules nik39 "stick to the topic" Scott Campbell's topic and prove me wrong.

In order to prove me wrong you will need to prove that serato is 100% liable here and that Scott Campbell has 0% fault here.

I predict this will be another debate you will lose because you are basing it on your emotions and not the clear facts of the case.
pdidy 7:38 PM - 8 February, 2015
Correction, Rane's liability is in question here not serato.
pdidy 8:11 PM - 8 February, 2015
Quote:
If it doesn't work, and the user has taken care of basic things (like doing a basic test at home, before using it at a gig), it is *not* the users fault.

You do realize that you are now admitting that I was right all along in past debates.

It was me who stated "user has taken care of basic things (like doing a basic test at home, before using it at a gig)" and you said i was wrong for calling it use it "user error" when the user failed to properly test before a live gigs. But thank you for finally admitting that you were wrong on that point in the past.
nik39 9:32 PM - 8 February, 2015
Quote:
In order to prove me wrong you will need to prove that serato is 100% liable here and that Scott Campbell has 0% fault here.

LOL. So you're trying to hide behind the fact that you used an "OR" in your sentence when you said "On second thought maybe you should stay away from anything with buttons because iether you are very unlucky.............or the cause of the issue."

You know exactly what you were trying to imply. Stop backpeddling.

And to your other comment: Stop backpeddling again. You know exactly what you're trying to imply... you were belittling any user who was experiencing crashes. Like in this case you are downtalking Scott, when you don't even have any reason to do so. It is well documented that the buttons on the 68 have been causing issues for many users. Instead of acknowledging this, you are hinting that it's Scott's fault. Poor, really.

And suddenly you're talking about "basic" testing? LOL. Stop backpeddling. It is also well documented on the forum who you're belittling other users, and tell them "it's your fault!" even when they have told you, they did their basic testing at home before using the gear.

A basic test - yep, it would be insane not to do a basic test from a professional point of view. I never negated that. However.. Serato DJ/SSL/ITCH is a professional product too. They have to do their homework too. You buy their products, you can expect them to work. Period.

To sum it up (I wrote this in a different thread):
Quote:
Sure. Even when you say "the list goes on" it is so obvious that you always seem to blame the user first. The items you listed clearly indicated "doh, its YOUR fault, not Serato's".

There are many, many posts on this forum where you first blame the user, before even thinking of who is actually responsible for crashes and such - the manufacturer of the software. Just scroll up to your first post in this thread: It's a link to one of most useless threads on this forum "It's your fault if Serato's sofware crashes".

No, it's not!

Any customer who paid top notch money for Serato's product has the right to expect top notch quality. If they do not receive the best quality, it is their damned right to complain on Serato's forum. They can expect the softare not to crash! Yes! If I need to test everything from scratch [no pun intended ;)] then I could code a sofware by myself, or use a cheaper or even free solution. The reason a customer is happy to pay top notch dollar is because they expect the software to work as advertised.

Any crash is one crash too much. And it is Serato's task to narrow down the issues of the crashes. And you, pdidy, try to belittle those people who're doing us all a favor - they spend their free time to post about their problems and crashes on this forum, so we all can benefit. You try to shut them down with your ignorant posts, thinking that you're doing anyone a favor. No! You're not even doing Serato a favor! Because they need to know about the problems, so that they can fix it. For us. And --- for them!

Happy customer - returning customer.
Scott Campbell 10:54 PM - 8 February, 2015
Quote:
pdidy, Scott is so right. Have you check the mirror and wondered where that brown nose comes from? Or are you hoping to get extra points from the manufacturers?

Fact is.. numerous times you're blaming the customers. Numerous times you indicate that it's the users fault.

Dude.. people are paying top notch money for a product they should be able to rely on. If it doesn't work, and the user has taken care of basic things (like doing a basic test at home, before using it at a gig), it is *not* the users fault. Then the company didn't do their homework.

And you keep on implying again and again, that it is the users fault, just like you did in this case.

The troll award for 2014 goes.. *drumroll* for the 5th time in a row... to pdidy. And I think you will make it the 6th in a row. Congrats in advance.

nIK30..............YOU ARE MY NEW BEST FRIEND!!!!!
Scott Campbell 11:23 PM - 8 February, 2015
All i know is that the CUE buttons on my mixer failed within I believe the first 2 months. I take great care of my equipment and I am not a crazy button button masher here either. Usually for the Hot Cues i use the ones on my then Denon 3700's and now my 3900's and have never had any issues on the players at all. Returning a $2600.00 every year for repair is not what I bargained for when i made my purchase. I would not mind returning it again for repair EXCEPT that they estimate to fix aA SINGLE BUTTON from Rane is over $400.00 plus shipping from North Carolina all the way across the country and back. So basically to fix one button that continually has failed because of a design flaw from the company to begin with seems a bit outrageous to me. I did get my Sixty Two the other day and I am loving the button design on them but................. if you read thru the forum the First and Second generation Sixty Twos had major button failures as well. Rane has always been known for their quality products but IMO a little more R and D was needed before the release of some of their mixer models.
pdidy 12:21 AM - 9 February, 2015
Quote:
You know exactly what you were trying to imply. Stop backpedaling.

I'm not implying anything or backpedaling anything, its all stated in plain English. I suspect your comprehension of the language may be the issue here or you're just "Playing Dumb" as they say.

I have no reason to nor have I ever belittled Scott Campbell because as I've clearly stated he does NOT display "complete incompetence and or extreme ignorance". Difference of opinion has never qualified as belittling , this is a discussion forum so we are here to freely discuss topics regardless of opinion be it right or wrong. You fail to understand this and is the reason you fail in this specific debate.

You sir are in serious need an English dictionary. Now am I belittling YOU if your need for a dictionary is true ? lol......(sarcasm) You have a history of not quite getting sarcasm either :)

Quote:
It is well documented that the buttons on the 68 have been causing issues for many users.

This is the only fact you have presented which is true but you still managed to fail at it because I agree the original buttons are shitty so your point is moot. Ive even stated in other threads that the 57,68,62 had button issues which admits Rane has a history of button failure yet you will continue allege im sticking up for them....smh.

Quote:
Instead of acknowledging this, you are hinting that it's Scott's fault. Poor, really.
Your reading comprehension fails you again, I said "You must be a gluten for punishment I would've sold that mixer a long time ago. You will learn." Which mean I would have personally dumped this mixer a long time ago BUT Scott Campbell choose to keep returning to it even after numerous failures ? Surely you don't thing im the only one that sees that as a bad idea ? I'm just not afraid to say what everyone is already thinking.....

So you've stated 1 fact that was not under debate and the rest was irrelevant stuff you copy an paste in every debate we have. I know you have issues with staying on topic which is why I tried to help you by saying "So here's the rules nik39 "stick to the topic" Scott Campbell's topic and prove me wrong." This is why you lose every debate nik, you never have all the facts....lol
nik39 1:43 AM - 9 February, 2015
Right, so you assume it is my lack of "reading comprehensions" or "comprehension of the language may be the issue here".

Funny, so Scott doesn't understand English either right?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fact is... you're *clearly* belittling Scott and accusing him of being the issue in this case. Obviously it is not only my understanding.

lol, and you dare to deny that you're backpeddling, cause suddenly you're trying to act like you were saying good things about him ("nor have I ever belittled Scott Campbell").

Arguing with you is really, really boring.

Quote:
Quote:
It is well documented that the buttons on the 68 have been causing issues for many users.

This is the only fact you have presented which is true but you still managed to fail at it because I agree the original buttons are shitty so your point is moot. Ive even stated in other threads that the 57,68,62 had button issues which admits Rane has a history of button failure yet you will continue allege im sticking up for them....smh.

Yep, and this just proves the fact - your behaviour is that of a troll. You admit that you think/know that the buttons are known to cause problems. But still you indicate that it is his fault and his incompetence which causes the issue

Quote:

This is a prime example of you...

- acting like a troll (trying to get a rise, huh)
- belittling users (in this case Scott, even when you know of the existence of the issue he is talking about - you just acknowledged it.

Something which also other forum users found out to be true: You're behaviour is that of a troll. I can only agree.

Thank your for proving the points.

Arguing with you is really, really boring.
pdidy 2:34 AM - 9 February, 2015
Quote:

In my opinion Scott is just being defensive, its a common human trait that some people display when someone disagrees with them and alleges that they may also be at fault. Its nothing new, many people react that way when someone introduces an apposing point of view.

You on the other hand are just jumping on the bandwagon because you have an "axe to grind" due to past lost debates. So you two are not the same.....

Back on topic and the facts, Do you have any ? Or are you content with what you think you've proven ?
WarpNote 8:13 AM - 9 February, 2015
Quote:
I got to agree with others here pdidy, that comment was uncalled for.

The 68 did not sell that much, and that's the main reason you did not see more complaints about the the buttons. They are far far far, worse than those on the 62 and 57mk1, and for the price of the 68, not acceptable in any way. If the 68 had reached bigger sales, this forum would be swarmed with users like Scott & myself who felt they did not get their moneys worth.

As for "do your research", the issues surfaced after a few months, so any early adoptors of the mixers would be burnt either way. I went to a local demo when the mixer was released, BigWiz & Mike from Rane made a great showcase, and were very convincing about the product. No mentioning of the buttons from them or any local store reps.

Quote:
Rane is known as a stand up company, they pride themselves with the best service in the industry, they also pride themselves with the notion of handbuilt in the us, unmatched quality. So it's is fair to expect top quality and treatment of clients. In all respect to Rane, in this round they sadly failed.

Yes, personally I sold my mixer, but only because I live in Norway, Europe, and my experience with local service was horrible. The reseller spent over 2 months sorting out the issue, and I learnt that most of the time, my mixer was sitting their office! The mixer was under warranty and they didn't wanna pay shipping, and they were just stalling! After raising hell with them, they returned another new display unit, shipped in from Sweden. Big surprise, after a rather short time, I had huge issues with several buttons, again. Actually a line fader too this time around...

Bottom line, the 68 buttons are sadly not up to the quality of what should be expected of Rane, and not worth the sticker price IMO. The way Rane handled this issue, is not how I think they should. Honestly, I think it should have been a callback. Scott was not very unlucky, as most users had huge issues with the buttons. Implying he should should stay away from buttons, and being the cause of the issue, was offensive, and Scott has every right to be offended.

I'm sad to raise "the 68 misfortunate saga", as In general I think Rane is very stand up, and generally very high quality. I still want another Rane mixer (I bought a 900SRT to replace the 68), but after that incident, I am more hesitant. I might pull the trigger on a used 62, but I'm not buying a brand new sticker price Rane for the moment.
pdidy 6:03 PM - 9 February, 2015
Quote:
I still want another Rane mixer (I bought a 900SRT to replace the 68), but after that incident, I am more hesitant. I might pull the trigger on a used 62, but I'm not buying a brand new sticker price Rane for the moment.

You chose to stay away from rane and their notorious buttons but you find it improper for me to recommend Scott to do the same ? I'm sure you can see how that would sound a bit contradictory, could you clear that up please ?
WarpNote 6:22 PM - 9 February, 2015
No pdidy that is NOT correct, you said:
Quote:

That is in no way the same as:
Quote:
You chose to stay away from rane and their notorious buttons but you find it improper for me to recommend Scott to do the same ?
If your intention was to recommend him to stay away from Rane, then you probably wanna reconsider how you express yourself. As this would easily be perceived as an insult.

First rule of the forum is "Be nice to others." I can't really see how that remark was anything of the like. -> serato.com

Quote:
I'm sure you can see how that would sound a bit contradictory, could you clear that up please ?
I think this is crystal clear... NO?
pdidy 7:03 PM - 9 February, 2015
Quote:
First rule of the forum is "Be nice to others."

are you serious ? If so I believe the incident has made you overly emotional and irrational if you think this even comes close to forum rules.....lol
WarpNote 9:00 PM - 9 February, 2015
Stay on topic please. I am serious, no need for offensive wording.
I am in no way emotional nor irrational, I am holding you to your statement:
Quote:

I know you wrote it humor pdidy, but when you make fun of other users like in the in your buttons comment, I think the only one laughing is you. I know you have so much good knowledge, I'd rather see you share that, than making jokes on others misfortune.
pdidy 10:06 PM - 9 February, 2015
Quote:
I know you wrote it humor pdidy, but when you make fun of other users like in the in your buttons comment, I think the only one laughing is you.

You're right, Bad pdidy.....

Quote:
Quote:

On second thought......lol

Priceless !
WarpNote 3:03 AM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
Never thought you'd admit it ;-)

Quote:
LOL, As in you obviously don't have much experience with the 68 buttons...
pdidy 3:28 AM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Never thought you'd admit it ;-)

Quote:
LOL, As in you obviously don't have much experience with the 68 buttons...

No you were laughing at Scott and belittling him, don't try to backtrack now......That was offensive and Im holding you too it.......

See what I just did ?
DJMark 3:51 AM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
The 68 did not sell that much, and that's the main reason you did not see more complaints about the the buttons. They are far far far, worse than those on the 62 and 57mk1, and for the price of the 68, not acceptable in any way. If the 68 had reached bigger sales, this forum would be swarmed with users like Scott & myself who felt they did not get their moneys worth.

That's a very good point.

I'd say many of us quietly got rid of our Sixty-Eights fairly quickly after the 62 came out...not only were those 68 buttons starting to become well-known as trouble-prone, from day one they had a bad "feel" to them. Probably my 68 buttons stayed operable mostly because I continued to use the Denon DNHC-1000 for cuepoint purposes most of the time even after getting the 68.

Rane is a much better company than most, but even great companies make mistakes.
WarpNote 3:58 AM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
No you were laughing at Scott and belittling him, don't try to backtrack now......That was offensive and Im holding you too it.......
You're wrong, I was in sympathy with Stott, and still am. For the record, I have never used the word "belittling", however that particular button comment of yours, could be perceived as an insult, making a joke on others misfortune. I am not saying you actually enjoy his misfortune, but the comment doesn't really promote sympathy towards him, to be honest.

Quote:
See what I just did ?
You assumed I did the same as you, I did not.
What I did was that I explained how I had the same experiences with the mixer, that I used HC1000S in addition, and buttons still broke. Now that I think back, I even had dicers with the setup to save the buttons.

What also you did:
You never said much experience you actually have with the 68 buttons?
Lets hear it pdidy?

Quote:
Rane is a much better company than most, but even great companies make mistakes.
Yep...
pdidy 4:43 AM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
You never said much experience you actually have with the 68 buttons?
Lets hear it pdidy?

How is my experience relevant to the discussion ?
pdidy 5:36 AM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
You're wrong, I was in sympathy with Stott, and still am. For the record, I have never used the word "belittling", however that particular button comment of yours, could be perceived as an insult, making a joke on others misfortune.

No, you missed the meaning of what I was trying to show you without having to spell it out for you.

I incorrectly perceived your "LOL" as laughing at Scott, you then corrected me because I took it out of context...... You and Scott have the wrong perception of my comment and are taking it out of context and continue to even after I've clearly stated that it was perceived wrong. So I gave you an example of that and turned the tables and pretended not to believe you to help you understand by saying "No you were laughing at Scott and...ect....Im holding you too it" but you totally missed the point again....lol

Btw, when somebody says "See what I just did ?" Its a clue to not take them literally like you did...lol
DJ Quartz 1:11 PM - 10 February, 2015
Ok let's get back to the topic on hand...

People who need to get their 68 serviced and not from the US need some assistance here.
pdidy 8:36 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:

People who need to get their 68 serviced and not from the US need some assistance here.

people who need repair will simply send it to rane or authorized repair center and have it repaired for free under warranty. But this does not apply to the op because he is not covered under warranty and will incur repair costs in the hundreds of dollars. So in my opinion the only logical solution for users wishing to keep the rane 68 is to learn to repair the rane 68.

Step 1. Buy some buttons here www.instrumentalparts.com and at the Op's rate of failure $100 will Buy him 10 buttons providing him approx 10 years service.

Step 2. Repair it in 30 - 60 minutes @ a cost of $10 per button.
Watchm.youtube.com
Watchm.youtube.com

Step 3. See step 1.
DJ Quartz 8:42 PM - 10 February, 2015
That is one repair of many. I have a mixer that needs a new board. What the Canadian distributor is trying to say even though it's not under warranty anymore is they can't send out a part like that even though it will be paid out of pocket.

Also the message I got from Rane is being in Canada is that I can only send it to the Canadian distro since they do repairs as well. I can't send it directly to Rane themselves.

Being this is the club's mixer I can clean it up, etc. But I'm not going to do board level repairs on it unless I was replacing the whole board.

That is the dilemma
pdidy 8:47 PM - 10 February, 2015
This is a totally different topic maybe a new thread would be better.
DJ Quartz 9:16 PM - 10 February, 2015
I'll leave the last as comment as such.

If there is a report depot in North Dakota by chance, someone PM because I am 4hrs from the border.
WarpNote 12:01 AM - 11 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

people who need repair will simply send it to rane or authorized repair center and have it repaired for free under warranty. But this does not apply to the op because he is not covered under warranty and will incur repair costs in the hundreds of dollars. So in my opinion the only logical solution for users wishing to keep the rane 68 is to learn to repair the rane 68.

Step 1. Buy some buttons here www.instrumentalparts.com and at the Op's rate of failure $100 will Buy him 10 buttons providing him approx 10 years service.

Watchm.youtube.com
Watchm.youtube.com

Step 3. See step 1.

Good post, very constructive :)
s3kn0tr0n1c 4:48 PM - 11 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Watchm.youtube.com
Watchm.youtube.com

Step 3. See step 1.

Going from video and other reports, maybe he only needs the oil. Could maybe be the actual push switch just needs greased up a little..
s3kn0tr0n1c 4:50 PM - 11 February, 2015
Easily checked (once opened) with a multimeter on the switch contacts to see that when pressed they short together.
Scott Campbell 9:17 PM - 12 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

In my opinion Scott is just being defensive, its a common human trait that some people display when someone disagrees with them and alleges that they may also be at fault. Its nothing new, many people react that way when someone introduces an apposing point of view.

You on the other hand are just jumping on the bandwagon because you have an "axe to grind" due to past lost debates. So you two are not the same.....

Back on topic and the facts, Do you have any ? Or are you content with what you think you've proven ?

Is stating FACTS about my ongoing issues if being defensive???
Scott Campbell 9:21 PM - 12 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchm.youtube.com
Watchm.youtube.com

Step 3. See step 1.

Going from video and other reports, maybe he only needs the oil. Could maybe be the actual push switch just needs greased up a little..

The button is not even clicking any more. SO I am pretty sure oil is not gonna fix it. I might get brave and open it up myself and see of the washers Rane installed the first time as a "FIX" for the problems have wore out but I think it is going to be more an issue that is beyond my expertise to repair.
pdidy 12:10 AM - 13 February, 2015
Quote:

C'mon scott, that something Nik would say. I refuse to believe you can not differentiate between Facts and statements I referred to as defensive.

Quote:
The button is not even clicking any more. SO I am pretty sure oil is not gonna fix it. I might get brave and open it up myself and see of the washers Rane installed the first time as a "FIX" for the problems have wore out but I think it is going to be more an issue that is beyond my expertise to repair.

1. The button not clicking does not mean the actual contact switch is broken as s3kn0tr0n1c stated. I have real world experiece with my rane 57 misfiring or not at all. The switch was NOT broken and only needed lubrication/cleaning to fix and or maintain.

2. This is not just any old oil, I think deoxit store.caig.com will be appropriate but you should check with rane to confirm first.

3. You wont know till you try, it only take 30 min out of your life to figure out with very little expertise or risk required. So by this time tomorrow you should know.....
Mr. Goodkat 12:49 PM - 20 February, 2015
this is my issue with rane vs pioneer. everyone argues about the quality build and sound of rane but i just don't see them being better than anyone else. just more of the same.

while the 600 was awful imo, pioneer since the 800 has been pretty solid. I bought a 68 for a club and returned it before we opened. ive seen beat 57s with crusted buttons and broken faders and always missing caps. the 62 had, as mentioned above, 3 sets of cue pads. now of course some have had 0 issues with their rane gear, but so have pioneer guys. Since the 800 and now 900srt, they still dont have the sheer speed and size of a 57, but ive never had any problems and in most club installs with a few beat mids and a tweeter broken here and there the warmness of the rane rarely helps more than the clarity of the pioneer.

again, if you have a mixer, clean and lube it every month or less maybe the rane problems arent so bad, but this proves that rane clearly has as many, or more, problems as all the other manufactures. no bashing rane, just saying dont buy into the myth these mixers sound perfect and are built like tanks.
Mr. Goodkat 12:50 PM - 20 February, 2015
and the warmness of the rane rarely helps more than the clarity of the pioneer.
Scott Campbell 7:01 AM - 24 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

C'mon scott, that something Nik would say. I refuse to believe you can not differentiate between Facts and statements I referred to as defensive.

Quote:

1. The button not clicking does not mean the actual contact switch is broken as s3kn0tr0n1c stated. I have real world experiece with my rane 57 misfiring or not at all. The switch was NOT broken and only needed lubrication/cleaning to fix and or maintain.

2. This is not just any old oil, I think deoxit store.caig.com will be appropriate but you should check with rane to confirm first.

3. You wont know till you try, it only take 30 min out of your life to figure out with very little expertise or risk required. So by this time tomorrow you should know.....

I am going to take the mixer apart and have a look at it over the weekend. May main beef with it is the POOR build quality of these CUE switches from the get go! I would have expected Rane to do a little better on this because they are Rane.
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:24 AM - 24 February, 2015
Just check switch shorts with a multimeter. I recon the pcb switch be fine and its just the plastic mechanism to press it thats the problem.
Scott Campbell 7:02 AM - 28 February, 2015
Quote:
Just check switch shorts with a multimeter. I recon the pcb switch be fine and its just the plastic mechanism to press it thats the problem.

Thanks for the advice on this!!!!
monkeyfunk 9:59 PM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I think thou if u read the postings about the Sixty Two on here there were problems with those buttons as well! I am sure by now they have gotten things right.................. I hope!

There have now been three "generations" of 62 mixer buttons that I'm aware of...the two mixers I've had sent in over the last 6 months that had button problems have had all buttons upgraded to the "generation 3" type, and since then I've seen no more problems with them.

I wish the cue buttons were being integrated in a way that was more easily field-serviceable. Such as maybe having them mounted onto a removable "strip" that could be changed out about as easily as a channel fader.

How do the Generation 3 buttons differ ? My 62 is off to Rane/Polar Audio in the UK this week, hope I can get the latest unbreakable type on there...
Luke Annett 11:31 PM - 29 September, 2015
Just had a cue button jam on my MP2015. And then I learn that quality control and reliability is not an unusual issue with Rane mixers these days..... I will be selling mine as soon as the cue button gets fixed. Goodbye Rane.

I spend $3500 aud on a mixer. I don't expect a stupid little button to jam on it with 3-4 months of minimal use.
Luke Annett 11:35 PM - 29 September, 2015
Just for curiosity? What's about the best brand for reliability nowadays?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:59 AM - 30 September, 2015
Quote:
Just had a cue button jam on my MP2015. And then I learn that quality control and reliability is not an unusual issue with Rane mixers these days..... I will be selling mine as soon as the cue button gets fixed. Goodbye Rane.

I spend $3500 aud on a mixer. I don't expect a stupid little button to jam on it with 3-4 months of minimal use.

So.... Did you even bother trying to get it fixed? Warranty?
pdidy 3:04 AM - 30 September, 2015
Quote:
I will be selling mine as soon as the cue button gets fixed. Goodbye Rane.

Your gonna make someone very happy, how much you selling it for ?
Luke Annett 12:53 PM - 30 September, 2015
It's getting fixed currently under warranty. I will be selling it as soon as I get it back.

I'm in Australia if you want to make an offer.
Mr. Goodkat 8:30 PM - 30 September, 2015
Quote:
Just for curiosity? What's about the best brand for reliability nowadays?

pioneer.
nik39 8:32 PM - 30 September, 2015
Quote:
pioneer.

*cough* whuuut?
Mr. Goodkat 8:40 PM - 30 September, 2015
i havent had any problems or seen many problems with 800s/900s as i have with rane mixers as of late. i know they have 1 zillion products, but mixer-wise those have been pretty solid.
Luke Annett 11:13 PM - 30 September, 2015
Well, just judging by the amount of hardware issue posts from Pioneer or Rane in these forums it look like you're right.

Looks like I'll be getting a 900, put some rotary faders on it and use my external dac at home.

Either that or I mod an Ecler Nuo 4 to have permanent midi, rotary faders and use a denon ds4 interface. I do love my Ecler mixers.....
pdidy 1:26 AM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
Well, just judging by the amount of hardware issue posts from Pioneer or Rane in these forums it look like you're right.

Quote:
i havent had any problems or seen many problems with 800s/900s as i have with rane mixers as of late.

Well considering pioneer "MIXERS" don't have que buttons like Rane (that are undeniable problematic) I would hold all judgement until Pioneer mixer buttons experience the abuse by Gorilla strengthen by Molly, Meth and Crack high button pushin djs.

Until then its all apples to oranges.
Mr. Goodkat 2:16 AM - 1 October, 2015
mixer to mixer its just whether it breaks or not. its not apples to oranges, like at tt or cdj to a mixer though.
pdidy 5:02 AM - 1 October, 2015
Ok think about it this way.......

1. Moving parts exhibit more failures compared to stationary parts.

2. More moving parts increase the points of failure.

Provided you agree with the statements above, isn't it only logical to expect Rane to have a higher failure rate in comparison ?

Now if the pioneer s9 cue buttons survive the abuse of dj's I'll be more inclined to agree with you.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:47 PM - 1 October, 2015
Luke,

I'm sorry to hear you have an issue with one of the buttons on the MP2015. You are the first person we've heard to run into any issues with the switch/cap. Is the cap just not coming back up? Perhaps its just stuck under the top board.

Know that the issues you've read about above have nothing to do with the MP2015.
The MP2015 is built like a tank (yes.. way more durable than the Pio 900) and the switches on it are the same ones used on high end mixing consoles. I'm not sure what happened to the cap/switch on your unit but I would be extremely surprised if that happened to you again.

I would suggest getting your unit fixed under its three year warranty and giving it another shot. Worst case you can sell it for what you bought it for a year from now. You currently have the best mixer on the planet that made by a company who will give you the best customer service in the industry.
Feel free to hit me up personally about any gripes, issues, or concerns you have with your unit. My contact can be found here. Zach Stone --> www.rane.com

Luke Annett 9:57 PM - 1 October, 2015
Well it's getting fixed and we shall see how it goes I guess...

Thank you for the reply and offer of help.
Luke Annett 10:41 PM - 1 October, 2015
Sometimes the cap doesn't come back up (jamming the cue on) and if it does come back up it will always do it very slowly.

I really don't know what I am going to do... It's been suggested to me that I get an xone db4... But I've read they've had issues too....

What the hell is it with digital mixers these days? I owned an Ecler SMAC Pro 40 mixer for 12 years and didn't have a single issue.... I even spilt a beer into it one night and it unbelievably just kept going. All these mixers nowadays all seem to have issues.

And even if I get a used Nuo 4 so I can use midi... I'm stuck with getting an SL box and can't use my own dac. I need to do a sound test today with my Ecler mac90v to see if I'm happy with the sound after using the 2015... But will I be happy with the sound from an SL box?!?

I'm currently using a ddj-ergo (while the 2015 gets fixed) and using audio hijack to hijack the output from Serato DJ to my own dac. Sounds bloody amazing (yes, my dac sounds slightly better than the AKM in the MP2015). I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing with the ddj-sx2. Although I have no idea how trying to put rotary faders in the sx2 would go... ha!!!!

All these companies seem to like limiting our options in their products... Is it that hard to put digital inputs and outputs on your mixers and controllers?!?!?!?

All I want is a basic midi mappable mixer (preferably rotary) with no over the top stupid effects that has Serato dvs and a digital out..... I guess the MP2015 is the only one that fits that bill only after spending a small fortune on it...
pdidy 12:55 AM - 2 October, 2015
Quote:
I owned an Ecler SMAC Pro 40 mixer for 12 years and didn't have a single issue....

interesting, Never seen one of those before anony.ws
What does the Punch button do ? the 20 www.spheremusic.com has a cut an punch button ?
Mr. Goodkat 1:12 AM - 2 October, 2015
Quote:
Ok think about it this way.......

1. Moving parts exhibit more failures compared to stationary parts.

2. More moving parts increase the points of failure.

Provided you agree with the statements above, isn't it only logical to expect Rane to have a higher failure rate in comparison ?

Now if the pioneer s9 cue buttons survive the abuse of dj's I'll be more inclined to agree with you.

they both have cue buttons do they not? was he talking about the cue buttons?
Mr. Goodkat 1:12 AM - 2 October, 2015
was he talking about the cue point buttons rather?
Mr. Goodkat 1:13 AM - 2 October, 2015
sorry i was reading it like a headphone cue. true. but nonetheless its better not to have cue buttons, than have to worry about them breaking.
Luke Annett 1:40 AM - 2 October, 2015
The punch button just punches (brings) that channel into the mix. Similarly, cut cuts that channel. Just a very quick way of bringing signal in without using a fader.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:41 AM - 2 October, 2015
Quote:
sorry i was reading it like a headphone cue. true. but nonetheless its better not to have cue buttons, than have to worry about them breaking.

The poster with MP2015 was talking about the headphone cue button.
Rane 62, 64 has headphone cue buttons.
I have the MP2015 and I am not sure how his is getting jammed... I mean the button is not flush to the faceplate. it actually very tall.
When you press it, it does not sink all the way.
see sample pic
dj.rane.com
Luke Annett 1:43 AM - 2 October, 2015
Yeah, it's not jammed, it just doesn't rise back up after pressing it. It's even very tough to try and pull it back out.
Luke Annett 1:45 AM - 2 October, 2015
So tough you can't even pull it back up... ha
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:50 AM - 2 October, 2015
Quote:
So tough you can't even pull it back up... ha

Bummer man!

MP2015 is classy mixer! give it another chance lol
Reticuli 11:52 AM - 2 August, 2017
Quote:
It's been suggested to me that I get an xone db4... But I've read they've had issues too....

All these companies seem to like limiting our options in their products... Is it that hard to put digital inputs and outputs on your mixers and controllers?!?!?!?

What problems on the DB series? They sound great for 48khz mixers.

The lack of digital ins/outs is clearly feature bracketing for the different tier product lines.