Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DENON DS1

DJ JB-007 2:04 AM - 23 January, 2015
Is the Denon DS1 the new box for SERATO ?
if so, is it exclusively for Denon Products ?

Is rane out of the picture ?

What is the story ?
Ragman 2:25 AM - 23 January, 2015
Is the Denon DS1 the new box for SERATO ? Yes

if so, is it exclusively for Denon Products ? No

Is rane out of the picture ? No (they have a new TTM57MKII coming out)

What is the story ? None so far..
DJ JB-007 2:42 AM - 23 January, 2015
I was refering to the Sound card (Box). Haha
Is Denon going to take over for the interfaces that Rane is or was producing.
(Just curious) The price point on them is very considerable.
Ragman 3:00 AM - 23 January, 2015
Ok yeah that was a little misleading. lol
DJ JB-007 3:01 AM - 23 January, 2015
Is it going to be better than the SL2 Box ?

I just read the specs and I think it is.
DJ JB-007 3:07 AM - 23 January, 2015
Sorry Ragman, just trying to get some info on this. I might be jumping on it. I still have, believe it or not, an SL! box. I was about to get the SL2 until I saw the new hardware category and found Denon's box.

This has me in the middle trying to decide which one to get. Although I still use Scratch Live at times and DO want to use Serato DJ as well.

Maybe wait to see if Rane will lower the price for the SL2 ?

(BTW - thanks for the help. LOL)
FabulousFrequencies 3:10 AM - 23 January, 2015
Denon DS1 DVS System Highlights:

● Premium Digital Vinyl System (DVS) interface for Serato DJ
● Interfaces turntables and CD players using Serato NoiseMap with a Serato DJ-baseddigital music library
● Plug and play with Serato DJ—no purchase necessary
● (2) sets of stereo RCA inputs and outputs for left and right decks
● Studio-grade 24-bit digital to analog conversion
● Supports 44.1kHz, 48kHz, and 96kHz sampling rates
● Dedicated grounding post for use with turntables
● Single USB cable connection to a computer for power and audio
● Includes (2) Serato NoiseMap control tone vinyl records and CDs
● Includes USB and stereo RCA cables
● Rugged, all-metal construction; carrying case included
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:36 AM - 23 January, 2015
I'd say they're pretty much the same except the name.........if I'm wrong please point out the differences.
deejdave 4:09 AM - 23 January, 2015
On the page itself denondj.com

It says Serato DVS Expansion Ready and thus far this has meant the purchase of the expansion must be made. If true this levels out the price a little as the expansion is $99.00

Furthermore the SL2 can be used with both SSL and SDJ while the DS1 may only be used with SDJ. Other than that not much else different.............. unless I missed something else.
Ragman 4:24 AM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:
[...]
Furthermore the SL2 can be used with both SSL and SDJ while the DS1 may only be used with SDJ. [...]

That would kill it for me as I like going back to SSL from time to time.
FabulousFrequencies 4:31 AM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:

It says Serato DVS Expansion Ready and thus far this has meant the purchase of the expansion must be made. If true this levels out the price a little as the expansion is $99.00

Furthermore the SL2 can be used with both SSL and SDJ while the DS1 may only be used with SDJ. Other than that not much else different.............. unless I missed something else.

'Serato DJ Enabled'

serato.com

There is clearly poor wording on Denons site as a Serato badged DVS box would be completely defunct out of the box if you had to purchase the license after the fact.
deejdave 6:46 AM - 23 January, 2015
This is the Akai AMX ALL over again with the "THRU not available" thing. I get that things move fast but this is a pretty big aspect of the device LOL. My guess is it will support DVS out the box being it comes with 2 x Serato Control Vinyl and CDs. Imagine you go to use with the SUPPLIED vinyl and .......... "You must purchase". But I mean correct me if I am wrong here "Serato DVS Expansion Ready" has meant the same thing thus far with every device and it meant purchase necessary.

I said it from day one though these terms are gonna start getting real confusing.

Enabled
Ready
Native
Supported
Upgrade
Expansion
Plugin

uhhhhh? I mean I get it and it is pretty clear to me but I TOTALLY understand how others get things confused.
Quote:
There is clearly poor wording on Denons site

In short I agree THIS ^^^ is what it is as it was in the case of the AMX.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:01 AM - 23 January, 2015
I personally don't use my Rane SL-3 box much these days and i have not used SSL since 1.6sdj came out.

So with the size of this denon unit it would be perfext to have in my back just incase!

I could sell the SL-3 and put some money towards something else and by the Denon!

Also from specs i see posted the denon has higher spec that matches the SL-4 so it also beats the Rane SL-2 there (need to wait till i see more details before proving that) ((also we need to see if the out put is loud or quiet))

Also need to check if the denon is USB power only.
deejdave 9:06 AM - 23 January, 2015
"Come with 2 x Serato Control Vinyl and CDs, alongside all required RCA and USB cables."
serato.com
Would most likely say power supply here if it wasn't USB. If you are speaking of having the option as the SL boxes had without the requirement I would guess it would say it on the face as it labels all other connections

Inputs L / R ............. GND..........Power............ USB etc.

You never know but seems pretty solid.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:12 AM - 23 January, 2015
The SL-2 does NOT come with a power supply you have to buy it seperate. £399 for SL-2 then £45 for the power supply.

You need the power supply if you want to use the SL-2 in thru mode without the usb lead plugged into a laptop.

So be interesting to see if you can do that with the denon. (Have one seen the same pic of unit not seen side on view showing all the connections)
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:13 AM - 23 January, 2015
one = ONLY
deejdave 9:35 AM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:
The SL-2 does NOT come with a power supply you have to buy it seperate. £399 for SL-2 then £45 for the power supply.

Quote:
If you are speaking of having the option as the SL boxes had without the requirement

I hear ya and I tried to stress that but it may have been a bit confusing LOL.

As I said you never know just doesn't look promising is all.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Also this video gets your rear view So weird that this is the ONLY pic, video etc that has exposed the rear LOL
deejdave 9:38 AM - 23 January, 2015
That being said I didn't even think of this. I used the optional power supply with my SL1 even.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:12 AM - 23 January, 2015
Yes so looking at it it's just USB powered. Not external power supply so can only use it with laptop connected.
But this at £229 and a rane SL-2 £399 plus £45 for PSU is Rane worth that much more just to have it powered..... Erm lol
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:12 PM - 23 January, 2015
Just see this

Quote:

There are definitely reasons the Rane SL 2 is the price that it is. One of them is Rane's unique galvanic isolation, which gives these units a super low signal/noise ratio.

So guess the denon you would most likely at some point have ground loop issues.....
FabulousFrequencies 4:40 PM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:
Just see this

Quote:
There are definitely reasons the Rane SL 2 is the price that it is. One of them is Rane's unique galvanic isolation, which gives these units a super low signal/noise ratio.

So guess the denon you would most likely at some point have ground loop issues.....

Please be careful with this. I tried to elude to Sam on the other thread that this is not technically accurate and it's now being quoted. This is how misinformation spreads and we end up worse off as consumers for it. A signal to noise ratio (or s/n) looks like this - signal:noise whereas you want a HIGH signal:noise ratio ideally (more signal, than noise). The RANE units have a HIGH s/n ratio.

I didn't include this is the product announcement post because it didn't feel like the place to open up the technical debate with Serato staff. I think Sam meant well to say something in RANE's defense, it just wasn't the right thing to say. Also, while galvanic noise isolation methods contributes to a better ratio overall, it wasn't a great idea to relate the published method with the devices overall s/n ratio. Many other factors will contribute to overall s/n on a multi-component device. In fact, pretty much every component, including PCB layout and ground plane will contribute to this.

I asked Denon for more published specifications to prevent a mess of speculation. Hopefully we get it.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:42 PM - 23 January, 2015
Cool sounds like you are on the ball. Look foward to finding all the specs out of both the denon and the SL-2
deejdave 4:53 PM - 23 January, 2015
SHIT I already submitted to the New York Times!!!! LOL.

I hear ya and good catch. This is simply one we will simply have to wait to find out is all.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 7:07 AM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:

This is actually incorrect on their end. The Denon DS1 is Serato DJ Enabled. We've hit them up to fix this up.

Sam.
deejdave 7:26 AM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:
This is actually incorrect on their end. The Denon DS1 is Serato DJ Enabled. We've hit them up to fix this up.

I am going to assume you mean DVS ENABLED as well.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 7:28 AM - 24 January, 2015
Yes that's right.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:13 AM - 25 January, 2015
Enabled? Activated? Supported? etc

This confusion came to be with the "purchased plug in" model serato has adopted.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:14 AM - 25 January, 2015
Hey Marv, what's confusing in particular? Can I help out?

Sam.
DJ Ed Wong 2:28 AM - 26 January, 2015
Sam:

Its not clear if you have to BUY the $99 DVS option to use the Denon DS1 as a DVS, or if somehow Serato DJ, when installed, automatically installs the DVS option "for free".
(my guess si you do NOT have to buy the DVS to use the DVS if the DSq is plugged into the USB)

Its confusing as to how this might work if say you ALSO owned another Denon DJ enabled device, say an AMX

If you own both an AMX and the DS1, and do NOT buy the DVS option via purchase, does the DVS not work on the AMX when its plugged in?
Is Serato DJ "reading" the device via the USB and turning DVS on or off depending on what hardware is connected?
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:54 AM - 26 January, 2015
Quote:
Sam:

Its not clear if you have to BUY the $99 DVS option to use the Denon DS1 as a DVS, or if somehow Serato DJ, when installed, automatically installs the DVS option "for free".
(my guess si you do NOT have to buy the DVS to use the DVS if the DSq is plugged into the USB)

Its confusing as to how this might work if say you ALSO owned another Denon DJ enabled device, say an AMX

If you own both an AMX and the DS1, and do NOT buy the DVS option via purchase, does the DVS not work on the AMX when its plugged in?
Is Serato DJ "reading" the device via the USB and turning DVS on or off depending on what hardware is connected?

The Denon DS1 is just like the Rane sound Cards you just plug in and it unlocks Sdj and yes DVS works no expansion licence is needed.

The Akia AMX if you want to use dvs you have to buy the dvs expansion pack.

You can not use the Denon - DS1 and Akia - AMX At the same time. And owning the Denon - DS1 does NOT unlock dvs for your Akia - AMX.

Hope that makes sence and you understand?

Cheers
Airfix Pilot 2:26 PM - 26 January, 2015
I'm another one of those odd ones who's still using an SL1 (and fairly happily, if I'm honest). £229 is almost tempting as an upgrade, real shame if there isn't a power supply input though as it seems from the pictures floating around.

I'm primarily a bedroom DJ at this stage anyway, so I'll probably just buy a bunch more records and carry on with the SL1.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:53 PM - 26 January, 2015
@Sam. Just needed to be clear on what one will be getting with the DS1
LJ clears it up.
Basically what I'm getting is that the Denon gives the same access as SL2 and above.

I sold my SL3 and I might just get this for gigs I don't wanna take my 62 to. Especially clubs and bars where there is a CD + Mixer set up provided. Also needed for outta town gigs.

By the way y'all need to fix that Library not showing up bug real soon.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:15 PM - 26 January, 2015
There was a mistake on the Denon website which mentioned this required a DVS Expansion pack which was false. This is a fully supported Serato DJ Enabled device.

Quote:
By the way y'all need to fix that Library not showing up bug real soon.

We've been working hard on this. The tough thing is it's been very hard to reproduce reliably in-house. We think we've gotten to the bottom of it though and are looking at fixes now. Hopefully in an update soon - it's a high level issue for us.
BigK 10:05 PM - 12 October, 2015
The Denon DS1 SUCKS !!!!! Man its not plug in play like it says you have to configuration your computer to work with this thing and when i did my friend laptop one CD was just going in reverse the hole time and making strange clipping noise i DJ with a lot of people and i rent out my gear and this is not like any Sl boxes or Rane gear when you plug it in and it plays the DS1 feels like a cheap controller and the box takes way longer to boot up than any SL box even my friend SL box boots up 5 seconds The DS1 takes like 4 mins to install with Serato Dj the first time !!!Take my advise go with the sl2 it works a lot better !! I returned mine for a sl2
DJ P Dot 5:00 AM - 13 October, 2015
Quote:
The Denon DS1 SUCKS !!!!! Man its not plug in play like it says you have to configuration your computer to work with this thing and when i did my friend laptop one CD was just going in reverse the hole time and making strange clipping noise i DJ with a lot of people and i rent out my gear and this is not like any Sl boxes or Rane gear when you plug it in and it plays the DS1 feels like a cheap controller and the box takes way longer to boot up than any SL box even my friend SL box boots up 5 seconds The DS1 takes like 4 mins to install with Serato Dj the first time !!!Take my advise go with the sl2 it works a lot better !! I returned mine for a sl2

if you have never used a specific SL box with SDJ before, it can take just as long to install the audio drivers. That's not a DS1 issue, that's how SDJ works with every audio interface.
BigK 6:57 PM - 13 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

if you have never used a specific SL box with SDJ before, it can take just as long to install the audio drivers. That's not a DS1 issue, that's how SDJ works with every audio interface.

Your wrong about that depends on cpu you are running and i have a macbook pro 2015 i7 8 Gd ram and 2tb hard drive and ever system i played on the diver installs in seconds with serato DJ so you are totally wrong about that, and the denon i never EVER had to go to my mini audio setting and confrigue a audio interface to work!!!!! i use my macbook to make music and everything and every sound card i used working in seconds after i plug it in
D.J. Tommy 3:18 PM - 20 March, 2016
Here's my review of the Denon DS-1

I'm a SSL user from 2005 my box is from 09-05 one of the first.
I thought to switch to Serato DJ after 11 years, so i went for the Denon DS-1.
Because of it's small size, and it's normal price, here in The Netherlands €349.
I did a gig and got irritated with the sound when using it.
Every file sounded like a sort of bad encoded file, the transients in the high frequencies are not good, there is not enough definition) even with high quality FLAC and AIFF, WAV to be short Lossless files.
First i thought this could be the Serato DJ audio engine, i was used to SSL.
But after testing at home a/b with my RME Fireface 400 with good quality produced tracks (Funk Soul Hip-Hop Dance) on AIFF WAV and FLAC it became apparent that the problem is with the DS-1 and not the Serato DJ audio engine.
The resolution and transients in the high frequency spectrum are not good on the DS-1, there is not enough definition in the high end spectrum!
And there is no excuse that what you pay for is what you get, high hats etc. sound dull and smutted on it!
I'm a audio DJ Producer & technician by profession and i'm curious what the experience of other users are. As is i am going to return this unit.
Sammoff 4:39 PM - 4 May, 2016
Hi All, I recently bought a DS1 and have a big problem: as opposed to 2 different sets of out puts going into line and phono, it switches in the software. However, on playout, there is a MASSIVE disparity between the 2 signals: vinyl is stupidly quiet next to the line signal, so much so that I can’t use it out, at the top of the night there is no way I could play vinyl next to digital, and I am old school: I really need both formats.

I took it back to the shop and htey refused a refund they said try for any firmware updates on the Denon website, but I can’t find anything. BIG gigs coming up and I’m desperate: do you have any advice?
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:58 PM - 4 May, 2016
when your switching to vinyl are you using the thru mode on the main screen (f4) for left deck, (f9) for right or are you switching the setting in the setup screen?
Sammoff 6:11 PM - 4 May, 2016
Main Screen Sparky
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:51 PM - 4 May, 2016
i had a quick google and haven't heard any reports of extremely low audio on thru mode, you should make a quick video maybe its something obvious,

by the description it sounds like your feeding a phone signal into a line and its not amplifying the sound,

i take it your using turntables and the ds1 is set to phono
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:51 PM - 4 May, 2016
by the description it sounds like your feeding a phono signal into a line and its not amplifying the sound,
Sammoff 10:15 PM - 4 May, 2016
Hi Sparky,
I don't think I'm feeding a phono signal into a line, there's just two inputs and two outs on the card, and I'm definitely going into my line input in the mixer, out of the outs on the card. I was told that there were pre amps in the soundcard that replace the preamps in the mixer (on phono mode).

When you say make a quick video, do you mean video the mixer with the discrpancy and post it on here?

And many thanks for your help!
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:23 PM - 4 May, 2016
yeah you should have the ds-1 box switch set to phono if your using turntables

and feed that into the line in on the mixer,

and in the software setup if the option is there the output should be set to line
Sammoff 8:30 AM - 6 May, 2016
Hi Again Sparky do you know if there is a line output option on Serato DJ, and if so where? I would have thought there would only be a line out option as there is only a line signal involved in the whole chain. I can't see an optional out
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:52 PM - 6 May, 2016
you should make a video so we can see how low the volume is your talking about, could be dodgy pre amps in the ds1
Sammoff 1:16 PM - 9 May, 2016
I tested it against another unit Sparky, same thing. I can't think of any more tests to do on it, but if that is the case, then it's not fit for purpose. Having said that, the dealer I bought it from will not give me a refund, just a credit note, but the only other thing I can buy in his shop is an SL3, at £479 retail.

All I had to do in thsi case was NOTHING. My SL1 was working fine with Serato Scratch Live, but I decided to update to El Capitan and it's been nothing but grief ever since.

DJS: DON'T UPGRADE TO EL CAP UNLESS YOU HAVE CHECKED THE WEBSITE FOR YOUR DIGITAL DEVICE advice FIRST.

Actually, just don't upgrade to El Cap; it's also fucked up my back projection showreels in i Movie, and I tried to open iPhoto today, same thing. Not good.
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:18 PM - 9 May, 2016
Then downgrade the osx to yosemite
Sammoff 5:47 PM - 11 May, 2016
That's what I think I'll do. Not Mavericks then? Does Yosemite work well with SL2? Does Sl2 have any issues with Scratch Live?
DJ Tecniq 6:24 PM - 11 May, 2016
Quote:
That's what I think I'll do. Not Mavericks then? Does Yosemite work well with SL2? Does Sl2 have any issues with Scratch Live?
SL2 works fine with SDJ and Scratchlive with Yosemite or below. El Capitan not yet💯
Sammoff 8:33 AM - 12 May, 2016
Thanks Tecniq
Sammoff 10:52 AM - 6 June, 2016
Hi Tecniq, Sorry to trouble you again, I've rolled back the OS and SL1 is working fine with Serato Scratch Live. Now I want to upgrade to SL2 card at least, so I wanted to find out if this set up works:

SL2 / Serato DJ / Mavericks OS.

Any advice?
Ragman 6:23 PM - 6 June, 2016
^Yes that works as well Sammoff...

But I would upgrade to Yosemite if I were you.
DJ Tecniq 6:29 PM - 6 June, 2016
Cosign. Just don't go near El Capitan. Stick with Yosemite for now till the SL2 is officially supported for EC which has no timeframe.
Sammoff 6:56 PM - 6 June, 2016
HI Ragman thanks for the tip: why Yosemite rather than Mav?
Sammoff 7:09 PM - 6 June, 2016
Just looked and I think it's simply because Yosemite is younger, more recent than Mavericks. However, a tech mate of mine told me that Mavericks is better than Yosemite for sound applications.
Ragman 8:17 PM - 6 June, 2016
Quote:
Just looked and I think it's simply because Yosemite is younger, more recent than Mavericks. However, a tech mate of mine told me that Mavericks is better than Yosemite for sound applications.

Updated drivers for Serato will be more prudent in Yosemite than the older Maverick iOS. But like DJ Tecniq said, stay away from the current El Capitan for now.
Sammoff 9:17 PM - 6 June, 2016
Thanks all
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:28 PM - 8 June, 2016
Scratch Live crashes on exit on my Yosemite using Rane 62.

Maverick might be better if you need SL to work as it should.

I don't know if it's specific to my mixer though. If I power off the Mixer before exiting sometimes Scratch live doesn't crash. But often times I forget that and I just hit the escape button to exit and the crash occurs.

So be wary of that.
Sammoff 11:10 AM - 13 June, 2016
Hi all, sorry to keep on about this but now I am thinking to keep my SL1 for a little while, so does SL1/ Scratch Live work with Mavericks/Yosemite OK?

Thanks Marv. I suspect that might be mixer specific.
DJ Tecniq 11:16 AM - 13 June, 2016
Quote:
Hi all, sorry to keep on about this but now I am thinking to keep my SL1 for a little while, so does SL1/ Scratch Live work with Mavericks/Yosemite OK?

The SL1 is long discontinued I can't confirm if the SL1 works with any OS X however my SL3 is working perfectly fine with Yosemite. The only thing to do is test the SL1?
Ragman 3:07 PM - 13 June, 2016
Quote:

Yes the SL1 works with both iOS.