DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

new ev speaker EKX Line

Joee 9:59 PM - 22 January, 2015
i'm guessing there a cheaper version of the etx line?
www.electrovoice.com
Joee 10:05 PM - 22 January, 2015
a 70lbs 18" & 40lbs 12" in a wood box? i might need to look at these
Joee 4:36 PM - 23 January, 2015
DJ Val-BKNY11203 6:05 PM - 23 January, 2015
Safe to assume it's the LIVE X series with DSP?
Joee 6:10 PM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:

thats a good thing i just hope the 18" sub is better
DJ Val-BKNY11203 6:12 PM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

thats a good thing i just hope the 18" sub is better

I hope it's better. At that size & 72lbs it fits in my trunk.
Joee 6:13 PM - 23 January, 2015
you better put them elx's up for sale
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:10 PM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:
you better put them elx's up for sale

Nah I'm good. They are no louder just have the DSP. Only interested in the sub if it's good.
DJ NoNseNse 5:42 AM - 24 January, 2015
The ekx series is between the elx and etx series so its better and
louder then the elx series.
Mr.Jace 1:44 PM - 24 January, 2015
Ekx12p $799.
Ekx15p $899.
Ekx15sp $899.
Ekx18sp $999.

Sound wise and build quality, they better be a noticeable improvement from the live X line. Lol.
rayjthedj 4:26 PM - 24 January, 2015
The EKX has a stronger cabinet and finish. Updated amp and DSP module, a better driver alignment and exit path, with updated drivers from the ELX line.
Mr.Jace 6:48 PM - 24 January, 2015
If anyone who is at the Namm show 2015 checking out those EV Ekx series on display as we speak and see this forum, please do us all die hard powered speaker EV fans a favor, give us you're thoughts and how they compare to other powered cabs. I'm eyeing on those Ekx12p. Wont hit the market for awhile.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 6:52 PM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:

Not that much of a step up from the ELX to change, especially with the ETX right there.
Mr.Jace 7:17 PM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Not that much of a step up from the ELX to change, especially with the ETX right there.

You're thinking the ekx series is just another elx line up with zlx dsp? Ekx speakers have different drivers, you feel it still might sound the same?
Joee 7:25 PM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:
Ekx speakers have different drivers

than that makes it a different speaker, i only glanced at the specs but they appear to be very similar to els
rayjthedj 7:32 PM - 24 January, 2015
They are updated ELX drivers.
Mr.Jace 7:35 PM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Ekx speakers have different drivers

than that makes it a different speaker, i only glanced at the specs but they appear to be very similar to els

yeah, i see your point. There is a youtube video on this series just been put up for review.
Aden 8:59 PM - 26 January, 2015
I listened to a demo Saturday at NAMM and I thought they sounded good. It's hard to tell in that small sound room how they will handle real world applications. The tops did sound clear at higher volume. The subs sounded decent although they demo'ed them first with 2 tops with one sub under each...then 2 tops with 2 subs under each. Both the 15 & 18 sounded great when all 4 were running but I think 4 of most subs are going sound good in that small room. For the price I think they're going to be a great value.

BTW, they said the ELX is not being discontinued.
Mr.Jace 10:35 PM - 26 January, 2015
Quote:
I listened to a demo Saturday at NAMM and I thought they sounded good. It's hard to tell in that small sound room how they will handle real world applications. The tops did sound clear at higher volume. The subs sounded decent although they demo'ed them first with 2 tops with one sub under each...then 2 tops with 2 subs under each. Both the 15 & 18 sounded great when all 4 were running but I think 4 of most subs are going sound good in that small room. For the price I think they're going to be a great value.

BTW, they said the ELX is not being discontinued.

Nice. Appreciate the info. Do you think the output might be similar to the Elx ? Did you notice a hissing sound coming the Ekx when there was no music?
Mr.Jace 11:22 PM - 26 January, 2015
I'm going to wait til April to make a purchase for powered 12 inch tops. I'm going to test these Ekx when they come out. I'm starting to feel for the price of these EV Ekx, I might end up buying the RCF hd12a.
rayjthedj 11:25 PM - 26 January, 2015
The only reason I bought ETX over several other very good offerings, including a lot of the RCF, was the heavy wood boxes. You pay for the sound quality in weight and cash though.
djbigboy 11:27 PM - 26 January, 2015
I briefly listened to them. It was too hard to tell with all the noise going on. Their whole product line looked pretty clean. It was one of those things where it would be better to hear in a different environment. Maybe listening mid day was a bad idea. They were really pushing them though.
djvtyme85 4:59 PM - 27 January, 2015
all these ekx did was add a much needed fan and more power to the elx series with dsp etc. i position these as ev's answer to the jbl prx series.
DJ Remy USA 6:40 PM - 27 January, 2015
This reminds me of the SBA line they had several years ago this looks really interesting
Mr.Jace 8:52 PM - 27 January, 2015
I will test these once they hit the stores. Elx and now Ekx? I feel the speaker box has improved, no paint chipping. Better dsp. Two things I'm hoping, EV has corrected the hissing issue I've experienced with the elx tops, and the limiting issue with the zlx. If all the issues are cleared up, I might trade my zlx15p for ekx12p. I think they would run well with my kw181. Hopefully.
DJ GaFFle 10:17 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
I will test these once they hit the stores. Elx and now Ekx? I feel the speaker box has improved, no paint chipping. Better dsp. Two things I'm hoping, EV has corrected the hissing issue I've experienced with the elx tops, and the limiting issue with the zlx. If all the issues are cleared up, I might trade my zlx15p for ekx12p. I think they would run well with my kw181. Hopefully.

Beside the paint chipping and thin grills, the ELX's weren't bad... except that ELX118P sub.
Mr.Jace 11:02 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Beside the paint chipping and thin grills, the ELX's weren't bad... except that ELX118P sub.

I agree, Elx sounds good with music, what killed it for me is when I was hired to do a corperate event. Playing music low during dinner, then my pa was used for speech. The whole one hour of talk with back ground of mild white noise hissing away. it looked and sounded unprofessional.
djvtyme85 12:48 PM - 28 January, 2015
my biggest problem with elx was lack of a fan. if u ever use them on a hot day outside they shut off quick
Mr.Jace 1:53 AM - 28 February, 2015
I'm seeing on the web and hearing from my local music store salesman that the new ev ekx line will be release at the end of March. I am planning to buy new subs. I hope these sound good. Generally speaking when it comes to any speaker brand or line, what would sound better, two 15 inch subs coupled or a single 18? Only asking cause I can fit two 15's or one 18 in my car. Not sure which is a better way. Looking for ideas? Thanks.
rayjthedj 4:21 PM - 28 February, 2015
I have four of the EV-ETX15SP subs. For a 15" sub they outperform many 18" subs including the QSC KW181 (which I owned).

Two ETX15SP's paired will outperform a single ETX18SP, I did that comparison at the store before I decided to go with four of the 15SP's over a pair of the 18SP's. It allows me to be more modular, but still get big bass in a gym if I couple all four subs.

The 18SP's will go a few hertz lower, but the 15SP's play down in the 30 hz range at -3 db and for all but a few DJs that will cover all you play, those that need more low end, will be playing with stacks of 18" or 21" subs.
Mr.Jace 8:59 PM - 28 February, 2015
Quote:
I have four of the EV-ETX15SP subs. For a 15" sub they outperform many 18" subs including the QSC KW181 (which I owned).

Two ETX15SP's paired will outperform a single ETX18SP, I did that comparison at the store before I decided to go with four of the 15SP's over a pair of the 18SP's. It allows me to be more modular, but still get big bass in a gym if I couple all four subs.

The 18SP's will go a few hertz lower, but the 15SP's play down in the 30 hz range at -3 db and for all but a few DJs that will cover all you play, those that need more low end, will be playing with stacks of 18" or 21" subs.

Thanks rayjthedj. Yeah I am leaning towards a pair of ekx15sp. I figure that will give me a lot more headroom and better scalable options. I hope these sound good, on paper these subs are light, just under 57 pounds each.
Mr.Jace 9:09 PM - 28 February, 2015
^^57.7 lbs. To be exact
rayjthedj 8:33 PM - 1 March, 2015
I think they are an off shoot of the TX1181 passive 18" subs, with a comparable driver and a little better cabinet design, along with a well matched amp and DSP.

I used eight of the TX1181's for a couple of years, matched with EV-CP4000 amps and a DCONE processor. The system sounded great. It took two of the 18" TX subs to keep up with one of the ETX15SP subs.
Joee 8:55 PM - 1 March, 2015
Quote:
I have four of the EV-ETX15SP subs. For a 15" sub they outperform many 18" subs including the QSC KW181

I've heard this as well…..the 15" was described as "i though that was a 18" thats saying a lot for this little 15" vs the kw181 …..90% of dj's love that 181

if that etx15sp was 70lbs & those etx12p were less than 50lbs , i may still be using ev & not RCF to this day

now these ekx's are looking interesting 70lbs 18" & 56lbs 15" subs
djvtyme85 3:16 AM - 2 March, 2015
i've got my eye on them. right now i own jbl prx tops and would like to stay brand loyal but the ekx gives me more options for my budget. i'd rather buy two ekx 18's instead of two prx 18 subs and save $700
rayjthedj 6:53 PM - 2 March, 2015
The JBL goes a little lower at -3db, has a little more power and is made of thicker plywood, thus it weighs a little more.

I will bet that the ekx will have power supplies and DSP more in line with the ZLX line than the ETX line. You are looking at ETX appearing cabinets, made with thinner, lighter and cheaper materials.
djvtyme85 12:48 AM - 6 March, 2015
Quote:
The JBL goes a little lower at -3db, has a little more power and is made of thicker plywood, thus it weighs a little more.

I will bet that the ekx will have power supplies and DSP more in line with the ZLX line than the ETX line. You are looking at ETX appearing cabinets, made with thinner, lighter and cheaper materials.

i'm aware but these fall in line with my budget and needs
rayjthedj 3:09 PM - 6 March, 2015
There is a guy on another forum that just bought a pair of the EKX 18" subs and he really likes them.
Mr.Jace 5:29 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
There is a guy on another forum that just bought a pair of the EKX 18" subs and he really likes them.

I am calling his bluff. He doesn't have that speaker yet. It hasn't hit the market yet. Not until the final week in March. I've read that forum and I am suspicious of it. He is shy to put a pic up or video. Lol. When it comes out, I'll give my reviews on the ekx line. My local music store is getting ekx12p, ekx15p and ekx18sp for demo.
rayjthedj 9:23 PM - 7 March, 2015
I just called my EV sales REP for Sam Ash Nashville, and they still don't have EKX. Sam Ash sold more EV than any other vendor in the world over the last three years.

He said they were still a few weeks out and as far as he knows, none of the DEMO's went up for sale yet.

So I won't call the poster on the other forum a liar, but after some research, it seems very questionable. The last text I received from my sales rep was his regional EV sales rep wanted to know who said they had the EKX by name and where they got it from, as they have not been released for sale yet :)
Mr.Jace 10:28 PM - 7 March, 2015
Exactly, that's why I'm not buying that forum review. He said ekx18sp is comparable to jbl prx718xlf. My guess, and I am going out on a limb here. The ekx18sp might be more comparable to the qsc kw181. I read common complaints about the kw181 box size was built too small and suffers do to not having enough breathing air to go low. The specs are 95% identical.
Qsc ev
Height 20.5 in. 20 in.
Width 23.5 in. 24 in.
Depth 25.5 in (no caster) 24in
Spl. 135db 134db
Hz range 34-126 35-150
Hz respon. 39-100 40-100
Weight 88lbs. 72lbs.
Watts max 2000 1300
Its too close. I'm only guessing here these ekx 18 will be almost a mirror image of the qsc kw181. The jbl prx 718xlf will go
lower than the two. We'll see once it is released.
DJ Tecniq 1:14 PM - 8 March, 2015
Sweet deal on the EKX subs but no wheels on the EKX subs? That may pose a problem👀
Mr.Jace 2:34 PM - 8 March, 2015
Quote:
Sweet deal on the EKX subs but no wheels on the EKX subs? That may pose a problem👀

The ekx18sp is 16 pounds lighter than the qsc kw181. It's not going to be too bad to move around. Small hand truck/dolly should do the trick. :-)
rayjthedj 5:32 PM - 8 March, 2015
It will be really easy to move. I had the TourX1181 single 18"s at 75 lbs, they were more box like and much harder to move than my ETX. So at 72 lbs, they will be fairly easy.

With that said, I would not hand carry or go up stairs with any of them. I use a cart to the basic location, then back lift them from their.
rayjthedj 5:41 PM - 8 March, 2015
I will say if they are an equal to the TourX 18" single sub in an active package, they will sound really good. Once I got the DSP right, with the EV-DCONE on my TourX rig, the subs really kicked.

The components seem to match up to the TourX passive drivers, which are good, not great like the ETX sub drivers, which come from the EV top of the line concert equipment. The pricing on this new line seems outstanding for how I think it should perform.

I just bought a trailer load of ETX, so I am not in the market to downgrade my equipment, just to shed a little weight, but for the person just starting out, I think this stuff might actually be the QSC-K series killers, that ETX was not due to pricing.

When it comes to tops Yamaha DXR series, already killed the QSC K series tops and will probably still be better than the new EV tops.
will_b_intouch 2:47 PM - 16 March, 2015
I spoke to an EV sales rep today. The ship date for these is April 30. From what he said, they will have enough built to satisfy all pre-order demand and that all units currently on order will ship within 3 to 4 days of April 30th.
Mr.Jace 3:46 PM - 17 March, 2015
Yeah, I just got the phone call on the release date this morning. April 30th. :-\
Limin Li 6:45 AM - 27 March, 2015
I pre ordered two EKX-15SPs Yes the guy at sales department did say that it is going to be on April 30th. Their shipping factory is in South Carolinas so East coast major retailers such as idjnow, proaudiostar, chuck levin washington music center, etc etc will get it 2 days after while agiprodj and pssl etc will get 5 days later.
Limin Li 6:46 AM - 27 March, 2015
In other words perfect timing right before prom!
Limin Li 6:50 AM - 27 March, 2015
Quote:
This reminds me of the SBA line they had several years ago this looks really interesting

By the way, nice setup at federal lounge in adams morgan ;-)
Mr.Jace 3:27 PM - 29 March, 2015
Quote:
I pre ordered two EKX-15SPs Yes the guy at sales department did say that it is going to be on April 30th. Their shipping factory is in South Carolinas so East coast major retailers such as idjnow, proaudiostar, chuck levin washington music center, etc etc will get it 2 days after while agiprodj and pssl etc will get 5 days later.

I am planning to buy those same 15subs. Let me know how they perform in a real live setting once you get them. I'm planning to wait a few months to buy, I want to first hear what others have to say about them. Looking forward to reviews first before buying.
MeDazzA 7:37 PM - 29 March, 2015
Slighty off-topic, but I just posted in a similar discussion about subs. Tested a pair of the ETX 18s against the JBL VRX 18s at the weekend. JBLs were superior. Look at the thread if you're interested in my findings.
Limin Li 6:01 AM - 1 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I am planning to buy those same 15subs. Let me know how they perform in a real live setting once you get them. I'm planning to wait a few months to buy, I want to first hear what others have to say about them. Looking forward to reviews first before buying.
Will do :-)
tanamatz 1:40 AM - 29 April, 2015
I just listened/purchased a pair of the 18" EKX Subs and they're amazing. A HUGE step up from the LiveX's. Not an ETX though. If LiveX is a 5 and ETX's are a 10 i'd give the EKX's an 8 - 8.5. Awesome product.
Joee 2:06 AM - 29 April, 2015
Quote:
I just listened/purchased a pair of the 18" EKX Subs and they're amazing. A HUGE step up from the LiveX's. Not an ETX though. If LiveX is a 5 and ETX's are a 10 i'd give the EKX's an 8 - 8.5. Awesome product.

very cool , that 18" being 70lbs is awesome ……..
JDforKing 2:18 AM - 29 April, 2015
Quote:

Where did you get it?
tanamatz 3:32 AM - 29 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Where did you get it?

I got them from Sam Ash in Cincinnati OH. I'd been interested in them and they called me to tell me they got in today. I'm assuming all the Sam Ash stored should have them now or be getting them very soon.
tanamatz 3:33 AM - 29 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

very cool , that 18" being 70lbs is awesome ……..

Yes they are very light. No wheels though, would stil be a nice addition.
Mr.Jace 5:33 PM - 29 April, 2015
^Were you able to test out the other ekx models such as ev ekx15sp?
tanamatz 7:08 PM - 29 April, 2015
Quote:
^Were you able to test out the other ekx models such as ev ekx15sp?

Unfortunately I was not. If they had them in, they didn't have them in the show room yet
DJ NoNseNse 2:41 AM - 1 May, 2015
Quote:

Are they better then the kw181 sub?
tanamatz 4:47 AM - 1 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I haven't heard the kw181 subs. However before my trip to the local music store a local audio dealer suggested I go with that model. However when I heard/ saw the price of the EKX I wasn't paying much attention to the other brands after that. Would definitely be interesting to compare them, when you do you'll have to let me know what your verdict is
DJ Tecniq 7:42 PM - 1 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I haven't heard the kw181 subs. However before my trip to the local music store a local audio dealer suggested I go with that model. However when I heard/ saw the price of the EKX I wasn't paying much attention to the other brands after that. Would definitely be interesting to compare them, when you do you'll have to let me know what your verdict is
im sure someone will do a comparison on YouTube of the two. I'm really interested in the EKX as a sub.
djvtyme85 4:37 PM - 4 May, 2015
all the ekx has that the etx didn't was fans. for those of us who used the etx outdoors can attest that a fan was a much need upgrade.
Steven Mark 8:18 PM - 4 May, 2015
My EKX 18inch subs and 15 inch mains are being delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to hear how they sound compared to my old school EVs
bboysupafly 1:22 AM - 6 May, 2015
Anyone tested them yet?
Steven Mark 2:32 AM - 6 May, 2015
I will tomorrow! There is a review on youtube form a guy who just got them
odp 10:46 AM - 7 May, 2015
im late on this talk about ekx i got a pair and i love them they hit hard and good for the buck im waiting for 2more lol now my yorkville well thats a nother story lol
DJFree 1:10 PM - 7 May, 2015
Quote:
im late on this talk about ekx i got a pair and i love them they hit hard and good for the buck im waiting for 2more lol now my yorkville well thats a nother story lol

You have the 12 or 15? I just ordered one 12 for Ceremony and Cocktail Hour's. Looks pretty sweet.
odp 6:35 PM - 7 May, 2015
TO DJFree

I HAVE THE EKX18SP

THE 12 IS KOOL IF YOU ONLY JUST DO SMALL
Ceremony and Cocktail Hour's MY FRIEND USE ONLY ITS FOR LIKE 100 PEOPLE YOU SHOULD BE GOOD
DJFree 6:37 PM - 7 May, 2015
Quote:
TO DJFree

I HAVE THE EKX18SP

THE 12 IS KOOL IF YOU ONLY JUST DO SMALL
Ceremony and Cocktail Hour's MY FRIEND USE ONLY ITS FOR LIKE 100 PEOPLE YOU SHOULD BE GOOD

Cool yea that's what I'm looking for.
DJ Ramo 6:30 PM - 13 May, 2015
I just received the 15" Sub, EKX-15SP and so far I love the sound. I have QSC K12s for the tops and plan to purchase an additional EKX 15" Sub for an even top/bottom set.

I'm a mobile DJ so space can be limited in my 2011 Altima Sedan. I test fitted the EKX 15" Subs and they fit perfectly! They can fit in the back seat AND the trunk! I wouldn't be able to do that with an 18" Sub (even though I wanted one, lol)

I haven't tested the sub in a real-word environment, such as an actual gig- but I'll make sure to check back in when I do to provide my thoughts.

Happy DJ'ing Fam!
Joee 6:32 PM - 13 May, 2015
nice, do you have experience with other subs that you could compare the ekx15sp to?
Limin Li 4:56 AM - 20 May, 2015
So I ended up canceled the pre-order and got two ETX-15sp subs instead. Because of release date and I had to play. I had no choice but to get those two subs instead. I am very happy with the ETX subs and they worked really well with my ZLX-12p tops.
DJ Ramo 6:09 AM - 20 May, 2015
I can't say I have the best experience with Subs as I'm fairly new in the subwoofer realm. However, I have mixed with friends who had decent setups.

-Old school tank cerwin-vega 18" subs
-18" Behringer Eurolive B1800D Active Sub
-QSC KW181
-QSC KSUB

I would say the Cerwin-Vegas were ancient billowing beasts with boomy sound. Behringer was rumbly and not clean- but had decent bass. KW181 was the best from what I've experienced with pretty clean, but good punch bass and can take a beating. KSUB had its place in the very small events- mostly to LIGHTLY fill in low end for a nice full range sound. It did it's job but nothing to write home about, couldn't hang with the big boys by far.

The EKX-15SP... man, so far I can dig it. Very clean, low end, punchy bass. Very impressed. The sound also carries a pretty decent distance. I now just received my second sub and can't wait for my upcoming event to run them with my K12 tops. My wedding is approx 130 guests so it'll me more than enough. 200-300? I still think it can hand decently in a good sized room. High school gyms with 400-600+? Definitely not unless you have 4-5 subs coupled together.

Again- I'm no sound engineer or hardcore "db/hz" pro. But damn they sound good! Have yet to push them so we'll see.

Also want to hear the ETX-18SP and even the EKX-18SP just to compare. After seeing these comments, I've also heard the ETX-18SP is a cut above the KW181 due to new DSP technology.

Now that the EKX line has new thermal management with speed controlled cooling fans (huge plus), I would wait until the ETX line is refreshed with this technology as it's bound to get this soon.

Sorry for the long post lol.
Richard Penrose 9:21 AM - 24 May, 2015
I am very keen to hear how the EKX 18SP compares to the ELX118P. I am using a pair of the ELX's and have been quite impressed with them for the price they cost. The only thing I've noticed is that the limiter light can come on pretty soon. I've been using mine along with a pair of DXR15's and I've not seen the DXR's limiter flicker once whilst the ELX's can be flickering regularly!
I feel I could do with something that can offer a little more output to match the DXR's.

The ELX's do actually sound quite musical and not one note type subs and I don't want to lose this as they are being used for live bands. I recently heard the QSC KW181's and they sounded noticeably punchier and louder than my ELX's but didnt feel they offered a big step up in musicality. They sound pretty raw and aggressive. I've also heard great things about the JBL PRX718 XLF's but these are too big to cram into my small van.

So this leaves me with the EKX 18sp's. If these will be a worthwhile step up in output and also offer an even more musical tone then they could be just the ticket. They're also around £400 cheaper than the QSC's and JBL's!
I'd love to hear some more comparisons of the EKX18sp with the ELX118p, JBL PRX718xlf and QSC KW181's!
DJ Lix Va 12:48 AM - 26 May, 2015
I've never heard the EKX's but I saw them the other day and the box is smaller than the ETX so that will reduce the amount of output. They do look nice and the smaller size may be an advantage if size of your transport is critical.
DJ Remy USA 1:50 PM - 29 May, 2015
I wonder how that 15inch EKX sub measures up to their old SBA 760s sub line that was incredible still great subs
DJ GaFFle 2:16 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
I wonder how that 15inch EKX sub measures up to their old SBA 760s sub line that was incredible still great subs

I would think the ETX15SP would be a better / more even comparison. The SBA 760s were no joke.
DJ Diesel - Rochester 2:48 AM - 13 June, 2015
Can anyone who has the new EKX tell me is EV has cured the early limiting issues they have in the ZLX and ELX? I am really leaning towards putting together a system of EKX12P's over EKX15SP's but the limiting has me worried. Would love to hear from those of you that have used them in real world applications. I'm going to look at them again this upcoming week at the InfoComm show in Orlando.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:12 AM - 13 June, 2015
Quote:
Can anyone who has the new EKX tell me is EV has cured the early limiting issues they have in the ZLX and ELX? I am really leaning towards putting together a system of EKX12P's over EKX15SP's but the limiting has me worried. Would love to hear from those of you that have used them in real world applications. I'm going to look at them again this upcoming week at the InfoComm show in Orlando.

ELX does not have any early limiting issues.
Joee 1:54 PM - 13 June, 2015
Quote:
ELX does not have any early limiting issues.

+1
DJ Diesel - Rochester 4:22 PM - 14 June, 2015
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.
djvtyme85 1:59 PM - 18 June, 2015
the biggest issue they addressed was the lack of a fan on the elx series. i haven't used the knew ekx series, but i ran into thermal shut down issues with the elx. which led me to buying jbl prx tops because i do a lot of outside gigs during the summer months.
JDforKing 2:14 PM - 18 June, 2015
Quote:
the biggest issue they addressed was the lack of a fan on the elx series. i haven't used the knew ekx series, but i ran into thermal shut down issues with the elx. which led me to buying jbl prx tops because i do a lot of outside gigs during the summer months.

Were your elx in direct sunlight when you experienced your thermal shut down? I don't think it's smart to run any powered speaker in direct sunlight when its hot outside.
Joee 2:33 PM - 18 June, 2015
Quote:
Were your elx in direct sunlight when you experienced your thermal shut down? I don't think it's smart to run any powered speaker in direct sunlight when its hot outside.

+1

when ever i'm out doors i put the speaker inside a tent/canopy ,not as high in the are as i would like …..but it helps keep them a little cooler
Joee 2:34 PM - 18 June, 2015
are = air
DJFree 2:36 PM - 18 June, 2015
I ran the EKX 12p for Ceremony/Cocktail sound outside Saturday.....100 degrees...shaded area...no tent.....it did fine.
Dj scratchmaster jeff 4:46 PM - 18 June, 2015
Hi guys , I own a pair of EV ZX5,s and i am seriously considering purchasing a pair EKX18s . Would this be a good matchup of the 2 different EV loudspeaker ranges?
Joee 4:49 PM - 18 June, 2015
Quote:
Hi guys , I own a pair of EV ZX5,s and i am seriously considering purchasing a pair EKX18s . Would this be a good matchup of the 2 different EV loudspeaker ranges?

if i was you i would seriously consider the etx18sp sub, zxa5's are no joke you will need a good sub
Joee 4:49 PM - 18 June, 2015
if you don't care about matching brand subs there are some other options
JDforKing 4:50 PM - 18 June, 2015
Quote:

It think he may be talking about the passive version of the speakers
Dj scratchmaster jeff 6:34 PM - 18 June, 2015
Thank you guys for the response. I have a pair of passive Zx5 and want to keep with the same brand as it is a brand i always wanted to own. The More powerful subs in the EV range are out of my budget and i was hoping to compliment my Zx5,s with some EV subs within my budget. I am a mobile Dj and i do gigs most of the time for 100 - 200 people, mostly indoor. Would the Tour X 118 be a better option?
djvtyme85 6:43 PM - 18 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Nope under a tent and not even being pushed (was playing jazz background music at the time). They still intermittely would go out.
Joee 6:43 PM - 18 June, 2015
the etx is basically a powered tour x

if you want ev passive than your options are

www.electrovoice.com

www.electrovoice.com

www.electrovoice.com
Dj scratchmaster jeff 7:15 PM - 18 June, 2015
Thank You Joee.
Mr.Jace 8:04 PM - 18 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope under a tent and not even being pushed (was playing jazz background music at the time). They still intermittely would go out.

Were you using the elx tops or subs? Which was overheating ? Just curious.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 9:10 PM - 18 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've played mine outside pretty much all day at different outdoor parties and never had issue. First I'm hearing of any thermal issues from these.
djvtyme85 9:11 PM - 18 June, 2015
yes elx tops
Mr.Jace 9:25 PM - 18 June, 2015
I've heard about the elx subs thermal in the heat on other forums, but this is a first about the elx tops. Lol, now you got me feeling a little nervous about using my elx112p outdoors, specially where I live in the hot humid south Louisiana heat.
djvtyme85 11:51 AM - 19 June, 2015
avoid direct sunlight and hope for the best
JDforKing 1:02 PM - 20 June, 2015
I used my 2 elx115p outside here in humid Florida for about 4 hours yesterday without any problems.
Jplorenc 3:29 PM - 2 July, 2015
Two DJ's I know with the ELX 18p's say the limit light goes on every event, but no issues other than that. I've purchased two EKX 18sp's because of the fan and extra power. I've run them hard inside and outside with no issues at all. I originally looked at the ETX 18sp, but was put off by the weight. The EKX is no ETX and definitely a major upgrade over the ELX. In my opinion, it can hold it's own versus any mobile setup...QSC KW181 and JBL PRX 718xlf included.
Joee 7:09 PM - 2 July, 2015
under $800
Joee 7:09 PM - 2 July, 2015
or right @ 8
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:15 PM - 2 July, 2015
I'm going to have to go listen to these things myself. I'm sure they are better than the ELX118. I'm just having a problem believing they are as good as the 181.
Joee 7:17 PM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
I'm going to have to go listen to these things myself. I'm sure they are better than the ELX118. I'm just having a problem believing they are as good as the 181.

lol…….i knew that post was going to make you reconsider
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:27 PM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

lol…….i knew that post was going to make you reconsider

It's too easy for anyone to make claims here. We all know that too well. No offense to any of the posters...but I need a more credible opinion.
Jplorenc 7:46 PM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:

I A/B them myself and there's not really a noticeable difference. It was was like splitting hairs to try and find the pros and cons between them. The size was even very similar, so expected comparable results. The QSC was a bit deeper and louder in DEEP mode, but the EKX was tighter and clearer. The deciding factor for me was money. Keep in mind, I was prepared to purchase a pair of $1500 EV ETX 18sp's. A buck is a buck and the EKX worked well enough for me. Without a doubt, there's a noticeable difference between the ETX and EKX. The QSC's at $1399 was $100 cheaper than the ETX, but sounded $400 - $500 less. The EKX at $300 less than the QSC and 16 lbs less sold me. There's definitely not that much of a difference to pay that premium.

It's true, if you have a good ear, gotta check them out yourself. Doubt you will be disappointed.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:49 PM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I A/B them myself and there's not really a noticeable difference. It was was like splitting hairs to try and find the pros and cons between them. The size was even very similar, so expected comparable results. The QSC was a bit deeper and louder in DEEP mode, but the EKX was tighter and clearer. The deciding factor for me was money. Keep in mind, I was prepared to purchase a pair of $1500 EV ETX 18sp's. A buck is a buck and the EKX worked well enough for me. Without a doubt, there's a noticeable difference between the ETX and EKX. The QSC's at $1399 was $100 cheaper than the ETX, but sounded $400 - $500 less. The EKX at $300 less than the QSC and 16 lbs less sold me. There's definitely not that much of a difference to pay that premium.

It's true, if you have a good ear, gotta check them out yourself. Doubt you will be disappointed.

No offense dude...but who are you? I don't recall you on any posts around here. There are cats on this forum that we trust and have proven knowledge. I'll take a listen or wait until I hear from one of our experts.
Jplorenc 8:18 PM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No offense dude...but who are you? I don't recall you on any posts around here. There are cats on this forum that we trust and have proven knowledge. I'll take a listen or wait until I hear from one of our experts.

What?! Ya never heard of me?! I'm the One and Only, the Tower of Power, The Master of...just joking.

No offense taken. I'm new to these forums. Just switched over to Serato DJ because it came with the DDJ SX2 and started doing some research on the forums. It's a good source of info regardless of whether it's correct or not. It creates a starting point for discussion and more research. I thought I'd give my input because not too many people have personal experience with the EKX.

Even the experts on this forum started their first post at one time, regardless of their actual DJ experience. However, unlike most on this post, I own a pair of EV EKX 18sp and demoed them against the QSC KX181 and the JBL PRX718elf.
desmorider 9:40 PM - 2 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

So you paid $1099 for the ekx18sp? Where are you located? If you shop around you can get the etx18sp for just over
desmorider 9:44 PM - 2 July, 2015
$1100 new. $900 refurb. ekx18sp just over $800. Sorry hit enter by accident earlier.
desmorider 9:55 PM - 2 July, 2015
$999 refurb. My badd been at work for 14hrs. @djVal, what you have now ls801p's? You want something smaller/lighter, and only pull the big boys out for large gigs?
Jplorenc 2:44 AM - 3 July, 2015
Paid $799 each for the EKX. I've seen refurbished ETX for $1150 on eBay, but 110lbs is too much for me. I'll save my back with the 72lb EKX.
desmorider 2:59 AM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:
Paid $799 each for the EKX. I've seen refurbished ETX for $1150 on eBay, but 110lbs is too much for me. I'll save my back with the 72lb EKX.

cool. was just hoping you didn't get taken for a ride. enjoy and keep updated on how they holdup.
pdidy 3:09 AM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:
Even the experts on this forum started their first post at one time, regardless of their actual DJ experience. However, unlike most on this post, I own a pair of EV EKX 18sp and demoed them against the QSC KX181 and the JBL PRX718elf.

Video or it didn't happen :)
DJ-M ON THE 1s & 2s 11:52 AM - 26 July, 2015
I've been needing to upgrade my speakers for a while so I've been searching for a new setup. The usual suspects were looked at (JBL & QSC) but I fell in love with the EKX series because of the sound quality, price point and compactability. Although the JBL XLF718 sounded the best overall, its the largest. The QSC sounded great as well but I picked the EKX. I feel that the EKX series is an improvement (by adding a fan) on the ETX. You lose power and the caster but you also lose weight as well as save money. The Guitar Center sales associate demo the 18sp with the 15p and both sounded great. He had the 18sp on the floor next to a QSCKW181. I mentioned this because both were similar in size. I think the 18sp is slightly smaller. One more point I want to mention about the ETX. They had 2 ETX15P left in the entire store as demos for $899. He was willing to give them away much cheaper. I never discussed price because I was sold on the EKXs. I've read numerous reviews stating that the ETXs overheat and are mainly good for indoors. I will be going to GC to try and work out a deal today.
pdidy 2:26 PM - 26 July, 2015
Quote:
I've been needing to upgrade my speakers for a while so I've been searching for a new setup. The usual suspects were looked at (JBL & QSC) but I fell in love with the EKX series because of the sound quality, price point and compactability. Although the JBL XLF718 sounded the best overall, its the largest. The QSC sounded great as well but I picked the EKX. I feel that the EKX series is an improvement (by adding a fan) on the ETX. You lose power and the caster but you also lose weight as well as save money. The Guitar Center sales associate demo the 18sp with the 15p and both sounded great. He had the 18sp on the floor next to a QSCKW181. I mentioned this because both were similar in size. I think the 18sp is slightly smaller. One more point I want to mention about the ETX. They had 2 ETX15P left in the entire store as demos for $899. He was willing to give them away much cheaper. I never discussed price because I was sold on the EKXs. I've read numerous reviews stating that the ETXs overheat and are mainly good for indoors. I will be going to GC to try and work out a deal today.

Please post the links to all these negative etx reviews so we can determine if they are reliable sources.
Joee 2:30 PM - 26 July, 2015
negative review of etx? thats a first……i remember the zlx have some manufacturing issues when the first cam out, don't know of any problems with the etx
djvtyme85 5:18 PM - 26 July, 2015
i never have had issues with the etx over heating.
DJ-M ON THE 1s & 2s 4:08 AM - 28 July, 2015
UPDATE:
Joee and djvtyme85, I did'nt want to give the impression that there are a lot of negative reviews on the ETX. I only remember reading three reviews that mentioned overheating about the ETX versus the many numerous positive reviews. However, if the ETX doesn't have a built-in fan and the EKX (as well as other speakers like QSC and JBL) has one, then the designers must felt that the speaker needs it. I could not find the review that stated that he used his outside and his speakers were over heating. I did find this one though (see bottom of post). I bought the EKX 15P yesterday and used it for a Sunday gig. It sounded great. I was impressed because I was using a Pioneer DDJ-SB. I connected using rca and it sounded great. I will get the subwoofer Thursday.

www.amazon.com
pdidy 5:43 AM - 28 July, 2015
@ DJ-M ON THE 1s & 2s
Please post the links to all these negative etx reviews so we can determine if they are reliable sources.
Quote:
However, if the ETX doesn't have a built-in fan and the EKX (as well as other speakers like QSC and JBL) has one, then the designers must felt that the speaker needs it.

Wrong, its not a question of does a speaker NEED a fan.

The speaker designer has the option of 2 cooling technologies be it fan cooling or convection cooling. Both technologies are proven to work.

Quote:
I could not find the review that stated that he used his outside and his speakers were over heating.

Without more detail we can not determine if the alleged failure was the result of user error due to direct sunlight (Which it likely was) or a manufacture defect.

Quote:
I did find this one though (see bottom of post).

FYI, NEVER trust reviews from sites that sell gear because.....
1. the users professional experience and history can not be verified.
2. Companies write fake positive review of their own products.
3. Companies write fake negative reviews of their competition.
4. Its the internet so PEOPLE LIE for no reason.
DJ-M ON THE 1s & 2s 9:41 PM - 28 July, 2015
Bro or Sis if you’re a female,

Pdidy, I ignored your first posting on purpose. I thought to myself: Did Serato hire a toy cop to patrol the discussion forums? I haven’t been asked for documentation about my opinion since I was writing research papers in my Ph.D. program. Then I decided, let’s see what this person is about. I read some of your postings and my first thought about you was correct. You are a Discussion toy cop patroller. Pdidy, I’m going to ask you some “common sense” questions. Why did the engineers add a fan to the EV EKX series? Why do most of the power speakers being made today have fans?

JBL PRX600 Series NO FAN : JBL PRX700 Series FAN : JBL SRX800 Series FAN
QSC HPR Series NO FAN : QSC KW Series FAN
EV ETX Series NO FAN : EV EKX Series FAN

Notice the pattern.

Hell, why does practically any power amplifier have fan(s)? It’s because the engineers feel a need to have a fan.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. EV, like any company in business, tries to improve their product. It’s not because they want to; it’s because they have too or their customers go to competitor. I think it is possible that an ETX speaker over heated regardless of what made it over heated.

This is a Discussion forum. We discuss….No one lectures in here. This isn’t an online school. This discussion forum is a place for giving and getting information. Everyone provides their opinion and listen to others, then we decipher the what is accurate and what is B.S. Two others (Joee & djvtyme85) offer their opinions about my posting and I respect and thank them for that. They may or may not have taken mine into consideration but that is entirely up to them.

I also disagree with you about trusting postings from retailers’ websites (except for Sam Ashe). I’ve posted reviews (like many others in this forum) on some of these websites myself. I’ve also read postings from other DJs and sound engineers I know personally. So, some of the postings can be valid. So get it together Bro (or Sis).
Joee 10:15 PM - 28 July, 2015
Quote:
I haven’t been asked for documentation about my opinion since I was writing research papers in my Ph.D. program.

i have a question, are you now a PHD?

doctor by day ph dj by night?
pdidy 11:33 PM - 28 July, 2015
@ DJ-M ON THE 1s & 2s, CLEARLY you are feeling defensive because I challenged many of your statements. Well let me be the first to inform you that you are on the wrong forum if you can not intelligently defend or debate your position. As an alleged phd, you should be accustomed to these sorts of things and know how to conduct yourself accordingly.

The most important thing you fail to understand is that when misinformation is spread it need to be destroyed (debated) by the knowledgeable so the inexperience user does not accept it as fact and repeat it....

As a phd you should also know that by calling something an "OPINION" does not protect it form being completely false or complete bullshit. e.g. "in my opinion the world is flat and if you go to far you will fall off"....... See what i did right there ?

Ok, so I called you out on some of your bullshit (that you would like to protect by calling it opinion).......what are you going to do about it ?

You can either wine an bitch about it or man up (woman up) and intelligently defend your position. Don't take it personal because I don't.
pdidy 11:39 PM - 28 July, 2015
Quote:
Pdidy, I’m going to ask you some “common sense” questions. Why did the engineers add a fan to the EV EKX series? Why do most of the power speakers being made today have fans?

JBL PRX600 Series NO FAN : JBL PRX700 Series FAN : JBL SRX800 Series FAN
QSC HPR Series NO FAN : QSC KW Series FAN
EV ETX Series NO FAN : EV EKX Series FAN

Notice the pattern.

I think your theory would be much more entertaining so please proceed.
Al Poulin 12:08 AM - 29 July, 2015
Sorry to inform you, but there is no pattern. For example, Yamaha's entry level lines are fan cooled, while their higher end DSRs have heatsinks instead. I've never read of any DSR failures. Yorkville has been producing some of the most bullet proof active speakers for years (NX, elite, Parasource) that all use simple convection cooling. They do however also make sure that their amplifier desings produce as little heat as possible in the first place - and disapate resulting heat properly. JBL wasn't so clever with their PRX 6 series - which could fry an egg while at idle - and had multiple failures - why they likely chose to play it safe and add the fan for the 7. I've been using my RCFs for years without a hiccup and they also have no fan. Both fan and concection cooling work if properly implemented IMO.

Al
pdidy 12:34 AM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:
Sorry to inform you, but there is no pattern. For example, Yamaha's entry level lines are fan cooled, while their higher end DSRs have heatsinks instead. I've never read of any DSR failures. Yorkville has been producing some of the most bullet proof active speakers for years (NX, elite, Parasource) that all use simple convection cooling. They do however also make sure that their amplifier desings produce as little heat as possible in the first place - and disapate resulting heat properly. JBL wasn't so clever with their PRX 6 series - which could fry an egg while at idle - and had multiple failures - why they likely chose to play it safe and add the fan for the 7. I've been using my RCFs for years without a hiccup and they also have no fan. Both fan and concection cooling work if properly implemented IMO.

Al

All valid points and im in 100% agreement but keeping an open mind and patiently waiting for us to be "Schooled" by the ph.d :)
Arjun B 1:45 AM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:
@Al good point. I trust convection cooling rather than active cooling because a heatsink can't die, while a fan can.

My ZLX15p's get hot, but never die on me. I even used them as a monitors for an outdoor show, sitting directly under the sunlight and they didn't have any problems running, although you could smell burning plastic at one-point, after which I put them under shade. They have no fan either.

Putting a fan in or not could be a marketing scheme too, it may appeal to some people (DJ-M for example) into thinking it has better cooling than natural convection. It may also be necessary.

As @Al said,
Quote:
Yorkville has been producing some of the most bullet proof active speakers for years (NX, elite, Parasource) that all use simple convection cooling. They do however also make sure that their amplifier desings produce as little heat as possible in the first place - and disapate resulting heat properly.

I own alot of yorkville gear myself, and can back this up. The EKX line is a step lower than the ETX, meaning that they won't put the same components in the EKX that they do in the ETX. Maybe the amplifier in the EKX isn't as efficient as the ETX amp and produces more heat, which would mean it needs a fan. A cheaper speaker will have lower-grade components, and the amp is a large component of a powered speaker...

Just my 2 cents.
pdidy 3:36 AM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:

The EKX line is a step lower than the ETX, meaning that they won't put the same components in the EKX that they do in the ETX. Maybe the amplifier in the EKX isn't as efficient as the ETX amp and produces more heat, which would mean it needs a fan. A cheaper speaker will have lower-grade components, and the amp is a large component of a powered speaker...

i.imgur.com
Arjun B 3:42 AM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:

i.imgur.com

Ahahahaha sometimes you gotta state the obvious
pdidy 3:47 AM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
i.imgur.com

Ahahahaha sometimes you gotta state the obvious

I was trying to hold on to that tid-dit of info but clearly you and Al Poulin were already aware of the deeper explanation.
Sound-Simon 10:50 AM - 29 July, 2015
In terms of DJ Speakers I can't recommend the dB technologies cromo series highly enough. They provide you with great portable DJ speakers for small to medium size parties or as a both monitor in club. You can also run these speakers at home on a low volume level. So these speakers really do provide you with a range of solutions and a low price with ease of transport.

Also they are active so you won't need an amp, just plug your DJ mixer direct into the speakers.

Check out the speakers at soundbasemegastore.com/pa-live-sound/pa-speakers/active-pa-speakers/
Joee 10:52 AM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:
In terms of DJ Speakers I can't recommend the dB technologies cromo series highly enough.

ahhhh another rcf product

;)
dj_soo 11:51 AM - 29 July, 2015
Joee is so enamoured by the rcf love that he doesn't notice the blatant store spam.
DJ GaFFle 12:05 PM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
In terms of DJ Speakers I can't recommend the dB technologies cromo series highly enough.

ahhhh another rcf product

;)

Aren't the dB Technologies arm of RCF made in China?
Joee 12:06 PM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:
Joee is so enamoured by the rcf love that he doesn't notice the blatant store spam.

lol

Quote:
Check out the speakers at soundbasemegastore.com/pa-live-sound/pa-speakers/active-pa-speakers/[/
quote]
your right i didn't notice that….lol ,those speakers are pretty ugly tho
Joee 12:06 PM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:
Check out the speakers at soundbasemegastore.com/pa-live-sound/pa-speakers/active-pa-speakers/[/
quote]
Joee 12:07 PM - 29 July, 2015
damnit

Quote:
quote]

there fixed
DJ Eighty 8 12:44 PM - 29 July, 2015
I actually own (2) ETX-35P (2) ETX-12P and (4) ETX-18SP. I've had each system in less than ideal weather conditions including rain on the 4th of July.....and NOTHING has failed me yet. I'm a BIG fan of convection cooling vs fan. Fans serve their purpose in certain applications and situations but they are not law.
djvtyme85 12:25 AM - 30 July, 2015
do you mean ELX? when you said ETX i was confused because they do in fact have a fan.
player1 9:55 AM - 30 July, 2015
Ran 2 of my new EKX 15p`s over the wknd. First in the club, then outdoors . Very happy with results. They super clean and loud. I fired them up previously at home and they shook the picture frames off the walls :>! Will keep ya`s updated as i break em in but am happy with this purchase. Ordering 2 x ekx 18 subs very soon, got good feeling bout this rig .:)) chrs for all your info guys. I am new to the forum so g`day ya`ll . rock steady !!
Mr.Jace 3:39 PM - 30 July, 2015
@player 1 yeah keep us posted once you get you're new ekx18sp and using them for shows.
DJAndrewYates 9:29 PM - 6 August, 2015
Been reading these forums for close to a year now, figured I'd finally chime in. DJ/Audio/Lighting nerd since 2001, if you want or need more background (I know you guys don't trust the new posters lol) I'd be happy to share.

I bought the EKX18-SP in early June, choosing it over the Yorkville LS801P and ETX18-SP simply due to size restrictions. Also chose it over the KW-181 due to weight, solo gigs and prior back issues making the 88lbs a lot tougher than 72lb. I really like it, not a perfect sub, but a very good offering in the $999 range; at least thus far in two months of use.

The LS801P, ETX and KW-181 are better, but it's a very good sounding sub for being 72lb in a compact box, (basically the same size box as the KW-181 - except it's not birch plywood like the QSC). Will likely get a second one soon.

I made a YouTube review of the EKX18 because I didn't really see any good ones.

youtu.be
Joee 9:42 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Been reading these forums for close to a year now, figured I'd finally chime in. DJ/Audio/Lighting nerd since 2001, if you want or need more background (I know you guys don't trust the new posters lol) I'd be happy to share.

I bought the EKX18-SP in early June, choosing it over the Yorkville LS801P and ETX18-SP simply due to size restrictions. Also chose it over the KW-181 due to weight, solo gigs and prior back issues making the 88lbs a lot tougher than 72lb. I really like it, not a perfect sub, but a very good offering in the $999 range; at least thus far in two months of use.

The LS801P, ETX and KW-181 are better, but it's a very good sounding sub for being 72lb in a compact box, (basically the same size box as the KW-181 - except it's not birch plywood like the QSC). Will likely get a second one soon.

youtu.be

nice review, you had it next to the zxa1 sub that thing looks tinny for a 18"
pdidy 10:00 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
(I know you guys don't trust the new posters lol)

guilty as charged. lol
DJAndrewYates 10:05 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

nice review, you had it next to the zxa1 sub that thing looks tinny for a 18"

Basically the same size as a KW-181 except the 181 is 26 in deep (not including casters casters) as opposed to 24. Height and width is nearly identical. Very compact 18" box, which does have it's limitations, but I still think sounds pretty good lol.
pdidy 10:15 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:

youtu.be

very nice and informative unbiased review.
SeanStephens 1:25 PM - 13 August, 2015
I just ran some tests on the ekx series as I just bought two 15p and one 18sp, hit a max spl of 132 with the volume knob at 2 o'clock. They sound beautiful highly recommend
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:47 PM - 13 August, 2015
This is great.
pdidy 10:43 PM - 13 August, 2015
Quote:
I just ran some tests on the ekx series as I just bought two 15p and one 18sp, hit a max spl of 132 with the volume knob at 2 o'clock. They sound beautiful highly recommend

could you please explain how you measured the spl and what tools were used ? thanks.
JDforKing 11:17 PM - 13 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

could you please explain how you measured the spl and what tools were used ? thanks.

I was waiting for someone to say something lol
pdidy 11:51 PM - 13 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was waiting for someone to say something lol

i.imgur.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:53 PM - 13 August, 2015
Pdidy be sharpshooting.
Mr.Jace 11:59 PM - 13 August, 2015
It's all digital display, 2 o'clock how? Or do you mean +2db? I'm curious too.
pdidy 12:05 AM - 14 August, 2015
Quote:
It's all digital display, 2 o'clock how?

shuuush, dont say nothin you gonna spoil it....lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:51 AM - 14 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
It's all digital display, 2 o'clock how?

shuuush, dont say nothin you gonna spoil it....lol

Snipin'
player1 12:55 AM - 19 August, 2015
recken a 3rd EKX 18sp Sub for middle of a stage between the stereo would be cool ?? so 2 x 15p & 18sp set up either side of the decks.(stereo). And say a 3rd 18sp in the middle in front or below the dj console ? should fill the middle of floor with bit more bottom end i would like 2 believe. ? >
DJ Guayo 1:30 AM - 19 August, 2015
Check this here. It will play to all subwoofers.

www.electrovoice.com
DJ Guayo 1:30 AM - 19 August, 2015
^subwoofer placement
odp 3:29 AM - 19 August, 2015
Quote:
Anyone know the best price for an EKX18sp?

american music supply.com the best for me
dj_soo 6:48 AM - 19 August, 2015
Quote:
recken a 3rd EKX 18sp Sub for middle of a stage between the stereo would be cool ?? so 2 x 15p & 18sp set up either side of the decks.(stereo). And say a 3rd 18sp in the middle in front or below the dj console ? should fill the middle of floor with bit more bottom end i would like 2 believe. ? >

you're better off placing all three subs together than splitting up all three.
ShoMeMusic 7:49 PM - 25 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

you're better off placing all three subs together than splitting up all three.

I have not as yet used these EKX subs but have always found center clustering to be my preferred setup. I used to have 4 Yorkville LS800P's center clustered and the sound was amazing - better than if I put them with the TX4's on top. I must admit, though, to me the sub/pole on top pair looks better; but sound always, to me, trumps looks.

Yes, I am new on these forums, but have lurked for years.
I am posting in this topic as I am seriously considering a pair of the EKX12P's with 3 of the15SP subs center clustered; this is for sound reinforcement rental and dance/music/dj gigs - use 1,2, or 3 subs as appropriate. I have not as yet heard either of these.

I have had a difficult time deciding between these and the Yorkville PS12P's with 3 PS15S subs (or one LS801P). I am a dealer for both so pricing is a consideration but not as much a consideration as sound quality & quantity with a bit of weight consideration.

Can someone who has used/heard both the PS12P's and the EKX12P's say their opinion of the sound differences? It certainly appears that the tech is better in the EV's but newer tech does not always translate into better sound.

Writing this - I believe I have almost talked myself into the EKX's.
dj_soo 11:06 PM - 25 August, 2015
I would think the yorkvilles are a step up from the ekx.

The etx speakers would be more in line with the psps
Arjun B 3:57 AM - 26 August, 2015
Yeah the PS12p's are quite the thing. They get really loud but sound good even at high volumes. I agree with @dj_soo, they're probably better if compared with the ETX's. I personally think the NX series or a few items from the Elite series would be comparable to the EKX series sound wise.
Jcovita3034 7:06 PM - 27 October, 2015
I just received my EKX 18sp sub 2days ago, breaking in the cone and just hearing it in a low level, has a warm soothing clean tone i been looking for already. Im a drummer and do PA for my band, very light not hard on the back. And i did some heavy research on these subs, compared specs with all the other competitors out there esp the QSC. If ure looking for something close to, or maybe better than thr QSC ? I recommend the EKX 18sp
skss221 10:58 PM - 2 November, 2015
Would be very much interested in hearing anybody else's experience with the EKX tops now it's been available for a while? Better than the ELX? How does it stand up against competition at this price and speaker size range?
Jeff_K 4:46 PM - 15 November, 2015
Just got one EKX-18SP (the other will be in next week). I'm coming from the ELX118P's and immediately, even using just 1 sub for two live sound shows I've noticed an improvement over the ELX's. I didn't *need* to get new subs, but my ELX's were starting to look beat up, and I got an amazing deal on the pair of EKX's, with covers, so I went ahead with it.

So, one thing I've failed to see in any documentation or haven't found in any discussions is the hookup. The ELX's have a single in/out channel, while the EKX's have 2. The first night I ran the sub, I hooked it up like I do for my ELX, single channel in. It sounded great, but was missing that "wow factor" (at least for me).

The second night I had a little more setup time, so I looked at the back with a little more detail, and while I was running a sound check I noticed that while using a single input, only one of the channel input meters was showing an input signal. So I thought, why not link the out from channel 1 into the input to channel 2, on the same sub? As soon as I did that - BOOM! This sub came to life and did in fact blow me away!

So I'm wondering if this is a supported configuration? Like I said I haven't seen that in writing anywhere. I checked the sub's menu and didn't see any "mono" setting, so I'm guessing for the best performance I'll need two extra XLR cables to link the input to the second channel on each sub.

Anyone else try this or have any thought on it? Thanks!

-Jeff
DJ 3XOTIC 5:26 PM - 15 November, 2015
I wonder how the ekx18sp would compare to the new rcf708as , and also how the ekx12p compared to the rcf art312mk3?
Joee 6:00 PM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
Just got one EKX-18SP (the other will be in next week). I'm coming from the ELX118P's and immediately, even using just 1 sub for two live sound shows I've noticed an improvement over the ELX's. I didn't *need* to get new subs, but my ELX's were starting to look beat up, and I got an amazing deal on the pair of EKX's, with covers, so I went ahead with it.

So, one thing I've failed to see in any documentation or haven't found in any discussions is the hookup. The ELX's have a single in/out channel, while the EKX's have 2. The first night I ran the sub, I hooked it up like I do for my ELX, single channel in. It sounded great, but was missing that "wow factor" (at least for me).

The second night I had a little more setup time, so I looked at the back with a little more detail, and while I was running a sound check I noticed that while using a single input, only one of the channel input meters was showing an input signal. So I thought, why not link the out from channel 1 into the input to channel 2, on the same sub? As soon as I did that - BOOM! This sub came to life and did in fact blow me away!

So I'm wondering if this is a supported configuration? Like I said I haven't seen that in writing anywhere. I checked the sub's menu and didn't see any "mono" setting, so I'm guessing for the best performance I'll need two extra XLR cables to link the input to the second channel on each sub.

-Jeff

why don't you just input both left & right channel into one sub? than use the two outputs to go the the other sub
Jeff_K 6:29 PM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

-Jeff

why don't you just input both left & right channel into one sub? than use the two outputs to go the the other sub

A good question. The reason I don't do that is because I run my subs in mono. A single sub output from my crossover is how I feed them signal. I don't run powered tops so there's no option to get signal that way.
taskman 12:04 AM - 27 December, 2015
Hi Jeff,

I am not too into this stuff as yet, but planning to get some equipment.

I did not quite fully understand the setup you discovered. Do you mind a pic or a providing a bit more detail?

Are you using powered speakers for your top-end?
Do you take your audio source via the loudspeakers?
Can audio be fed through the subwoofer?
How are you able to connect those extra XLR cables?

Thanks.
odp 4:26 AM - 2 February, 2016
i have them for a year now and they still hitting hard just send for 2 more and i use them 3 to 4x a week from 4hr to 8hr AT A TIME i love them the EKX THAT IS AND WOOD BOX WILL ALL WAYS SOUND BETTER THE PLASTIC JUNK THAT JUST ME
odp 4:31 AM - 2 February, 2016
Quote:
i have them for a year now and they still hitting hard just send for 2 more and i use them 3 to 4x a week from 4hr to 8hr AT A TIME i love them the EKX THAT IS AND WOOD BOX WILL ALL WAYS SOUND BETTER THE PLASTIC JUNK THAT JUST ME

AND JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT IT DONT MATTER WHAT YOU USE IF ITS NAMED OR NOT ITS HOW YOU USE IT AND 90% OF THE TIME PEOPLE DONT KNOW THE SOUNDS
LIKE WE DO YOU KNOW - SOUND GUYS / DJ,
AS LONG THEY HEAR THE WORDS TO THERE SONGS AND ITS CLEAR THEY DONT CARE LOL
pdidy 4:48 AM - 2 February, 2016
Quote:
i love them the EKX THAT IS AND WOOD BOX WILL ALL WAYS SOUND BETTER THE PLASTIC JUNK THAT JUST ME

Not true in 2016 nor has it been for many years.

Just because a statement is labeled as an opinion, It does not change the fact that its absolutely false.

But it is a free world and forum so you are allowed to believe in any old, outdated and inaccurate information you so choose.
odp 6:03 AM - 2 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
i love them the EKX THAT IS AND WOOD BOX WILL ALL WAYS SOUND BETTER THE PLASTIC JUNK THAT JUST ME

Not true in 2016 nor has it been for many years.

Just because a statement is labeled as an opinion, It does not change the fact that its absolutely false.

But it is a free world and forum so you are allowed to believe in any old, outdated and inaccurate information you so choose.

Lol that's right it's my world and I live in it they don't make good thing anymore if you want to take it there. And that's real you young guys don't know nothing if that was the case they would of been doing plastic speakers in the 60s and 70s. And that's for gigs not home use dummmmm assssssssssss
pdidy 11:41 AM - 2 February, 2016
"There's no fool like an old fool"........ The most extreme fools are people whose age should have made them wise. But it doesn't have to be that way, you can choose to be different today and learn something.

Quote:
And that's real you young guys don't know nothing if that was the case they would of been doing plastic speakers in the 60s and 70s.

Cost, perception, ignorance and marketing is the short answer..... I could explain it if you're interested in learning today ?
odp 1:36 PM - 2 February, 2016
Quote:
"There's no fool like an old fool"........ The most extreme fools are people whose age should have made them wise. But it doesn't have to be that way, you can choose to be different today and learn something.

Quote:
And that's real you young guys don't know nothing if that was the case they would of been doing plastic speakers in the 60s and 70s.

Cost, perception, ignorance and marketing is the short answer..... I could explain it if you're interested in learning today ?

LOL SURE OK GO
pdidy 10:27 PM - 3 February, 2016
Instead of me providing you with facts that you will likely debate or dismiss due to "old thinking" and myths you've believed in since forever, I think its best to provide you documentation from an accredited speaker design engineer who is more qualified on the topic than 99% of everybody including you or I. Judging form you previous comments I think its safe to assume YOU are no speaker design engineer lol.

There was a discussion on a forum which debated this topic, please pay close attention to comments made by Bill Fitzmaurice (google him if you dont know who he is) www.avsforum.com

Now unless you can provide documentation form an accredited source I think we can just label your Plastic vs Wood speaker comments as "Old Myths" which have been regurgitated and passed off as fact for many years.

But its 2016 now, time to leave those "old sound guy" myths in the past or for camp fire story's lol.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:53 PM - 6 February, 2016
Quote:
I could explain it if you're interested in learning today ?

Uh..oh...
DJ Remy USA 1:02 AM - 7 February, 2016
Quote:
Instead of me providing you with facts that you will likely debate or dismiss due to "old thinking" and myths you've believed in since forever, I think its best to provide you documentation from an accredited speaker design engineer who is more qualified on the topic than 99% of everybody including you or I. Judging form you previous comments I think its safe to assume YOU are no speaker design engineer lol.

There was a discussion on a forum which debated this topic, please pay close attention to comments made by Bill Fitzmaurice (google him if you dont know who he is) www.avsforum.com

Now unless you can provide documentation form an accredited source I think we can just label your Plastic vs Wood speaker comments as "Old Myths" which have been regurgitated and passed off as fact for many years.

But its 2016 now, time to leave those "old sound guy" myths in the past or for camp fire story's lol.

you should be a lawyer my God
desmorider 4:44 AM - 7 February, 2016
ODP,

Where you at Bruh? Why so quiet?
pdidy 9:52 PM - 7 February, 2016
Quote:
ODP,

I would guess he would be thinking of a new user name ?
odp 10:55 PM - 9 February, 2016
never that better things to do get money
odp 11:04 PM - 9 February, 2016
LOL !!!!!!!!!
pdidy 12:39 AM - 10 February, 2016
Quote:
never that better things to do get money

When all fails just pretend to be crazy and say irrelevant things while hoping everyone forgets what just happened....lol
Joee 1:05 AM - 10 February, 2016
opd kinda acts like ODB just saying
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:53 AM - 10 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
ODP,

I would guess he would be thinking of a new user name ?

Dag, y'all found him again?

smh...
ElementalLighting 8:54 PM - 15 June, 2016
Hi, I'm new here but this looks like the most credible/active forum regarding the EKX Subs. So I have a ZLX12p and have been looking at the EKX-15SP to go with it, however I was pointed towards the Behringer b1800hp which specs wise looks better and I can get it for the same price ($999CAD). Which would you guys recommend?

Also how would the EKX-15SP compare to the Alto TSSUB15 which has very similar specs?
Thanks!
DJ Diesel - Rochester 9:01 PM - 15 June, 2016
The EV EKX15sp are what you want. More portable than the Behringer and much better quality than the Alto. In my opinion it's no comparison. I also own a set of ZLX12p but my large system is EKX12p over EKX15sp and the system is the loudest, best sounding, most portable system you'll buy. Do yourself a favor and get the covers though. Finish is tough but they are wood so they can scratch.
Joee 9:08 PM - 15 June, 2016
Quote:
The EV EKX15sp are what you want. More portable than the Behringer and much better quality than the Alto. In my opinion it's no comparison.

+1
djvtyme85 7:34 PM - 18 June, 2016
+1 on the EKX they are the best match for your tops and they can be had for a great price too
ElementalLighting 8:11 PM - 23 June, 2016
Sweet! I'm getting the EKX-15SP tomorrow. hopefully it performs up to the quality of the ZLX. Thanks everyone!
djvtyme85 5:20 PM - 28 June, 2016
its gonna surpass the zlx
ElementalLighting 5:23 PM - 28 June, 2016
So far the ZLX12P is kicking the subs but. It starts limiting quite early on the standard setting(ZLX12P low-pass). I changed them both to 100Hz crossover as I was not feeling the bass.
djvtyme85 5:59 PM - 28 June, 2016
if it just says limit as EV stated it is merely processing. that sub is two times more powerful than the zlx tops. the way EV worder its limiting fuction makes the speaker appear to more sensitive than it actually is
ElementalLighting 6:06 PM - 28 June, 2016
I'm talking about hard limit. when the whole screen goes LIMIT is a timer of the smaller limit. Basically if it starts saying limit in about a second it goes LIMIT.
JDforKing 6:10 PM - 28 June, 2016
Quote:
So far the ZLX12P is kicking the subs but. It starts limiting quite early on the standard setting(ZLX12P low-pass). I changed them both to 100Hz crossover as I was not feeling the bass.

I have the ekx15sp sub and I don't agree with your assessment.
ElementalLighting 6:16 PM - 28 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I have the ekx15sp sub and I don't agree with your assessment.

What are your settings on the EKX15sp and (if you have one) ZLX12p?
JDforKing 6:27 PM - 28 June, 2016
Music mode low pass at 100hz and my Yamaha dxr8s at 100hz for high pass
ElementalLighting 6:31 PM - 28 June, 2016
Quote:
Music mode low pass at 100hz and my Yamaha dxr8s at 100hz for high pass

Thanks! I will try it out for the Canada Day Party scheduled this Friday and get back to you how it went.
Mr.Jace 12:51 AM - 29 June, 2016
I have the ev ekx15sp sub too. I use it with a pair of elx112p. That sub is pretty good with plenty of headroom. My system balances quite well. I'm not understanding how your zlx can outrun the ekx15sp. Elx112p is louder than the zlx12p, and i run my sub on Music mode with the gain set at -3db and the sub keeps up fine. I'm wondering if your expectations is bass heavy with extreme lows cause these subs will NOT give you that. The ekx15sp is a great bass filler for weddings, birthdays, or corporate events indoors in up to a mid size room. The 15 sub is punchy. I would recommend using two ekx15sp instead of one if possible.
JDforKing 12:59 AM - 29 June, 2016
Quote:
I'm wondering if your expectations is bass heavy with extreme lows cause these subs will NOT give you that. The ekx15sp is a great bass filler for weddings, birthdays, or corporate events indoors in up to a mid size room. The 15 sub is punchy. I would recommend using two ekx15sp instead of one if possible.

+1
pdidy 8:32 AM - 29 June, 2016
Quote:
I have the ev ekx15sp sub too. I use it with a pair of elx112p. That sub is pretty good with plenty of headroom. My system balances quite well. I'm not understanding how your zlx can outrun the ekx15sp. Elx112p is louder than the zlx12p, and i run my sub on Music mode with the gain set at -3db and the sub keeps up fine. I'm wondering if your expectations is bass heavy with extreme lows cause these subs will NOT give you that. The ekx15sp is a great bass filler for weddings, birthdays, or corporate events indoors in up to a mid size room. The 15 sub is punchy. I would recommend using two ekx15sp instead of one if possible.

The definition of a "balanced system" is relative to the individual user with many variables within its intended use. Music type, venue size, indoor/outdoor, crowd size, wedding vs club volume and the individuals perception of sound are all varying factors. For example, your well balanced system would sound anemic and unbalanced too my ear due to it lack of bass. I would need 4 ev ekx15sp subs to balance with 2 elx112p tops because my use and expectations of bass is night and day to yours. But neither one of us would be wrong.
ElementalLighting 12:37 PM - 29 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

The definition of a "balanced system" is relative to the individual user with many variables within its intended use. Music type, venue size, indoor/outdoor, crowd size, wedding vs club volume and the individuals perception of sound are all varying factors. For example, your well balanced system would sound anemic and unbalanced too my ear due to it lack of bass. I would need 4 ev ekx15sp subs to balance with 2 elx112p tops because my use and expectations of bass is night and day to yours. But neither one of us would be wrong.

I guess Im looking for a good punchy sub. Need to be able to feel the music as I usually do Semi-Formals and House Parties. Agree with both! Ill be keeping the sub and later will get a second one to get more out of the lower frequency range. Thanks for the replies!
Mr.Jace 3:29 PM - 29 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I guess Im looking for a good punchy sub. Need to be able to feel the music as I usually do Semi-Formals and House Parties. Agree with both! Ill be keeping the sub and later will get a second one to get more out of the lower frequency range. Thanks for the replies!

@Elementallighting. I've only used one ekx15sp only once a few weeks ago. It was a small wedding. Maybe 70 people max in mid sized room. After my experience, I feel these subs were meant to use 2 or more. You say you want to really feel the bass for house music. Have you thought about bringing back the ekx15sp and get the 18's? The ekx18sp might be a better fit for you.
ElementalLighting 6:27 PM - 29 June, 2016
Quote:

@Elementallighting. I've only used one ekx15sp only once a few weeks ago. It was a small wedding. Maybe 70 people max in mid sized room. After my experience, I feel these subs were meant to use 2 or more. You say you want to really feel the bass for house music. Have you thought about bringing back the ekx15sp and get the 18's? The ekx18sp might be a better fit for you.

Yah I have looked at the 18inch version but it is a bit too big to fit in my room when I'm not using it for events. Its also heavier and I'm a one man crew at times.
Scully DJ Services 12:03 AM - 2 July, 2016
The EKX18SP is definitely manageable with one person. If you don't want to carry it much, buy a cheap dolly like this www.globalindustrial.com and roll the sub around on it during transit.
DJ Diesel - Rochester 9:32 PM - 4 July, 2016
I agree with all the comments above. I run 2- EKX12p over 2- EKX15sp. The system is great! I do 300+ people weddings and proms and have no issues with limiting. Sure I can drive them to limit just to see the output but I have mine set up until they start to limit and then back them off 2 or 3 dB and the output is still plenty!

I also stack them on top of each other and ran the identical signal to both. This couples them and gives me a 3 dB making up for any output lost by not getting the 18sp's. Just my 2 cents.
Mr.Jace 10:01 PM - 4 July, 2016
Quote:
I agree with all the comments above. I run 2- EKX12p over 2- EKX15sp. The system is great! I do 300+ people weddings and proms and have no issues with limiting. Sure I can drive them to limit just to see the output but I have mine set up until they start to limit and then back them off 2 or 3 dB and the output is still plenty!

I also stack them on top of each other and ran the identical signal to both. This couples them and gives me a 3 dB making up for any output lost by not getting the 18sp's. Just my 2 cents.

300+ people for weddings and proms? With only a pair of ev ekx15sp subs? What mode are you using? What type of music you mainly play? Just wondering with your dsp adjustments. With my recent experience, I wouldn't feel comfortable using a pair ekx15sp subs going over 150 people. I would have to rent 18 inch subs for that many people to be safe and conservative. That's just my instinct.
DJ Diesel - Rochester 10:19 PM - 4 July, 2016
Using the factory DSP settings. The EKX12p are set to "EKX15sp" and "music." The EKX15sp are set to "EKX12p" and "music." All EQ settings in all speakers are flat. The individual channel input gains are at the 12 o'clock position. The master gain controls are at 0 dB on the EKX12p's and are -3 dB on the EKX15sp's. The EQ's on my controller (Pioneer DDJ-SR) are also typically flat unless I'm EQing a specific song. I play all Top40, hip-hop, EDM and club mixes at proms. System sounds phenomenal! These speakers don't need to be EQ'd. They are plenty bright enough naturally and the bass is hard and tight. I hope this helps.
Mr.Jace 1:34 AM - 5 July, 2016
I'm not doubting the sound quality, it sounds great. I own one ekx15sp sub. I just find it hard to believe two ekx15sp can handle 300+ person party without any limiting.
pdidy 4:19 AM - 5 July, 2016
Quote:
I'm not doubting the sound quality, it sounds great. I own one ekx15sp sub. I just find it hard to believe two ekx15sp can handle 300+ person party without any limiting.

this guy claimed "600 people with 2 12in Ev and 1 18in EV Sub"
serato.com or 800-1000 if you set it up right....lol serato.com

and this one...."3-4 K12's (one as a monitor) on stands with no subwoofer at weddings for about 400-700 people. No complaints so far." serato.com
pdidy 4:25 AM - 5 July, 2016
Now what i've learned from this over the years on this forum is that some people have extremely low too non existent bass requirements and that is normal for where they are from.
ElementalLighting 11:55 AM - 5 July, 2016
Before I came along, people where i work were fine with two 15" yorkviles for an event of 300 people. So yah its different expectations for different locations.
ElementalLighting 12:05 PM - 5 July, 2016
Also for indoor events im starting to like the EKX15sp. Its loud enough for what im using it for just outdoors the bass spreads out too much.
pdidy 5:10 PM - 5 July, 2016
Quote:
Also for indoor events im starting to like the EKX15sp. Its loud enough for what im using it for just outdoors the bass spreads out too much.

This is normal and unavoidable, the rule is you need 2X times as many subs outside but I've found that it could be even more.
ElementalLighting 5:46 PM - 5 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

This is normal and unavoidable, the rule is you need 2X times as many subs outside but I've found that it could be even more.

Went to a festival for the first time (Digital Dreams) this weekend and even with their super powerful system the sub trailes off after a certain point.
Joee 7:21 PM - 5 July, 2016
Quote:

i two would have no issues doing a 300 person prom or wedding with his setup

now heres what comes into play, i only need that sound / bass two be on the dance floor area, i don't need the bass hitting you in the chest in every square inch of the room
DJ Diesel - Rochester 7:42 PM - 5 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

i two would have no issues doing a 300 person prom or wedding with his setup

now heres what comes into play, i only need that sound / bass two be on the dance floor area, i don't need the bass hitting you in the chest in every square inch of the room

+1
Taipanic 3:25 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
i don't need the bass hitting you in the chest in every square inch of the room

That's crazy talk!
pdidy 5:29 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

That's crazy talk!

Yea but Joee is primarily a wedding dj, I hear they do things a lil bit differently than you or I :)
Joee 1:05 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

That's crazy talk!

lol

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's crazy talk!

Yea but Joee is primarily a wedding dj, I hear they do things a lil bit differently than you or I :)

lol.....that is correct
ElementalLighting 1:28 PM - 7 July, 2016
So after more testing I broke some plates... setup the sub woofer in my basement in the opposite corner of the house relative to the kitchen.On the bass drop of "Open your eyes (revelation)" I heard something break and there it was. 4 plates had rattled of the counter and on to the floor. Gotta say I'm impressed.
djnonstopla323 11:43 PM - 26 November, 2016
Hey guys just started to dj again. In need of a sub, I just got a good deal on some JBL PRx715 speakers. Was looking at the PRX718xfl and the EKX-18SP. Can anyone give me an answer of which one is louder and better sound. I know the JBL has 1500watts vs 1300 Watts. But sometimes watts don't mean anything. My gigs are usually outdoor with around 200 people I'm planning to buy a second sub in the future for bigger events, but in the mean time which one will work. Jbl is $799 and Ev $899 trying to stay under $1000 since I'll be buying from ZZounds.
Joee 11:49 PM - 26 November, 2016
your comparing apples to apples, anyway there really is no wrong choice, both are good

Quote:
planning to buy a second sub in the future for bigger events

this might make me lean EV the prx700 series is discontinued, will they be hard to find new in the near future?
djnonstopla323 11:53 PM - 26 November, 2016
Quote:
your comparing apples to apples, anyway there really is no wrong choice, both are good

Quote:

this might make me lean EV the prx700 series is discontinued, will they be hard to find new in the near future?

Is the sound about the same I keep reading that the PRX sounds louder then that it clips faster . Didn't know that the prx was discontinued. I seen the 800series but not much of a difference from the 700 well at least on paper. So Ev will be enough I know is a newer speaker so Technology wise should be better even if it's 200Watts less right.
Mr.Jace 4:17 AM - 27 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Is the sound about the same I keep reading that the PRX sounds louder then that it clips faster . Didn't know that the prx was discontinued. I seen the 800series but not much of a difference from the 700 well at least on paper. So Ev will be enough I know is a newer speaker so Technology wise should be better even if it's 200Watts less right.

Between the Ev ekx18sp and jbl prx718xlf,both subs are on par like Joee said, the ev will be slightly louder while the jbl will go noticably deeper/lower in bass frequency. Ev is lighter and smaller. I never heard the jbl prx800 series yet. Jbl is replacing the 700 with 800. Personally since you already have the jbl prx715 tops, i think you should look into the jbl prx818xlf. A few reasons, keep it all the same name brand, tops and subs will visually match. And since the jbl prx715 tops does not have a low pass filter, the jbl prx818xlf has a built in crossover to remove sub bass from tops. The ev ekx18sp only has a full range on the output and you would need an external overcross. Something to think about.
Mr.Jace 4:22 AM - 27 November, 2016
Correction^
Jbl prx715 tops does not have a high pass filter. Not low pass filter.
desmorider 4:39 AM - 27 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Between the Ev ekx18sp and jbl prx718xlf,both subs are on par like Joee said, the ev will be slightly louder while the jbl will go noticably deeper/lower in bass frequency. Ev is lighter and smaller. I never heard the jbl prx800 series yet. Jbl is replacing the 700 with 800. Personally since you already have the jbl prx715 tops, i think you should look into the jbl prx818xlf. A few reasons, keep it all the same name brand, tops and subs will visually match. And since the jbl prx715 tops does not have a low pass filter, the jbl prx818xlf has a built in crossover to remove sub bass from tops. The ev ekx18sp only has a full range on the output and you would need an external overcross. Something to think about.

Overcross? You been holiday sipping?
Mr.Jace 4:55 AM - 27 November, 2016
Lol. Good catch. Yeah I've been drinking whiskey all day.
djnonstopla323 7:15 AM - 27 November, 2016
Quote:
Correction^

But doesn't the RX718 have a pass through. So basically I'll run the XLRs to the sub then to the 715s right. So the EV sounds louder than the Prx sub.
Mr.Jace 8:57 PM - 27 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Correction^

But doesn't the RX718 have a pass through. So basically I'll run the XLRs to the sub then to the 715s right. So the EV sounds louder than the Prx sub.

Ev is louder, but by a small margin. Jbl's bass will extend deeper in frequency. You will feel the bass more with the jbl. Prx sub does have an output high pass signal which you connect to the prx715 tops. Prx has a true built in crossover. And yes , I am sober this time. Lol
djnonstopla323 10:08 PM - 27 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Correction^

Ev is louder, but by a small margin. Jbl's bass will extend deeper in frequency. You will feel the bass more with the jbl. Prx sub does have an output high pass signal which you connect to the prx715 tops. Prx has a true built in crossover. And yes , I am sober this time. Lol

Lol thanks, will be going with the prx. Planning to buy a second one in 3 months which I doubt they'll be out of zzounds by then.
DJ Guayo 4:54 AM - 29 November, 2016
I ran across this tonight. JBL 800W built in wifi into the speakers that let configure from ur iOS or Android.

www.jblpro.com