Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

NAMM 2015: Forthcoming OSA support for the Allen & Heath Xone:K1

1:11 AM, 19 Jan 2015
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
G-rod 7:04 PM - 22 January, 2015
Will the A&H K2 also work with the same mapping for the K1?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 7:16 PM - 22 January, 2015
Hey G-rod,

For now only the Xone:K1 is supported as an Official Serato Accessory.

Sam.
G-rod 7:51 PM - 22 January, 2015
I already have my K2 mapped, but haven't been able to work the various colours and other lightning tricks. I guess I will have to wait.
DER_FICH 8:27 PM - 22 January, 2015
DB4 & K1? Best news ever!!! :))
Entro 9:41 PM - 22 January, 2015
K1 + the new Denon DS1 maybe?
Entro 3:41 AM - 26 January, 2015
"The user mappable layer is fully midi-mappable to Serato DJ apart from the hardware controls from the first layer where the 4 buttons on each column control Cues 1 - 4 within Serato DJ."

I don't really understand this sentence. Is it possible within the user mappable layer to assign Cues 1-8 to the lower 16 button grid? (If you're not mixing with four decks why not have access to all Cues?)
Krmzm 5:55 PM - 3 February, 2015
Hi,

"the Xone:K1 can also allow you to control Serato DJ without the need for Turntables or CDJs when used in conjunction with a supported Serato DJ device"

So if I understand well I could use the K1 together with my Twitch for example to have better control over the SP6 ?

Also, would that mean that I could virtually route the audio outpout of the SP6 to deck C/D even if the Twitch is a 2 deck controller ?
Garrison (DJ G) 6:07 PM - 24 February, 2015
Are the buttons on this controller hard plastic style or drum pad style?
Entro 2:01 AM - 5 March, 2015
Can you fully map the second layer? Make it control two decks instead of four and map buttons to access all 8 cue points? My dream is that the K1 in Serato will provide as much control as the X1 in Traktor...
DER_FICH 1:32 PM - 22 March, 2015
right now there are already two layers for the K1, may you just set the ptich control to the faders maybe nativ fine and normal pitch level by pressing the shift button.

For those who are in need of the line fader to the second layer.

Thanks for,

DER_FICH
Zita M. 9:29 PM - 6 April, 2015
I see this product is out already, but there is no Serato mapping provided on the Allen and Heath website. Only for the Traktor and Ableton softwares . Where can I find help for this?
G-rod 9:34 PM - 6 April, 2015
probably you won't need the mapping as it, probably, is a built in the program. you should try to update, or use the latest Serato Dj beta version (1.7.4 3rd beta version)
G-rod 9:34 PM - 6 April, 2015
Quote:
probably you won't need the mapping as it, probably, is a built in the program. you should try to update, or use the latest Serato Dj beta version (1.7.4 3rd beta version)

Correction

probably you won't need the mapping as it, probably, is built in the program. You should try to update, or use the latest Serato Dj beta version (1.7.4 3rd beta version)
ProfBen 8:50 AM - 14 April, 2015
Any chance the K2 will ever be supported? I jumped for joy at the news that my DB4 will be supported by Serato; Why the K1 but not the K2? Isn't it basically the same controller but without the soundcard? I'd love the combination of DB4+K2+Serato. (K1 would be fine too but of course I already own the K2 lol)...
Entro 4:03 PM - 14 April, 2015
Why, why, WHY can't we just map the K1 to suit our needs? That's the whole point of this controller.

I almost never need four decks. If I could remap it to control just two but with more functions and shift layers (beat jump, 8 hot cues, key lock/pitch range) this would be the most powerful little controller for Serato out there!
DER_FICH 10:45 AM - 19 April, 2015
NDKelly is right,
by working with a two deck controller the mapping of the K1 doesn´t make that much sense.

It would be great if the K1´s mapping would be switching depending how many decks are played cause it ain´t giving you the abillity to play with four decks by connecting it anyhow.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 8:48 AM - 21 April, 2015
Hey NDKelly

Page 12 -> www.allen-heath.com
The Xone:K1 has the ability to use a different MIDI Channel, so you should be able to set your unit to that and forget about the default mapping.

We just think the controller is a great addition to a four channel setup,
and a pre-mapped device is a good thing for most users,
but if you're up for it and want to create your own mapping, just set your K1 to another MIDI channel

Cheers
Karl
DER_FICH 11:36 AM - 21 April, 2015
Hi Karl,

thanks for the adwise but some things in SDJ just can´t get mapped by us otherwise we would stop complaining about it immediately!!!

I´d realy love to map the fader as a pitchfader but the way we could do this just isn´t fine enough.

Cheers
Fich
Entro 4:52 PM - 22 April, 2015
Quote:

The Xone:K1 has the ability to use a different MIDI Channel, so you should be able to set your unit to that and forget about the default mapping.

Thanks for the tip, Karl! I wasn't aware you could do this. So setting the K1 to a different MIDI channel would essentially make it a secondary controller (as opposed to an official accessory)? Then it can be custom mapped? This is good news. Is it possible to customize the MIDI lighting colour? And to still use a secondary layer (say, for hot cues/samples)?
DER_FICH 7:18 PM - 28 April, 2015
Hi Karl,

maybe you guys could just optimize the K2s mapping by moving the pitch slider a 0.01 BPM up or down by pressing shift + pitch bend up/ down would make things better and sense : )
ProfBen 6:56 AM - 1 July, 2015
A couple people mentioned using the K2; is that actually working? (whether or not officially supported)

Also, will we be able to use the DB4's MIDI mode as well?
juandj 2:51 PM - 9 September, 2015
Yeah, here more about the same questions for the K2:

- Is it going to be officially supported?

- Anyone got to make it work just by itself? I mean, without any officially SDJ device.
Entro 2:59 PM - 9 September, 2015
Quote:

- Anyone got to make it work just by itself? I mean, without any officially SDJ device.

I've never heard of this working. As far as I know, SDJ only works with official hardware. That would be a huge security breach if someone got non-official hardware to work with the software.

I would love to see a new K2-style device for Serato though. Like an Akai AFX with a sound card built in, designed to work with an external mixer.
juandj 9:00 PM - 9 September, 2015
Hi NDKelly, thanks for that quick answer!

Yeah I thought the same, but being so similar to the K1, I can't understand how it's not supported yet.

For me it's the most affordable and compact way to start playing at home or with friends when they open their house to make a small gig :D
Snotty Monster 7:37 AM - 7 December, 2015
I just got a k1 which I have started mapping to scratch live. But I couldn't work out how to change layers? Each button has 3 layers, right? I thought the shift button would do it but serato was trying to assign the shift button to a control. Or isn't the button layering possible?
DER_FICH 8:44 AM - 7 December, 2015
The K2 is able to change layers, you can just change the Midi-Channel for another Mapping :(
Snotty Monster 9:08 AM - 7 December, 2015
Quote:
The K2 is able to change layers, you can just change the Midi-Channel for another Mapping :(

Ok that's cool. But how do I change the midi-channel? That essential means that each of the 16 buttons at the bottom can be assigned 3 times, yeah? Using the different channels? I just could work out how to do that? (Sorry, this is all a massive leaning curve for me. I appreciate your help immensely!)
Snotty Monster 9:11 AM - 7 December, 2015
Sorry, I meant COULD NOT work out how to do that. I thought that the shift button would be the way to change the channels but when I pressed it serato was assigning it (as in the actual shift button).
DER_FICH 7:41 PM - 7 December, 2015
Sorry , I guess I hadn´t been explaining it well.
First of all just the K2 has 3 layers, the K1 does not!
Change the Midi-Channel by removing the USB or X-Link cable. hold the right lower Encoder down while reconnecting the K1.
Let the encoder go and press it again, by rotating the Encoder you should be able to select the Midi-Channel (default for the K1 is 15).
Press it again to leave the settings. Press the orange button to save the settings.

Good luck ; )
DER_FICH 7:44 PM - 7 December, 2015
Right now its not possible to map a Shift-Button ( I´m wainting for it aswell : ) )
Snert 6:27 AM - 19 January, 2016
So is it possible to map the faders to the tempo adjustments faders in Serato Dj? It's not letting me
Back-E-man 1:08 PM - 15 February, 2016
How can I change the selected crate with the K1. If i want to switch to another crate I always have to touch the laptop. That's annoying! With my old Denon DN-HC1000 it was quite easy. Can anyone help?
Snert 5:28 PM - 15 February, 2016
Buy another controller lol
Back-E-man 7:35 AM - 16 February, 2016
Ha, ha! Very helpful. Any recommendation? Controller must have same size than K1 or be smaller and shall do the same things.
Entro 2:39 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
How can I change the selected crate with the K1. If i want to switch to another crate I always have to touch the laptop. That's annoying! With my old Denon DN-HC1000 it was quite easy. Can anyone help?

Apparently if you change the MIDI channel (as described above) you can remap the whole device. This would allow you to map the function you're looking for.

Unfortunately, there's still no slimline, jog wheel-free controller for Serato that offers the level of control that the X1 has for Traktor. Hopefully that will change in the future. Imagine a Traktor D2-style Serato controller with an onboard soundcard designed to control all deck/FX functions and plug into whatever mixer is available. Now that would be something...
Back-E-man 5:38 PM - 16 February, 2016
Thanks! Ok, it seems I indeed have to remap the whole thing. They defo need to change the lack of a small controller with full control. Thanks again.
Back-E-man 11:03 AM - 17 May, 2016
BTW just in case anyone is interested in. I did the latest driver update from A&H website for the K1. After the update I can finally browse through my crates folders by pressing shift and turning the browse encoder. If I release shift I can browse and select the tracks in the crate. So this now is perfect for me.

If I could only map the “user mappable faders” (which in reality are unfortunaltey not user mappable) to pitch….

serato.com
GnollinZ 4:54 PM - 26 May, 2016
I'm close to hitting buy on a K1 to pair with my new Xone:43C.

So from what I read here, you can't map the 4 faders to control the pitch adjust in SDJ? Surely that's one of the obvious mappings?

Otherwise is seems perfect for my needs - means being able to play out without using DVS all the time.
dibb 7:41 PM - 26 May, 2016
You can midi map the fader to pitch adjust, but the only midi mappable pitch adjust in SDJ is course adjust and is not at all a "fine" pitch adjust. i think the resolution is around 0,8%. I don't have a K1 but an AFX and AMX (and VCI400).

If you tend to use it without sync and want to be able to mix long transitions, it's not going to be fine enough.
GnollinZ 9:02 AM - 27 May, 2016
That's disappointing, but makes sense as MIDI can only send 128 different values.

At +/- 8% that would be 0.125% per step which certainly isn't fine enough for transitions.

Not possible to hold shift and use fine adjust?
G-rod 10:31 AM - 27 May, 2016
I regularly play with a K2 without DVS, and I mapped the faders as pitch, but the main problem besides not being that much precise, is that the pitch works inverted to what we're used to. +pitch>up -pitch>down. (tried to sort this out but couldn't solve it).

But I manage to make every transition, without any problems since I mapped buttons to (nudge + and nudge -) for every channel.
GnollinZ 10:35 AM - 27 May, 2016
Good point about the nudge function, that would sort it.

For the faders you should turn the K2 upside down ;-)

Think I'll hit go on the K1, should be good enough for my needs.
G-rod 11:04 AM - 27 May, 2016
I'm considering purchasing a A&H Xone:43C for one of my residencies. What do you think about it?
GnollinZ 12:18 PM - 27 May, 2016
It's a good, solid mixer. As expected from A&H the sound quality is excellent. Very punchy with lots of headroom.
Serato integration using DVS vinyl has been solid so far on my mid-2012 Macbook Pro running Yosemite.

However, there are a few issues that it's worth being aware of.

1. As standard the 8 in/out USB soundcard outputs the stereo feed from all 4 input channels. If you want to record a mix you need to open up the mixer and move some jumpers - that sacrifices the USB output from either channel 1 or channel 3 in exchange for the Record Out. Or, you can run an RCA cable from the Record Out into an unused input channel, but that's adding cables and connections...and sound degradation.

2. The stock crossfader is poor. Even on the blend curve the levels feel wrong. It's unsuitable for scratching. I've got the Innofader on order. (£100...)

3. When you engage the filter the sound changes even when the rotary is fully 'off'. If HPF is selected then the treble is boosted, bass is boosted if LPF is selected. Not a massive problem but it's something to be aware of.

Despite those problems I still recommend it, and really there's nothing else at the price point that has the feature set.
G-rod 12:51 PM - 27 May, 2016
Quote:
It's a good, solid mixer. As expected from A&H the sound quality is excellent. Very punchy with lots of headroom.
Serato integration using DVS vinyl has been solid so far on my mid-2012 Macbook Pro running Yosemite.

However, there are a few issues that it's worth being aware of.

1. As standard the 8 in/out USB soundcard outputs the stereo feed from all 4 input channels. If you want to record a mix you need to open up the mixer and move some jumpers - that sacrifices the USB output from either channel 1 or channel 3 in exchange for the Record Out. Or, you can run an RCA cable from the Record Out into an unused input channel, but that's adding cables and connections...and sound degradation.

2. The stock crossfader is poor. Even on the blend curve the levels feel wrong. It's unsuitable for scratching. I've got the Innofader on order. (£100...)

3. When you engage the filter the sound changes even when the rotary is fully 'off'. If HPF is selected then the treble is boosted, bass is boosted if LPF is selected. Not a massive problem but it's something to be aware of.

Despite those problems I still recommend it, and really there's nothing else at the price point that has the feature set.

Thank you!
GnollinZ 1:11 PM - 27 May, 2016
No probs, thanks for the info on the K1/K2 :-)
GnollinZ 3:38 PM - 1 September, 2016
If I buy a K2, can I apply the K1 map to it? Or will I need to manually assign all the controls?
DER_FICH 5:45 PM - 1 September, 2016
you got to map it on your own :(
GnollinZ 10:52 AM - 5 September, 2016
That's annoying. I can get a K2 for only slightly more than the K1, and it comes with a case as standard (case is £50 on its own...)

Once it's mapped does it have all the same feedback as the K1 with regards to the lights etc?
DER_FICH 8:37 PM - 6 September, 2016
The K1 offers a second layer and there is no way to map this yet
GnollinZ 12:40 PM - 23 September, 2016
Finally bought the K1 - just waiting on it being delivered :-)
GnollinZ 9:20 AM - 28 September, 2016
First few days with the K1 - really impressed with the unit. Build quality is great for the price and Serato integration is perfect.

As other people have said, some way of mapping the faders to fine adjust for pitch would be great as it's very course at the moment (obviously due to the limited values available over MIDI).

Back-E-Man said above that a software update for the K1 allowed crates and tracks to be browsed without needing to touch the laptop. I'm assuming this is for Windows as there's no software for the Mac. Is it possible to switch between crates and tracks when using the K1 on Mac?

I'll probably remap the controller in the future as there's a few controls that I don't use.
DER_FICH 7:13 PM - 28 September, 2016
It should work by pressing the shift button and rotating the browser encoder
dalton_23 9:09 PM - 5 June, 2017
Hello. Can i use the XONE K1 controller with SERATO DJ and DENON DS1 soundcard on a pioneer setup? (DJM900 + 2 CDJ 2000)
DER_FICH 10:42 PM - 5 June, 2017
Shure but what for the DS1 it could work with the 900 and the Club-Kit aswell
dalton_23 2:26 PM - 6 June, 2017
pioneer DJM 900 can unlock the serato DJ with the club kit?
DER_FICH 2:37 PM - 6 June, 2017
The 900SRT works on its own,
the 900NXS and 900NXS2 are in need of the Club Kit.
Javier drada 10:29 PM - 4 August, 2017
Ok I have not been able to MIDI map the faders to the pitch, what am I missing? I click Midi in Serato DJ and if I move the fader no assignement