Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

NAMM 2015: Announcing, Denon DS1

11:02 PM, 18 Jan 2015
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
SelectaLionheart 7:58 PM - 22 January, 2015
So Denon is making the Interfaces now and not Rane?
Mighty Dragon Sounds 8:06 PM - 22 January, 2015
Well Rane's Reign over Serato may be coming to a............

Well not end but....... I guess something else?

lol...

Just sold my SL boxes to and might need a backup
DeeWhy 8:16 PM - 22 January, 2015
Awesome price point - will NZ be similar? (About NZD$400?)
lindsaymar 8:29 PM - 22 January, 2015
Wow. Unexpected!
Competition's good. Nice to see a cheaper alternative to Rane. (No offense - I love Rane gear :)
THEE_Dj 9:04 PM - 22 January, 2015
Apparently the SL2 having a dedicated power adapter raises the cost $200. Smh. I've BEEN saying the SL Boxes were WAY overpriced and this proves it. Could the internal parts be different? Sure...maybe the components on the board inside are a higher quality. Could the metal used to construct the exterior of the box be different? Sure. Maybe Steel instead of aluminium. BUT.....I can promise you it's not a $200 difference. Rane is going to have to lower the price point now for their SL boxes. Because unless someone needs 3 or 4 inputs to DJ (which MOST...not all) don't, or unless these Denon boxes prove to be POS, then no one will justify paying almost double for the exact same piece of hardware.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:32 PM - 22 January, 2015
Quote:
Apparently the SL2 having a dedicated power adapter raises the cost $200. Smh.

Where did you hear that?

There are definitely reasons the Rane SL 2 is the price that it is. One of them is Rane's unique galvanic isolation, which gives these units a super low signal/noise ratio.

They are also built by hand in the good old USA and are of a very high quality.

The Denon DS1 is also very high quality though, but has other differences that set it apart such as 96kHz sample rate support and a very small size!

Sam.
Entro 9:56 PM - 22 January, 2015
Could you use this in conjunction with "official accessory" CDJs in HID mode? Or just timecode CDs?
woody008 11:33 PM - 22 January, 2015
No galvanic isolation? That means this unit will be susceptible to noise from ground loops and other hum issues.
basedjuk 11:50 PM - 22 January, 2015
I'd also like to know about CDJs in HID mode as I don't currently have a Serato supported mixer.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 12:24 AM - 23 January, 2015
You can use this with Official Serato Control Vinyl and CDs as it's a supported Serato DJ DVS interface.

HID Mode is also supported in Serato DJ which this interface activates.

Sam.
Pablo Falcone 1:09 AM - 23 January, 2015
also you can REc too?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:40 AM - 23 January, 2015
It's similar to the SL 2, because there's no aux input and the audio is mixed externally in a DJ mixer and not in software, you'd have to connect a secondary output from your mixer to a line input on your computer or use a recording device.

It's just a limitation as the audio is mixed outside of the interface / software.

Sam.
DJAnem 1:55 AM - 23 January, 2015
Will this work with SSL??
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 2:15 AM - 23 January, 2015
No only Serato DJ. Scratch Live is no longer being actively developed.
FabulousFrequencies 5:02 AM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:
Rane's unique galvanic isolation, which gives these units a super low signal/noise ratio.

For personal edification this is not a technically accurate explanation.

I'm not the Lorax, so I don't speak for the trees. But if they're using the same circuit topology in this that they used in the Akai AMX, I hope they fix the input sensitivity range before they dump it to market.

Heads up?
goldRAS 8:20 AM - 23 January, 2015
Good option for me ....... Will there be a 4 channel sound card soon from Denon?
DJ Mister Hustla 9:01 AM - 23 January, 2015
I'd like to know how this compares to SL2/3/4 sound quality wise. Its small size is very interesting.. but Denon as a manufacturer is a small step back for me, though.
mayaku 9:56 AM - 23 January, 2015
srsly?.. god...
this seems just like bad mistake. and it's like punching rane straight in the face. serato's product policy has turned into such a mess.
djmanos 11:25 AM - 23 January, 2015
i hope that you are also working for the pioneer djm-2000 and make it work with serato dj !!!one of the best mixer of the market it is a shame not to work with serato......
djmanos 11:28 AM - 23 January, 2015
what about the pioneer djm -2000 nxs any news?
Jumbo Boogie 1:40 PM - 23 January, 2015
Still no dedicated EFX sends/returns?....maybe not at $299 but for $329 or $349 why not.
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 3:03 PM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:
I hope they fix the input sensitivity range before they dump it to market.

Been tested with various gear to avoid such, no problem. thanks.
FabulousFrequencies 4:26 PM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate that reply, but a technically respectable design process wouldn't require that.

To be clear, I like Denon. I also like Numark and Akai. Have not always liked the people, but I do like the product. So I am not looking for something bad to say here. What I am looking for is specifications that companies have slowly drifted away from publishing. RANE is not shy about publishing these specifications. This includes input ranges for phono/line in Vrms, S/N, Latency, distortion, etc.

Will Denon provide these specifications for consumer evaluation?

Here is the RANE sl/2 data: serato.com
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 5:33 PM - 23 January, 2015
Thanks, we will publish them upon final testing.
FabulousFrequencies 5:40 PM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:
Thanks, we will publish them upon final testing.

Thank you.
woody008 6:39 PM - 23 January, 2015
Why not add galvanic isolation? This limit this SDJ boxe's reputation as "professional product".
DJ LP730 8:26 PM - 23 January, 2015
I think it's excellent that interface boxes are being made separately and they are cheaper. That way as bit rates go up, DJ's that use them won't be left out in the cold if they want to improve sound quality and not have to buy a new mixer. Denon makes excellent products btw.
DeBassman 5:05 AM - 24 January, 2015
Will this work with the Denon HC-4500?
Jackiechoi 4:48 PM - 24 January, 2015
Quite interesting!! I think there will be more products like rane sl3 and sl4. Id like to know i can use the sl vinyls/control cds on the ds1 interface or vise versa
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 5:56 PM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:
Id like to know i can use the sl vinyls/control cds on the ds1 interface or vise versa

Yes you can. The standard noisemap serato tone has not changed.
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 6:01 PM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:
Will this work with the Denon HC-4500?

The HC4500 will work with any serato dj enabled device, you will still need to midi map it as you like.
DJ Gittemup 9:26 PM - 24 January, 2015
Will Denon put Serato Flip function buttons on an upcoming MC6000 release? I love the size of the MC6000mk2 and hope they don't change that. Just add that feature. And hope so soon. I love Denon.

Thanks,
Gary
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 2:27 AM - 25 January, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion Gary.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:58 AM - 25 January, 2015
This could also be used as an audio input device for third party software like ableton right?
minnesotadj1 11:24 PM - 26 January, 2015
Release date?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 12:28 AM - 27 January, 2015
I'd get in touch with Denon about hardware availability and pricing. There's no announced date for Serato DJ support. Support will be in a forthcoming update.
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 12:35 AM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
Release date?

Q2
$299 USD
thanks
XBlockMove 1:12 PM - 27 January, 2015
So... Serato DJ only? This device not support Scratch Live?
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 3:07 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
So... Serato DJ only? This device not support Scratch Live?

Scratch Live will only be supported by Rane hardware.
XBlockMove 4:06 PM - 27 January, 2015
ok. but when DS 1 will be available in Poland? and how much in PLN?
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 4:22 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
ok. but when DS 1 will be available in Poland? and how much in PLN?

Release date is Q2.
Check with your local dealer for PL price, thanks.
DJ Em Nice 7:08 AM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
I'd like to know how this compares to SL2/3/4 sound quality wise. Its small size is very interesting.. but Denon as a manufacturer is a small step back for me, though.

Can you elaborate on your comment? Denon as a manufacturer is a small step back...
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 2:30 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:

Hi DJ Em Nice, thanks for your question.
Denon has been around for 105 years creating nothing but premium audio products and this continues with the DS1. Sound quality will meet or exceed your expectations. If not, you let us know.
DJ Em Nice 7:08 PM - 29 January, 2015
Hello Sil

I am very familiar with the quality of Denon products. Having owned the 3500s, the 3700s and now the 3900s I can speak about the quality of the product.

My response was a question to DJ Mista Hustla.
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 7:28 PM - 29 January, 2015
Ah, I see it now thanks !
DJZobe 9:25 PM - 29 January, 2015
USB powered, no ac power…
So in order to play regular vinyl/cds you need to hook the Denon box's usb to laptop/pc and run Serato DJ to get audio?
FabulousFrequencies 9:43 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:

Speaking of, I don't think an additional 5 components would break the bank to offer the option of DC only power or the reliability that comes with the redundancy of a secondary power source. A load balanced power bus would be ideal and I don't think anyone in this area is offering this.
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 9:43 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
So in order to play regular vinyl/cds you need to hook the Denon box's usb to laptop/pc and run Serato DJ to get audio?

Hi DJZobe, same as the SL2.
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 9:48 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Speaking of, I don't think an additional 5 components would break the bank to offer the option of DC only power or the reliability that comes with the redundancy of a secondary power source. A load balanced power bus would be ideal and I don't think anyone in this area is offering this.

Wont break the bank, but will make the size 40% larger to about the SL2.
Our goal for this was to keep it small and portable for Serato DJ / DVS users, thanks.
FabulousFrequencies 11:11 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
Wont break the bank, but will make the size 40% larger to about the SL2.
Our goal for this was to keep it small and portable for Serato DJ / DVS users, thanks.

Those users carry a 64" x 20" x 9" coffin case weighing 60lbs up flights of stairs. Forgoing a quality feature to save 1 square inch of footprint probably wouldn't be how i'd sell that decision. Looking forward to those specifications, though. Thanks!
Dj Berti 2:24 PM - 30 January, 2015
I was in a Dj Store yesterday, and they told me taht you wil require a Licence for Serato DJ in issue with the DS1, or Serato DJ will stay in "Offline" mode.

Is this so????????
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 2:25 PM - 30 January, 2015
Quote:
I was in a Dj Store yesterday, and they told me taht you wil require a Licence for Serato DJ in issue with the DS1, or Serato DJ will stay in "Offline" mode.

Is this so????????

Incorrect.
DS1 is Serato DJ and Serato DVS Enabled, thanks.
Dj Berti 2:26 PM - 30 January, 2015
And wil the HC4500 be implementated in SDJ in the future. There are Many Mobil DJs who wants to see that, i'm one of them.
Denon DJ, Support
Silvio Z 2:28 PM - 30 January, 2015
Quote:
And wil the HC4500 be implementated in SDJ in the future. There are Many Mobil DJs who wants to see that, i'm one of them.

MIDI mapping can be achieved, but native support won't be offered by serato, thanks.
vj tech.sys 9:54 PM - 30 January, 2015
For the DS-1, will you be able to record an input at 24/96, like with the SL-4? That feature alone will make me buy one, even though I already have the SL-4. I hate having to disconnect and reconnect.
4tea 3:14 AM - 31 January, 2015
Hello Silvio Z,
I would really to know if DS1 will have a thru function.
Or anything that makes it able to play non-timecode records like the SL3 or SL4 soundcards.
Thanks in advance.
PJem 11:13 PM - 31 January, 2015
This price is nice and give me now the option to change my setup from Traktor to Serato!

Hope its available soon!
Mighty Dragon Sounds 2:21 AM - 1 February, 2015
This may sound cruel..... but can I disassemble one of these and install it into a generic conventional battle mixer like the DJM 909? Similar to how SL boxes have been installed internally on those same mixers.
maarawoe 8:36 AM - 1 February, 2015
When having one of these, do I have to purchase anything else to be able to use the Club Kit?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 6:42 PM - 1 February, 2015
Quote:
When having one of these, do I have to purchase anything else to be able to use the Club Kit?

If you have this interface, you don't need to purchase anything else - it's Serato DJ Enabled. That means it's plug-and-play exactly like any other Serato DJ interface (SL 2, SL 3 etc).

The Club Kit is only needed for hardware that requires a Serato DJ + DVS license - the Pioneer DJM-900NXS & 850 as well as the Allen & Heath DB2 & DB4 mixers. These products are known as Serato DJ and DVS Upgrade Ready hardware.

Cheers,

Sam.
DJ Edwardo30 5:48 PM - 5 February, 2015
RE:
Other hardware features include:
◾2 sets of stereo RCA inputs / outputs.
◾Dedicated grounding post for turntable use.
◾Rugged, all metal construction.
◾Single USB 2.0 connection to your computer.

By reading the specs...I saw it mentioned that it is USB 2.0, I am guessing it will NOT work on new computers with USB 3.0 slots only?

Also, how does the DS1 handle power spikes? (i.e..fog machine/strobe light power clips). I have tested many sound cards from the m-audio connective, NI Audio 4, Denon DNS-3700 built in sound card, SL2 and the NI Kontrol Z2.

The connective and NI Kontrol Z2 fail miserably when I tested it with a paper shredder that simulates power spikes when the program..i.e Serato DJ, Serato, Traktor and Torq is running and after a few flips on the shredder the program stops working and I would have to restart the program in order to get the sound back up. (tested it by plugging all to a power strip or surge protectors etc...and repeatedly turning the switch from the shredder on and off).

After maybe 4-6 times flicking it on and off the sound will go away and program sometimes freezes or continues with out any sound (and I would have to shut and restart the program).

The NI Audio 4, SL2 and Denon DNS-3700 would take more of a punishment an continue to work. It would take probably 10-20 flicks by turning the shredder on and off repeatedly before it would affect the sound card, but it would freeze up too after a while. But they are more reliable.

I think the same can be said about controllers too, since they have built in sound cards. The NI Kontrol Z2 is bad with power spikes. I can't feel conferrable taking this mixer out to a club were they have fog machines or strobes all plugged in to the same outlet because after a few flicks on the fog or strove the sound will cut off.

I hope the DS1 was tested and can handle power spikes as good as the SL2 and NI Audio 4 DJ.
FabulousFrequencies 6:01 PM - 5 February, 2015
Quote:
By reading the specs...I saw it mentioned that it is USB 2.0, I am guessing it will NOT work on new computers with USB 3.0 slots only?

USB standards mandate backward compliance. You can plug a USB 1.1 device into USB 3.0 and it'll work.

Quote:
I tested it with a paper shredder that simulates power spikes

This generates EMI & EMP. It will not generate spikes affecting equipment in proximity. Because the DS1 is in a metal encasement, tying the chassis ground to earth will create a Faraday around the PCB. If you have problems with this, you should earth ground the DS1.
DJ Edwardo30 6:51 PM - 5 February, 2015
USB 3.0

I have the NI Audio 4 DJ and it had tons of problems with the 3.0 "backward" compatibility issue. I first bought a early Dell Xps 15 with USB 3.0 slots only, the Audio 4 DJ would not work. I also used the SL2 with Serato soon after not knowing about the USB 3.0 issue, it worked but it would glitch from time to time during my 4 hour sets (sound would cut off for a second).

Yes, they claim that USB 3.0 is backwards compatible and can be used with USB 2.0 devices but from my experience and from other threads I've read, I don't believe it is. But I ended up buying another laptop with (3) USB 3.0 slots and (1) USB 2.0 and everything was solved.

Power Spike Issue:

I am not sure how to earth ground the sound card, how would you do that? Through the phono ground screw behind the sound card? Would I have to get a wire, wrap it around the phono ground screw and connecting it to a metal surface like a mixer?
FabulousFrequencies 7:12 PM - 5 February, 2015
Quote:
I have the NI Audio 4 DJ and it had tons of problems with the 3.0 "backward" compatibility issue.

That sort of issue would be on the maker of the chip set. I run 2.0 and 1.1 devices off my 3.0 ports all the time and it's never an issue. perhaps your issues are with non-class compliant devices and their drivers. I could only speculate.

Quote:
I am not sure how to earth ground the sound card, how would you do that? Through the phono ground screw behind the sound card? Would I have to get a wire, wrap it around the phono ground screw and connecting it to a metal surface like a mixer?

Yes. Find a piece of equipment that runs off mains and has a 3 prong power plug. The ground prong will earth ground the chassis of the device and you can use that for earth grounding other equipment. The USB jacket on a laptop only provides an isolated ground for power. Hope that helps.
DJ Edwardo30 10:22 PM - 5 February, 2015
USB 3.0

Yeah, I think is a known issue with dell computers.

Earth Ground

Thanks for the advice, I will use that method with my sound cards and test.

Thank you
Jdispain 9:40 PM - 11 February, 2015
will all of my cues and loops be lost if switch to denon?
vj tech.sys 9:45 PM - 11 February, 2015
Quote:
will all of my cues and loops be lost if switch to denon?

shouldn't be an issue.... same software, just a different "controller", if you will
gclef101 5:54 AM - 13 February, 2015
Hi is it possible to use 2 of these and get 4 deck control? That would be a great alternative to buying the Rane SL4. Thanks.
vj tech.sys 4:31 AM - 18 February, 2015
Quote:
Hi is it possible to use 2 of these and get 4 deck control? That would be a great alternative to buying the Rane SL4. Thanks.

if this unit takes off, which i'm certain it will, i'm sure we will see a couple of more SL-3 & SL-4 type of units down the road in the near future.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 9:59 AM - 18 February, 2015
Quote:

No, If you want four decks, you need one four-deck-device
dj kasper sri lanka 9:27 AM - 19 February, 2015
Im using SL1 at the moment on HID mode. can i use this unit with HID mode with CDJ family ?
vj tech.sys 12:26 AM - 20 February, 2015
Quote:
Im using SL1 at the moment on HID mode. can i use this unit with HID mode with CDJ family ?

this is an audio interface device. the software is still the same. no different from how the SL-1/2/3/4 interfaces with the software.
vj tech.sys 12:31 AM - 20 February, 2015
but wait, you're using an SL-1, which means you are using SSL, and not SDJ.
Serato DJ definitely works with the CDJ family.
dj kasper sri lanka 7:00 AM - 20 February, 2015
Quote:

Thank you very much
nikodb 12:19 PM - 21 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you very much

Not all hardware working HID on SSL is supported as HID in Serato DJ....As for the cdjs, you cannot use cdj 350 and cdj 400 in HID with Serato Dj....You cannot run SSL on this denon interface, so you will be stuck on time-codes when it comes to those cdjs and this particular interface.

Cheers
vj tech.sys 12:07 AM - 25 February, 2015
Quote:
Not all hardware working HID on SSL is supported as HID in Serato DJ....As for the cdjs, you cannot use cdj 350 and cdj 400 in HID with Serato Dj....You cannot run SSL on this denon interface, so you will be stuck on time-codes when it comes to those cdjs and this particular interface.

Cheers

my mistake... i thought that if it worked on SSL, it also worked on SDJ.
but yeah, SSL isn't being supported by this Denon box. really, i like the decision to phase SSL out. personally, i've stopped using it altogether after they got support for SDJ on the SL-4.
jasonmilsom14@talktalk.net 10:00 AM - 1 March, 2015
so just to clarify if you purchase the denon ds 1 do you then need to purchase serato dj software to use it or does it come with serato dj seeing some confusing reports if it does not come with serato dj can it be downloaded free or do i then need to buy it if so this would push price up to same level as the rane sl 2 making the denon just an alternative rather than a cheaper way into serato dj
4tea 10:03 AM - 1 March, 2015
No you don't have to purchase the software.
You can see it in the Hardware section of this website.
DS1 is DVS ready.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:19 PM - 1 March, 2015
The Denon DJ-1 is Serato DJ and DVS Enabled. It's plug-and-play.
solcal 12:05 AM - 11 March, 2015
Will the DJ S1 be compatible with "The Bridge"? I'd really like to be able to record sets directly into Ableton Live without having to connect my DJ rig to a separate computer and audio interface.
lyricalb26 5:07 PM - 29 March, 2015
What is the official release date on these badboys ???
fofo dj 10:11 AM - 30 March, 2015
ciao vorrei sapere se ce speranza che in futuro
serato dj prenda in considerazione anche il mixer denon dnx 1700
Jdispain 2:51 AM - 31 March, 2015
will you be able to record? im not seeing an AUX input
A Train 4:08 AM - 5 April, 2015
will you be able to use any control vinyl?
Jdispain 5:04 PM - 5 April, 2015
Quote:
will you be able to use any control vinyl?

it comes with control vinyl and cds. so yes...
Jdispain 5:05 PM - 5 April, 2015
id still like to know if you are going to be able to record with this...i cant find anything saying it can or cant. ive seen a few people ask this question in this discussion with zero answers about it...
NewYorksLight 10:57 PM - 5 April, 2015
Just Bought the Akai AMX controller. The AMX is USB plug and play. You can unlock DVS for an extra $100, but If i purchase a Denon DJ DS1;
1. Do I Still have to buy the DVS upgrade for the AMX?
2. Can I Use the Denon DS1 as an interface for the Akai AMX?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:27 AM - 6 April, 2015
Quote:
Just Bought the Akai AMX controller. The AMX is USB plug and play. You can unlock DVS for an extra $100, but If i purchase a Denon DJ DS1;
1. Do I Still have to buy the DVS upgrade for the AMX?
2. Can I Use the Denon DS1 as an interface for the Akai AMX?

1. Yes, buying Serato DJ enabled hardware (plug and play) doesn't give you any software licenses. It just works when connected. To use hardware that requires licenses, you need to have these.

2. You could potentially but it'd be much cheaper to just buy the DVS add-on to use the AMX without an interface and with DVS. You would also still have to have this connected as well as the DS-1 so it runs as a mixer which could cause conflicts and issues.
kmoneyu 11:26 AM - 6 April, 2015
I want to buy it how can I
vj tech.sys 6:14 PM - 6 April, 2015
Quote:
I want to buy it how can I

as soon as it goes on sale, i'm sure the Denon and Serato folks will make sure you can purchase it.
DJ COLLINZ 10:37 AM - 12 April, 2015
will the DN-HC1000S be compatible with this and SERATO DJ?
thanks!
WarpNote 4:36 PM - 13 April, 2015
Collinz, the DN-HC1000S is compatible with SDJ.
Hyjinx 4:52 PM - 15 April, 2015
When is the release date I cant even find a simple release date just keeps saying in spring!!! lol someone please get the info and let us know!!
DJ Irv 2:13 PM - 26 April, 2015
Being that the soundcard is so small maybe this unit should ship with 10" control vinyl. It only makes sense to me when you start talking about portable.
djitl 4:58 PM - 3 May, 2015
Any word on a European releasedate?
DJ_Trivial 11:26 PM - 3 May, 2015
Release date is June 1st
Hyjinx 3:49 PM - 4 May, 2015
I was looking at prices and specs and I went ahead and purchased the sl3. I am one happy DJ!!! :)
djitl 7:49 AM - 8 May, 2015
Funny thing, a dutch retailer had it at €349,- at first. I Looked again today...and now the price went up to €419,-

.... think the SL2 or SL3 will be my next purchase...
WarpNote 5:23 PM - 9 May, 2015
Its listed at both £ 229,- & £ 190,- in the UK....
ChrisDeSilva 9:17 PM - 17 May, 2015
Pre-ordered for 299,- € (Elexxxxx/Germany)!
---> Rane SL2 479,- € + 35,- € for the bag.
LNTX 11:18 AM - 20 May, 2015
Is Serato + DVS for free when you buy the DS1
or do i have to get the licenses extra ?
ChrisDeSilva 11:23 AM - 20 May, 2015
Same as Rane SL: DS1 Box = complete DVS licence + 2 Timecode-CDs + 2 Timecode-Vinyls.
Of course you can use HID with CDJs.

Anything else would be insane ;-)
LNTX 11:26 AM - 20 May, 2015
thanks ;)
vj tech.sys 9:31 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
Anything else would be insane ;-)

i wanna record the time signal to cassette, put Serato DJ in ABS mode, and play it from a bookbox
vj tech.sys 9:31 PM - 20 May, 2015
^^BOOMBOX... ugh
DeeJayIrrvansts 12:49 PM - 24 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate that reply, but a technically respectable design process wouldn't require that.

To be clear, I like Denon. I also like Numark and Akai. Have not always liked the people, but I do like the product. So I am not looking for something bad to say here. What I am looking for is specifications that companies have slowly drifted away from publishing. RANE is not shy about publishing these specifications. This includes input ranges for phono/line in Vrms, S/N, Latency, distortion, etc.

DeeJayIrrvansts 12:49 PM - 24 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Entro 2:49 PM - 27 May, 2015
The DS1 is listed at $499 here in Canada. I understand goods are more expensive here, but a 200 dollar markup? Looks like the wait for a truly budget SDJ sound card continues...
Hyjinx 4:06 AM - 30 May, 2015
Ebay people they have sl2' 3's and 4's they are better than ds1
DJ VALY 2:58 PM - 1 June, 2015
Please how can i get it if i want to buy am in nigeria and how mush is it.
DeeJayIrrvansts 10:20 AM - 10 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

DJ Lil Vito 7:32 PM - 26 June, 2015
I though the price on this was $299? Every store I see is listing at $399.
Mix Master Sage 2:37 AM - 4 July, 2015
brianbatesd 1:39 AM - 9 July, 2015
What's up with that release date though? Late July is all I'm seeing but doesn't seem ready for preorder. I'm hoping the recent SDJ update is indicative that it's shipping soon. My SL1 just died so I'm eager to get one.
SeosamhOfficial 12:07 PM - 14 August, 2015
Hello all I'm new to the forum and just discovered serato dj I did hear about serato scratch live back in 2000,s never made the switch to digital untill recent after a 5 year brake from djin I did however but brand new set of denon dns3700,s 2 years ago but still in box unopened but I discovered serato dj few weeks ago after I bought denon mc2000 midi controller and got serato intro with it but I bought serato dj 1.7.7 all running perfect with my mc2000 but what I want to know if open my new denon 3700.s can I conect to them to denon ds1 and control serato dj as I would like to scracth on the 3700.s the midi controller is good but little funny to scratch on the 3700 have vinyl platter so still get vinyl feel so would like to get them hooked up to serato dj and use it with them no more burning CDs and I don't want to not have to pick I'm to chose one or other can any one answer this question serato dj with denon dns3700.s just mixing and scratching nothing fancey I'm oldskool

Thank you
SeosamhOfficial 1:31 PM - 14 August, 2015
Oh I forgot to add I did email denon on this and they never did responded to me so any one help with this would be great
WarpNote 7:56 PM - 16 August, 2015
Quote:
can I conect to them to denon ds1 and control serato dj as I would like to scracth on the 3700.

In short, yes you can :D
SeosamhOfficial 8:00 PM - 16 August, 2015
So just to clerify serato dj denon ds1 control by dns3700,s load mp3 in serato scratxch and mix on dns3700
WarpNote 8:18 PM - 16 August, 2015
Yep, SeosamhOfficial, that's pretty much it :-)
Just connect to the mixer of your choice :-D -> serato.com
For access to cue points and loops, make sure you run SDJ in REL mode.
SeosamhOfficial 8:21 PM - 16 August, 2015
Quote:
Yep, SeosamhOfficial, that's pretty much it :-)
Just connect to the mixer of your choice :-D -> serato.com
For access to cue points and loops, make sure you run SDJ in REL mode.

Thank you so much the ds1 is £250 will get it ordered this week serato and denon has made going digital not as scary
WarpNote 8:22 PM - 16 August, 2015
Biggest part of going digital, is definitively organising your music files...
Best of luck!
randallk 11:58 AM - 31 August, 2015
Question: Given i purchase a DS1:

- I want to hook up two CDJ2000's in HID mode via USB hub to control Serato DJ. Assuming they are connected, and my DS1 is connected via USB directly into the laptop..

Would I simply have to connect two RCAs into the output of the DS1 and connect them to two separate channels on a mixer (as you would usually) in order to get audio coming through? Seeing as the CDJ's have the ability to be configured into deck 1/2 respectively.

Basically I want to eliminate the RCA inputs to the DS1 from CDJ's because HID is so much better.

Let me know your thoughts guys,

Cheers
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:32 PM - 31 August, 2015
Yes, that works randallk
randallk 2:38 PM - 31 August, 2015
Thank you for your help, Karl. Will buy one within the week and get a DDJ-SR for mobile gigs!
randallk 2:52 PM - 31 August, 2015
Also, I have heard that the DS1 comes with Serato Flip in the box. Is this true?
djdadab 2:56 AM - 1 September, 2015
How does this work with my Denon SC2900's and DN1600 mixer?
DEEJAY DANNY 408 12:27 AM - 19 September, 2015
Does it come with Serato DJ free
vj tech.sys 7:07 AM - 19 September, 2015
Quote:
Does it come with Serato DJ free

take a look....
serato.com
vj tech.sys 7:08 AM - 19 September, 2015
Quote:
Also, I have heard that the DS1 comes with Serato Flip in the box. Is this true?

serato.com
deejbee 11:40 PM - 26 October, 2015
Hey guys,
Was wondering do all versions of serato dj work with the ds1. Or do we need to start from a certain one. (using an old version of serato dj)

Thanx
vj tech.sys 12:01 AM - 27 October, 2015
Quote:
Hey guys,
Was wondering do all versions of serato dj work with the ds1. Or do we need to start from a certain one. (using an old version of serato dj)

Thanx

I would just go ahead and get the newest version if you are using the DS1 box. I'm pretty sure there are even updates for it since it came out.
deejbee 12:04 AM - 27 October, 2015
Yeah but I'm using OS 10.6 meaning the newer versions of Sdj wouldn't work on my Mac.
deejbee 7:54 AM - 27 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanx

I would just go ahead and get the newest version if you are using the DS1 box. I'm pretty sure there are even updates for it since it came out.

Yeah but I'm using OS 10.6 meaning the newer versions of Sdj wouldn't work on my Mac :(
WarpNote 8:02 AM - 27 October, 2015
If your computer is to old to run 10.10 or 10.9, I'd say its probably not powerful enough to run a version that supports the DS1...
deejbee 8:06 AM - 27 October, 2015
Quote:
If your computer is to old to run 10.10 or 10.9, I'd say its probably not powerful enough to run a version that supports the DS1...

Yeah well I'd like Denon or serato to definitely answer that question. I'm moving to 10.8 in a few days. Meaning I'll be going onto serato dj 10.7 or even 10.8 when it comes out. (not the beta one, too risky)
WarpNote 8:23 AM - 27 October, 2015
What's your computer spec deejbee?

If you want
Quote:
Denon or serato to definitely answer that question.
then you most probably will need to open a help ticket...
Serato, Support
Karl Y 10:26 AM - 27 October, 2015
DS-1 support has been added in Serato DJ 1.7.6

Older versions won't recognize the unit as a certified Serato DJ hardware
deejbee 10:45 AM - 27 October, 2015
Quote:
DS-1 support has been added in Serato DJ 1.7.6

Older versions won't recognize the unit as a certified Serato DJ hardware

Thanx Karl. Last question can the DS-1 work out of the box in HID mode with all compatible hardware? (Pioneer Cdjs....etc)
Serato, Support
Karl Y 11:07 AM - 27 October, 2015
yes.

any primary hardware supports additional use of all and any of the Official Serato Accessories

serato.com
deejbee 10:58 PM - 8 November, 2015
Karl Y
Quote:
yes.

any primary hardware supports additional use of all and any of the Official Serato Accessories

serato.com

Hey Karl tell me somthing. I tranformed my cd player (macbook 2009) into a flash SD. Thing is when I restarted my macbook on the SD hardrive my serato DJ never found my crates nor music. Then I searched for the music. and 3/4 of my music was not found. Due to maybe renaming more than haft of all my songs. And I thing I realized is that non of my new crates where being saved. What to do. Can you answer me or send me to the right forum answer. This is really annoying!!
WarpNote 8:49 AM - 9 November, 2015
@deejdbee, you need to open a help ticket -> support.serato.com
ANDroYd 3:14 AM - 8 December, 2015
Hi There,

Does anyone know if this is a class-compliant sound card? As in it works with no driver install. Wondering if it will work on an iOS device (with power USB hub to provide power).

Cheers
Serato, Support
Karl Y 1:03 PM - 21 December, 2015
its class compliant, yes.
Dj Flex London 3:09 PM - 10 January, 2016
i have a problem with my ds1 plz if anyone can help that would be great. in serrate dj i can't record with the ds1. it keeps coming up as channel 1 and channel 2. am i doing something wrong in the setup?

thanks you

Flex
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:38 PM - 10 January, 2016
Hey there, that's normal behaviour. You are not able to record a mix with the DS-1 as there's no actual mixed output in the device (all mixing is done externally in your mixer). You can only record either channel.

Check out this guide for recording using an SL 1 / SL 2 which should be similar: serato.com

Cheers,

Sam.
mined 12:11 PM - 19 February, 2016
All this 'enabled' 'ready' etc. is confusing, If i buy a DVS device like the DS1 (which i have) why does it not include a full licence so I can use it with my other controllers or a club set up?

I had a nasty surprise when I turned up to a club and 'purchase DVS' popped up on the screen when i plugged in. This is not fully explained on the website or in the product manual... it should say "DVS licence is for this devise only" at the minimum.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 6:14 PM - 19 February, 2016
Hey mined.

The device is "DVS enabled".
In other words it enables the feature for itself, but not for other hardware.

How would you word it? Keen to hear your feedback there, as we tried to make it clear as possible

Karl
mined 1:23 PM - 21 February, 2016
Quote:
Hey mined.

The device is "DVS enabled".
In other words it enables the feature for itself, but not for other hardware.

How would you word it? Keen to hear your feedback there, as we tried to make it clear as possible

Karl

It should say "DVS licence is for this devise only"... I know it's not as catchy but it's really clear. Maybe licences could say 'single devise' or 'any devise'?

I actually asked the reseller when purchasing my DS1 if it included DVS as I was unsure what 'enabled' meant, and he said "yes it's the full version" so there is lack of clarity through the chain to the customer.

As a DJ who started on vinyl in the 90's I am interested in finding the right modern solution for me, this involved testing new hardware and different software etc. Which was easy with all vendors except Serato
D.J. Tommy 8:51 AM - 21 March, 2016
I'm a SSL user from 2005 my box is from 09-05 one of the first.
I thought to switch to Serato DJ after 11 years, so i went for the Denon DS-1.
Because of it's small size, and it's normal price, here in The Netherlands €349.
I did a gig and got irritated with the sound when using it.
Every file sounded like a sort of bad encoded file, the transients in the high frequencies are not good, there is not enough definition) even with high quality FLAC and AIFF, WAV to be short Lossless files.
First i thought this could be the Serato DJ audio engine, i was used to SSL.
But after testing at home a/b with my RME Fireface 400 with good quality produced tracks (Funk Soul Hip-Hop Dance) on AIFF WAV and FLAC it became apparent that the problem is with the DS-1 and not the Serato DJ audio engine.
The resolution and transients in the high frequency spectrum are not good on the DS-1, there is not enough definition in the high end spectrum!
And there is no excuse that what you pay for is what you get, high hats etc. sound dull and smutted on it!
I'm a audio DJ Producer & technician by profession and i'm curious what the experience of other users are. As is i am going to return this unit.
vj tech.sys 6:07 AM - 22 March, 2016
Thanks for the review
Dj Flex London 9:40 PM - 31 March, 2016
thank you it was a great help all all is working now
richard langarica 1:56 AM - 1 June, 2016
how many cue points
The Real Dj Danger 3:18 AM - 3 June, 2016
Quote:
I'm a SSL user from 2005 my box is from 09-05 one of the first.
I thought to switch to Serato DJ after 11 years, so i went for the Denon DS-1.
Because of it's small size, and it's normal price, here in The Netherlands €349.
I did a gig and got irritated with the sound when using it.
Every file sounded like a sort of bad encoded file, the transients in the high frequencies are not good, there is not enough definition) even with high quality FLAC and AIFF, WAV to be short Lossless files.
First i thought this could be the Serato DJ audio engine, i was used to SSL.
But after testing at home a/b with my RME Fireface 400 with good quality produced tracks (Funk Soul Hip-Hop Dance) on AIFF WAV and FLAC it became apparent that the problem is with the DS-1 and not the Serato DJ audio engine.
The resolution and transients in the high frequency spectrum are not good on the DS-1, there is not enough definition in the high end spectrum!
And there is no excuse that what you pay for is what you get, high hats etc. sound dull and smutted on it!
I'm a audio DJ Producer & technician by profession and i'm curious what the experience of other users are. As is i am going to return this unit.

I have had my units a couple of months, the last gig i did in a club, one of my best friends, brought in one of his systems, owns the largest sound company in the state, did a huge sound stage, at the EDM festival in vegas last year.

His opinion, was that the sound quality was excellent, and I was using mp3's. He has Rane mixers, he rents out, and said, in his opinion, sounded every bit as clean. you know how these things go though, 2 people buy the exact same thing, and they sound like 2 different items.

I am happy with mine.
Density 2:33 PM - 2 August, 2016
HELP!!
I bought a DS1 about 2 months ago, using it with an HP laptop and Windows 10.

Serato's playhead freezes after about 5 minutes and the sound with cut out, the only way to fix is un plug the usb and plug in again. The rest of serato is fine, just the tracks wont play. Does it in relative, absolute, internal AND thru mode when im on vinyl!!!

Sometimes I can run Audacity recording in the background thru an external usb soundcard, using a usb wireless mouse and get hours of play, then other times it will freeze within 2 minutes, repeatedly...

Ive tried everything like disabling usb powr management, screensavers, firewalls, wifi, running Serato in a higher priority in task manager, different usb buffer amounts etc...

Anyone got any advice? My store wont help me with a warranty so im stuck trying to make my $480 paperweight actually work as an audio interface...
Density 3:19 PM - 2 August, 2016
So!

turns out my HP laptop has an AMD processor, this is the problem...
mr.cq 2:23 PM - 6 February, 2017
does somebody know how to record a set with the ds1 turntables relax rmx22 i and serato dj ?
mr.cq 2:23 PM - 6 February, 2017
Quote:
does somebody know how to record a set with the ds1 turntables relax rmx22 i and serato dj ?

*reloop rmxi 22