Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

2015: what computer/software to get for video editing?

DJMark 12:51 AM - 7 January, 2015
Been using FCP, and more recently FCP X on Mac. I know FCP X has its detractors but beyond the first few versions it actually works pretty well. The main issue I have is that rendering with some effects on a MacBook Pro seriously heats up the computer (I see 99C commonly), and I don't much like the idea of risking catastrophic hardware failure on the computer I DJ with several nights a week.

So I'm torn between spending pretty big $ on a Mac Pro (one could say these machines are purpose built for FCP X), or building a comparably-powered Windows 7 PC and migrating over to something like Premier or Sony Vegas.

I like the Mac Pro's hardware design/thermal management, built-in Thunderbolt connectivity, definitely prefer Mac OS X over Windows. And there's now replacement PCI-E SSD's up to 2 TB one can soon get from OWC to put into the Mac Pro.

I don't like (other than RAM and now finally the SSD) the complete lack of internal upgrade/expandability. The hardware is now nearly 2 years old (was already a CPU/GPU generation behind when first released) and is expensive compared to what I can buy if I build a PC.

What do you guys think?
Code:E 1:51 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:

or building a comparably-powered Windows 7 PC and migrating over to something like Premier or Sony Vegas.
What do you guys think?

Well I know this isn't common, But what about a hackintosh? I have built a couple now. And OSX10.10 is apparently super easy (though I haven't done it). If you want a home PC, I would go Hackintosh without a question. Set it up for dual boot so you can run windows or OSX if you like. You can get a PCI-E SSD for a Hackintosh. And you will spend less money.
DJMark 1:58 AM - 7 January, 2015
Hackintosh isn't out of the question, but I don't want to dump a crapload of time into something I intend to use for getting work done as efficiently as possible. Also my understanding is that you're limited to a fairly limited selection of hardware (mainboards, gpu's) with a hackintosh setup...and little "issues" like flaky networking/sound seem pretty common.

Honestly I'm liking OS X less and less, and for this purpose I'm not too hung up on what OS is running.
DJ DisGrace 2:01 AM - 7 January, 2015
I've dabbled with FCP, but Vegas has been my go-to for many years now. When re-formatting my MBP a few months ago, I went with the Bootcamp option over Parallels. The performance I get with Bootcamp/Vegas is miles ahead of what I was getting using Parallels. It's kind of a pain to have to reboot to back and forth, but the performance is great and I'm most comfortable using Vegas. It will be my configuration for the forseeable future.
DJ Baby Boy 7:25 AM - 7 January, 2015
DJ Mark instead of going the macpro route or hakintosh route why not go for an imac? I bought my imac specifically for that and couldn't be happier nice big screen, fast and I have externals hooked up for more storage since it stays stationary it's the perfect solution for me ... Just a though and hope it helps ... BTW I'm running FCPX for editing
DJMark 7:38 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
DJ Mark instead of going the macpro route or hakintosh route why not go for an imac?

iMacs are lovely, I still use my 2010 model with the older version of FCP. I will still use it with a new machine in target display mode until 4K or higher resolution monitors get more reasonably priced and have fewer problems.

However: upgrading drives in that machine was several very un-fun hours of work, and the newer models are even more difficult to work on (literally glued together like an iPhone or iPad). The thought of spending $4,000+ on the highest-end Retina iMac and not being able to even be able to open it for routine cleaning really bothers me. At least if when a Mac Pro gets dust inside it can be cleaned out.
DJMark 7:39 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
I've dabbled with FCP, but Vegas has been my go-to for many years now.

What is it you like about Vegas better compared with FCP?
DJ Baby Boy 8:11 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
and not being able to even be able to open it for routine cleaning really bothers me.

That is something that bothers me as well is not being able to open it up to clean it out but I'm still overly happy with it and it's been running great without even so much as a hiccup in about two years
DJ DisGrace 10:46 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I've dabbled with FCP, but Vegas has been my go-to for many years now.

What is it you like about Vegas better compared with FCP?

I just find it more intuitive. I used Sound Forge and Acid for years before getting into video, so Vegas was the natural transition.
Code:E 7:18 PM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
Also my understanding is that you're limited to a fairly limited selection of hardware (mainboards, gpu's) with a hackintosh setup...and little "issues" like flaky networking/sound seem pretty common.

Well there are some limits, but the limits are easy to work within. As for flaky issues I see those seem to happen when you don't use recommened parts. Your biggest limitation is the MOBO, which means you buy a Gigabyte MOBO.

I do like the iMAc suggestion as well. I have a photog frind who built a top end imac (gen before the 5k display came out) and he loves.

If you want to look into the hack route go here. www.tonymacx86.com and just pick from the hardware they have listed. Very few if any problems.
Taipanic 3:34 PM - 8 January, 2015
Also, in regards to your overheating issues make sure you are using SMC Fan control. Whenever I am doing any sort of CPU intensive processing I have the fans turned up all the way.
DJMark 10:21 PM - 8 January, 2015
Not only do I use SMC Fan Control and use it to crank up the fans when rendering, I also have tried an aluminum laptop stand with two powerful fans that blow upward right under the CPU/GPU/heatsinks.

Even with all that, I can easily hit the 90's (Celsius) when rendering with efffects in FCP X.

Anyone have any insights as to how difficult a transition one might have going from FCP/FCP X to Sony Vegas?
SBDJ 7:16 PM - 9 January, 2015
I can't imagine you'd struggle at all. Personally I actually prefer Vegas.
DJMark 1:41 AM - 10 January, 2015
What video format are you guys using to edit in Vegas? I mean, which is optimal (quality/speed/real-time rendering etc)?
DJ DisGrace 2:41 AM - 10 January, 2015
When I was using DVD rips for edits, I'd use the uncompressed .avi after deinterlacing and such. To be honest I'm not editing much these days, mostly using it for creating remux audio files, or chopping mp4 movie rips. You can adjust preview settings depending on the format used, but even with mp4 I get pretty real time preview results with a 2011 MBP
popnwave 4:24 AM - 14 January, 2015
As much as I enjoy FCPX now that I've learned it (along with only having to plunk down cash once and not subscribe etc like I did with Premiere), I kinda think a NON 4K editing PC rig is a ton cheaper to build and maintain. Right now I edit on my MacBook as well and am going to plunk down for a nice big IPS monitor soon after chopping up video on this 15" has finally gotten too annoying.
DJMark 1:45 AM - 24 January, 2015
Making a rather long story short: I ended up getting a "retina" iMac for video editing (basically a maxxed out configuration with the upgraded CPU and GPU, and a 1tb internal SSD). Figured at least the most failure-prone component (mechanical hard drive) should not be inside that very difficult to open case. It also came with free Applecare. Also put in 32gb of RAM from OWC. So far, no complaints. The screen is awesome to work on in FCPX and everything else.

I can confirm that doing the same sorts of stuff in FCPX that was heating up my "latest and greatest" retina MBP to scary temperatures is NOT overheating the iMac. The kind of renders with effects where I was seeing the CPU hitting 99C on the MBP are heating the iMac CPU to 55-60C. Using the app "temperature gauge" I can see the iMac's R9 M295X GPU getting into the low 80's when FCPX is hitting it hard. Warm but well within safe operating parameters. The iMac's fan is normally nice and quiet....sped up all the way with SMC Fan Control, it's audible but not anything I'd call obnoxious.

There were three main options I was prepared to choose from: this iMac, a Mac Pro, or building my own box and running Windows 7 (obviously that would have required migrating to Vegas or Premier). After trying both Vegas and Premier, I finally decided that for editing music videos there was no real gain from either, compared with FCPX. Always good to have a look at other options though, and I don't regret the considerable time I spent doing that.
Dj Nyce 7:02 AM - 26 January, 2015
damn. and i was just about to suggest a liquid cooled 8-core purring at an overclock of 4.9 (fuck it 5.0) with 32 gb ram. #premiereproftw
djpuma_gemini 10:00 PM - 27 January, 2015
My 2011 macbook pro running windows via parallels can edit pretty quick with vegas.