Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Offline mode improvement needed

prandawg 2:48 PM - 12 December, 2014
I have a pioneer ddj-sx and since i have had it i have been using it with serato. Originally their were many reasons why i prefered traktor to serato but as serato dj has improved there is only one fatal flaw in the software that is a huge hinderence to work flow. The fact that you cannot check your song's beatgrid in offline mode. Their is no point in having a mode for preparing tracks if you cannot check if the tracks are prepared properly. Since traktor gives me automatic full feature access without hardware i can always check my tracks beatgrid by syncing it to other tracks. Since i cannot do this in serato beatgridding takes far longer. I AM NOT asking you to add full deck access. If you added a feature such as a metronome that could play over the track to check the beat grid, or a kick drum that would sync to the detected tempo of the track then serato would be a much more attractive software for many. Now if you could somehow find it in your heart to add a second deck with no mixing cabapility that could be used to check beatgrids that would be great too
deejdave 4:04 AM - 13 December, 2014
I get what you are asking for. I am just curious on the reason. Checking the accuracy of your beat grids is as simple as seeing if they match up with the beats. I meant it is literally as simpe as counting.

1,2,3,BEAT GRID,1,2,3,BEAT GRID,1,2,3,BEAT GRID................ Not trying to be a smart ass or anything I am just curious if there is something I am maybe missing here.
prandawg 8:44 PM - 13 December, 2014
Quote:
I get what you are asking for. I am just curious on the reason. Checking the accuracy of your beat grids is as simple as seeing if they match up with the beats. I meant it is literally as simpe as counting.

1,2,3,BEAT GRID,1,2,3,BEAT GRID,1,2,3,BEAT GRID................ Not trying to be a smart ass or anything I am just curious if there is something I am maybe missing here.

You are completely right, Beatgridding should be that simple, however with songs that are very full often you get a huge block of waveform and it is very hard to discern the kick drum. Also counting is not completely accurate. Often the problem is not that the beatgrid is completely inaccurate, it is that it is just a tiny bit off which makes a world of difference when using beat synced effects and the slicer.
deejdave 10:38 PM - 13 December, 2014
Absolutely. What I do is ensure the first 16 (or so ) are perfect then go to like 64 and check/adjust then go to the end of the song and check/adjust.

Again NOT trying to take away from your request as it's YOUR request and you have every right to make it. I am just giving some insight on what I do is all :)
prandawg 11:12 PM - 13 December, 2014
Quote:
Absolutely. What I do is ensure the first 16 (or so ) are perfect then go to like 64 and check/adjust then go to the end of the song and check/adjust.

Again NOT trying to take away from your request as it's YOUR request and you have every right to make it. I am just giving some insight on what I do is all :)

Yeah! that does work but having this feature would speed up beatgridding immensly.

With traktor pro beatridding is super fast because i have two decks unlocked. I have a four beat loop running constantly and i literally

1. Load Track
2. press sync,
3. If track is not matched up tap button four times
4. Scroll to end of song, is song still in sync? good next track.
This is all from my laptop.

In serato:
1. Load song,
2. tap button to find out accurate bpm.
3. Study waveforms. is beatmarker on beat? is it that way for the whole song?
4. adjust beatgrid,to match waveforms visually
5. Use hot cues on random parts of the song to test beatgrid accuracy.
6. Hope for the best.
deejdave 11:27 PM - 13 December, 2014
Certainly does sound excessive. SDJ gets the beat grid right for about 90% of my tracks. Whatever isn't right.

1.) Select song
2.) Check 4 beats in...... if right go to end of song DONE. If wrong......
3.) Fix then go to (about 64 beats) adjust.
4.) go to end of song.......... adjust.
5.) Done............. NEVER have to even check as it is literally impossible to be off.

The only times this becomes anything over 30 seconds is when there is a BPM shift in the track.

The thing is I fully cue & label ALL my songs (Have about 40,000 songs done so far) so I do all beat gridding at the same time.

BTW I use N.I. SSL Database Importer to SYNC my Traktor collection. I then use Rekord Buddy to SYNC Traktor to Rekordbox. In short ALL my cues (as well as beat grids, loops, etc.) match from Serato>Traktor>Rekordbox.......... and now even VDJ being VDJ reads Serato cues. All the magic starts in Serato for me though.

I think the reason they don't do the dual deck is people would essentially be able to use SDJ FULL without even having the necessary hardware. That is unless they started using keys & licenses like Traktor & VDJ use................ but then there are obvious other evils unfortunately.

Ya never know though............. good luck. Hopefully the Serato guys will give you an answer either way.
prandawg 11:31 PM - 13 December, 2014
Quote:
Certainly does sound excessive. SDJ gets the beat grid right for about 90% of my tracks. Whatever isn't right.

1.) Select song
2.) Check 4 beats in...... if right go to end of song DONE. If wrong......
3.) Fix then go to (about 64 beats) adjust.
4.) go to end of song.......... adjust.
5.) Done............. NEVER have to even check as it is literally impossible to be off.

The only times this becomes anything over 30 seconds is when there is a BPM shift in the track.

The thing is I fully cue & label ALL my songs (Have about 40,000 songs done so far) so I do all beat gridding at the same time.

BTW I use N.I. SSL Database Importer to SYNC my Traktor collection. I then use Rekord Buddy to SYNC Traktor to Rekordbox. In short ALL my cues (as well as beat grids, loops, etc.) match from Serato>Traktor>Rekordbox.......... and now even VDJ being VDJ reads Serato cues. All the magic starts in Serato for me though.

I think the reason they don't do the dual deck is people would essentially be able to use SDJ FULL without even having the necessary hardware. That is unless they started using keys & licenses like Traktor & VDJ use................ but then there are obvious other evils unfortunately.

Ya never know though............. good luck. Hopefully the Serato guys will give you an answer either way.

REALLY!?!? i had no idea you could sync libraries like that. Can i sync from traktor to serato? almost all of my tracks have hot cues and such int raktor. But that is a really cool thing because that means i don't necessarily have to pick one of the two softwares
deejdave 11:41 PM - 13 December, 2014
Unfortunately this is currently ONE way. From Serato to Traktor. The good news is Traktor to Rekordbox is two way. The catch with EVERYTHING here is it is for Mac ONLY.

HERE comes the great news though. Our own Damien Serken (here at the forums) is the creator of Rekord Buddy and he is working on version 2.0 which will now go BOTH ways as well as include Serato so NO N.I. SSL Database software needed. Rekord Buddy will be the ALL-IN-One software to SYNC all crates & subcrates (Playlists & folders for TP2 & RB) as well as all beat grids, cue points, loops, etc. between Traktor, Rekordbox & Serato in ANY direction.

This is the website for Rekord Buddy nextaudiolabs.com

Keep your eyes on THIS thread serato.com as well for news on version 2.0 which will again now include Serato. Somewhere down the line he MAY release a version for Windows but he is not certain of that as the demand is not as high.

This stuff is great though huh? This would literally solve ALL your issues as well as (as you said) allow you to set your grids or do any other editing in one software then have the 100% freedom to use the collection in ANY software of your choice.

Oh yeah best of all is it just does tagging so no duplicate files or anything needed.
DJwhizkid 1:30 AM - 14 December, 2014
This method for editing beat grids is working with specific genres where the BPM is steady throughout the track, yet with songs that have a BPM that changes (rubato) some steady beat (metronome) is very helpful and in some cases even essential.
prandawg 4:33 AM - 14 December, 2014
Another question. In serato it is really hard to set loops in the track because they are not snapped to the beatgrid. How can i do autoloop and have it snapped to the beatgrid?
prandawg 12:53 AM - 17 December, 2014
DJwhizkid, I COMPLETELY AGREE.

DEJAYDAVE

Getting the basic beatgrid set is not hard in serato. But when you press the sync button you will notice a slight click when it plays over another track. That is because the beat markers are just a TINY fraction offbeat.

Now in traktor pro. if this is the case. i need only click a tap button 4 times and my beatgrids will be 100% gucci.

In serato i need to slide the beatgrid a little bit and since serato does not zoom in on the waveforms enough like traktor, i can't properly see what i'm doing so this becomes a game of hit and miss. Today i spent 2 hours trying to get a perfect beatgrid for a 128 bpm house song with no tempo change.
I had to keep sliding, adjusting, clearing trying again, until i finally got that grid on point.
For some reason when i use the tap button in serato, it never sets the grid properly! it will be on in the section where i pressed the tap button but totally off elsewhere!.

2 HOURS to beatgrid a track! 2 HOURS! it was just a little smidge of grid, but it took me two hours to finally get it correct. In traktor this would've taken 5 secs max.
deejdave 1:23 AM - 17 December, 2014
Well two hours I admit is excessive. At that point I would have just placed the beat markers all by hand. Go to the area the beat it supposed to be at and press X (WITH quantize on) and it will 9/10 place the beat right where it should be. Keep repeating (which goes faster than one would think) for a while then average it out for the rest which SOMEtimes works but I HAVE had to go ahead and do all the beat markers before.

I mean if there are huge voids where this becomes a regular thing I suppose you guys have a point. The thing is personally I have not come across this issue often by any means. Got a pretty huge collection of 90K+ tracks fully beat gridded (45K are cue and labeled with a cue point color system) and ready to go. I do most genres as well as sub genres. If this came up often I would be the first in line asking for this as well. As I said though I generally only have issues with Reggae (and all sub genres of reggae Calypso, Soca, dancehall etc.) & SOME Latin but then again these have been the most questionable & undependable file types I have come in contact with from the beginning. Just goes with the territory I suppose.

Anyways point being just because I don't personally experience these issues don't let me get in the way of your feature request. I suppose I was merely curious as to how real this issue really is for you but apparently it is indeed VERY real................. carry on and good luck.

BOTTOM line is this could NOT hurt in any way end even if it benefits me once that is good enough for me :)
prandawg 8:00 PM - 19 December, 2014
@DeejDave

I figured out a fix to this. THe reason why my beatgrids go off is because often the software detects a 128 bpm track as a 127.99 and the library just rounds it up when i look at it. This is convinient and all but that .1 difference is just enough to make the beatgrid go off by the end of the song. What i do now is manually enter/correct the bpm for each track.
deejdave 9:26 PM - 19 December, 2014
Nicely done!! Good find too. Where did you get the exact BPM from?
prandawg 9:33 PM - 19 December, 2014
Quote:
Nicely done!! Good find too. Where did you get the exact BPM from?

If you dj with mostly electronic music like i do. You know that No producer is ever going to sit down in a DAW and set the bpm to 127.99 or 126.45
Its almost always going to be a solid number unless its a radio edit, a mashup, or a remix.

If the beatgrid goes off, first i press the tap button to get a general bpm. Then i round up or down to the nearest whole number. Often the software already has a pretty good idea of the bpm so ill just adjust it till i get a whole number. Serato should really start to display the decimal points in the library view. These are important and make a vast difference in the phasing of the grid.
deejdave 5:40 AM - 20 December, 2014
Quote:
If you dj with mostly electronic music like i do. You know that No producer is ever going to sit down in a DAW and set the bpm to 127.99 or 126.45
Its almost always going to be a solid number unless its a radio edit, a mashup, or a remix.

Agreed. I was curious if you used alternate software or finite method to get the BPM down to the T.