DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Going through airport security with dj equipment

Salvadoreno-DJ-Junior 1:42 AM - 12 December, 2014
I was wondering since this is my first time traveling on a plane with my dj controller which is the Numark mixtrack pro 2, will it be something security will question me about or can i just leave it in my bag or do i need to put it on a tray. I will also be taking my laptop and external hard drive with me so im not sure how to go through security with those 3 items without any problems.. if you respond thanks!
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:46 AM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
I was wondering since this is my first time traveling on a plane with my dj controller which is the Numark mixtrack pro 2, will it be something security will question me about or can i just leave it in my bag or do i need to put it on a tray. I will also be taking my laptop and external hard drive with me so im not sure how to go through security with those 3 items without any problems.. if you respond thanks!

Be careful, if you get caught traveling with a numark mixtrack pro you could be arrested for impersonating a dj!
R-Tistic 12:52 PM - 12 December, 2014
They always look at it, but I haven't had any problems.

You'll face the most problems if you go through customs coming back into America with it....customs can be complete asses when it comes to anything electronic. Leaving Morocco, they almost made me plug the mixer up just to prove that it was a working mixer and not a blowtation device.
Salvadoreno-DJ-Junior 12:55 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
They always look at it, but I haven't had any problems.

You'll face the most problems if you go through customs coming back into America with it....customs can be complete asses when it comes to anything electronic. Leaving Morocco, they almost made me plug the mixer up just to prove that it was a working mixer and not a blowtation device.

Ohh alright thanks man lmao hopefully they dont make me plug it in and stuff lol
Laz219 2:27 PM - 12 December, 2014
One of the advantages of the whole 'everyone is a DJ' fad....I can walk through security with a million cables, a solid metal laptop stand (that I'm sure is worse than many weapons) and they just wave me through. (probably thinking...bet he just torrented VDJ)
My camera gear gets more questions than any DJ stuff now.
DJ Ness Nice 4:29 PM - 12 December, 2014
Have no problem traveling with my DDJ-SX. Traveled multiple times. I use a CRANE HARDWARE Universal Hard/Soft Case. Only issue is with overhead bin space. There were 2 times i had to gate check it. 1 time TSA asked me to open it so they can check it, but besides that no issues..

Out of the country i can see it being a slight issue goin through customs, they will sometimes think you purchased it where you were and try to charge you taxes to return with it..
DJ VEE 5:14 PM - 12 December, 2014
Take a copy if the receipt with you, proving you bought it at home. Might even have the serial number on the receipt, making it that much easier. Usually, with customs, of they see that you are prepared and they would put in effort without a good chance of catching someone trying to smuggle something on, they might pick an easier target.
DJ Remy USA 5:28 PM - 12 December, 2014
its annoying if you are going to be traveling a lot with DJ gear its a good idea to pay for the TSA pre cleared line so you dont have to take all of your gear out. I did it earlier this year and it makes airport security a breeze cause you dont have to take out anything or take off anything.

TSA Pre Cleared
Daktyl 8:43 PM - 12 December, 2014
Where are you going? If traveling internationally, be prepared to answer questions about work visas when you go through customs on the other side. Doesn't always happen, but it happens often enough.
boabmatic 12:47 PM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
One of the advantages of the whole 'everyone is a DJ' fad....I can walk through security with a million cables, a solid metal laptop stand (that I'm sure is worse than many weapons) and they just wave me through. (probably thinking...bet he just torrented VDJ)
My camera gear gets more questions than any DJ stuff now.

My Serato Laptop stand got flagged up in Estonia at security, luckily the friend I was staying with was still in the airport and I got him to mail it back to me as my bags were already checked into the hold.

The strange thing was that I traveled with it in the same carry on bag through Security in Scotland and Amsterdam without anybody even questioning it but they stopped me with it on the way back.

The guy at security in Amsterdam did ask what my TTm57 was for, when I said DJin.. all he replied was " aaah like tiesto" and waved me though :)
Salvadoreno-DJ-Junior 12:55 PM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
its annoying if you are going to be traveling a lot with DJ gear its a good idea to pay for the TSA pre cleared line so you dont have to take all of your gear out. I did it earlier this year and it makes airport security a breeze cause you dont have to take out anything or take off anything.

TSA Pre Cleared

Wow alright ill think of tht
Salvadoreno-DJ-Junior 12:57 PM - 17 December, 2014
Also i just got a 2 tb seagate hard drive filled with music to the max! If i pass it through security i heard it might wipe out the data in it is it true? If it is do you think it is better to send to througha bag where i dont bring it in the plane my self
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:55 PM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
Also i just got a 2 tb seagate hard drive filled with music to the max! If i pass it through security i heard it might wipe out the data in it is it true?

Depends, did the HD come with music or did you put it on there?
Salvadoreno-DJ-Junior 3:12 PM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Also i just got a 2 tb seagate hard drive filled with music to the max! If i pass it through security i heard it might wipe out the data in it is it true?

Depends, did the HD come with music or did you put it on there?

I actually put it in the hd earlier this week
Laz219 1:58 PM - 19 December, 2014
X-ray will not affect a HDD at all, consider how many laptops are put through security every day- if it was a problem, you'd know about it.
Papa Midnight 4:46 AM - 20 December, 2014
Quote:
Also i just got a 2 tb seagate hard drive filled with music to the max! If i pass it through security i heard it might wipe out the data in it is it true? If it is do you think it is better to send to througha bag where i dont bring it in the plane my self

Passing a Hard Drive through the X-Ray at an Airport security checkpoint will not cause it any harm.

Taking it through the Metal Detector on the other hand...

But hey, it's a Seagate. How much more risk can you take? :P
Salvadoreno-DJ-Junior 3:53 PM - 20 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Passing a Hard Drive through the X-Ray at an Airport security checkpoint will not cause it any harm.

Taking it through the Metal Detector on the other hand...

But hey, it's a Seagate. How much more risk can you take? :P

LMAO alright thanks guys really needed to know it since i gotta take the plane in 5 hrs
DJ Species 10:39 AM - 10 August, 2019
Good news! When you travel, your DDJ-SX may or may not be considered an instrument, but as long as it follows the airline criteria, you won’t likely have to check your gear. That said, it’s always a good idea to read up on each airline, as their guidelines can vary widely. Luckily, carrier websites usually list the specifics. travelsites.com