Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Morse Code in 1.7.2 (K.I.N.G)

SteGx 5:58 PM - 9 December, 2014
Hello there.

Is there a problem with the new update and morse code ?
I try to put it many times and always says (ohhhhh not quite...Tap the KING...)
in version 1.6.3 works perfect !!

Thank you.
papagp 8:30 PM - 9 December, 2014
Works well in me
SteGx 10:46 AM - 10 December, 2014
Hello again

I have both versions 1.6.3 and 1.7.2 for testing and in 1.7.2 still have this problem.
Is there anyone else to try it and share it with us ??
I'm on Mavericks (10.9.5) MBP 2010.

Thank you again.
Mikkel Thomsen 3:33 PM - 10 December, 2014
I also have problems with the king on 1.7.2
Serato
Geoff.B 9:14 PM - 10 December, 2014
Hi SteGx and Mikkel. If you enter just dashes until you get the "Ohhhhh not quite... Tap the KING..." message, can you then enter the sequence and enable Buffer King?
Mikkel Thomsen 9:18 PM - 10 December, 2014
I have to close serato and open it again to try to start over.. When i press dash it says. You are almost the K .. It says that before i press dash dot dash
Serato
Geoff.B 10:00 PM - 10 December, 2014
Well, it does tend to be a bit finicky. You can actually reset the entry sequence by doing about a one second long press and then release while holding down the keyboard modifiers. That way it's neither a dash or a dot.

After reset, you should be able to directly enter the code: dash dot dash / dot dot / dash dot / dash dash dot.

Beware of timing. A dot is between 25 and 200 milliseconds (basically just a normal click but not too short), and a dash is between 200 and 450 milliseconds (hold for about the length of time it takes to say "pancake"). If you do not get the right timing, it will do the "ooh, not quite" thing and you have to re-enter the code from the beginning.

Saying this, I have just found an issue where the Buffer King state isn't always set up correctly when the program is started. I have just implemented a fix for that, but obviously it's too late for the 1.7.2 release. Doing the long-press before entering the code should get around this.
SteGx 10:02 PM - 10 December, 2014
Hello Geoff.B and Mikkel... I have the same issue exactly like Mikkel ! I wait some time and when i start over again it says always "Ohhhhh not quite... Tap the KING..."
Serato
Geoff.B 10:08 PM - 10 December, 2014
Hi SteGx,

Unfortunately, just waiting for a period of time does not reset the state of the sequence. Since this was a casual easter egg rather than an official feature, it is a bit simple. So you need to do that long press I mentioned above to reset the code entry state.

Basically, whenever it says "ohhh not quite", then the NEXT click will be the start of the sequence again. If you think Buffer King should be an official feature and more easily accessible, make sure you post about it in the Feature Requests forum =)

Hope this helps.

-g-
SteGx 10:14 PM - 10 December, 2014
Thank you very much !! Before i use ITCH that you just press the SHIFT/ALT/CMD & CLICK and automatically enabled. In DJ version you need to add it manually. Why is that ? Any way,i roll back to 1.6.3 that works perfect and i wait for an update !

Thank you again !
pdidy 11:05 PM - 10 December, 2014
Quote:
for those that are unfamilar with the KING mode easter egg.....Watchwww.youtube.com

serato.com

Yes its very hard to do.
Mikkel Thomsen 11:09 PM - 10 December, 2014
I just tryed on my imac.. Running serato 1.6.2 and there it was not a problem to type king :)
pdidy 11:11 PM - 10 December, 2014
Quote:
I just tryed on my imac.. Running serato 1.6.2 and there it was not a problem to type king :)

i.imgur.com
Serato
Geoff.B 11:20 PM - 10 December, 2014
That video suggests it's a bit more complicated than it is. You don't have to release the Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys between each letter. Just hold them down and Tap the King.

He also made a comment about releasing the keys before trying again. This is incorrect. Check my posts above about how you know when the sequence is reset.

Lastly, I'll reiterate that there is an issue with Buffer King after first starting Serato DJ. I have fixed it just now, and it should be in our next release. Until then try using the long-press trick to reset it, then Tap the King.
SteGx 11:21 PM - 10 December, 2014
Sorry for my typo before .. ITCH command was SHIFT/CTRL/ALT CLICK .

pdidy i try to say in new version of serato 1.7.2 it's not working and stuck always on "Ohhhhh not quite... Tap the KING..." .. In older versions works without problems !
And by the way,why should i need every time to do this combination to enable it ? It's better to have it in options panel to enable/diasble it and that's it. In ITCH just one click and that's it !
Serato
Geoff.B 11:31 PM - 10 December, 2014
Quote:
in new version of serato 1.7.2 it's not working and stuck always on "Ohhhhh not quite... Tap the KING..."

Experiment with your timing. It's a bit sensitive. Every time you get a click right, it should say "Dot!" or "Dash!" in the status bar, or inform you that you just got another letter.

Quote:
In ITCH just one click and that's it !

ITCH is a completely different code base. Not all code from there came across into Serato DJ, for whatever reason that easy shortcut didn't make it in. The morse code stuff may have been re-implemented, rather than ported. Easter Egg functionality is not defined in our test procedures, so there was no definition to say whether SDJ's implementation was "correct".

The argument against the difficulty of activating Buffer King is quite valid, but is also a separate discussion.
Mikkel Thomsen 11:35 PM - 10 December, 2014
I dont get any dash! Or dot! .... And i have tryed many times.. First time i type dash the yellow bar says you are almost the K.. And then ohhh not quite .. Tap the king.. The status bar never shows dash! Or dot! As in previous versions :)
SteGx 11:41 PM - 10 December, 2014
Geoff.B thank you for information about ITCH and DJ code. I Don't like bomb the post. But answer me something ! Do we need more or less time to add the code in 1.7.2 ?Because in older versions 1.6.0 .1.6.1 1.6.2 etc.. You just add the dash dot dash,dot dot,dash dot,dash dash dot,and that's it. One time and only (or two or three etc if you go fast)!!
In this version WE GET ALWAYS you are almost the K.. And then "ohhh not quite .. Tap the king".

Regards
Serato
Geoff.B 12:59 AM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
First time i type dash the yellow bar says you are almost the K.. And then ohhh not quite .. Tap the king..

Okay, that's the first time around, which we already agree is a problem. So then if you do a dash-dot-dash immediately after that "not quite" message, what happens?

Quote:
Do we need more or less time to add the code in 1.7.2 ?

It really should be the same. There have been no changes to Buffer King in Serato DJ since those older versions. Are you folks using Windows or Mac? Do you understand the bit I said about how it won't work first time around?
Mikkel Thomsen 1:09 AM - 11 December, 2014
I dont get a dash! Or dot! In the status bar .. No matter what i try in 1.7.2.. In can only get you are almost the K and ohh not quite tap the king..

If i type dash dot dash the bar says ohhh not quite ...
Serato
Geoff.B 1:16 AM - 11 December, 2014
Are you using Yosemite by any chance?
Mikkel Thomsen 1:18 AM - 11 December, 2014
Yes... But it was the same in mavericks
Serato
Geoff.B 2:07 AM - 11 December, 2014
Can you confirm that it still does this after you do the following:

• Hold Ctrl-Alt-Shift and do a one-second click in the waveform.
• Status bar should say "ooh not quite"
• Now tap in the Buffer King - it may or may not show the "dash" and "dot" status bar messages.

There is a separate issue here that the status bar messages sometimes don't get displayed. This is unfortunate, because it makes it even harder to know where you are in the Buffer King sequence.
djcrap 6:16 AM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
Can you confirm that it still does this after you do the following:

• Hold Ctrl-Alt-Shift and do a one-second click in the waveform.
• Status bar should say "ooh not quite"
• Now tap in the Buffer King - it may or may not show the "dash" and "dot" status bar messages.

There is a separate issue here that the status bar messages sometimes don't get displayed. This is unfortunate, because it makes it even harder to know where you are in the Buffer King sequence.

Could serato please just make this a feature with just a check box in sdj setup panel. So that if we want to activate it we just click or tick the check box.

I know you gonna say file a feature request! Yes we all have filed requestes even pleaded during betas for this to be implimented but it has just fallen on deaf ears at serato headquaters

Thanks in advance
DJ Sidies 9:30 AM - 11 December, 2014
Does this work on the DDJ-SZ?
SteGx 4:23 PM - 11 December, 2014
Hello again

Geoff.B in my 3rd post i said i using Mavericks (10.9.5).
DJ Slides the morse code i think it works in all connected controllers.(I tried in VCI-300 & DDJ-SX and working).

Regards
nikosb 7:38 PM - 11 December, 2014
Works well in me
i using Mavericks (10.9.5) and denon 6000 mk2
Serato
Geoff.B 9:22 PM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
I know you gonna say file a feature request! Yes we all have filed requestes even pleaded during betas for this to be implimented but it has just fallen on deaf ears at serato headquaters

@djcrap, I have checked and we do actually have this feature request logged as a "to do" in our system. We are not deaf, but we also have to manage our development and testing resource to implement the highest priority work first. This is not as high a priority as things like crashes, freezes and hardware issues.

Quote:
Does this work on the DDJ-SZ?

@DJ Sidies you can do it with any controller connected, including no controller (offline mode).
serkan 12:38 PM - 14 December, 2014
I tried the KING with 1.7.2 but it keeps saying "Ohhhhh not quite... Tap the KING..."
But when I open ITCH 2.2.2 just clicking anything with Shift-Ctrl-Alt activates it.
I had activated the KING before in ITCH, maybe that causes the problem with SDJ?

I don't know.
All I know is I was wondering why people bitched about it being too difficult as I was able to do it with ease. Now it doesn't work in 1.7.2 at all.
BBN 4:08 PM - 14 December, 2014
This just sucks big time, because back then there even was a version where you didn't have to deal with that rticky morse code.
In Serato ITCH simply pressing CTRL+ALT+SHIFT and double click the waveform activated the Buffer King.
It's a usefull feature and should be activated with one click in the setup or just allways on aut of the box.
Luis Pinto 4:09 PM - 14 December, 2014
Well, I did it in the offline player in SDJ 1.7.2 at the first try...
BBN 4:12 PM - 14 December, 2014
Dude, how do you use offline player with EQs and changing colors of the waveform?
As soon as you attach any Serato interface there is no offline player anymore.
Luis Pinto 4:39 PM - 14 December, 2014
BBN, I know ;)

I entered the morse code in the offline player and connected the controller afterwards, and the eq changed the color of the waveform.
BBN 4:44 PM - 14 December, 2014
Will give the offline methos a try tomorrow. Thx for explaining.
Luis Pinto 7:55 PM - 14 December, 2014
Anyway, with the controller connected I was also able to input the code successfully.
Jam-Master Jake 9:44 PM - 14 December, 2014
Hey Geoff B and Serato Crew, I've got an idea: how about you make this an actual FEATURE that just works, and not an easter egg? It's a great feature and it's also a real pain in the ass to get implemented sometimes. I'm also having problems with it in 1.7.2 and never had any problems with it in previous releases. I use it because it looks cool and it's a great visual reminder of what I've been doing with my EQs when I get distracted by requesters, girls, etc.

Enough BS; make this an actual FEATURE!
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:07 PM - 14 December, 2014
Yes, that is something we'd like to do at some stage, but I don't when exactly that will happen sorry!
BBN 3:08 PM - 15 December, 2014
Really Martin, this should be activated straight out the box and in combination with #marty.
Way more usefull than sticker lock and other things to me.
938MyDJ 4:40 PM - 15 December, 2014
We SHOULD be FIRST on this!

As I am sure it would be COPIED by the competition as it is INDEED a VERY POWERFUL TOOL!
nikosb 6:45 PM - 15 December, 2014
+1
I agree with previous users
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:18 PM - 15 December, 2014
Quote:
Really Martin, this should be activated straight out the box and in combination with #marty.

I appreciate your opinion, but Sticker Lock was requested far more than this feature ever has been. Just because something isn't useful for you personally, doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.
Luis Pinto 10:17 PM - 15 December, 2014
Even if not adding it in the setup screen, would it be too difficult to make the KING easter egg a bit more easy to enter? Like just K ;)

Just one (slightly offtopic) question - is the #marty one the one that stretches the waveform when you change the pitch? That already works like that if you have a controller?
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:04 PM - 15 December, 2014
If we spend any more time working on it, it will be most likely to make a setup screen option.
There is no point or spare time to make the easter egg easier to enable.

Quote:
Just one (slightly offtopic) question - is the #marty one the one that stretches the waveform when you change the pitch? That already works like that if you have a controller?

Correct to both questions.
BBN 11:06 PM - 15 December, 2014
@Luis, yepp that's #marty.

@Martin: I'm o.k. with sticker lock, all good. But that's just the one feature that comes to my mind when looking for anything I personally don't use ;)
But I'm really not getting all that easter egg stuff and having good features available, but allmost impossible and mostly unknown ways to unlock them. At the moment Buffer King is #1 on my top priority list, because there are some situations where this helps to have a constant sound, when monitoring in club sucks and your ears are allreay bleeding.
Mr. Goodkat 1:59 AM - 16 December, 2014
basically they had to do something for the turntable guys since everything else has been for the controller and cdj guys
938MyDJ 6:42 AM - 16 December, 2014
And besides, it's already an existing feature...

It's just really so touchy to activate, lol!
djcrap 3:32 PM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate your opinion, but Sticker Lock was requested far more than this feature ever has been. Just because something isn't useful for you personally, doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.

Using the logic of your own words Same goes for buffer king just because its not requested by the majority does not mean they wouldnt enjoy using it when its implemented.

Please buffer king
BBN 7:52 PM - 16 December, 2014
The majority simply doesn't know about a lot of things going on in Serato software. They want to play a track on the left deck and a track on the right deck and that's it.
When ever I play there's a least one other Serato user telling me, that he never checked the forum, any videos or the manual. Same goes for any other DJ software that I used for more than ten years now. I see more DJs interested in how things work and what's possible, but the majority still seems to be simply playing/blending two songs and that's it.
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:40 AM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
But I'm really not getting all that easter egg stuff and having good features available, but allmost impossible and mostly unknown ways to unlock them. At the moment Buffer King is #1 on my top priority list

I can't tell you exactly why it was implemented in this way rather than a full feature at the time. It was before my time..but I guess a developer just wanted to try something out in the software but didn't want to commit to any of the extra work of making in the setup screen etc. As we've said in the past, easter eggs are un-tested and undocumented bits of work that occur in developers spare time because they are often interested in just trying something out.

I know this is a feature thats high priority for you, and I am certainly not arguing with that. I was just trying to justify why Sticker Lock took priority to becoming a full feature first. It does sound like you understand that now though.

Quote:
Using the logic of your own words Same goes for buffer king just because its not requested by the majority does not mean they wouldnt enjoy using it when its implemented.

I completely agree. But that wasn't really the logic behind my statement. As above, Sticker Lock took priority to become a full feature because more people requested it and for a longer time.

This one will become a full feature in time too.
Draven1327 3:15 PM - 17 December, 2014
Buffer King!!!!!!
BBN 4:40 PM - 17 December, 2014
Martin, since I've been working as a product developer myself, I allways understand the way you guys are working and it's all good. Sometimes it's just "Damn, I'd like to have this and that right now." ;) Using Serato for the last seven years now and sooner or later you allways gave us what we wanted anyway.
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:43 PM - 17 December, 2014
Oh ok. Thanks for understanding man :)

We won't forget about buffer king guys! :D
Jam-Master Jake 8:53 AM - 18 December, 2014
^Thanks, Martin! I just hope it won't take 2 years to get it. :)

Keep up the good work...SDJ has come so far since 1.0!
djcrap 5:13 PM - 18 December, 2014
Quote:
Oh ok. Thanks for understanding man :)

We won't forget about buffer king guys! :D

Instead of just giving us buffer king ... Serato maybe just rework the all wave form section in terms of features.

1. Instead of having non colored wave ( i think its called stereo inverted wave something like that) in sdj Maybe it should be replaced by buffer king instead.

2. The zoom in level of the wave could be increase to transient level just like ableton and that would be helpful in beat griding tracks
3. Metro-nom for beatgriding songs and respects the changes in master tempo just like in ableton.
Mr. Goodkat 10:22 PM - 18 December, 2014
wasnt buffer king only for itch? and its an easter egg and its hard to type in? of course it didnt have the same amount of interest.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:07 PM - 18 December, 2014
Those aren't bad ideas djcrap, but its an entirely different discussion and completely different amount of work. Things we'd love to do of course, but everything has to be implemented based on our priorities with the resources we have. We can't just easily replace the time we might dedicate to do buffer king with a whole new set of features.

Quote:
wasnt buffer king only for itch? and its an easter egg and its hard to type in? of course it didnt have the same amount of interest.

We could discuss forever as to which feature is more useful to more users, but it really just comes down to a matter of opinion. Yes, the fact that buffer king was harder to activate and only in ITCH would have a played a big part in reducing its discoverability to be liked by more users, but regardless of the reason - there was/is more demand for Sticker Lock (in my opinion).

As I mentioned above, its not like it came down to THIS or THAT type decision. Sticker Lock may have been implemented in 2 days, and buffer king could have taken 2 weeks for example. Thats not accurate information, but its worth being aware there are always other factors which play a part as to when features are implemented.

All I can ask is that you guys please have patience as will implement features when we can.
desmorider 5:24 AM - 10 January, 2015
Please tell me that you don'h have to re-enter king everytime you open serato, or restart computer.
desmorider 5:24 AM - 10 January, 2015
Don't
938MyDJ 10:03 AM - 10 January, 2015
You DO!

I can't even key it once :(

But with so many requests to get this added, it sure is coming pretty soon as a regular feature... I hope!
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:16 AM - 10 January, 2015
I laugh at serato saying people arn't requesting it,

thats because they dont know it exists like the sticker lock many were clueless to that too, so how can the user base request it when they don't even know it exists
desmorider 2:15 PM - 10 January, 2015
Wow,
Am i playing a video game, or using what is suppose to be pro dj software? My time is way too valuble to have to enter this morse code stuff everytime i want to use it. Like video game cheat codes. Come on serato, we purchased pro dj software not a nintendo.
Jam-Master Jake 6:01 PM - 10 January, 2015
Quote:
I laugh at serato saying people arn't requesting it,

thats because they dont know it exists like the sticker lock many were clueless to that too, so how can the user base request it when they don't even know it exists

Quote:
Wow,
Am i playing a video game, or using what is suppose to be pro dj software? My time is way too valuble to have to enter this morse code stuff everytime i want to use it. Like video game cheat codes. Come on serato, we purchased pro dj software not a nintendo.

Agreed. In all fairness to Serato, this was never an actual FEATURE, it was an easter egg--meaning a neat little thing for you to discover and play with. The thing is, it's so damn handy that it SHOULD be a feature. The more people that make noise about this, the more we're ensured it'll be released as an actual feature in the future.
Luis Pinto 6:45 PM - 10 January, 2015
What I don't get is why has a developer inserted a very complex easter egg - for inputting the morse code to access the easter egg - and now there's no developer time to insert an option in setup to activate this.

Is not that infinitely easier than programming the morse code detection?

I also agree with dj sparky - this is not asked by many djs because, let's face it - who knows about this? Who has the time to, before a gig, enter this cumbersome code?

And desmorider - no, you're not playing a videogame. Cheats in videogames are easier.
Jam-Master Jake 7:14 PM - 10 January, 2015
Buffer K.I.N.G. was put in back in the Itch days as something thrown in for fun. At the time, it was never intended to be a full-on feature, and it's something that someone probably did in their spare time and got it included. Why was this done? Good question! You'd think they'd spend their time making it a full-blown feature. From what my (HIGHLY limited understanding of software programming) tells me, to implement this properly as an actual feature would take a lot more time (due to programming it out fully, putting a possible option in the settings for enabling/disabling, then beta-testing and debugging to make sure it works properly). If it's an easter egg, it's "there" and there's no requirement to make it work. If it's a feature, on the other hand, it had better work, or they're going to take heat for it. Also, remember that the codebase for Itch and SDJ are completely different. SDJ started from scratch and wasn't just built on top of the Itch codebase. So to implement this in SDJ is probably going to require completely rewriting it from square one.

Serato has been VERY busy since the launch of SDJ getting the software stable, getting all of the Itch/DJ Intro controllers for it supported, and getting it brought up to the level it needs to be in this modern DJ era...not to mention getting it fully DVS-capable so they can kill off Scratch Live in another year or so. There is a current "To-Do" list that they have, and I'm sure there are still quite a few items of importance on it that they want to get to first (such as, where in the hell is Day Mode...it's been over 2 years since SDJ 1.0 launched!). Once they get that list under control with stability and more pressing Scratch Live features (plus new features) included, then they can start looking at the "lesser" things people are asking for. It's not like they've got 300 programmers all working on SDJ. :)

It'll come in time. In the meantime, read the quotes from 2 Serato developers from above (I may have possibly intermixed the quotes of 2 different developers together...reread above to see them in their proper contexts):

Quote:
ITCH is a completely different code base. Not all code from there came across into Serato DJ, for whatever reason that easy shortcut didn't make it in. The morse code stuff may have been re-implemented, rather than ported. Easter Egg functionality is not defined in our test procedures, so there was no definition to say whether SDJ's implementation was "correct".

Quote:
I can't tell you exactly why it was implemented in this way rather than a full feature at the time. It was before my time..but I guess a developer just wanted to try something out in the software but didn't want to commit to any of the extra work of making in the setup screen etc. As we've said in the past, easter eggs are un-tested and undocumented bits of work that occur in developers spare time because they are often interested in just trying something out.

This one will become a full feature in time too.