DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New Years Eve! What track will you be playing to ring in the new year? NYE2015

Jimi Smyth 3:59 PM - 4 December, 2014
Looking at what's been getting the most play / energy..
So far I'm thinking:
Alesso - Heroes

What about you???
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:49 PM - 4 December, 2014
Taylor Swift -Track 3...the biggest track of the year
phonze 5:04 PM - 4 December, 2014
Is it a top 40 gig? If so I doubt an Alesso track is really what you want. Turn Down For What, even though it's been overplayed to death, will probably be dropped at most places I imagine.
Jimi Smyth 5:14 PM - 4 December, 2014
@Phonze , Heroes is actually #20 on the Top40!
Turn Down For What is a good option, sure.

@DJ-M.Bezzle t-swift, track 3 = #1 in canada. Good call.

The gig is at a Club, can play whatever I want really...
Might go with Sandstorm. Might go with backstreet boys...
DJ Remy USA 7:47 PM - 4 December, 2014
This thread lol
Code:E 10:56 PM - 13 December, 2014
Jimi, whats up.

I'm debating on this also... I try to make up a 4 track power mix banging tracks. But with deep house gaining in popularity I was thinking of going with Hideaway. But turn down for what might win out.
Mr. Goodkat 2:07 AM - 14 December, 2014
R-Tistic 2:03 PM - 14 December, 2014
I'm doing a Rap/R&B crowd, so....

Eh.....right now, between Lifestyle, Hot nigga, maaaaaybe Coco, maaaaaybe No type....eh, it's a hard call. Hot nigga isn't as prime as it was a month or two ago. Coco is the hottest by far, but it's not really a "start the year off" song. Lifestyle is a bit laid back, but the theme itself just fits NYE perfect.

Gonna be a tough call.
lvmez 2:09 PM - 14 December, 2014
Truffle Butter by Nicki Minaj

This song is crazy. Taking NYC by storm.
DJ Remy USA 2:54 PM - 14 December, 2014
Looks like Turn Down for What followed by Be Faithful NYE Edit should do the dance floor justice. Then for the hiphop heads maybe drop CoCo or Lifestyle or Flex Zone or IDFWU.
Mr. Goodkat 7:07 PM - 14 December, 2014
if i heard 'turn down for what' on nye i would feel like 2015 was going to suck harder than any year in recent memory
Taipanic 3:41 PM - 15 December, 2014
Quote:
if i heard 'turn down for what' on nye i would feel like 2015 was going to suck harder than any year in recent memory

I feel ya but gotta realize NYE is mostly Amateur Night - lots of peeps out to party that don't normally go out. Many successful NYE gigs involve a lot of older, played out music...
DJ Remy USA 3:47 PM - 15 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I feel ya but gotta realize NYE is mostly Amateur Night - lots of peeps out to party that don't normally go out. Many successful NYE gigs involve a lot of older, played out music...

Pretty much on point. The biggest track might be Party Up by DMX....lol
Papa Midnight 8:20 PM - 15 December, 2014
Not playing NYE this year, but this thread... lol.
djaction 8:55 PM - 15 December, 2014
Quote:
if i heard 'taylor shit' at all on nye i would feel like 2015 was going to suck harder than any year in recent memory

fixed that for you
Mr. Goodkat 10:35 PM - 15 December, 2014
eh, my thing is that taylor swift is getting so much media attn that you cant discount her for chicks especially white chicks under 30. 'Turn down for what', which is probably the safe play, is one of those tracks that is so dated and lil jon is just excruciating. This year has been so anti crunk and i have 9/18/13 on the track, which came out late summer....

but you guys are probably making the right call.
Joee 10:41 PM - 15 December, 2014
as soon as 12 hits i'm playin this--> Watchwww.youtube.com
dj jamalot 10:50 PM - 15 December, 2014
^^ HA I like that Joee...
phonze 11:40 PM - 15 December, 2014
Quote:
'Turn down for what', which is probably the safe play, is one of those tracks that is so dated and lil jon is just excruciating. This year has been so anti crunk and i have 9/18/13 on the track, which came out late summer....

It's super old, DJ's were all over it way before it hit radio. But yeah, your regular teen to mid 20's top 40 crowd still think it's cool and fresh.
Code:E 12:24 AM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
'Turn down for what', which is probably the safe play, is one of those tracks that is so dated and lil jon is just excruciating. This year has been so anti crunk and i have 9/18/13 on the track, which came out late summer....
It's super old, DJ's were all over it way before it hit radio. But yeah, your regular teen to mid 20's top 40 crowd still think it's cool and fresh.

That's my proble with NYE. You tend to get people at the club who don't normally come out. So if you play all brand spanking new hot stuff most of the people wont have any idea on what your playing. I feel like you need to play an awesome set from Late July to early Septemebr on NYE with tons of throw backs. I think it should be 2014's hottest track not the hottest track that came out in 2014. Unfortuantly the radio cycle is almost 6 months behind club tracks, at least it is around here.
DJ Remy USA 4:46 PM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
eh, my thing is that taylor swift is getting so much media attn that you cant discount her for chicks especially white chicks under 30. 'Turn down for what', which is probably the safe play, is one of those tracks that is so dated and lil jon is just excruciating. This year has been so anti crunk and i have 9/18/13 on the track, which came out late summer....

but you guys are probably making the right call.

The biggest songs on NYE is hardly ever a recent brand new banger. Its always a track everyone knows and will go ape shit too. Songs like Turn Down for What, Shots, etc are played out but the crowd still eats them up cause they are (CH) Certified Hits
DJ Remy USA 4:48 PM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I remember the specific crowd response when I started dropping it last year no one liked it until about March this year is when crowds really started liking it for me. Now they ask for it.
rayjthedj 7:56 PM - 16 December, 2014
My gig will be with a bunch of Military Vets and Wounded Warriors, we will play God Bless the USA.

We shutdown after bringing in the New Year and last year as I keyed and played the above song, I was shutting down a few things and looked up to see everyone in the place, over 120 folks, all in a circle in the middle of the floor, holding hands and singing the song.

I joined them and we ended the night with a prayer for the Lord to protect all our nations soldiers that were currently overseas, in harms way, while the rest of us are able to do as we wish on New Years Eve.

God Bless all of you in your gigs as you bring in the New Year and please remember those who protect all the freedoms we enjoy in the USA.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:58 PM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
My gig will be with a bunch of Military Vets and Wounded Warriors, we will play God Bless the USA.

We shutdown after bringing in the New Year and last year as I keyed and played the above song, I was shutting down a few things and looked up to see everyone in the place, over 120 folks, all in a circle in the middle of the floor, holding hands and singing the song.

I joined them and we ended the night with a prayer for the Lord to protect all our nations soldiers that were currently overseas, in harms way, while the rest of us are able to do as we wish on New Years Eve.

God Bless all of you in your gigs as you bring in the New Year and please remember those who protect all the freedoms we enjoy in the USA.

#hellalame

youtu.be
DJ Remy USA 8:03 PM - 16 December, 2014
Ive DJd tons of military events. If its lame its either the command is afriad or the DJ is afraid. Make them damn soilders dance and have a good time.
rayjthedj 8:10 PM - 16 December, 2014
They have a ball, and can dance to anything from the 1950s to current. I do their formals all the time and they have a very diverse age group, are all highly educated and motivated.

If anyone thinks doing stuff for the military is lame, then be glad those guys gave what they did so you can say whatever you like about them!

Freedom has an entirely different meaning to the protected, as to those who fought for that Freedom!!!

I have lost many friends that I went to helicopter flight school with and flew with in combat in the Middle East, and they gave their lives so you could #lame them.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:34 PM - 16 December, 2014
MERICA!!
Mr. Goodkat 9:49 PM - 16 December, 2014
i'm not hating on soldiers, cuz they are doing a job. but i'm not sure when the last time we fought for freedom was....

any way NYE WOOOOOOOOOO :D
rayjthedj 9:54 PM - 16 December, 2014
To some, freedom means buildings aren't falling on their heads, people don't get legs blown off or their children killed while attending an event. How long till our school buses with our kids on them are getting blown up.

When we go find the bad guys and kill them on their soil, so you can safely sit in your house or office and comment in a forum or put together your next killer play list, all of this is fighting for freedom in my book. However your opinion is just as important as mine.
Mr. Goodkat 10:02 PM - 16 December, 2014
to some it means killing the people responsible for terrorist events and not making parking lots out of stable countries or killing innocent civilians that had very little if anything to do with said events.

but like you said you opinion is important as mine.

#turndownforwhat?
lvmez 10:31 PM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
i'm not hating on soldiers, cuz they are doing a job. but i'm not sure when the last time we fought for freedom was....

Ignorance at its best right here.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 11:13 PM - 16 December, 2014
I would spin some epic neurofunk dnb tune that drops right at 12:00
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:57 AM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Ignorance at its best right here.

It actually makes alot of sense when you look at the facts....but anyways...MERUCA!!!
XCAKID 3:03 PM - 18 December, 2014
I'm probably gonna play Selfie, cause everyone will more than like going to be taking selfies at midnight to post on various social medias.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 3:15 AM - 20 December, 2014
Mix the selfie acapella with Boneless by Steve aoki. My strategy never fails. ;)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:41 AM - 20 December, 2014
Quote:
#hellalame

You sir, have a Solid Gold Throne waiting for you in hell...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:53 AM - 20 December, 2014
Props to those who Serve in the Armed Forces....
The Despicable Nyan Cat 2:25 PM - 20 December, 2014
Did you quote me? Lol nm
The Despicable Nyan Cat 2:27 PM - 20 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
#hellalame

You sir, have a Solid Gold Throne waiting for you in hell...

At least I'm king of something.....
DJ Nexus2000 7:41 PM - 27 December, 2014
Don't Stop The Madness - Hardwell!!
Jimi Smyth 7:52 AM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's my proble with NYE. You tend to get people at the club who don't normally come out. So if you play all brand spanking new hot stuff most of the people wont have any idea on what your playing. I feel like you need to play an awesome set from Late July to early Septemebr on NYE with tons of throw backs. I think it should be 2014's hottest track not the hottest track that came out in 2014. Unfortuantly the radio cycle is almost 6 months behind club tracks, at least it is around here.

Back on track... Yes PG is basically the same as KTown- Turn Down for What is obviously a great choice, thinking about dropping a 120 Uptown Funk edit I through together with a 30 countdown.

Quote:
Don't Stop The Madness - Hardwell!!

^ This is dope for a big room crowd.

Any suggestions for video countdown? I've been running serato video and would love to incorporate something, live stream, or video. Cheers!
The Face 10:07 AM - 31 December, 2014
I'm playing an up market Golf Club in Ireland. So "Turn down for what"? Probably not! Anyway, I always do "Don't Stop Belivin", I know it's been played to hell but its very apt for NYE and its one those ones where everyone holds each other. Then I'll probably rip it up with some Hermes House Band:-) and just thank God that their bar extension is only to 1pm!
PS This is the first year im not doing my regular place cos it's temporarily closed. I'm charging double my normal rate for NYE. Is that normal?
DJ GaFFle 10:43 AM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:

Never heard this one. I like the track, vibe and lyrics. Nice!
phonze 2:39 PM - 31 December, 2014
Yeah Truffle Butter might be like the new Motto. Unfortunately there's no catchy hook on it.
DJ Nexus2000 2:57 PM - 31 December, 2014
Another good track is Riggi & Piros - Bang!
lvmez 4:15 PM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Never heard this one. I like the track, vibe and lyrics. Nice!

One of the biggest tracks in NYC right now.
Rebelguy 7:20 PM - 31 December, 2014
I am dealing with a 21-50 crowd tonight. Uptown Funk seems to be the winner for me right now.
The Face 9:20 AM - 1 January, 2015
Far younger crowd than I was expecting. So I threw out the playlist and just winged it. "Uptown Funk" was the first track after 12. Probably the only song of the year that I'll still be using in 2 years time.
Dj Nyce 11:11 AM - 1 January, 2015
i ended up doing turn down for what. the crowd loved it.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 2:48 PM - 1 January, 2015
Whelp, heppy new year y'all :)
DJ Nexus2000 4:50 PM - 1 January, 2015
I used "Hell Yeah" by Tony Junior
dj jamalot 6:25 PM - 1 January, 2015
Truffle butter killed it OMG!
DJ Remy USA 7:56 PM - 1 January, 2015
I ended up playing a EDM version of dont stop the party....Pitbull yea I know I should be ashamed but the crowd ate it up no complaints
slimmjimm 11:20 PM - 1 January, 2015
Ha, amateurs. Played 1999. Crowd went apeshit.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:30 AM - 2 January, 2015
Dropped a custom NYE edit I made of lil boosie set it off
d:raf 7:16 AM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:

I played "Kiss"; same reaction :).
Chrisjin 3:05 PM - 2 January, 2015
R.E.M - It's The End Of The World
Dj cuervo 3:51 PM - 2 January, 2015
auld-lang-syne-twerk-remix by LIL JOHN
dj jamalot 4:59 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:

Rookie I played that in 2000 ...
 6 6:34 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

lol

nm
myndgruv 7:18 PM - 2 January, 2015
We played a NYE countdown edit of tuesday,,,,

went off.. people loved it.. good ol anchorage, ak
The Face 10:18 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:

I played that as the song before midnight on NYE 1999/2000. Went down great! Then Disco 2000 by Pulp.
DJ Remy USA 10:41 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I played that as the song before midnight on NYE 1999/2000. Went down great! Then Disco 2000 by Pulp.

I wasn't even a DJ back then I think I was still freestyling at the neighborhood parks with my friends
slimmjimm 12:49 AM - 3 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Poser, I played the vinyl that I bought with my allowance in 1982?
djattila 2:49 AM - 3 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Poser, I played the vinyl that I bought with my allowance in 1982?

OH SNAP!!
dj jamalot 10:17 AM - 3 January, 2015
You pretender I got it free from my record pool HA!
R-Tistic 10:26 AM - 3 January, 2015
I literally decided within 15 seconds to play "Coco"....it was between that, IDFWU, Hot nigga, Lifestyle, and maybe even No type. It was a hard call.
The Face 11:11 AM - 3 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wasn't even a DJ back then I think I was still freestyling at the neighborhood parks with my friends

Twin cd's in one deck. One of the CD players stopped working around 12.30 so you have either a 3 second delay if you were using the same cd or 10-15 seconds if you were changing CDs. Those weren't the days!
slimmjimm 3:17 PM - 3 January, 2015
Quote:
You pretender I got it free from my record pool HA!

Eh, I tried to be witty and find a clever picture, but I got bored so you win.
dj jamalot 3:32 PM - 3 January, 2015
everybody won that rocked crowds for 2015... Happy New Year Professionals!!!