DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Im about to buy a rane 57 and wanna know any issues?

cosmic j 7:28 AM - 26 November, 2014
I have the last macbook pro before the retina display, its about a year old. Im about to buy a rane 57 in amazing condition and a redline. I really liked that model and i owned one a long time ago. I just wanna know what has changed since I owned one 5 years ago?

Will it work with my computer?

I know it only works with scratch live which is completely fine with me but will it have any issues other than that?

How about the usb and hardware on my computer?

Will rane 57 have any issues with apple operating system? I have the newest one and keep updating when new ones come out.

Please let me know these answers asap and anything else I should know, Im going to be buying this tomorrow around 2 or 3 pm.
I also have a rane 62 so don't send recommend me other mixers, i just wanna know about this one.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:47 PM - 26 November, 2014
The 57 is no longer made and, although it MAY work with Yosemite and later updates, its not supported so if there are problems they will not be getting fixed.

You will always be able to get technical support when using a 57 with 10.8 or lower.

I, personally, wouldn't purchase a 57 unless its intended on being a backup.

Your computer is fine... if 10.10 doesn't work with the 57 for you than I would downgrade to 10.8.
cosmic j 7:51 PM - 26 November, 2014
i do have latest update, i dont kno how to downgrade,

if it continues to work in the long future with an sl box will i be able to set cue points still? and song slection buttons? etc

or will it only work as a basic mixer? because if thats the case i mite just get a 56 with a box but i really dont wanna do that
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:00 PM - 26 November, 2014
If you can't connect the 57 directly to your computer than you won't be able to control SSL from it. It doesn't use MIDI but rather its own proprietary info transfer.
cosmic j 9:30 PM - 26 November, 2014
i read comments in forums that they will hook up a sl2 and make it work, so is that wrong?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:51 PM - 1 December, 2014
You can connect a sound card and use the mixer but you won't be able to control SSL (or SDJ) with the mixer.
pdidy 3:14 AM - 4 December, 2014
If updating your mac to the "newest one and keep updating when new ones come out" (operating systems) is more important to you than the functionally of the rane 57.......

Then you have already decided, don't get a 57.