Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

An option to record drum loops (for ex…) on the fly using samples.

DJwhizkid 11:24 AM - 25 November, 2014
Lets say I have a sample bank that includes - kick snare hats crash clap.
Now it will be greta if I could "arm" a record option that would record sequences of loops I'm creating from these samples.

As i see it it can work (when you're in sp6 mode) like this :

1. setting a loop length
2. hit a button to start record.
3. use samples to record the loop. (lets say i play a pattern of two kicks followed by a snare on a 4 beats length loop).
4. now everything i add to the loop while its still running will be added to the loop (hats pattern for example).
5. holding shit+sample will remove the specific sample from the loop.
6. press a button to lock the loop (so it won't add any more samples )
- now the loop is running but when I play a sample it won't be added to the loop anymore (but sill will be heard.)
8.press a button to stop the loop from playing it all together.

what do you guys think?

serato you can also make it work with specific samples (banks) and sell it as packs of samples by genres and staff - just think about the potential here :)
(had to giveem an incentive :) )
DJwhizkid 5:23 PM - 26 November, 2014
no one into this integrated "drum machine"? really?
Make your own patterns from samples, live… cmon:)
DJ Compiler 2:50 PM - 29 November, 2014
I've suggested something similar before in a couple threads but I wanted it more as a step sequencer added to the sample player.
DJwhizkid 4:04 PM - 29 November, 2014
Yeah thats what i meant basically. An option to record loops from samples like in a drum machine.
Davideon 7:59 PM - 29 November, 2014
I think the number of people who would use this would be so small it wouldn't be commercially viable
DJwhizkid 8:52 PM - 29 November, 2014
I hope you're wrong. I think that all the DJs that also create music as producers or have any experience with basic beats creation can make really cool hi-level things using this feature when combining it with their sets.
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:23 PM - 30 November, 2014
DJwhizkid,

I'm into this. It would be pretty tight if this was integrated in to an update of Flip or something huh?

I do think a lot of people prefer to do this in a DAW like ableton though, but then again, the bridge is due for a return.

Its a good and well explained idea. Good post!

Matt P
Davideon 9:20 PM - 30 November, 2014
Flip needs slip
DJwhizkid 12:40 AM - 1 December, 2014
Oh, you mean use Flip to record the sequences. Sounds neat.

Well i didn't think about the ideal way to implement it, but i do know that it will open some serious options to express creativity and add some real uniqueness and musicality to anyones sets and mixing routines. It surly will take the use of samples to a whole new level.

As I see it, DAWS are being used for more complex production that you make before the sets. They don't tend to take the spontaneous out of you on the fly. Therefore, I believe ppl who use DAWS, like me, will keep using em to produce complicated phrases - But will love the idea and the possibility to make some simple fresh beats right within serato and right on the spot.

Thanks for the positive feedback.
DJ Demolition 1:41 AM - 4 December, 2014
I don't follow you 100% Whiz, but I think Traktor already has what you are talking about included in their software. Plus, Traktor (Native Instruments) also sells loops, samples, etc., as you were describing. Unfortunately, they will not loop in Serato, because they aren't long enough to meet Serato's minimum. Seems like Serato may have set the minimum length this way on purpose..?

I never use the sample recorder myself, but I can see how some people might have a ball with it. I took a screen shot so you can see what it looks like if you're not familiar with Traktor: www.flickr.com
DJwhizkid 2:06 AM - 4 December, 2014
Oh, theres a minimum length for samples to be used as loops? Didn't know that. will check it.
But i didn't mean record it as a sample, i meant to record one shots as a sequence like in a drum machine.
DJ Demolition 2:22 AM - 4 December, 2014
Traktor's recorder works like that, but it layers each new ("x" amount of beats) recording, on top of the last. There's no way to separate them once they're layered. I you like what you've recorded though, you can save it as a sample to be used later in the regular sample decks...
DJwhizkid 2:31 AM - 4 December, 2014
Sounds like a very nice feature to have.
DJ Demolition 2:42 AM - 4 December, 2014
I thought you might want to get a copy, play with it, and see if it suited your purpose. If so, you could just point Serato in that direction.
Mr Wilks 4:15 AM - 4 December, 2014
Quote:
DJwhizkid,

I'm into this. It would be pretty tight if this was integrated in to an update of Flip or something huh?

I do think a lot of people prefer to do this in a DAW like ableton though, but then again, the bridge is due for a return.

Its a good and well explained idea. Good post!

Matt P

Loving this idea and as you can achieve a drum machine effect in flip, to take it further with a step sequencer in the SP-6 that can replay samples or stems. As you say, building in DAWs is the better option for advanced guys but to build a more basic one into the sample player as an add on would reach more of an audience than the bridge did.

I do miss the bridge. The new Akai Serato controllers are perfect form factor for the new APC 40 or mini and would go together so well.

A +1 from me.
DJwhizkid 7:21 AM - 4 December, 2014
After watching some of the youtube clips you've posted I find the loop recorder as it works with tractor as a very nice and creative tool to have, but in my opinion, its a bit of an "overkill" and complicated for the avg Serato DJ.
My suggestion keeps it a little more simple and "user friendly"
&Midge 7:48 AM - 4 December, 2014
Quote:
Flip needs slip

Agreed!!!

Drum machine / step sequencer is a great idea. Would each SP6 slot need high, mid and low EQ's, FX's too to get the best out of the feature?

Quote:
build a more basic one into the sample player as an add on would reach more of an audience than the bridge did

Agreed!!

But what SP6 needs first is sample deck SYNC for DVS users.
Which is coming.........

...........at some point, hopefully soon.
Djkom 9:56 AM - 4 December, 2014
One part of the "SP16" feature I want Serato to introduce !!!

+1
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:18 PM - 4 December, 2014
Quote:
My suggestion keeps it a little more simple and "user friendly"

Yeah, this is key. It should be fun and intuitive for the live aspect otherwise it will go unused.
Mr Wilks 8:17 PM - 4 December, 2014
By creating sequences of loops it would truly be a remixers paradise combined with flip you wouldn't have much need for an external DAW unless you was actually producing music.

Simple sample grabbing while flipping and sequencing would be the icing on the cake. And the best bit is that many of the underlying technologies exists already in the software, it's just putting into a logical and presentable way a user can engage with.
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:43 PM - 4 December, 2014
Quote:
By creating sequences of loops it would truly be a remixers paradise combined with flip you wouldn't have much need for an external DAW unless you was actually producing music.

Simple sample grabbing while flipping and sequencing would be the icing on the cake. And the best bit is that many of the underlying technologies exists already in the software, it's just putting into a logical and presentable way a user can engage with.

Add mixtape to this equation an you have one hell of a sketch pad for ideas too :)
Mr Wilks 8:47 PM - 4 December, 2014
Quote:
Add mixtape to this equation an you have one hell of a sketch pad for ideas too :)

Totally. Plus the only major DJ software to provide such a package on the market. Win!
DJwhizkid 1:57 AM - 5 December, 2014
In two words…. Oh yes!!!
DJwhizkid 9:37 AM - 22 December, 2014
In one word…Bump.
Mutis Mayfield 3:49 PM - 17 January, 2015
Once again.
serato.com
Mutis Mayfield 3:53 PM - 17 January, 2015
DJwhizkid 11:28 PM - 17 January, 2015
once again :)
Mutis Mayfield 7:09 PM - 18 January, 2015
;)
BIGFOOT 11:07 PM - 12 September, 2016
Create a sample with a little sequence from sp-6 and send in empty slot (most controller have a 8pad ---> 2 dead)!

So, now in the 1.9.3 we have a 8 pads avaiable, but i think that we need a sequencer or with keyboard or/and with add controller!!!

...also cut loop from the deck and live can insert in sp-6/8!!!