DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

A new controller... Best EVER!

DjCity 1:48 PM - 22 November, 2014
A groundbreaking new invention has been unveiled which purportedly allows DJs to control their set using nothing more than a mixer and some decks.

The invention, known as hands, was believed to have been invented some millions of years ago by Charles Darwin but has only been released to the public this week.

“Before hands came along everyone controlled their sets by fistbumping or using brain implants that allow the DJ to think-mix or by using under dance floor sensors that adjust the track depending on the amount of dancing taking place,” explained hands owner and DJing hero Dave Clarke.

“There’s a rich history in electronic music of using vaguely stupid schemes to mix instead of actually just mixing. I mean, to see the truthfulness of that all you have to do is cast a glance at Steve Aoki.”

“Sure I’ve used my hands before, this arse isn’t going to scratch itself, and of course wanking is a big aspect of my life but never have I thought to use hands for manipulating a set of controls designed for that purpose before,” continued Dave, who has been DJing using his feet since 1997. “But once I used the hands on the mixer it all made sense.”

Not all DJs have been so praiseworthy of actually using your hands for mixing instead of a sensor strapped to your arm that uses fist pumping to control the mix. “It’s so simple and easy to use, it’s a cool gimmick but I don’t know if I see it lasting,” claimed Armin Van Buuren. “DJs have a tradition of using pointless arsebaggery to control their sets that I don’t realistically see this whole actually using your hands thing catching on.”

“For me, it’ll always come second to using a pointless piece of technology to control the mix and will inevitably take the focus away from the DJ and make the whole exercise about just listening to the music rather than watching the DJ to see when he may or may not do a fist pump,” continued Van Buuren. “That’s what proper DJing is about.”

Other DJs have spoken out against the invention claiming that it smears the essence of DJing and reduces it to nothing more “than a person pushing some buttons and fiddling with some levels to create a seamless musical journey for the enjoyment of an audience”.

“Gone are those halcyon days when DJs were able to own the stage with their presence, their lightshow, their unnecessary prancing and hand gestures,” concluded Van Buuren. “Now it’s just going to be some guy or girl hunched over a mixer, using their hands to manipulate records and make people dance with nothing more than the excellent music he or she is playing. It’s sick.”
DJ VEE 3:49 AM - 24 November, 2014
Lol! Just remembered a birthday party I did for a relative this pay summer. No structure, just playing music and having fun. A much younger cousin wanted to take a shot using Serato, (not sure what format he uses). I'm like, "sure thing, give it a shot." As he was ready to bring in the next track, started to hear a train wreck. He looks at me with a shocked look on his face..... "Where's the sync button?!?" I pointed to my ears and said "I just use these". We both had a good laugh. (It is just a hobby for him and does not play out anywhere, or interested in pursuing it further than home for fun and to pass the time. not trying to get him sloughtered on this forum or anything. Just thought of that funny moment when I read this post).