Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

DVS upgrade ready for mixers?

trayE 3:42 PM - 16 November, 2014
I have the Pioneer DJM-T1, it works with every DJ software, just not SDJ. So is there a chance of this happening? Yeah, I know it's a long shot :)
deejdave 3:39 AM - 17 November, 2014
DJM-"T"1. The "T Stands for Traktor. You ALSO may have noticed the little Traktor" logo on the mixer. I would say it is safe enough to say that this will not be offered for this mixer.
trayE 11:32 AM - 17 November, 2014
Yeah I know, But it works with all the others not just Traktor. Anyway a person from Serato told me to open a request, so here goes nothing :-)
deejdave 4:34 PM - 17 November, 2014
By all means. This is pretty much the ONLY way to get it so I don't mean to deter you from asking. Just keep in mind those "other" DJ applications are pretty much open and allow you to use just about ANY hardware you want in the world. I'm talking anything. Virtual DJ supports this box of Cheerios I just bought!!! LOL Not really but you get the point.

I think you are correct in asking for Serato support though as IMO Traktor, Serat & Rekordbox are the top in the field. Rekordbox is out of the picture but Serato could theoretically happen.

IMO you would have more luck asking for open sound cards instead of hardware specific in this case due to the not so popular nature (no offense meant) of the DJM-T1. You also are aware that you COULD use the mixer's midi capabilities using the midi panel in Serato correct?
trayE 7:12 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
You also are aware that you COULD use the mixer's midi capabilities using the midi panel in Serato correct?

I'm using it that way for a year now :-)
DJ ZAE 12:32 AM - 21 November, 2014
+1 on the djm t1
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:36 AM - 22 November, 2014
Nothing would make me happier then to be able to use my DJM T1 without my SL3.

Please add support, I am willing and will pay for this feature.

+1
deejdave 7:37 AM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:

+1

Do you own the DJM-T1 as well?
trayE 12:34 PM - 22 November, 2014
I see this happening in the future, Serato going open format. Maybe in a year or two.. :-)
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:34 PM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

+1

Do you own the DJM-T1 as well?

Yes sir šŸ˜‰

It is a solid mixer for the money (got mine brand new for 450 bucks). And when mapped to SSL/SDJ it's a perfect match šŸ‘
deejdave 11:53 PM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:
I see this happening in the future, Serato going open format. Maybe in a year or two.. :-)

In all honesty I would love NOTHING more but I am willing to bet this will never happen. They haven't even hinted at allowing custom midi mapping or even allowing two native SDJ devices at the same time yet. These are two HUGE hurdles which must be crossed or at least discussed before they even considered open format.
deejdave 11:54 PM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:
It is a solid mixer for the money (got mine brand new for 450 bucks).

BTW It SURE does seem like it.
trayE 1:07 AM - 23 November, 2014
Quote:
In all honesty I would love NOTHING more but I am willing to bet this will never happen. They haven't even hinted at allowing custom midi mapping or even allowing two native SDJ devices at the same time yet. These are two HUGE hurdles which must be crossed or at least discussed before they even considered open format.

Well at the rate they are expanding I can see it happening sometime. Just not in the near future.. :-)
deejdave 6:09 AM - 23 November, 2014
IMO they are expanding by means of exclusives. Ya never know though. As I said I would welcome it with open arms.
DER_FICH 9:31 PM - 9 January, 2015
+1
LargeFarva 6:20 PM - 10 January, 2015
Would be nice - any of the 24bit/32bit/96khz sound card included mixers on the market should be able to act as a sound interface with full blown DVS support.

I'm not sure of the existing relationship between Rane and Serato, but this would be a huge punch in the gut for Rane. Imagine if you could plug in a DJM-T1 or DJM-750 and just have full native support. Who would buy an SL2/3/4 anymore? People would still definitely buy 62s and 64s (62 was the best selling "premium" mixer in Q42014 by a landslide, outselling the 900NXS and SRT combined, IIRC) but I think the money for Rane are their interfaces, at least on the DJ side of things. Their installed sound business actually makes them the bulk of their money over DJ equipment, by a rather large margin.

The hardware is capable of it, NOISEMAP just needs the timecode signal from the sound interface as far as I know. Any soundcard could accommodate this. And the architecture of all the various built in AISO sound cards doesn't preclude them from working as natively supported interfaces, to my knowledge.
serkan 5:13 PM - 15 January, 2015
It could be done with an expansion pack. But I think for now it makes better sense to release official Serato ready equipment for both Serato and the mixer manufacturers as they can make up new license agreements with each product.
deejdave 5:25 PM - 15 January, 2015
Not trying to challenge anything but definitely AM curious as to the source of the mixers sales. I have ALWAYS been curious as a way to tell sales. Is there a database or something I have been missing all these years.
Gio Alex 3:32 AM - 3 February, 2015
This kid saw the future.
Gio Alex 3:32 AM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:

+1
deejdave 8:01 AM - 3 February, 2015
Even with all the craziness going on lately I STILL can NOT see this happening. I say open game on just about any & all mixers with sound cards except N.I. territory. Who knows though I have been wrong before and I am sure I will be again.
Gio Alex 1:04 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
Even with all the craziness going on lately I STILL can NOT see this happening. I say open game on just about any & all mixers with sound cards except N.I. territory. Who knows though I have been wrong before and I am sure I will be again.

I mean, you might be right. But the flip side is I think NI is closing the door on third party products and only focusing on their brand so who knows.

All I know is I would gladly pay $169 to not have to connect my SL3 to this mixer. This mixer is massive for a 2 channel mixer. It's slightly bigger than my 909 and just as heavy.

I'm thinking of starting a petition to get support for it. Hopefully people will join and it can be a thing. Crossing fingers, but won't hold my breathe.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:25 PM - 3 February, 2015
I highly doubt this has anything to do with it being a Traktor mixer, this is all about money for Serato.

Traktor gave Pioneer the middle finger when they released the Z2 as far as I'm concerned.

Like you said Dave they should just open it up, I'd say any Pioneer mixer with a soundcard should be added. They already have the coding done or at least the know how.

In my opinion Serato wants dollars coming in from both ends ( companies & end users ) which is fine.

I think it's US the END USERS who should set the standards not these companies. If more people would stand up we wouldn't be having this conversation now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have no problem paying them for this.

The DJM T1 is damn near perfect when mapped to SDJ or SSL.
deejdave 5:30 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have no problem paying them for this.

As in club kit or additional?

OK bear with me here. The below is what I was typing up...........

"I hate being on the opposite end as many take me as a negative person. I just try to be as realistic as I can. While I share your enthusiasm and hope my gut feeling says no N.I. products. I am wondering if this would have something to do with N.I. making the gear.

When N.I. Decided to grab Serato controllers it was seemingly a Pioneer/N.I decision. In the DJM-T1 scenario there is no Pioneer................................"

I then stopped when I typed out "DJM-T1" and "Pioneer" and I quickly realized I was talking about the Z2 LMAO!!!!!! Sorry guys!!

I agree 100% the DJM-T1 SHOULD be supported for the exact reason I posted above. This is NOT the first time I confused the T1 for the Z2.

Whooooooooops!!
Gio Alex 9:04 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

As in club kit or additional?

OK bear with me here. The below is what I was typing up...........

"I hate being on the opposite end as many take me as a negative person. I just try to be as realistic as I can. While I share your enthusiasm and hope my gut feeling says no N.I. products. I am wondering if this would have something to do with N.I. making the gear.

When N.I. Decided to grab Serato controllers it was seemingly a Pioneer/N.I decision. In the DJM-T1 scenario there is no Pioneer................................"

I then stopped when I typed out "DJM-T1" and "Pioneer" and I quickly realized I was talking about the Z2 LMAO!!!!!! Sorry guys!!

I agree 100% the DJM-T1 SHOULD be supported for the exact reason I posted above. This is NOT the first time I confused the T1 for the Z2.

Whooooooooops!!

lol it's all good Dave.
deejdave 2:32 AM - 4 February, 2015
Thanks for not hating. Pure amateur move!! LOL
trayE 3:56 AM - 5 March, 2015
Quote:
This kid saw the future.

If you were referring to me, I'm 34 years old :-)
Gio Alex 4:05 AM - 5 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
This kid saw the future.

If you were referring to me, I'm 34 years old :-)

Haha all good, so am I. But good call for real.
trayE 4:07 AM - 5 March, 2015
Ok, the picture in my profile is from 5 years ago, but still.. :-))

Anyway, I just sold my DJM-T1 and the SL2.. Got myself the Akai AMX with the DVS plugin and a Vestax VCI-380, and I got $150 left..

So I hope that was another good call :-))
Gio Alex 6:52 AM - 5 March, 2015
I'm still hanging on to my DJM-T1, just in case, by some miracle they give it club kit support. If not I'll sell it as well. I have enough mixers.
deejdave 7:43 PM - 5 March, 2015
Quote:
I have enough mixers.

Blasphemy!!!
Gio Alex 7:53 PM - 5 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I have enough mixers.

Blasphemy!!!

Haha, maybe.
DJ UB 3:30 AM - 12 April, 2015
+1 for the DJM t1. it would be pioneer version of the rane with lot more to give.
deejdave 5:06 PM - 12 April, 2015
Out of curiosity what does the T1 have that ANY Rane mixer does not? At quick glance I am not sure if even the lowest caliber Rane mixer (Rane 61) is trumped by the T1 in terms of features. What specifically does the T1 have that the Rane mixers do not?
Gio Alex 3:12 PM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
Out of curiosity what does the T1 have that ANY Rane mixer does not? At quick glance I am not sure if even the lowest caliber Rane mixer (Rane 61) is trumped by the T1 in terms of features. What specifically does the T1 have that the Rane mixers do not?

It has everything that the 61 left out. Multiple cue point buttons. A dedicated scroll knob. Dedicated FX toggle buttons along with dedicated effects knows. They basically slapped a Traktor X1 right on the mixer itself. It literally is the perfect layout. You would not need an external unit like the pio ddj-sp1. Don't mean this in any condescending way what-so-ever, but have you carefully looked at the whole layout of the DJM-T1. It's no rane as for as the faders go, but it's a great mixer. You can always slap an innofader.

Also, the mixer went from 1699 to 599 when Traktor dropped the Z2. So it was an amazing price.

Rane or Serato screwed up with the 61. It really should've had all the features that the 57 had. But for some really odd reason they gave you a really stripped down version for the same price of what the 57 cost originally. It was and still is a really odd decision to me. I'll never understand why they did that. It basically made everyone say, welp "Might as well buy the 62."

I unfortunately let mine go last week. I sold it. I figured serato will leave us hanging and I decided to not hold my breathe.
DJ UB 11:28 PM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:

I guess Gio Alex said everything that was on my mind!!! The lay out alone it's worth paying the same price as 61 if it was supported. Plus now you have 3 layers of midi mapping!!! I don't know what else you would want?

Either the discussion is not between us, we all prefer a certain tool for our style.
it's about if serato willing to go through and make it dvs ready?
having it done... It would not be hard for serato specially since T1 is one of the advance mixer built. its just matter them allowing it (having the software unlock by plugging this in.
Gio Alex 12:39 AM - 14 April, 2015
Quote:
The lay out alone it's worth paying the same price as 61 if it was supported. Plus now you have 3 layers of midi mapping!!!

This right here.

It's really unfortunate.
deejdave 1:51 AM - 14 April, 2015
What about the other Rane mixers. The 61 is probably the least popular of all Rane/Serato mixers keep in mind for the very reasons you mentioned. Stack the T1 against a 62 and would you still feel the same?
Gio Alex 4:52 AM - 14 April, 2015
Quote:
What about the other Rane mixers. The 61 is probably the least popular of all Rane/Serato mixers keep in mind for the very reasons you mentioned. Stack the T1 against a 62 and would you still feel the same?

Not far comparison. the 62 is a mixer with built in hardware FX, Dual sound card. FX Loop. You an even route FX to the mic. Rane magnetic faders. It's just a completely differently mixer.

A fair comparison would be the Z2 vs the T1 and I'd chose the T1 any day over it. It weight just as much as the 909 or more. Not sure if you're familiar with the weight on those.
deejdave 10:57 PM - 14 April, 2015
1000% agreed. That's what I was trying to pull out. The statement above was just to general with citing the T1 as "A Rane with a lot more to give" which I am now understanding meant "the Rane 61 (specifically) with a lot more to give".
DJ UB 3:12 AM - 15 April, 2015
Quote:

Well Now comparing apple and oranges! BUTā€¦ if i were to make a commend (coming from a guy that has gone through half dozen or maybe more mixers)

1. 62 has 2 sounds card (so obviously person that needs that, they not even gonna look at 61 or the t1)
2. As is mentioned about with built in sound effects (some people like it) *I use to be a BIG fan of built in sound effects till software effects start growing on me

and for the DJM t1
1. back to the lay outā€¦ have now seen something well designed (yes there is a lot of you that thing some things need to be moved or improved! we talking general)
2. having exact about of knobs for the sound effects (as if it was controller make for sera to)
3. having multi layer of midi mappable which is really easy to use on the fly
4. it's pioneer and built with same quality of dim 900 and 850s and that family

andā€¦ if you were to have tag team with a buddy and 2 of you wanna spin? what about adding a SL box?

what hurts me the most is I know it's easy quite easy for Serato to add it to the list of "ready " unit for serato. but there is lotta politics and marketing and things going out with rane and serato and all that, that they might not.

i don't mean to sound so bias cuz i have a djmt1 and ddi sz, denon dn x1600 and djm 400

btw! if a friend has a T1. borrow it and play around with itā€¦ just don't fall in love if you help it cuz i don't know when serato gonna support it
Gio Alex 11:45 AM - 15 April, 2015
Quote:
what hurts me the most is I know it's easy quite easy for Serato to add it to the list of "ready " unit for serato. but there is lotta politics and marketing and things going out with rane and serato and all that, that they might not.

Exactly. Serato will claim it cost way too much money to support a mixer, but I still think it's politics. I think when companies really really need your money they go all out to give what the people want. When they're on top and a bit cocky, they do things that's guaranteed to make them money. I'm sure there's money involved in supported those A&H XONE Mixers and the Pioneer supported ones as well. I think also Pioneer wants to forget the DJM-T1 because they probably lost a lot of money. They probably also had a falling out with NI for all we know.
deejdave 8:52 PM - 15 April, 2015
In all fairness Serato has not crossed the Traktor line in any way as of yet so this may not be the typical support request. Politics involved? I guarantee it but this would be an understood and necessary example.
Quote:
Quote:

Well Now comparing apple and oranges! BUTā€¦ if i were to make a commend (coming from a guy that has gone through half dozen or maybe more mixers)

1. 62 has 2 sounds card (so obviously person that needs that, they not even gonna look at 61 or the t1)
2. As is mentioned about with built in sound effects (some people like it) *I use to be a BIG fan of built in sound effects till software effects start growing on me

and for the DJM t1
1. back to the lay outā€¦ have now seen something well designed (yes there is a lot of you that thing some things need to be moved or improved! we talking general)
2. having exact about of knobs for the sound effects (as if it was controller make for sera to)
3. having multi layer of midi mappable which is really easy to use on the fly
4. it's pioneer and built with same quality of dim 900 and 850s and that family

andā€¦ if you were to have tag team with a buddy and 2 of you wanna spin? what about adding a SL box?

i don't mean to sound so bias cuz i have a djmt1 and ddi sz, denon dn x1600 and djm 400

btw! if a friend has a T1. borrow it and play around with itā€¦ just don't fall in love if you help it cuz i don't know when serato gonna support it

Understand all of this and I agree. I just didn't realize by
Quote:
+1 for the DJM t1. it would be pioneer version of the rane with lot more to give.

you meant specifically the 61 which was what I was getting at. The thing is they are both two channel mixers which makes them the same fruit in my eyes. Different caliber I agree but this is due to features not variety. And again I don't think it is the Rane>Serato politics that would affect this but quite possibly the N.I.>Pioneer relationship. If it still exists or they plan on one in the future I don't see how Pioneer could sign off on adding Serato support for a mixer native to Traktor.

Of course this is purely speculation but seems to be a decent stab at it IMO.
DJ UB 5:34 AM - 10 August, 2015
Well boys and girls!!! I hostly don't think there would be support for dim t1 or the traktor z2 since pioneer just came on with the dim s9!!! Just my 2 cent! am an owner and thinking about switching over. but this is why i think there was no support for the dim t1 cuz no body will pay close to $1800-2100 for dim s9 where you could fun dim t1 or maybe z2 and might just be as good. btw i picked up my dim t1 for about $900 isn i think.
trayE 9:15 PM - 17 August, 2015
I sold mine 5 months ago. Bought a Vestax VCI-380 and Akai AMX (including the DVS pack) with the money :)
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:42 AM - 19 August, 2015
Hey DJ UB,

Quote:

Sorry, you have no information to back this up. When we support a mixer, we don't just flick a switch. Even with Club Kit support, we make special features to improve usability and compatibility, then spend many hours testing every aspect of the mixer and its interaction with our software. That doesn't happen for free, and each time we do it, its an opportunity cost for us, because we could have been using that time to build another feature, fix another bug, support another mixer etc.

We don't hold back support for certain mixers just to mess with you guys. We carefully choose what to do with our resources, to make sure what we do will be the most valuable thing we can do for our customers, and the business.

I have also gone in detail about other aspects of what helps us determine whether we should use resource to support mixers over here: serato.com in response to musiclee, requesting support for the Rane MP25. Please take the time to read this and perhaps you will understand our position better. Yes, generally we like to make an agreement with the hardware partner, but it isn't always the biggest factor. Its a lot more complicated than you assume.

If we had infinite resource, and it didn't cost us very much to support a mixer, we'd do many more! Why wouldn't we? It only opens up the doors for more users to jump on Serato DJ, which in our view, is exactly what we'd like to see. It simply comes down to a matter of limited resource and priorities.

For example; Tomorrow we could start on a new update for Pitch 'n Time DJ, or we could support the Pioneer DJM-T1. We can't do both, but what will impact our customers the most in a positive way? Which one will more people benefit from? They both potentially bring in some revenue for Serato.

Thats why we have people here at Serato whos job it is to determine which one is more valuable.. because everything we spend time doing comes at a cost.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:52 AM - 19 August, 2015
Quote:
When they're on top and a bit cocky, they do things that's guaranteed to make them money.

Please re-evaluate what you are saying here Gio Alex. Shall we do things that aren't likely to bring in revenue? Thats how you run a business into the ground.

Its not because we are cocky, its because we have to continue to bring in revenue to run a viable business. If we simply did what we want without consideration for what we will get in return, we won't last long, but we might have some fun for a short time.

Have you ever thought about all the ideas/business propositions that don't happen in the world every day, because they aren't a viable business? It happens all the time and its not because businesses have bad attitudes, its because they know how to run a business.
deejdave 11:07 PM - 19 August, 2015
The juice MUST be worth the squeeze. Makes perfect sense and is business 101.