Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

First day with sx2

stevie o 11:33 PM - 30 October, 2014
Mostly awesome, tried ery feature including two technics on each side. I even used the serato remote with it. Don't know why I guess it just looks cool. No problems with that. A lot of fun and in theory when some wrinkles are ironed out this will be the ultimate setup (minus remix decks and or bridge) However...... Bugs include The lights work when they want, the cpu goes ape shit when using effects, bad glitchy sound when using reverbs, program froze and almost crashed a few times. I was also running video and that froze often. No I'm not on a shit laptop either. I'm on a macbook fully upgraded. I even used it on my Mac pro which has an obnoxious out of ram
Cross fader works when it wants to using video also. Looks like a long road of bugs to fix before its perfect. I have a 6 hour gig tomorrow using serato video and I'll report back after that.
the0bone 8:18 AM - 31 October, 2014
May update the firmware before the gig. v1.04 is the latest one.
And may use the Beta 1.7.2 of SDJ... that also fixed some issues with the SX2... even if Betas should be used live :-)

At least this one "Bugs include The lights work when they want" is fixed in the beta.
stevie o 4:01 PM - 31 October, 2014
I tried to install the v1.04 firmware for ddjsx2 yesterday.Complete JAnkshop. Said my ddi sx2 wasn't connected when it was, The zip wouldn't open. Cpmplete fukery all around
stevie o 4:47 PM - 31 October, 2014
Just Installed 1.04 ( I needed to update Java.) Fuck Java. Also I am I am on 1.7.1 I didn't download 1.7.2 beta because I never trust beta.
Anyway, The ddi sx2 is working flawless with the new firmware. No Issues at all. I put it through the ringer for an hour. I will give a full report tomorrow because I am using it tonight anywhere from 4-6 hours,
shadow23 5:48 PM - 31 October, 2014
Good stuff stevie o! Been playing with my SX2 as well and also upgraded the FW yesterday. Happy days!
dj Krazey leo 2:04 PM - 1 November, 2014
Hey shadow23 not that you have the sx2 which controller do you like better the sx2 or the ns7ii ?
benictrs 3:33 PM - 1 November, 2014
Does the SX2 have a better sound quality compared to the original DDJ-SX ? Can you tell the difference ? I would assume they have equipped the SX2 with a new & better sound card .
shadow23 4:45 PM - 1 November, 2014
Quote:
Hey shadow23 not that you have the sx2 which controller do you like better the sx2 or the ns7ii ?

Hi dj Krazey, they are so different from each other so it's hard to choose. The SX2 has got some advantages on it's side. With the SX2 I can use it with Traktor if I had to (but integration is not as good compared to SDJ). It's lighter, smaller and easier to carry around. It has the dedicated flip buttons as well. It's also cheaper to buy if you look at the dollars side of things.

The NS7II although not as new and doesn't have the extra features that the SX2 has, it's still awesome in it's own right. Those moving platters are just so fun to use if you grew up using turntables, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Now for my own personal preference I'd go with the NS7II hands down. I know the SX2 is awesome too and it does have it's advantages over the NS7II. For now since the SX2 is just a few days old in my hands I can't help but play with it.

The SX2 will definitely be my choice to take doing parties because it's easier to carry around. You can still have some serious fun with the SX2 without a doubt. I'm just glad I have both to play with.
dj Krazey leo 7:22 PM - 1 November, 2014
Great thanks for the info sir I have the ns7 II and I wanted to know if I was missing anything major . By the way did you do any comparison with the sound on them ?
shadow23 10:39 PM - 1 November, 2014
Quote:
Great thanks for the info sir I have the ns7 II and I wanted to know if I was missing anything major . By the way did you do any comparison with the sound on them ?

Yes I have and the NS7II has better sound but the SX2 comes in at a close 2nd.
stevie o 11:03 PM - 1 November, 2014
The fader on the sx2 is pathetic. Everything else is great
shadow23 11:12 PM - 1 November, 2014
Quote:
The fader on the sx2 is pathetic. Everything else is great

Are you talking about all the faders or just the crossfader? If it's just about the crossfader, if the SX2 has the same crossfader as the SX then a simple innofader upgrade will be enough IMO.
shadow23 12:37 AM - 2 November, 2014
Also I'd like to confirm that SX2 is still using the same crossfader as the SX.
Soca_King 3:25 AM - 2 November, 2014
stevie o where did you order your sx2 from??????????????
stevie o 3:52 PM - 13 November, 2014
I replaced the cross fader with innofader mini. Still calibrating it. Not happy with it yet. I think I need to keep messing with settings. Also note to self. Don't scratch with quantized on.
shadow23 4:03 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
I replaced the cross fader with innofader mini. Still calibrating it. Not happy with it yet. I think I need to keep messing with settings. Also note to self. Don't scratch with quantized on.

I am quite happy with mine. Didn't need to calibrate it. I simply was a plug 'n' play for me.
stevie o 4:24 PM - 13 November, 2014
Then I must be doing something wrong.
shadow23 4:34 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
Then I must be doing something wrong.

No not really. You might want to tweak your cut in. I'm just happy with the way it is and just use the ssx2's crossfader curve to adjust the cut in, for me it's enough. To some they need a bit more.
stevie o 6:23 PM - 13 November, 2014
I have been tweaking and every time I turn on the sx2 again. The fader is open on both ends and I have to unscrew the faceplate and re calibrate. Annoying. Pioneer shit the bed with these faders.
shadow23 7:16 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
I have been tweaking and every time I turn on the sx2 again. The fader is open on both ends and I have to unscrew the faceplate and re calibrate. Annoying. Pioneer shit the bed with these faders.

That's odd. I don't have that problem with mine at all. Like I said I plugged it in and didn't touch anything (cut in or polarities) screwed the faceplate on and that was it. It's working as it should. Sad to hear your situation though.
jprime 8:51 PM - 13 November, 2014
How's the distance from the crossfader to turntable - it looks like quite a gap with teh SZ....is the SX2 pretty reasonable then? Not too big a stretch?
SG SOUNDS 8:54 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
Does the SX2 have a better sound quality compared to the original DDJ-SX ? Can you tell the difference ? I would assume they have equipped the SX2 with a new & better sound card .

From what I've been reading on the internet the SX2 has the same sound card as the SX...The DDJ SZ has the superior sound card..
benictrs 4:32 AM - 14 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

From what I've been reading on the internet the SX2 has the same sound card as the SX...The DDJ SZ has the superior sound card..

I sold my ddj-sx and i own the ddj-sz , i thought that pioneer has equipped the ddj-sx2 with a better sound card because it can now record the inputs and also has the timecode capability . Where did you read on the web that ddj-sx = ddj-sx2 on the sound cards quality ?
stevie o 9:02 PM - 14 November, 2014
Quote:
How's the distance from the crossfader to turntable - it looks like quite a gap with teh SZ....is the SX2 pretty reasonable then? Not too big a stretch?

Distance not an issue at all. Maybe im just used to improvising In different bars and club setups over the years but it's not an issue. Feels naturally actually.
jprime 9:30 PM - 14 November, 2014
Cool, cheers.