DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Anyone went from Serato To Traktor Or Traktor to Serato?

GusGomez 5:59 PM - 29 October, 2014
I was just wondering if anyone has made the transition and what their opinion on both is?
 6 7:06 PM - 29 October, 2014
Both have their place or they wouldn't exist. There are plenty of users on this board who use both.

I will wait for them to chime in. In the mean time, the only reason I never went to traktor was because of video.

nm
GusGomez 7:43 PM - 29 October, 2014
Quote:
Both have their place or they wouldn't exist. There are plenty of users on this board who use both.

I will wait for them to chime in. In the mean time, the only reason I never went to traktor was because of video.

nm

I was thinking of really giving Traktor a shot because i ran into a little issue yesterday i din't like at all...I wrote a post about it to see if anyone had the same issue but didn't get a reply... the problem is i was mixing at home practicing mixing and scratching and i noticed that when i would scratch on my DDJ SX in the middle of the song and i would right after (with my other hand) press the first Cue point to bring the song back to the beginning i would have a delay before the song started again, It's very strange because i actually saw someone doing the same thing on youtube but he was using Traktor with the NI S4 and he had absolutely no delay at all.
jprime 7:59 PM - 29 October, 2014
I use both programs myself. Traktor, I have a copy for messing around with controllerist type stuff. I get a kick out of tinkering with different mappings and getting different controllers to work together.

When I play out, it's serato though. I find serato to be more stable and less CPU intensive. I also prefer the library in serato.
Mr. Goodkat 9:53 PM - 29 October, 2014
its tough to go to traktor imo after using ssl or sdj. ive used SSL since the end of 06, and i tried to get into traktor thru the a6 and z2, but i never really liked it other than just using it like serato sl or dj. I can use it now and still have an a10 but i never really use it much.

Personally, i still think the time code is tighter and sounds better but thats just me. its only a few hundred dollars, why not try it?
Mr. Goodkat 10:02 PM - 29 October, 2014
and are you sure you don't have quantize on?
DJ Irv 1:58 PM - 30 October, 2014
I have pretty much switched from SSL/57SL to TSP2.6/Z2. After using a simple program like Serato for years Traktor takes a lot getting use to. If you are not patient with learning new things Traktor is not for you. Traktor is far more advanced in most features, midi, effects, and customizing but, serato has a simpler GUI and is like a toaster easy and it just works.

I suspect that DDJ SX's jog wheels might respond better in SDJ but, I am not sure since, I don't ever touch controllers. I say you should ask people who can actually scratch in the Traktor forum and try avoid all the Traktor sucks / Serato sucks debate since it's pointless.
DJ Inubito 4:30 PM - 30 October, 2014
I like to say that Serato is "DJ software"... in the fact that if all you want to do is traditional DJing it works FANTASTIC.

However, if you are interested in breaking into more of the controllerism/live PA and production kind of stuff, then by all means Traktor is where it's at. I don't really think one is better than the other, they both do the job.

Personally i've always preferred the interface of Serato compared to Traktor.... Traktor's interface is just really "busy" for me.
gfella 5:01 PM - 30 October, 2014
Quote:

Personally, i still think the time code is tighter and sounds better but thats just me.

Do you use the performance series vinyl or the regular vinyl?
I find the performance vinyl as good as Traktor vinyl.
Only the average Serato vinyl is thicker.
Personally I like the manual calibration better in SSL/SDJ, sometimes the calibration in TSP act strange.
XCAKID 5:14 PM - 30 October, 2014
Went from Traktor to VDJ to Serato.

Traktor was just to technical for me and did not do videos. VDJ was awesome to do videos on, but sucked donkey balls using it with timecode like turntables. I though VDJ8 would fix that, but it only made it worse. SSL and SDJ is a good happy medium for me that works. The video capabilities are OK, not great.
djnak 6:11 PM - 30 October, 2014
Quote:
SSL and SDJ is a good happy medium for me that works. The video capabilities are OK, not great.

Mix Emrgency son....
eugguy 6:30 PM - 30 October, 2014
SDJ= Traktor + SSL...kind of...haha
grrillatactics 2:28 AM - 31 October, 2014
I was on SSL for a long time, but switched to Traktor. After getting really deep with creating my own midi mappings for controllers, I'm unlikely to switch back to SDJ, but I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Serato products. Both platforms have their strengths and their weaknesses, so it all depends on what you prioritize as being most important.
dj_soo 5:06 AM - 31 October, 2014
I feel like serato excels at traditional 2 decks and a mixer djing while traktor is better at live-pa style remixing.

Both are getting closer to parity in terms of their strengths and weaknesses.

The thing that turns me off traktor is the library system. Serato's library is just so much better suited to my style of djing
dj_soo 5:08 AM - 31 October, 2014
Quote:

I suspect that DDJ SX's jog wheels might respond better in SDJ but, I am not sure since, I don't ever touch controllers.

They do. Sdj native controllers have access to high resolution jog wheels whereas traktor 3rd party controllers don't. The only traktor controllers that get access to high resolution jog wheels are the s-series controllers.
GusGomez 12:28 PM - 31 October, 2014
I would love to try Traktor but my issue with it is the hardware i haven't seen any hardware (Controller) for Traktor that compare to the NS7 or NS7ii or even the SX for that matter. The Traktor S4 looks good but my concern are those tiny jog wheels and to be honest doing a gig with it might look unprofessional IMO, but then again i haven't seen it in person im only going by youtube and size.

Also I've tried everything and that damn delay is still there it's pretty annoying and I beginning to think its a hardware issue with the SX.