Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

ΑΚΑΙ ΑΜΧ

nikodb 11:45 AM - 29 October, 2014
Is an AMX capable to reproduce USB or CD media from any cd player it self, if Serato Dj THRU mode is activated ?

Cheers
Nik
DJ Ed Wong 12:41 AM - 30 October, 2014
My understanding (and I have an AMX) is that the AMX does NOT have a Thru mode.

The 1 and 2 inputs are for reading the DVS TimeCode signal ONLY (and you have to but the DVS add on)

As far as I know (but I have not tried, merely noted the comments from Serato), you can not plug a CD player into the 1 or 2 input, and expect it to play through Serto and be mixed into the output channel.

At my last gig, where I needed "Thru" to play CDs, I ran the CD players (and the AMX) through another mixer (in my case a Rane MP2)
nikodb 1:08 AM - 30 October, 2014
thanks man...yeah i read its not a standalone mixer..i did hope that it could be work on THRU at least...but seems like it wont...

Appreciate the help
Nik
DJ Ed Wong 1:16 AM - 30 October, 2014
For $250 - it does an awful lot!

(now if there was a way to get Serato to work with the Rane MP26)
nikodb 1:29 AM - 30 October, 2014
I hear ya,

its 350 for me as i ll need the DVS pack as well...will see...i wouldn't care the fact its not a stand alone mixer, as long as i had the option to play music from other media while paired with some cdjs...on thru mode...i ll still probably buy it though :)

cheers
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:36 AM - 30 October, 2014
Hi nikodb,

Quote:
Is an AMX capable to reproduce USB or CD media from any cd player it self, if Serato Dj THRU mode is activated ?

Yes you can use Thru mode when connected to Serato DJ, allowing you play normal vinyl or CDs. This only works when connected to Serato DJ, the unit is not a standalone mixer.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Michael.
DJ Ed Wong 1:39 AM - 30 October, 2014
Oh -

(egg on face)
DJ Ed Wong 1:52 AM - 30 October, 2014
Noob question - where is THRU mode in Serato DJ 1.7.1

Or is that only available if I get the DVS option?

(which would STILL be so worth it)
DJ Ed Wong 2:09 AM - 30 October, 2014
Holy Crap

Went and bought the DVS expansion

And THRU mode works

Which means I can use the AMX as a "mixer"

No Mic input, tho one could hack that by using an external conversion of Mic to Line via a Mic Pre-Amp - tho that does not address the mono (mic) to stereo issue, again addressable via a Y cable or proper H pad.... and sort of silly as I have the proper hardware to do it right if I needed to...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:21 AM - 30 October, 2014
Hey DJ Ed Wong,

Yes sorry I should have made it clear that you need the DVS expansion pack for Thru mode, but it seems that you've found that already ;)

Cheers,
Michael.
DJ Ed Wong 3:34 AM - 30 October, 2014
This makes for a lightweight rig for my smaller gigs!

And the EQ and Filter work too (which makes some sense)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:35 AM - 30 October, 2014
Yeah, it's a pretty powerful controller especially once you add on the DVS expansion pack :)
DJ Ed Wong 3:50 AM - 30 October, 2014
(face - palm)

As in burn a CD....
nikodb 11:18 AM - 30 October, 2014
Quote:
Yeah, it's a pretty powerful controller especially once you add on the DVS expansion pack :)

Cool stuff...yeah, i WAS kind of wondering how it was able to read and reproduce timecoded signal....and at the same time (supposingly) having a restriction on regular Audio THRU...

You may want to clarify this on your product section Michael...People around this forum and not only limited to this forum...are indeed talking, that it ain't capable of reproducing any other media and limited to the Serato Timecode it self.

Cheers
Nik
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 9:43 PM - 30 October, 2014
Hey Nik,

Good point, we'll update the product page!

Cheers,
Michael.
musiclee 10:31 PM - 30 October, 2014
DJ Ed Wong

I feel your pain
I have an MP25
Amazing how a $250 non-Rane mixer opens SDJ
And a $2,000 Rane mixer doesn't.... Sad..
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:03 PM - 30 October, 2014
Hi musiclee,

It's nothing to do with price, the Akai AMX was designed for use with Serato DJ, the Rane MP25 was not. Unfortunately there are no plans to support the Rane MP25 in Serato DJ.

Cheers,
Michael.
DJ Ed Wong 12:46 AM - 31 October, 2014
@MusicLee

To be honest, I got the MP26, less for the "maybe it will run Serato" and more for the "its a 19" rack mixer that addresses the issues I had in terms of features on the old skool MP44, and the MP44 is discontinued"

The features on the mixer alone made it worth while (I use the send to effects loop to create a sub mix so I can run both a mix with and without MIC to different parts of the PA)

It would be really cool, even as an add on, to have the Rane "open up"; I'd pay good money for the feature.

But, I suspect the market is rather limited.

So - saving up points for a SL4.
Mike from Chicago 1:04 PM - 31 October, 2014
Hey guys! I'm looking to buy the Akai AFX Serato DJ Controller, does this replace an SL Box? Is it the same concept?
nikodb 1:46 PM - 31 October, 2014
Hey Mike,

AFx is an accessory device and does not replace the need for any Serato Primary hardware.

Everything you see in the accessories section are secondary devices...They can only be used in addition to any primary device (Serato interfaces, Serato Mixers , Serato controllers).. and even for the some they do carry their own soundcards (like the cdjs), they still wont unlock the Serato if used alone.

Cheers
Nik
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 8:30 PM - 2 November, 2014
Hey Mike from Chicago,

Nik is correct, the Akai AFX is an accessory and requires a supported Serato DJ device (e.g. a supported Rane interface box) to unlock the software still. The Akai AMX is Serato DJ enabled, and will unlock the software. I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Michael.