DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

A statement on todays music

Dj-M.Bezzle 5:05 AM - 22 October, 2014
www.cbc.ca

Thats right, Taylor Swift just released 8 secs of silence and it went to #1 on the charts.
Mr. Goodkat 5:12 AM - 22 October, 2014
www.stereogum.com

''Shake It Off” had us worried. The greatest pop songwriter of her generation was somehow trying to go Full Pop and ending up with a bratty, sub-”Hollaback Girl” cheerleader chant that Avril Lavigne wouldn’t have been able to sell in 2006. ''

''This one glitters beautifully and still hits home. –Tom''
DJMark 8:28 AM - 22 October, 2014
I don't think it's really a statement about "today's music" as much as it is about Mindless Teen Fandom.

I feel pretty confident that if the iTunes Music Store had existed in 1964, and a similar glitch had happened with The Beatles (or even the Dave Clark Five), the same thing would have been the result.

Back in that era (and well into the 70's), there was a lot of business with shady compilation albums that would release mocked-up versions of popular songs. One such outfit used a group they called The Original Artists so they could advertise "all hits by the original artists". You'd think "how could people be so stupid" but plenty of them were....
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:48 AM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
You'd think "how could people be so stupid" but plenty of them were....

never underestimate the stupidity of people, it still amazes me
DJMark 9:00 AM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
never underestimate the stupidity of people

I never do LOL.

Actually a better/fairer comparison in my previous post would have involved 1957 and Ricky Nelson or Pat Boone. The Beatles and Dave Clark Five were both groups of legitimate musicians who deserve no comparison with the likes of Taylor Swift.
DJ GaFFle 5:06 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
www.cbc.ca

Thats right, Taylor Swift just released 8 secs of silence and it went to #1 on the charts.

Reminds me of: Watchwww.youtube.com
Taipanic 5:49 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
www.cbc.ca

Reminds me of: Watchwww.youtube.com

Knew that was coming!
rayjthedj 6:02 PM - 22 October, 2014
I am little tired of Taylor Swift music, because my daughter has played it to much and I have had to play way to much of it at MS and HS dances.

I do not think she is a great singer, probably slightly above average compared to most of the auto-tuned trash I hear on my Prime Cuts Disks. However, she can write and produce what the teens want to hear and many young adults in their 30's. She is a business model to be reckoned with and she is in total control of her life and music, not a lot of artist can say that.

She has proved when trying to sing with the great artist of the past, she does not have the vocal range that it took to become a mega star, back when most had to actually be able to sing to sell a record.

Compared to a lot of the Rock, Hip-Hop, Rap and Country that is out today, she is a very safe artist for a mobile DJ to play.

Of course my market is primarily very conservative, I rarely play a drinking event, which keeps me away from the drunks, dope heads and thugs with (I will paraphrase my favorite star from American Idle) "hats on side ways, looking like a fool with their pants on the ground )
skinnyguy 6:09 PM - 22 October, 2014
it's not available anymore! i must have this rare track!

....i wonder if there's a music video for that too....
Mr. Goodkat 2:19 AM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:
I rarely play a drinking event, which keeps me away from the drunks, dope heads and thugs with

MY PEOPLE !
d:raf 5:06 AM - 23 October, 2014
I remember picking up an mp3 off of E-music back when I was less picky about bitrates; the preview had hiccups and glitches in it; at the time I though it was my internet connection. Nope...

cdn.bloody-disgusting.com
DJ Reflex 2:24 AM - 24 October, 2014
Watchwww.youtube.com

Pretty much sums it up too!
DJ Reflex 2:29 AM - 24 October, 2014
I remember buying the Poison Album "Open Up And Say Ahh" with the full devil face on it. Everyone thought it was gonna be a huge "collector item" because of the censorship... nope, just ended up in another used CD bin at the local Disc-Go-Round for $3.99. These fads come and go - so will Taylor Swift.

But like raythedj said, at this point Taylor Swift is pretty safe for my MS and HS dances. Once thought that about Avril Lavigne and Britney Spears until they started dropping F-bombs and starting each song off with 'bitch".

It's the evolution of things I guess. This is what keeps DJs on their toes - following all these trends.
rayjthedj 12:43 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I rarely play a drinking event, which keeps me away from the drunks, dope heads and thugs with

MY PEOPLE !

With years, will come change :)
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:37 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MY PEOPLE !

With years, will come change :)

If your not playin for drunks, dope heads, or thugs, thats all you gettin....change, nickels abd dimes son
rayjthedj 1:42 PM - 24 October, 2014
Just the opposite DAD, the people that don't want to be in those environments are more than willing to spend large coin to stay away from that environment and have someone who can supply quality equipment and keep the music clean.

I Djed for that crowd in the 70's and 80's, and didn't make near the money per gig, I do now. My results, yours may be entirely different.

Good luck!
Joee 1:49 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
If your not playin for drunks, dope heads, or thugs, thats all you gettin....change, nickels abd dimes son

this statement tells me that you are a bar/night club dj most of the time?

do you do many private functions? I.E weddings birthday parties sweet 16's?
Logisticalstyles 3:25 PM - 24 October, 2014
I think Bezzle was joking (I hope). Besides we all know drug heads love dealing with nickels and dimes.
Joee 3:33 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
Besides we all know drug heads love dealing with nickels and dimes.

LOL…...
Mr. Goodkat 4:43 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
I Djed for that crowd in the 70's and 80's, and didn't make near the money per gig, I do now.

private gigs do pay more, but its just not the same as rocking clubs.
CMOS 5:07 PM - 24 October, 2014
No drinking, no drugs, no fun.

:P
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:51 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

this statement tells me that you are a bar/night club dj most of the time?

do you do many private functions? I.E weddings birthday parties sweet 16's?

What kind of weddings and birthday partys do not include drinking? (im willing to bet theres a hand full of dope heads at that sweet 16 party as well)
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:52 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
Just the opposite DAD, the people that don't want to be in those environments are more than willing to spend large coin to stay away from that environment and have someone who can supply quality equipment and keep the music clean.

I Djed for that crowd in the 70's and 80's, and didn't make near the money per gig, I do now. My results, yours may be entirely different.

Good luck!
Oh please, those lames aint spendin change.
Mr. Goodkat 6:09 PM - 24 October, 2014
you know private parties are now at 500-1000 bez.

i dont know anyone in my area getting more than 4-500 on a Saturday, much less the other days of the week. I'm sure if you get door or bar percentage, some guys get more, but that is pretty rare as far as ive heard for local djs. travelling djs is a diff situation, but thats a pretty small percentage of djs.
Joee 6:10 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
What kind of weddings and birthday partys do not include drinking?

you right carry on!!!!!!!
d:raf 6:37 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:

What kind of weddings and birthday partys do not include drinking? (im willing to bet theres a hand full of dope heads at that sweet 16 party as well)

I've played a few... I live in the Bible Belt.

Just down the road from me they're voting to allow alcohol sales for the first time within county limits. wlos.com
 6 6:37 PM - 24 October, 2014
Joee is proof that drinking is fun

With his drunk thread.

lol

nm
SpareChange 6:41 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:

Hey I Resemble that remark
Joee 6:47 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
Joee is proof that drinking is fun

With his drunk thread.

lol

nm

lol…..
rayjthedj 2:18 AM - 25 October, 2014
I am the Prime Vendor DJ at the local wedding carriage house, they stay booked from May -Nov each year. They allow no drinking anywhere on the property, and smoking in one small outside location. People are on a waiting list for this place. So I know of dozens of no drinking weddings that take place in my area each year.

It is less than a mile from my house and I get $750.00 to $1,200.00 per event. No drive time, set ups are two tops and a sub, lighting is different for each event. All events are over by 10:30 as the party has to clear the property, with everything cleaned up before midnight.

I usually play from 7:00 to 9:30, some times 10:00. If I do the ceremony, I get more money and I start around 5:30.

These are not rich couples, even though the basic rent for the property for Friday and Saturday combined is 3K, that does not include anything but the property rent.

I gained the gig last year when I bailed a MIA DJ out, and then did a couple private parties for older couples, one being the owners. When they heard the quality of my sound and the fact that I could keep the volume at the proper level by dance floor layout and speaker placement, they asked me to come on as the prime. No kick backs required. It does help that we have been neighbors for 20 years and are both Christian families and I have gone to church with the owners kids for years.
Mr. Goodkat 3:26 AM - 25 October, 2014
sounds about right ray. these days most solid club gigs for locals only get as high as 400 in my area(a top 5 metro area, plenty of money) and i know many cities are less.

ex. today i got a call to fill in on a Sat for 250$. from 05-09, that would have been 400$ or at least 350$. Ive started doing private gigs because like you say, they are short, early and pay as much as bar/club gigs. No EDM, no wack clubs, and no bad mgmt, which is what clubs have become in my area. I still hang on to 1 and fill in, but im getting more an more mobiles. Then i can take good guest gigs and/or hang with the drunks, dopers and/or ho's.
 6 7:55 AM - 25 October, 2014
Does it really matter? The fact is that private gigs pay more than your typical club or bar. However, alcohol vs non alcohol gigs could be about the same. I personally haven't ever DJed an event where no alcohol was served. Not one. (Schools excluded, of course)

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:03 PM - 25 October, 2014
Quote:
Does it really matter? The fact is that private gigs pay more than your typical club or bar. However, alcohol vs non alcohol gigs could be about the same. I personally haven't ever DJed an event where no alcohol was served. Not one. (Schools excluded, of course)

nm
this, plus drunks are easier to deal with
DJ Reflex 8:17 AM - 26 October, 2014
Dealt with drunk wedding guests tonight... no fun! Everything was going great until some idiot decided to run around with no pants on and get everyone rilled up. Crazy!
DJ VEE 7:30 PM - 26 October, 2014
Quote:
I am the Prime Vendor DJ at the local wedding carriage house, they stay booked from May -Nov each year. They allow no drinking anywhere on the property, and smoking in one small outside location. People are on a waiting list for this place. So I know of dozens of no drinking weddings that take place in my area each year.

It is less than a mile from my house and I get $750.00 to $1,200.00 per event. No drive time, set ups are two tops and a sub, lighting is different for each event. All events are over by 10:30 as the party has to clear the property, with everything cleaned up before midnight.

I usually play from 7:00 to 9:30, some times 10:00. If I do the ceremony, I get more money and I start around 5:30.

These are not rich couples, even though the basic rent for the property for Friday and Saturday combined is 3K, that does not include anything but the property rent.

I gained the gig last year when I bailed a MIA DJ out, and then did a couple private parties for older couples, one being the owners. When they heard the quality of my sound and the fact that I could keep the volume at the proper level by dance floor layout and speaker placement, they asked me to come on as the prime. No kick backs required. It does help that we have been neighbors for 20 years and are both Christian families and I have gone to church with the owners kids for years.

WOW! That's nice. Hang on to that one. That sounds like a good deal for you. Is it the only one around or something? That place would be closing it's doors due to lack if buisness out my way.
rayjthedj 7:41 PM - 26 October, 2014
No we actually have three barn style, outdoor wedding venues. This one is the nicest. I have played or done set up and sound check and let my nephew play at the others.

It is a great place to play and I hope they keep it open and me as the prime DJ for the next several years.
Daktyl 9:32 PM - 26 October, 2014
DJ Reflex 10:18 PM - 26 October, 2014
^^ Awesome! ^^
Joee 10:30 PM - 26 October, 2014

i don't know it sounds like a intro to the upcoming beat to me