DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Anyone in Ric. Va. area with a zxa5 to meetup and do a friendly speaker battle.

desmorider 8:29 PM - 21 October, 2014
Would like to meetup and do a quick speaker comparison with another 15inch 2 way.
pdidy 1:14 AM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
Would like to meetup and do a quick speaker comparison with another 15inch 2 way.

Please list the other 15inch 2 way you own.
DJ GaFFle 1:19 AM - 22 October, 2014
Dude must be packin' a pair of RCF TT5-A's.
desmorider 1:58 AM - 22 October, 2014
Art 745a should be arriving tomorrow or thurs. Was up in the air on that or a set of zxa5's. Will get a set of which ever ones I like better. I have kw152's that I will most likely sell tomorrow, if the guy has the cash.
pdidy 4:12 AM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
Dude must be packin' a pair of RCF TT5-A's.

LOL....yea, anything that beats the zxa5 in output will likely be much more expensive.
pdidy 4:25 AM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
Art 745a should be arriving tomorrow or thurs. Was up in the air on that or a set of zxa5's. Will get a set of which ever ones I like better. I have kw152's that I will most likely sell tomorrow, if the guy has the cash.

My educated guess is the the zxa5 will beat the art745 in raw power and output but the 745 should win in sound quality due to the 4" hi freq driver. The 745 will also win in DSP protection because as we already know the zxa5 virtually has none and requires external DSP protection in order to keep it safe at hi volumes.
Joee 9:22 AM - 22 October, 2014
one of us zxa5 owners needs to pull the trigger and buy a 745 to compare…..
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:39 PM - 22 October, 2014
lol...says the RCF rep! lol

That should be your job!

Got my ZXAs back by the way. They said that 2-4db difference is within the norm for each speaker. No mention on the other woofer and why it was different, but they said everything is 100% functional.
Joee 1:52 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
That should be your job!

your right but i just spent $4,000 in 4 months on rcf products two 905's & one evox ,so i need to chill for a bit…….lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:55 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
That should be your job!

your right but i just spent $4,000 in 4 months on rcf products two 905's & one evox ,so i need to chill for a bit…….lol

Until next month... :).
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:56 PM - 22 October, 2014
@ DJ Gaffle....

That Avatar.........Need the full size for my.....

umm...

Research purposes.......
desmorider 1:57 PM - 22 October, 2014
They left it with the mismatched woofers and uneven sound? If so, that's pretty weak from a manufacturers standpoint. Im surprised at ev, because their customer service is usually second to none.
Joee 2:01 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
Until next two to four month... :).

fixed

i still need to get a ddj sz,hd32's & two more 905's…..than i will think about the 745's

Quote:
Im surprised at ev, because their customer service is usually second to none.

i think came with the woofer the same matching pair…but they are different than whats in my zxa5
DJ GaFFle 2:11 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That should be your job!

Until next month... :).

LMAO! Man, if I had the loot and didn't want to step up my lighting game, I'd strongly consider the Evox 8's. I think I'd only need one. As an example, I have to provide cocktail music between a ceremony and reception this weekend. That Evox 8 would be great.

Quote:
@ DJ Gaffle....

That Avatar.........Need the full size for my.....

umm...

Research purposes.......

Yessir... I'd buy it full size if it existed. Let me know if you come across a better quality pic. Man, I use to stare at her album covers for hours when I was a kid... hers and the Ohio Players joints!
Joee 2:38 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
LMAO! Man, if I had the loot and didn't want to step up my lighting game,

i'm thinking about getting four moving heads myself looking at these @ $250 each
www.adj.com

i'm not sure as i don't have experience with moving heads, what are some that i should look at?
DJ GaFFle 2:53 PM - 22 October, 2014
Depends on how vested you want to be in lighting. In typical fashion, I'm gonna buy-once-cry-once and get these: www.planetdj.com

The Chauvet Intimidator 355z's. I'll put them on my truss totem style and add a base plate and keep it moving. I'll probably just have my pair of ADJ Megapixels on a single tripod behind my DJ booth for general floor lighting. I just need to raise the funds at this point. Having a toddler steps on all my DJ toy purchases so I gotta be strategic in rai$ing the funds.
Joee 2:57 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
Depends on how vested you want to be in lighting.

i want to have a good light show while still being as small/light as possible
DJ GaFFle 4:05 PM - 22 October, 2014
It seems like that light you posted is pretty lightweight as far as light output (only 12W). That lighting may get lost w/o heavy haze or fog. I would not invest in any mover less than the Chauvet QSpot260's type quality personally. I've had ho-hum lights in the past and they barely light the dance floor unless the environment is really dark or haze is involved. I rarely get a chance to use my haze machine so the light's gotta have some punch.
DJ GaFFle 4:11 PM - 22 October, 2014
... sorry. Yeah, I have have ZXA5's but unless you live in Atlanta, I can't meet up. :)

Quote:

My educated guess is the the zxa5 will beat the art745 in raw power and output but the 745 should win in sound quality due to the 4" hi freq driver. The 745 will also win in DSP protection because as we already know the zxa5 virtually has none and requires external DSP protection in order to keep it safe at hi volumes.

I agree with this. I bet I would actually be happier with the Art 745's because I'm more of a fan of the sound quality. A 4" hi frequency driver is no joke. The overall sound is probably smooth as hell w/ no harshness what so ever.
Joee 4:41 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
I would not invest in any mover less than the Chauvet QSpot260's type quality personally

noted i see they sell for $600 i can probably get them at $400 to $500…gonna look into them

thanks
Joee 4:56 PM - 22 October, 2014
@DJ GaFFle

this one is looking very cool! the light in the room is on and you can still see how bight the led is

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ GaFFle 5:10 PM - 22 October, 2014
^^^ Those are good.
DJ GaFFle 5:15 PM - 22 October, 2014
Here's a comparison of the Pocket versions vs the one you just posted: Watchwww.youtube.com

Wireless DMX
Changeable gobos (ie: wedding or school logos)
Brighter @ 50W vs 12W
Wider beam angle vs the super narrow 12W angle
3 prism capability
Rotating gobos

The only advantage the Pocket version has is size/weight/price.
Joee 5:16 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
^^^ Those are good.

now i'm looking at these too,DAMN……johnny may have been right……lol

wireless uplighting for $199, i'm sure i can get it cheaper maybe $150
Watchwww.youtube.com
Joee 5:21 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
Here's a comparison of the Pocket versions vs the one you just posted: Watchwww.youtube.com

Wireless DMX
Brighter @ 50W vs 12W
3 prism capability
Rotating gobos

i saw this he says the brightens is about the same, but he's using smoke
desmorider 5:53 PM - 22 October, 2014
Damn, thought we were talking about speakers here. Joee where are you located? Might have to make a day trip or send you the 745 to test. Im going to call chuck levin's, maybe they have the zxa5 on the floor. It has been years since i heard those. Very impressive. LMK
Joee 6:30 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
to make a day trip or send you the 745 to test

i'm with that…located in phila.pa

Quote:
or send you the 745 to test.

this is a option too…lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:03 PM - 22 October, 2014
dmftp.nl

I'm saluting that sweater she has on....
DJ Val-BKNY11203 9:37 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
dmftp.nl

My fav pic of her.
DJ GaFFle 11:07 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
dmftp.nl

Thank you sir! I wouldn't mind putting a pic like this on a t-shirt.
DJ GaFFle 11:16 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Wireless DMX
Brighter @ 50W vs 12W
3 prism capability
Rotating gobos

i saw this he says the brightens is about the same, but he's using smoke

Whenever you have a more tighter beam (very narrow like the 12W unit), it enhances the perceived brightness. If the 12W unit had the wide angle like the 50W unit, it would appear super dim. Narrow isn't really desired for spot movers, you want a decent spread.

@ Ducati rider, I recommend you send your 745 to Joee the RCF rep. Let him do a thorough comparison to the current king of powered DJ speakers.
Joee 11:59 PM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
@ Ducati rider, I recommend you send your 745 to Joee the RCF rep. Let him do a thorough comparison to the current king of powered DJ speakers.

i agree!!!!!

1000%!!!!!!!!!!! i won't even charge for my services……. :)
desmorider 12:03 AM - 23 October, 2014
The 745 arrived today. It sounds really clean. The horn is outstanding. Not that i think the kw152 is loud, but its the only powered speaker i have to compare it to, and it gets louder than the 152 and sounds better doing it. I might have to go grab a couple of passive tops from the storage unit to compare it with.
DJKayce 1:28 AM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:

I Personally still thinks that ZXA5 will beat the 745 going according to their specs on paper.
ZXA5 = LF 1000W + HF 250W Continuos/Rms
745 = LF 500W + HF 200W Rms
745 might sound a bit smoother cos of the voice coils on them but deff will not be louder than ZXA5.
I own 4 pairs of ZXA5's including 2 white ones. I've used these speakers in the last 5 yrs with no issues.
I will buy any speaker that beats ZXA5 in output so am waiting for the real world testing of the 745.
desmorider 2:08 AM - 23 October, 2014
If you think the zxa5 is 1250 watts rms then you have been sipping on the ev kool-aid. Just look up the specs of the dvx3150 woofer and nd2-16 hf driver. 1250 rms is not happening. Most speaker manufacturers lie about the specs, so as consumers don't get caught up in the numbers. Their is no doubt in my mind that the zxa5 is "KING DING-A-LING", in its class when it comes to getting loud at that price point. Just trying to explore other options out there at this time. Also remember that the zxa5 is running which is also allowing it to get louder and self destruct with an inexperienced user. Also look at the specs on the passive version. Please dont think that im hating on the ev's, they are great and i might end up with a set.
desmorider 2:13 AM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I Personally still thinks that ZXA5 will beat the 745 going according to their specs on paper.
ZXA5 = LF 1000W + HF 250W Continuos/Rms
745 = LF 500W + HF 200W Rms
745 might sound a bit smoother cos of the voice coils on them but deff will not be louder than ZXA5.
I own 4 pairs of ZXA5's including 2 white ones. I've used these speakers in the last 5 yrs with no issues.
I will buy any speaker that beats ZXA5 in output so am waiting for the real world testing of the 745.

Ha. Specs on paper. If we all went by those we would all own pyle,boss,gli, and pyramid. 50,000 watts for $150. Talk about bang for the buck. 😊
DJKayce 3:05 AM - 23 October, 2014
Ha. Specs on paper. If we all went by those we would all own pyle,boss,gli, and pyramid. 50,000 watts for $150. Talk about bang for the buck. 😊

I got your point bro. Usually I don't go by the specs but ZXA5 got me to believe in it. The real rms on it is 500w on the LF. But the output on them are crazy loud. Am in Maryland which is 3hrs away from you. But am not into A/Bing speakers. I like to test speakers in a real LIVE event then I can compare. I do events every weekend for almost 500 + ppl type, so far only the Yorkville Ls801p & ZXA5's can keep up with the demand. And I've used all the powered speakers out there thus far(Within the price range of ZXA5). JBL got my eyes too(LAP Series) but the price is way off the roof. Since the 745 are in same price range with ZXA5, am interested to see how they hold up.

Again CONGRATS on the new purchase. Let me know how they sound when you use them at a LIVE event.
Joee 1:03 PM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:
ZXA5 = LF 1000W + HF 250W Continuos

these numbers are only stating the rms output of the amp modle

now the actual components are a different story the ev zxa5 woofer is only 500W rms & the horn is only 40W rms
Joee 1:07 PM - 23 October, 2014
zxa5 woofer--> imageshack.com
DJ GaFFle 1:09 PM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
ZXA5 = LF 1000W + HF 250W Continuos

these numbers are only stating the rms output of the amp modle

now the actual components are a different story the ev zxa5 woofer is only 500W rms & the horn is only 40W rms

Correct and remember, the one of the main differences in an EV DVX3150 woofer, compared to say a JBL SRX 15" or any other company's 15" woofer, is it's efficiency. The EV's driver may be much more efficient and take less power to deliver the same SPL.
Joee 1:13 PM - 23 October, 2014
my experience with these rcf's leads me to believe that the very efficient also
desmorider 2:06 PM - 23 October, 2014
The 1250 watts rms is not even the real amp module output. Unless ev has figured out a way to defeat ohms law. They say that the zxa5 can use 3-4 amps of current on a 120 volt line. They recommend no more then 3 zxa5's on a 15 amp line of power. If you were to place a zxa5 on a test bench running a test signal 100% duty cycle the amp module would need 10 amps of current and need to be 100% efficient to make 1200 watts of power. If the amp module uses class d topology it might be in the 80% efficiency range. Of course music is dynamic and the duty cycle is not 100% like a test tone on a bench. Once again im not bashing the zxa5, it is a beast of a speaker, and definately does its thing. Just speaking on the bullshit power ratings that most manufactures use to draw attention to their products. Sorry about spelling mistakes, im on my cell phone. Haha, maybe we should talk about $500-$1000 rca cables next.
desmorider 2:11 PM - 23 October, 2014
Joee,
What does your schedule look like next week. I might be able to free up some time for a road trip to you. I haven't had a good 2ft cheesesteak in a few years. Get at me.
Joee 2:24 PM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:
Joee,
What does your schedule look like next week. I might be able to free up some time for a road trip to you. I haven't had a good 2ft cheesesteak in a few years. Get at me.

any day besides friday or saturday ……i'm good

i have the next best thing to pat's or geno's steaks 5 minutes away from my house steves prince of steaks!
DJKayce 2:51 PM - 23 October, 2014
Hey desmorider, am very much interested on hearing about them RCF 745. Pls keep me posted. Am in Maryland.