Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Video ghosts

Frost82 1:18 PM - 13 October, 2014
While using Video-SL, I have noticed as things/people are moving it seems as though the images are trying to "catch up" with itself. It also seems to be moving a little slower. I just purchased a newer computer than my 1st, which has a better graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB), but this never happened with my older computer. What should my settings be? I have never changed anything since I bought the program.
DJ Tecniq 1:28 PM - 13 October, 2014
Quote:
While using Video-SL, I have noticed as things/people are moving it seems as though the images are trying to "catch up" with itself. It also seems to be moving a little slower. I just purchased a newer computer than my 1st, which has a better graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB), but this never happened with my older computer. What should my settings be? I have never changed anything since I bought the program.
It might very well be bad editing. Ghosting = sloppy editing. If it's just certain videos than it is the videos themselves. I haven't experienced ghosting within serato video except poor video editing. Check your sources that may be the culprit.
DJ Reflex 3:53 PM - 13 October, 2014
I ran a few of my "Ghosting" videos through Handbrake. That cleared up a few of them. Be sure to use the Serato presets.
DJMark 9:33 PM - 13 October, 2014
By "ghosting" I'd normally assume one means frame-blending (caused by video frame-rate conversion or speed change in video editing software), and I don't understand what running such a video through another conversion step would to to help.

The original poster seems to be describing something a little different though. The nVidia 9400M is an "integrated" GPU from 6-7 years ago that by today's standards is really underpowered for the task... you may just be seeing the limitations of the hardware with video lag (may look different with Video-SL's frame-blending on or off).

I recall one specific "tweak" that helped the 9400M quite a lot with Video-SL: turn the refresh rate in Scratch Live way down (5 or 10). You then sacrifice a "smooth" Scratch Live display for better performance on the videos.

Also don't try feeding anything higher than 640x480 or 480p to the external screens and forget about playing HD videos.
nik39 10:46 PM - 13 October, 2014
Quote:
By "ghosting" I'd normally assume one means frame-blending (caused by video frame-rate conversion or speed change in video editing software), and I don't understand what running such a video through another conversion step would to to help.

+1.

Maybe the OP means tearing?
djnak 11:33 PM - 13 October, 2014
Quote:
I ran a few of my "Ghosting" videos through Handbrake. That cleared up a few of them. Be sure to use the Serato presets.

NO!!!
Once the ghosting is edited in...you can not undo it by re rendering...

GARBAGE IN = GARBAGE OUT....

Frost where are you sourcing your videos from?
DJMark 12:48 AM - 14 October, 2014
I assumed that the problem was something other than video sources, because Frost said "this never happened with my older computer."

Also seems from the description that the issue he's seeing is something more severe than frame-blending in the source video.

I suppose it could also be from accidental selection of an effect?
DJ Tecniq 1:19 PM - 14 October, 2014
Didn't think ghosting could be fixed in handbrake. Once it's edited that way there's no fixing it. Unless final cut pro maybe? I have downloaded videos that had the ghosting effect before...it was like a super headache trying to view them...I trashed them.
ta2423 1:33 PM - 14 October, 2014
Halloween is coming up. You may have accidently triggered the serato halloween easter egg.
nik39 2:02 PM - 14 October, 2014
:-D
Code:E 4:26 PM - 14 October, 2014
Quote:
I just purchased a newer computer than my 1st, which has a better graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB),

Quote:
The original poster seems to be describing something a little different though. The nVidia 9400M is an "integrated" GPU from 6-7 years ago that by today's standards is really underpowered for the task...

+1

Quote:
Also don't try feeding anything higher than 640x480 or 480p to the external screens and forget about playing HD videos.

+1

DJ Mark again with the best advice.
skinnyguy 5:56 PM - 14 October, 2014
ghosts? who ya gonna call? =P

if you're on a 57, try checking your fx. for some reason, a friend of mine had that problem. and had something to do with his fx on his 57? don't ask me, but he said it fixed his problem...
DJ Reflex 11:28 PM - 14 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

NO!!!
Once the ghosting is edited in...you can not undo it by re rendering...

GARBAGE IN = GARBAGE OUT....

Might have been a different issue for me then, but from what I read from OP... "it seems as though the images are trying to "catch up" with itself." I encountered the same problems. I'm not the expert on video rendering, but HB did fix those videos that just didn't seem to keep up without some sort of skipping or smearing of some sort. Not sure if it was a frame rate issue or what... just offered my $0.02.

I appreciate all the others who chimed in though to help OP - inadvertently helped me out a bit too.
DJMark 12:11 AM - 15 October, 2014
There are many ways to (intentionally or accidentally) encode a "hard to play" MP4/h.264 video, so yes re-encoding one of those using better settings would help playability. It's still a poor substitute for a better SOURCE since you're both adding a generation of lossy encoding and probably the original video wasn't good to begin with.

Pro Tip: if you re-encode the video, you should extract the original audio and remux with your re-encoded video (MPEG Streamclip will make that task easy). Then at least the audio isn't being subjected to an additional stage of lossy encoding.
Frost82 3:44 AM - 15 October, 2014
Thanks for the input everybody. The "ghosting" isn't in my videos and has nothing to do with editing, it didn't start until I began using my new laptop. I didn't have this problem with my old computer while playing the same videos. I assume my newer computer has a better graphics card so I'm guessing it's my settings. I get videos from a few sources, YouTube, my12inch.com, or a DJ friend. I'll keep playing around with it.
DJMark 4:45 AM - 15 October, 2014
Thanks for the additional information.

To be blunt (but accurate):

You are playing completely substandard videos (the one service you mentioned offers the absolute worst-quality videos I've ever seen, and improperly-encoded at that), on completely substandard hardware by today's standards.

Youtube videos are a good example of "improperly encoded for DJ use".

Maybe your older computer had a discrete GPU. Your newer one does not.
DJ DisGrace 10:57 AM - 15 October, 2014
Quote:
I get videos from a few sources, YouTube, my12inch.com, or a DJ friend. [\quote]

I think we've found the problem.... It still amazes me how djs can be so brazen to proudly state they get their content from YouTube. GTFOH
ta2423 12:58 AM - 16 October, 2014
~sigh~ Just say no to Youtube videos...