DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Anyone with experience with Db technologies subs?

dj_soo 3:26 PM - 27 September, 2014
I'm looking for an affordable, lightweight 12" sub to pair with my dxr10s to use for small parties of < 80 people.

First thought was the ev zxa1 sub but I found a db tech dealer in my province and he was recommending them.

Saw the 12d which is only slightly bigger and heavier than the zxa1 but seems to go lower. Bout $150 more tho and wondering if it's really worth the price difference.

I hear db technologies is basically a low cost line from rcf?

Anyone with hands on experience?
Joee 7:24 PM - 28 September, 2014
Quote:
I'm looking for an affordable

what affordable? to you

i'm a big rcf fan used there sub 705-as really liked it i stepped it up to there art 905-as & REALY like it they make 12" version of them, just bought my self the new rcf evox 8 system that uses a 12" sub & it sound really good for a 12"

that said db being rcf's sister company i'm sure it will be a quality sub
Joee 7:27 PM - 28 September, 2014
which one are you looking at?----> www.dbtechnologies.com

& have you considered getting a yamaha dxs12---> www.yamahaproaudio.com
dj_soo 3:07 AM - 29 September, 2014
this one: www.dbtechnologies.com

I'm not looking for anything super high-end. Just want something to round out my DXR 10s for small parties of under 75 or 80 people.

The DXS12 is only 10 lbs lighter than the NX720S so I'll would just bring that as it's a better and louder sub.

I want something small and compact and light that can give me a couple sub-60 hz frequencies to round out my sound.

For instance, I did a 30-person birthday party this weekend and my 10" tops were pretty much enough, but I really wished I had a small sub to round out the sound. My 15" yorkville would have been complete overkill and the volume was basically at like a 2 on my controller for most of the night anyway.

Think I'll probably just go with the ZXA1 - listed specwise at least, the only thing the DB tech 12D has going for it is that it goes lower. The ZXA1 sub is only $599 shipped too so cost vs performance, it seems like the EV is a better deal. Made in China or not, at least it's still EV - it's not like I'm getting a behringer...
Taipanic 3:02 PM - 29 September, 2014
I have the ZXa1 sub and like it. It will fill out the sound nicely and performs better than you think it would for it's size. I plan to purchase a second one for my small system, I currently have Yorkville LS800p subs for my bigger system.
JDforKing 4:24 PM - 29 September, 2014
I have the yamaha dxs12 and it's definitely doesn't feel like its 72lbs. I had a yorkville nx720s for a short time and the yamaha dxs12 feels lighter because it is smaller. I'm thinking the jbl prx715xlf maybe something to look into.

www.amazon.com

I also had the zxa1 sub and i wouldn't purchase that if i were you. Definitely not enough output for IMO.
Joee 4:38 PM - 29 September, 2014

this would be a great option but i think he's trying to keep cost down

Quote:
I also had the zxa1 sub and i wouldn't purchase that if i were you. Definitely not enough output for IMO.

i don't think it sounds bad, one alone won't cut it but two coupled together sounds nice

if you have a chance to listen to the new rcf evox 8, i think you will give up you're dxs/dxr system

it's sounds really good & weighs in at a total of 50lbs
www.rcf.it

and it all fit's nicely in this bag
www.rcf.it

some vid of the system
Watchwww.youtube.com
JDforKing 4:51 PM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:

this would be a great option but i think he's trying to keep cost down

Quote:

i don't think it sounds bad, one alone won't cut it but two coupled together sounds nice

if you have a chance to listen to the new rcf evox 8, i think you will give up you're dxs/dxr system

it's sounds really good & weighs in at a total of 50lbs
www.rcf.it

and it all fit's nicely in this bag
www.rcf.it

some vid of the system
Watchwww.youtube.com

How much did that system run you Joee?
Joee 4:57 PM - 29 September, 2014
one evox 8 $1,350
JDforKing 5:07 PM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
one evox 8 $1,350

So what type of functions will you use this for?
Joee 5:20 PM - 29 September, 2014
smaller parties/weddings/etc
dj_soo 10:05 PM - 29 September, 2014
Yea, the majority of my gigs will require at least one of my yorkvilles.

I'm just looking for something low cost and small enough to make my rig sound good for the minority of small parties I do get booked for. I only really do 2-3 parties a year where it's less than 75 or 80 people and I'm looking to be able to provide a better sound experience than just using my two k12s without having to lug out 2 times more sound than necessary.

Really not looking to spend $1000 on a sub that will only get use for a handful of my gigs.
gfella 10:26 PM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
Made in China or not, at least it's still EV - it's not like I'm getting a behringer...

Exactly.
Here in the Netherlands DB Technologies is pretty popular and a good alternative for RCF with budget in mind.
Both get serviced by the same centers when needed.
I just looked up the prices here.
The EV costs €444 and the DB 12d €494.
On paper the EV has more power 700 vs 400 watts.
Both go down to 40hz and use a 12 inch woofer.

But I saw another sub from DB in that price range which uses a 15 inch woofer also has 400 watts and goes down to 30 hz, model is 05d and costs €547 here, dunno how much it costs where you live.
If possible go and listen before you buy.
I think you can't go wrong with both brands.
I
Joee 10:33 PM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
On paper the EV has more power 700 vs 400 watts.

there both 400 watt speakers, ev is just giving the power output of the amplifier thats what is 700 watts were as the db is giving you real power not the hyped number
dj_soo 11:09 PM - 29 September, 2014
Zxa1 vs 12D

Front loaded w/ ports vs bandpass

126 db max SPL vs 127 max SPL

44hz (-10) / 53hz (-3) vs 45hz (-10) / -3 specs not listed

46 lbs vs 52 lbs

15.75" x 17.5" x 18" vs 15.6" x 20.4" x 19.9"

$599 vs $769

Unless it's apparent that the ev is using theoretical and calculated number and the db is using measured numbers, I think the zxa is a bit more bang for then buck.

I know both subs aren't the greatest but I also know what I'm getting. I'm not expecting danely performance from a little, milk-crate sized sub. I just want something for small parties to make my life easier, but will sound bette tthan just using full range 12" tops.
Joee 11:16 PM - 29 September, 2014
either one will server it's purpose all you want is something to fill out the sound not give wall shaking bass

your looking to save money get the ev, you can get it for $499 here open box www.proaudiostar.com
gfella 11:36 PM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
either one will server it's purpose all you want is something to fill out the sound not give wall shaking bass

This.

With the link Joee showed the price difference is something to consider.
rayjthedj 12:03 AM - 30 September, 2014
Most of the time open box is just the same as brand new, it is on-line sales way of getting around Minimum Advertised Price (MAP).
Joee 12:12 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
Most of the time open box is just the same as brand new, it is on-line sales way of getting around Minimum Advertised Price (MAP).

thats just what proaudiostar does & if there was anything wrong with it they pay for return shipping
dj_soo 1:43 AM - 30 September, 2014
I wish I could find an open box deal - unfortunately, I can't really use any of the US online stores that offer deals since I'd have to pay duty and warranty coverage would require shipping back to the states.

Joee, you used to use the ZXAs right? How loud does a single really get? Would 2 DXR10s and a single ZXAsub sound better than 2 QSC K12s with Deep activated?
dj_soo 1:48 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
I have the ZXa1 sub and like it. It will fill out the sound nicely and performs better than you think it would for it's size. I plan to purchase a second one for my small system, I currently have Yorkville LS800p subs for my bigger system.

what do you pair that with?

I know my DXR10s will overpower the sub if I crank them, but I figure I could get decent balance if I turn my tops down...
JDforKing 1:57 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
I wish I could find an open box deal - unfortunately, I can't really use any of the US online stores that offer deals since I'd have to pay duty and warranty coverage would require shipping back to the states.

Joee, you used to use the ZXAs right? How loud does a single really get? Would 2 DXR10s and a single ZXAsub sound better than 2 QSC K12s with Deep activated?

I owned the ev zxa1 subs, sold them, and bought 2 yamaha dxs12 . I think a single yamaha dxs12 sounds much better than a zxa1 sub. yes a dxs12 weighs 72lbs, but the way the weight is distributed makes it seem lighter than a large sub weighing 72lbs. The dxs12 is also inexpensive. The reason why i keep mentioning the dxs12 is i think it will pair perfectly with your dxr10s.
gfella 2:11 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:

If your in doubt, and when possible why not go to a store in your area and bring your speakers or if they still sell them ask if they set them up, that way you find a sub that will match your tops.
You can ask 10 people and will get 10 different answers.
Sound is subjective, what I like you might not like.
I listened several hours before I bought my set.
Your own ears is what matters.
dj_soo 2:11 AM - 30 September, 2014
Yea I have no doubt the DXS will pair and sound way better. I'm just old and lazy and a 46 lb sub seems way more attractive at the cost of some performance simply cause the gigs I would use it for simply don't require the volume.

I'm just looking for a way to get better sound than 2 12" tops at minimal effort and cost (while still getting a little quality).
JDforKing 2:18 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
Yea I have no doubt the DXS will pair and sound way better. I'm just old and lazy and a 46 lb sub seems way more attractive at the cost of some performance simply cause the gigs I would use it for simply don't require the volume.

I'm just looking for a way to get better sound than 2 12" tops at minimal effort and cost (while still getting a little quality).

The only way the zxa1 subs sound decent are in pairs. If you're only getting one, you will be very disappointed.
dj_soo 2:19 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
If your in doubt, and when possible why not go to a store in your area and bring your speakers or if they still sell them ask if they set them up, that way you find a sub that will match your tops.

unfortunately, there is nowhere in my city that deals in EV or dB Technologies (or RCF for that matter).

If Yamaha, QSC, JBL, or Yorkville had a lightweight, inexpensive option for a 12" sub, I'd go with those brands instead and trust my ears. Closest thing is the DXS12 (too heavy), the
dj_soo 2:20 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

The only way the zxa1 subs sound decent are in pairs. If you're only getting one, you will be very disappointed.

vs K12s with no sub tho?
dj_soo 2:25 AM - 30 September, 2014
there's also this: yorkville.com

not sold on a 10" sub tho...
gfella 2:38 AM - 30 September, 2014
I refer again what joee said, all you want is to fill up the sound.
Pretty sure the EV sub will do that in combination with your 10' inch tops.
Buy it from a store where you can return it and get your money back if you don't like it and look for alternatives then.
Chances are you be satisfied.
I think this is your only option for now?
JDforKing 2:46 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

vs K12s with no sub tho?

The ev zxa1 subs limit pretty fast, so i had to get rid of them.
dj_soo 2:50 AM - 30 September, 2014
what kind of application were you using them? medium parties?

I don't intend to use the ZXA in anything bigger than a 75 person party...
JDforKing 2:59 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
what kind of application were you using them? medium parties?

I don't intend to use the ZXA in anything bigger than a 75 person party...

I did a 120 person wedding with 2, but they weren't coupled. Coupled they sound much better, but a single one with 2 yamaha dxr8s were less than stellar.
Joee 12:08 PM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
Joee, you used to use the ZXAs right? How loud does a single really get?

one sounds ok but

Quote:

this, i think two dxr10's will easily out run one, you said this in another thread

"one of my small regular spots uses the KSub. Really not that impressed by the performance - especially considering how much you pay…"

if you're not happy with impressed with a ksub i don't think you will be impressed with a single zxa1 sub, you should really consider a dxs12
Joee 12:14 PM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
If Yamaha, QSC, JBL, or Yorkville had a lightweight, inexpensive option for a 12" sub, I'd go with those brands instead and trust my ears. Closest thing is the DXS12 (too heavy), the

they do, they just cost more money--> www.jblpro.com
Taipanic 6:02 PM - 30 September, 2014
I think the ZXa1 is getting a bad rap. For what it is I think it is a good product for the money. For filling in sound it will work good and balance out the harshness of the tops at higher volumes. They get pretty loud for a small box but don't throw very far (10-15 feet). A pair clustered on a dance floor edge would be sufficient for most wedding type events. I use a single one in my studio with a pair of Mackie MR8 monitors and they can hit almost club level volume in a 12x16 room. I used the same combo last week at a tailgate instead of my ZXa5/LS800p combo due to rain and most of the lay people liked it just as good, sound quality wise.
If you go that route, get one where you can return it in 30 days if you don't like it. I think I will get another one along with some ETX10s for my small system.
Joee 6:58 PM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
I think the ZXa1 is getting a bad rap. For what it is I think it is a good product for the money

i would not give it a bad rap I've used it for many partys & was pretty satisfied with it
imageshack.com
i just know one will not keep up with a pair of dxr10, it will compliment them and provide a much fuller sound but will not keep up

we did some teasing in my home with one zxa1 sub & one zlx12p
imageshack.com

the zlx12p outran the zxa1 sub, the yamaha dxr10 is a much better speaker than the zlx12p, now if were talking about a pair of zxa1 subs than that would pair up pretty nice with his dxr10's & will impress him as the did me for being so compact & light
JDforKing 7:03 PM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I think the ZXa1 is getting a bad rap. For what it is I think it is a good product for the money

i would not give it a bad rap I've used it for many partys & was pretty satisfied with it
imageshack.com
i just know one will not keep up with a pair of dxr10, it will compliment them and provide a much fuller sound but will not keep up

we did some teasing in my home with one zxa1 sub & one zlx12p
imageshack.com

the zlx12p outran the zxa1 sub, the yamaha dxr10 is a much better speaker than the zlx12p, now if were talking about a pair of zxa1 subs than that would pair up pretty nice with his dxr10's & will impress him as the did me for being so compact & light

The point i've been trying to make. The zxa1 subs aren't awful, just less than stellar and will leave a consumer wanting more.
Joee 7:04 PM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:

dj soo i go back to the above statement, buy the ev it will give you a good sound just don't expect it to shake walls or give you chest thumping bass
Joee 7:07 PM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
leave a consumer wanting more.

depending what you're looking for IMO, if all you want if to fill out sound & have some thump i think he will be happy with it

he is only using it for events of around 75 people
dj_soo 3:35 AM - 1 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

one sounds ok but

Quote:

this, i think two dxr10's will easily out run one, you said this in another thread

"one of my small regular spots uses the KSub. Really not that impressed by the performance - especially considering how much you pay…"

if you're not happy with impressed with a ksub i don't think you will be impressed with a single zxa1 sub, you should really consider a dxs12

Yea, but I'm not trying to power a 100 person bar with the zxa1, nor do I have to spend $1000+ for it. All relative.

I know for a fact that the zxa1 won't keep up with my dxr19s if I were running at high volumes, but I really don't intend to use this setup at high volumes...

What do you think about that yorkville ls200p? On paper it seems to outperform the zxa1 at least in terms of listed SPL (which probably means nothing these days)... The 10" driver has me skeptical...
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:28 PM - 1 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

one sounds ok but

Quote:

Yea, but I'm not trying to power a 100 person bar with the zxa1, nor do I have to spend $1000+ for it. All relative.

I know for a fact that the zxa1 won't keep up with my dxr19s if I were running at high volumes, but I really don't intend to use this setup at high volumes...

What do you think about that yorkville ls200p? On paper it seems to outperform the zxa1 at least in terms of listed SPL (which probably means nothing these days)... The 10" driver has me skeptical...

I was looking at that sub too. Yorkville has good subs, even the LS700p is a pretty loud sub the 1 time I heard one. was actually very surprised by it. I have a feeling that little 10" Yorkville sub puts out some good bass (for what it is). I have yet to hear one, but I was looking at getting one myself to bring with my ZXA5s (running full range) to just have a little extra. Obvioulsy the ZXAs will completely run over the little Yorkville, but just to help fill in slightly some of the low end. I passed up one on ebay for like $275. Still pissed about that.
dj_soo 9:22 PM - 1 October, 2014
If you're pairing with zxa5s, I doubt you'll get too much performance out of them. Might be ok for low mid kick boxes, but you'll probably need a whole bunch of them to keep up with the zxa5s
Certified Quality Entertainment 9:37 PM - 1 October, 2014
Not looking to keep up with them at all, just add that tiny bit of extra low end for those parties of like 60-70 ppl. I would just throw it under my table.
dj_soo 9:45 PM - 1 October, 2014
You bring zxa5s to 50-60 person parties?
Certified Quality Entertainment 12:57 AM - 2 October, 2014
Yep. Just don't turn them up
dj_soo 6:30 AM - 8 October, 2014
I'd think even a single ZXA 5 would be overkill for 50 people.

I found a buddy who owns the LS200Ps and I'm going to rent one for a small party I've been booked to play on halloween.

On paper, it should be the loudest of the 3 subs I've been looking at (though not the lowest). If I'm not satisfied, I'll probably just stick with lugging my 15" sub to parties...
Joee 12:18 PM - 8 October, 2014
for 50 to 100 people the evox 8 system works great i used it a few time already
imageshack.com
dj_soo 11:50 AM - 23 October, 2014
got a small gig tmw where I'm going to check out the LS200P. I'll let you know how it goes... it definitely feels a little heavier than I expected tho even at just 56 lbs. Still tho, easy to carry in just one hand...
dj_soo 7:20 AM - 30 October, 2014
tried the LS200P out the other night

Pretty much what I expected - nothing particularly amazing, but pretty impressive output for such a small box and with a 10" woofer. Probably would have gotten a little more out of it if I had corner loaded it, but I kept it centred between my tops.

At low volumes (which was the majority of the gig), it sounded great - filled out the low end nicely. Doesn't go particularly low - 50hz is the listed freq cutoff, but that's better than the 56 hz of the DXR in full range. I had the sub near full open to keep up with my DXR10s at unity to get a decent balance but I was told to turn it down as we were an enclosed patio of a hotel.

Never really pushed it too loud tho. I have more of a small dance party for halloween so I'm going to bring the LS200P again and hopefully push it a bit more.

Annoyances: only takes TSR / 1/4" inputs and outputs - I always prefer XLR.

Also doesn't have a LPF cutoff knob. According to the specs, the cutoff is 110 hz. My DXR10s cutoff at either 100 or 120 so I either have some overlapping frequencies or a dip of a bout 10 hz. Having the DXRs cut at 120 sounded a bit better to my ear, but only slightly. Anybody want to weigh in on best practices for that situation? I'm not going to bring a crossover cause that would defeat the purpose of having a small sub in order to bring less gear.

All in all, I'm impressed, but not *that* impressed. From a SPL perspective, it's listed at 4db louder which isn't a lot but it's also not a little. From a portability perspective, the EV is almost 10lbs lighter and has a much smaller footprint. Pricewise they're virtually the same.

Man, I wish someone local stocked the ZXA-1 sub so I could just have a listen to it.