DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Looking for a new mixer

djstyles21 7:29 PM - 2 April, 2009
Need some advice on a new mixer for recording purposes. I've been using a numark 1775 for 15 years now. Since this mixer doesn't have eq control on each channel, my blends from one song to the next are sometimes not matched with the hi's or lows. I really want a mixer with the same quality as the numark 1775 especially how the fader blends the songs together but with eq controls on separate channels.
C. William 7:49 PM - 2 April, 2009
Now that the SL-3 is out I'm looking at the Rane Empath.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:31 PM - 2 April, 2009
price range??
shiestO! 10:22 PM - 2 April, 2009
djstyles if you're talking about the crossfader blending the tunes together, you're not going to get that on a rane. if you have slow crossfader settings on, there will be a dip in the sound when the fader is exactly in the middle.

if you leave it on a fast cut-in, and use the upfaders, it will help.

dunno if that's what you meant.
djstyles21 11:36 AM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
djstyles if you're talking about the crossfader blending the tunes together, you're not going to get that on a rane. if you have slow crossfader settings on, there will be a dip in the sound when the fader is exactly in the middle.

if you leave it on a fast cut-in, and use the upfaders, it will help.

dunno if that's what you meant.

Exactly, the mixers I've used so far, on the slow fader settings there is a big dip on the first track when its even 1/3 of the way to the second track. On the fast settings, the second track jumps in so much even 1/4 of the way. Live mixing I don't really mind it, but when it comes to recording, I am so anal when it comes to my blends. I've tried vestax and pioneer mixers so far (the medium range price ones, forgot the model numbers). My price range is 1000 - 1500. I'm willing to pay for something I know I can still use after a decade like my old numark 1775.
WuaKeeN 11:28 PM - 3 April, 2009
I have the Pioneer DJM 3000 19" mixer & I do not note the dip. I had the Numark 1700 & 1775 mixer & loved them but after having idiots spill their drinks on them I finally had to replace them. Anyway, try out the the DJM3000. I picked up a slightly used one for $400. I also love the ALLEN & HEATH XONE S2 mixer. Its in your price range & worth a look.
djbigboy 11:58 PM - 3 April, 2009
yeah i like the 3000...its a middle of the road mixer as far as price and the effects and the flexibility of it is nice..
djstyles21 2:47 PM - 4 April, 2009
Thenks for the input fellas
djstyles21 3:09 PM - 4 April, 2009
Quote:
I have the Pioneer DJM 3000 19" mixer & I do not note the dip. I had the Numark 1700 & 1775 mixer & loved them but after having idiots spill their drinks on them I finally had to replace them. Anyway, try out the the DJM3000. I picked up a slightly used one for $400. I also love the ALLEN & HEATH XONE S2 mixer. Its in your price range & worth a look.

In your opinion is the djm 3000 more comparable to the the numard 1775 or is the xone s2 more comparable as for cross fading qualities?
djbigboy 6:22 PM - 4 April, 2009
On the pioneer, the crossfader is adjustable so you have flexibility. Using a allen & heath, I didn't have a great experience with the crossfaders...its a unique mixer...its also pretty heavy and oddly shaped...
WuaKeeN 8:11 PM - 4 April, 2009
^^^ as bigboy states, the Pioneer does offer more flexibility in regards to setting the cross fader to what you like. I've used the Allen & Heath a couple of times but do not recall having the ability to change the crossfader characteristics. Something to look in to I suppose. Pioneer is very well made & yes, comparable in my opinion to the 1775. Test drive it first though to make sure you like it...
djstyles21 12:00 AM - 5 April, 2009
Any thoughts on the pioneer 600?