DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

HOW Do You Practice?

Robbie O 3:52 PM - 19 September, 2014
Probably a better question for the more experienced dudes is HOW DO YOU PRACTICE?

For me, as a mobile DJ, I definitely could get a bit lazy and just "program" and update my playlist/crates, but that does little to help my performance get better and is not real practice.

Heres my list.... To be real, this is what I say I'm going to do, but normally dont... What works for you guys?

30mins to a hour Practice session focused mixing of...

*A Specific genre (Mixing Hip-hop, POP, reggae from recently updated crates)

*Open Format Freestyle (No plan, just jam no writtens)

*Specific Flips/Edits/Transitions (focusing on one of the hottest songs out and figuring out a creative way to either mix in or out of it, creating a "Ooo that DJ is nice moment")

*Scratching if thats your thing

What works for you?

No A.I. Please Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Reflex 10:24 PM - 19 September, 2014
Quote:
Open Format Freestyle (No plan, just jam no writtens)

Pretty much sums up a typical wedding for me. I wish I had time to practice some mixes and transitions more, but I also have a full time career and it's hard to use my equipment during the week. I jot down ideas for my next gigs and try them out during set-up, but often that's cutting it too close to the event. lol

Quote:
Specific Flips/Edits/Transitions (focusing on one of the hottest songs out and figuring out a creative way to either mix in or out of it, creating a "Ooo that DJ is nice moment")

YES! :) Got a look from the crowd the other night form this sort of thing. I felt it and they noticed it - good feeling indeed!
Laz219 2:06 PM - 20 September, 2014
Usually I just do whatever I want, but today I really enjoyed--
Switched AM mode on, went into my all library and was scrolling up and down and putting any track on a deck at random and then just finding a way to bring it in.
Because the tracks were all over the place it did a few things- reminded me of forgotten tracks, and gave me a decent technical exercise to make any random thing work.