DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Scratch Live crashing in internal and rel mode

Special K Melb 11:31 AM - 19 September, 2014
I have been having issues with Scratch live, starting off with not being able to connect both sides in rel mode, could only get one side working, had to play internal on the other deck. I also have problems getting the software to recognise the hardware was connected as well, thought it could be a usb cord issue??
But anyway, with that aside, I was mid gig, internal mode playing when it crashed completely, even the rel mode on the other deck refused to budge. I thought it could be the SL1 hardware? But then I just tested it at home after not using it for about 2 weeks and it all works perfectly fine like nothing happened! Playing in relative mode on both decks for about an hour without a single hitch.
I haven't had any problems at home, only on gigs out and about on other equipment other than my own. Was convinced my SL1 was stuffed, but now i'm not so sure?

Anyone able to help please?? I have also tried changed rca and isb cables but doesn't seem to help anything at all. I use cdjs btw, running the latest version of Scratch Live too. TIA
ral 7:43 PM - 19 September, 2014
DJ Reflex 10:37 PM - 19 September, 2014
Special K Melb - You might want to check a few things... I encountered similar issues after I bought my Mac. Here are a few possible causes that I was able to illuminate - no crashes since.

a) Check your library management. If you use iTunes, you might want to look at how deep your actually song files are buried in the folders. Anything longer than 2-3 folders and Serato has a hard time. Example: My Documents>My Music>iTunes>Unknown Artist>Unknown Album>(song)
Too many folders. Solution is to drop all your MP3' (.wav flac m4a whatevers) into a single folder or two. Get rid of iTunes management altogether. This will screw up your crates of course, but you can easily rebuild those with proper smart crate tagging.

b) Songs with non-English characters in the id3 tag. This one is hard to find, but I had a few songs that threw Serato for a loop with foreign characters in the tags - not just the title either. Solution to this is to isolate the songs that are causing an issue and retag them. iTunes does a great job of tagging files in the "info" section. You can also strip the id3 tags and reset everything. There are articles on this if you need more info.
The hard part here is finding the songs that cause the issue. Other than going through each song one at a time, you can cut your library in half and reload the tunes into Serato. If the first half works, try another half of what's left. Eventually, you'll get down to a small section of mp3's that you can test individually. (I was able to isolate about 20 songs in less than an hour.) Now check those in iTunes tagging and see if there is an issue.

c) Corrupt files! Rescan all your music. If there are any corrupt files - either fix them or delete them. This should be first on the list, but I assume everyone knows this by now.

Hope this helps.
Special K Melb 10:38 AM - 21 September, 2014
Thanks Reflex, I do use itunes and have never considered that this may be a problem! Will check it out :)