Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

pioneer djm 900 srt

eliasj11 4:55 PM - 18 September, 2014
Hey guys im in the process of looking for a new mixer right now. Currently i got my eyes on the djm 900 srt my question is can i record my mixes with this mixer or no? Thanks
raedonquan 5:13 PM - 18 September, 2014
If your using sdj you can record internally... but it won't record what your saying on the mic....
eliasj11 7:25 PM - 18 September, 2014
yea im just trying to record my mixes because with my current set up i have ssl 2 and a simple 2 channel mixer and i think i can only record the left or right side...
deejdave 2:17 AM - 20 September, 2014
Quote:
If your using sdj you can record internally... but it won't record what your saying on the mic....

Correct BUT you can either use a third party app to record everything OR wait a bit. I would anticipate it is coming soon. 1.7 brought on the mic/line in recording capabilities for a few controllers so it can't be far off now.

Mic/aux inputs now included in "mix" recording for:

Novation TWITCH
Vestax VCI-300
Pioneer DDJ-SX
Reloop Terminal Mix 2 & 4
Numark NS7
938MyDJ 5:49 AM - 20 September, 2014
How about SZ?

I just got mine 2 days ago and using it in the club right now. It's kicking the ash of the in house DJM800.
938MyDJ 5:51 AM - 20 September, 2014
Major upgrade this year...

Yes, I got an SRT too as soon as I sold my 900Nexus...

It's all deejdave's fault, ha ha ha!

But I'm lovin it!
deejdave 8:32 PM - 20 September, 2014
LOL The price was right tho right?
Quote:
How about SZ?

Not 100% sure but I think if it doesn't have it it will VERY soon. I will check over the weekend on my SZ but not gonna lie I just got my PLX-1000's yesterday and I am giving them most of my time.
Quote:
It's all deejdave's fault, ha ha ha!

CAN'T beat the price though right? Blame the sickness!! Many of us here have it!! I learned recently that Pioneer DJ makes up 60% of all DJ gear sales in the dj industry. This is great but the problem is I personally make up 60% of Pioneers sales LMFAO!! You know how bad I got it? I am thinking of getting the DDJ-SX2 meanwhile I have the ZX & SZ. I'd say the SX2 is literally in the middle of the two. Maybe I will just get my SX & SZ drunk and leave them in a room with the doors locked and see if a few months from now the SX2 is born....................
938MyDJ 1:51 AM - 21 September, 2014
As soon as I get hooked with the coloured pads, I will get the SX2 too. Or wait if there's it's clearly confirmed that there's no issue about it. Remember the SZ Platter ISSUE! I don't want to rush then get disappointed.
deejdave 4:47 AM - 21 September, 2014
I had the SZ issue. Not gonna lie some frustration and resentment toward Pioneer for putting me (it customers) through it but they really took care of business in the end. The sensitivity on my SZ > than my SX. I have come up with a colored system too for the cue points so I know what parts are what without even looking at the screen. THIS is the main reason why the SZ has been so important and the same reason why I am considering the SX2.

Red = Intro (followed by # of measures)
Blue = Beat (main)
Green - Break (followed by # of measures)
Yellow = Buildup (followed by # of measures)
Purple = Trans (followed by # of measures)
Light Green = Outro (followed by # of measures)
Light Blue = Synth Solo
Pink (or salmon whatever it is LOL) = Vocal
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:27 AM - 22 September, 2014
Hey eliasj11,

Quote:
Hey guys im in the process of looking for a new mixer right now. Currently i got my eyes on the djm 900 srt my question is can i record my mixes with this mixer or no? Thanks

Yeah you can record your mix using the SRT inside Serato DJ. The SRT has four-channels, when you want to record a mix you simply need to select which one of these four channels you want to free up to record the mix. It's easy to do, it just means you can only record a mix using three channels at once. If you only use two decks this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Logan.
blackavenger 12:09 PM - 22 September, 2014
You have to sacrifice a channel on a $2,000+ mixer to record?!? Wow, now I see why they gave the SRT all (4) channels for Phono. Unbelievable!!
deejdave 8:18 PM - 22 September, 2014
Quote:
Hey eliasj11,

Quote:

Yeah you can record your mix using the SRT inside Serato DJ. The SRT has four-channels, when you want to record a mix you simply need to select which one of these four channels you want to free up to record the mix. It's easy to do, it just means you can only record a mix using three channels at once. If you only use two decks this shouldn't be a problem for you.
Does it record the Mic. I could find out I guess being I own it but honestly I don't do much recording with it. Especially when using Mics.
Logan.
eliasj11 6:24 PM - 28 September, 2014
Thanks guys for the feedback its really helping me out
Darryl Rees 8:19 PM - 14 December, 2016
Hey guys I'm struggling to record a mix using the DJM 900 SRT. I've clicked on record on Serato DJ and tried recording on all channels from 1 to 4 but not getting any signal on Serato DJ. Any thing else I need to do on the mixer? TIA
938MyDJ 10:55 PM - 14 December, 2016
I have the unit but I haven't used it for recording so far.

But from what I remember from previous threads when mine just arrived...
You need to assign one of the decks as the record output.
deejdave 12:51 AM - 15 December, 2016
Correct and you need to assign within SW as well.
EvolutionaryFault 3:23 AM - 15 December, 2016
Quote:
You have to sacrifice a channel on a $2,000+ mixer to record?!? Wow, now I see why they gave the SRT all (4) channels for Phono. Unbelievable!!

This is what happens when you mix 'after' Serato. Welcome to external mixers.
It also costs you post fader fx. Pioneer fx (colour/beat) are post fader, but that's your only option for line(/cross)-fader-cut delay trails.

Record to an Unused channel is actually pretty sweet.

I have this mixer and love it, but if you are just shopping now, dont waste your cash. It's obsolete in literally every way.
UNLESS YOU NEED THE PHONO INPUTS.
The other mixers have them too, but maybe not in the right channel. The other specialties (over nexus) are free Serato/DVS instead of purchasing the club kit, and a blue fx button. That's it.

Personally nxs2 or db4 for the big money, or nxs + club kit for cheap. Run a rca to minijack from the record out on the mixer and record into another device (laptop, phone, iPad, etc).
Run an two iPads/iPhones mini jack to TRS mic 1 and mic 2 for ableton linked apps (I like launchpad). Be a mixing god :)

You will NEVER have post fader fx, or internal recording (bar the spare channel thing, if supported).

But you won't EVER have to settle for a controller layout. Build your dream collection of buttons and knobs.

Welcome to big boy land. I promise it's great; I'm never going back, and neither will you.
EvolutionaryFault 9:04 PM - 31 December, 2016
Quote:

Hope you don't think I'm stalking you, I promise this is coincidence.

If you look at the old nxs mixer, I'm pretty confident it only had phono on two of the channels, potentially even just the inside two.

I always figured the two phono's were for freedom of organization (tts left, cdjs right. For example). That and it helped justify the hideous serato surcharge ('specially after the club kit dropped).