Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

2 questions on set up

Davideon 4:31 PM - 13 September, 2014
If I use serato video or ME, is it possible to have SDJ on my main macbook monitor, the gui and video on the second monitor, and only the video output to a projector?

Also I use a ddj sz. I'm looking at the novation launch control to control the video (either serato video or ME). Will using 2 usb controllers cause any problems?
Code:E 8:20 PM - 13 September, 2014
Quote:
If I use serato video or ME, is it possible to have SDJ on my main macbook monitor, the gui and video on the second monitor, and only the video output to a projector?

With Serato Video NO. WIth Mix Emergency It depends what type of mac you have.

Do you understand that you need a video output (external monitor out) to send signal to a projector? Assuming you understand that, and you have a new MBP Retina with 2TB ports and the HDMI, then yes you can hook up 2 external monitors one being your projector output, the other being an extra monitor in your DJ booth.

There is another option. I have done it in the past but its not for amature users as it fucks up all the time, and requires alot of tinkering to have it work all the time everytime. You get a Matrox Triplehead2go (or Dualhead2go). Use that to split your video out 2 to different monitors.

Quote:
Also I use a ddj sz. I'm looking at the novation launch control to control the video

Most video controls can and should be controlled by your audio controls. But any MIDI controller can control video. I would suggest getting an ipad and TouchOSC, then you can build a controller to do anything you want.

Quote:
Will using 2 usb controllers cause any problems?

No Issues at all I run 6 MIDI controllers.
Davideon 5:45 AM - 14 September, 2014
Thank. Why 2 tb ports? Surely just one is needed for the monitor?

Was looking at a mid 2012 mbp
DJMark 10:25 AM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:

And another for the projector.
Davideon 12:44 PM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

And another for the projector.

I thought the hdmi was for the projector?
Davideon 1:39 PM - 14 September, 2014
On looking into this is it a case that only 2013 mbps and later can do what I want?
Code:E 1:19 AM - 15 September, 2014
Quote:
On looking into this is it a case that only 2013 mbps and later can do what I want?

Without buying a Matrox Triple head (and I suggest you dont)

Yes get a 2013 MBP with the dedicated 2GB video card.
Code:E 1:26 AM - 15 September, 2014
Quote:

Was looking at a mid 2012 mbp

Just to make sure I didnt miss something. The 2012's dont have HDMI. The only macs I know with the HDMI out are the ones with 2 TB ports.

You wont need to use both, you can use the HDMI and one TB port, then you have an extra TB port for a Harddrive. I would suggest you get a Thunderbolt Hard drive (not for the speed) but because you will only get 2 USB ports and you need 1 for your DDJSZ and it needs to be connected directly to the computer because your sound card is in it. And then the other for the novation controller. I would never use a USB hub with a HD that you're doing video with, and Serato says to never plug the sound card into a USB hub. And your sound card in is you DDJSZ.
Davideon 7:36 AM - 15 September, 2014
support.apple.com

perfect thanks Code E. I think I finally know what to get.

I was looking at this regards the hdmi on a 2012 but see it needs a connector
Code:E 8:00 AM - 15 September, 2014
Yes you need a connector with the 2012's.

To be clear this is the mac you need to buy. store.apple.com
Davideon 5:11 PM - 19 September, 2014
Any ideas on where to get a 15.4 screen to attach to the mbp? I was going to buy a chic on but the retailer has stopped selling them
Code:E 6:32 PM - 19 September, 2014
Well I'm in Canada, and anywhere I would buy one from you wouldn't want to cause of shipping.
15.4 is small you will have better luck with a 19" or bigger.
Davideon 2:05 PM - 21 September, 2014
I dunno. There's no where I can find one so may have to ship in. I was wanting one I can connect side by side with the mbp so the video monitor is on the laptop stand too and not separate