Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

1.7 Glitch and Loss of Vinyl Control

Marvin Myers 12:14 AM - 9 September, 2014
Used 1.7 at home for a couple of hours and everything was fine. Spinning at the club and four hours in that dropout came where you lose control of the control vinyl on TT's. Had to go and play with the buffer to get control back. Macbook Pro Retina 2.7GHz i7 16 gigs memory. Also using Reioop RP 8000 Turntables.
Frankie Glasses 12:58 AM - 9 September, 2014
Having same issue and noticed that other users on Facebook having same issues but they are not reporting it! Hopefully this gets fixed!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 6:12 AM - 10 September, 2014
Hey guys,

We're currently investigating this issue with Rane. In the meantime you will need to adjust the buffer to fix the problem as a workaround. We'll keep everyone updated when we know more but we hope to have a more permanent fix soon :)
Marvin Myers 1:34 AM - 11 September, 2014
Thank you!!!
Frankie Glasses 6:28 PM - 11 September, 2014
OK, glad you guys are aware of this and working on it.
yeahdef 7:41 PM - 11 September, 2014
this has also been happening with me on the pioneer 900 srt. I get a dropout, then the tone vinyl has a huge delay in control... buffer change fixes it, but I would love to see that fixed.
Dj Owe 12:00 AM - 12 September, 2014
Yes this happen to me lastnight also. First time it's happened on 1.7
Frankie Glasses 9:27 PM - 13 September, 2014
Have you guys had the audio completely drop out and then the waveforms studder/hang? Even adjusting the buffer does not work.
DJ Tecniq 9:25 AM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:
Have you guys had the audio completely drop out and then the waveforms studder/hang? Even adjusting the buffer does not work.
yes dude it happened at home when i tested it..Serato DJ is a death trap. I'm back on Scratchlive 2.5 solid. I dunno wtf is up with serato dj. There doesn't seem to be much testing from the development team cause this is a serious issue and i can't believe it's in a final release it's pathetic and quite disappointing. Next time i set my equipment back up i'll even take a video of everything happening right in front of me it's crap.
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:45 PM - 14 September, 2014
It is an issue with the drivers and osx 10.9 not serato dj.
More info here --> support.serato.com
Marvin Myers 3:42 PM - 14 September, 2014
I have the reloop rp 8000's so I'm really pissed that these issues are still happening. Especially when these were the main issues before.
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:46 PM - 14 September, 2014
When you setup move the usb buffer to 20 press apply then back to where you have it. That seems to of helped others. But we just have to wait for Rane to fix the issue. Or install on older OS.
DJ Tecniq 7:52 PM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:
See that doesn't quite make sense cause don't you think the same thing would happen in Scratchlive? hrmmm....
DJ Tecniq 7:54 PM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:
When you setup move the usb buffer to 20 press apply then back to where you have it. That seems to of helped others. But we just have to wait for Rane to fix the issue. Or install on older OS.
wrong answer. If it had something to do with Mavericks it would be happening in Scratchlive as well which it indeed does not considering I use it all the time. It is Serato DJ lol.
signs 8:36 PM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:
If it had something to do with Mavericks it would be happening in Scratchlive as well which it indeed does not considering I use it all the time. It is Serato DJ lol.

For Serato DJ 1.7 you Need a new Driver for RANE Hardware wich get's installed if you use it for the first time. This one is not Supported in SSL. That's why you alway have to reinstall the Driver when switching between SDJ 1.7 and SSL.
The Bug seems to be new to this new Driver installed with 1.7
DJ Tecniq 8:58 PM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
If it had something to do with Mavericks it would be happening in Scratchlive as well which it indeed does not considering I use it all the time. It is Serato DJ lol.

For Serato DJ 1.7 you Need a new Driver for RANE Hardware wich get's installed if you use it for the first time. This one is not Supported in SSL. That's why you alway have to reinstall the Driver when switching between SDJ 1.7 and SSL.
The Bug seems to be new to this new Driver installed with 1.7
that must be it it kept telling me to reinstall sl3 driver when I already did. I think the new driver is causing all the issues in SDJ. I should of never installed it cause that's what it seems like.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:44 PM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:
wrong answer. If it had something to do with Mavericks it would be happening in Scratchlive as well which it indeed does not considering I use it all the time. It is Serato DJ lol.

That's not entirely correct. Serato DJ is a different piece of software to Scratch Live and therefore there can be OS X issues which will cause specific issues for Serato DJ.

This is a known issue here which we have reproduced reliably and are looking into a fix for with our hardware partners.

If using the workaround to resolve this doesn't fix this for you, it's likely there's something else strange going on and we'll have to look into this.

Best place for help: support.serato.com

Sam.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:34 AM - 15 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

No because ssl does not use the Rane coreaudio drivers.
Frankie Glasses 6:32 PM - 15 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
yes dude it happened at home when i tested it..Serato DJ is a death trap. I'm back on Scratchlive 2.5 solid. I dunno wtf is up with serato dj. There doesn't seem to be much testing from the development team cause this is a serious issue and i can't believe it's in a final release it's pathetic and quite disappointing. Next time i set my equipment back up i'll even take a video of everything happening right in front of me it's crap.

Quote:

What if you are not on Mavericks though. Am i/we pretty much SOL???
Frankie Glasses 6:34 PM - 15 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

@tecniq
Just curious, do you run Serato Video or Mix Emergency when you have problems?
DJ Tecniq 12:31 AM - 16 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@tecniq
Just curious, do you run Serato Video or Mix Emergency when you have problems?
i can't even run SDJ I am using Scratchlive 2.5 w/video and having no problem at all so maybe it is the driver in SDJ.
DJ Tecniq 12:32 AM - 16 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

i would say no because apparently the driver issue is in 1.7 only so I don't think older versions are affected
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:51 AM - 16 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

i would say no because apparently the driver issue is in 1.7 only so I don't think older versions are affected

No it is in ALL versions of Serato DJ…
Quote:
This is a known issue that is evident in Serato DJ, but not caused by it. The issue lies in between the driver and the OS and there is nothing we can do with the software to fix it. We are however working closely with our hardware partners to help resolve this as fast as possible for a future update.
DJ Tecniq 3:29 PM - 16 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
This is a known issue that is evident in Serato DJ, but not caused by it. The issue lies in between the driver and the OS and there is nothing we can do with the software to fix it. We are however working closely with our hardware partners to help resolve this as fast as possible for a future update.
this makes no sense at all..cause older versions serato dj weren't not doing this? it was just in 1.7 everything was going haywire. And if this were the case then why don't I see more dj's complaining about serato dj? Not quite following what you're saying
Frankie Glasses 6:29 PM - 16 September, 2014
I was initially thinking that this may be a rane hardware issue as most users being affected were using a rane product but it looks like even dj's on controllers (pioneer) are being affected as well. I really hope this gets fixed ASAP.
PopRoXxX 6:50 PM - 16 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
this makes no sense at all..cause older versions serato dj weren't not doing this? it was just in 1.7 everything was going haywire. And if this were the case then why don't I see more dj's complaining about serato dj? Not quite following what you're saying

This has been happening since DVS was introduced to SeratoDJ before 1.7 on both Rane and Pioneer hardware, it's just that 1.7 didn't fix it. Also, I've learned the drivers for ScratchLIVE are different than SeratoDJ. SSL used it's own drivers on the hardware, SDJ uses your core audio on your computer (if I understood correctly).
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:07 PM - 16 September, 2014
That is correct.
Frankie Glasses 7:28 PM - 16 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This has been happening since DVS was introduced to SeratoDJ before 1.7 on both Rane and Pioneer hardware, it's just that 1.7 didn't fix it. Also, I've learned the drivers for ScratchLIVE are different than SeratoDJ. SSL used it's own drivers on the hardware, SDJ uses your core audio on your computer (if I understood correctly).

So the new drivers are not negatively affecting everone? I dont get it.
DJ Tecniq 2:12 AM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

wow had no idea of that sticking with Scratchlive for now.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 4:06 AM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:

The key thing to understand with this issue is that it is specific to OS X 10.9 Mavericks. Apple introduced some changes to the way CoreAudio works, specifically with the timing and something called 'audio interruption protection' apparently... with Apple being Apple, it is impossible to get more information.

Fortunately, this issue is only affecting a small number of users at this point. We are treating it very seriously though as for those who get it, it seems to happen quite often which is not good at all. Luckily, not many experience it.

It didn't turn up during testing and was first reported by a user. We were actually unable to reproduce it here in the office until one of our developers figured out a way to make it happen. Our hardware partners' work in creating a fix in the driver is totally to their credit as the underlying cause can only be changed by Apple.

Anyone experiencing this issue should read the FAQ for the best workaround support.serato.com. We'll get there with a fix asap :)

Aaron
PopRoXxX 4:33 PM - 17 September, 2014
I think I was actually one of the first to find this horrible bug. Being an old private tester from the before 2.0+ SSL series, the audio buffer was immediately my first go to. And I posted the problem and quick fix ASAP during my gig because of it.

BUT ...... while this latency issue has been happening to me at almost every show, last night was the big punch in the face. Same signs (as the latency issue) were approaching last night. But before the stutter and loss of complete control, SeratoDJ froze! Just froze on me. I literally just click and dragged a track to Deck 1 while Deck 2 was playing and the green plus sign just stuck on the arrow over the deck (like the drag was still happening even though I wasn't touching anything anymore) then went to beach ball/pinwheel/rainbow wheel of death. Music stopped, Serato froze and everyone at my show went "Ooooooooooooohhhhh!!!!!"

Not good!
Frankie Glasses 6:19 PM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

The key thing to understand with this issue is that it is specific to OS X 10.9 Mavericks. Apple introduced some changes to the way CoreAudio works, specifically with the timing and something called 'audio interruption protection' apparently... with Apple being Apple, it is impossible to get more information.

Aaron

This isnt specific to just Mavericks. I have this issue and i do not have Mavericks as my OS....
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:34 PM - 17 September, 2014
Yes very true PopRoXXX, thanks heaps for your early information. This other issue doesn't sound good at all. Can I ask you to email support@serato.com, attention my name so I can go deeper into that with you? Cheers man.

@Frankie Glasses - which OS version are you using? We did have some early reports of this happening with Mountain Lion, but they were later found to be different to this specific issue.

Aaron
nik39 10:50 PM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Fortunately, this issue is only affecting a small number of users at this point. We are treating it very seriously though as for those who get it, it seems to happen quite often which is not good at all. Luckily, not many experience it.

It didn't turn up during testing and was first reported by a user. We were actually unable to reproduce it here in the office until one of our developers figured out a way to make it happen. Our hardware partners' work in creating a fix in the driver is totally to their credit as the underlying cause can only be changed by Apple.

Anyone experiencing this issue should read the FAQ for the best workaround support.serato.com. We'll get there with a fix asap :)

Aaron

Thanks for the info Aaron. Can you share how to reproduce this issue?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:54 PM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Thanks for the info Aaron. Can you share how to reproduce this issue?

Haha, wish I could man, but I don't know myself :P I've seen the email to our hardware partners explaining how to get it done and it is looong. Sorry I can't help.

Aaron
PopRoXxX 11:55 PM - 17 September, 2014
I hit you on the email Aaron
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:14 AM - 18 September, 2014
Cool, got it :)
deejayreece 4:51 PM - 18 September, 2014
I will be contacting support, but I thought I would put it out there that I am also experiencing what appears to be this same issue, with OSX 10.8, not Mavericks. It's happened to me three times this week, each time after playing for about 1-2 hours with no issue, I have a brief drop out, followed by the major lag in vinyl control. Resetting the buffer slider does solve it, however that also causes a brief audio dropout, so unfortunately I don't think I can use Serato DJ out live again until this is resolved. *Sad face*.
Frankie Glasses 5:21 PM - 18 September, 2014
Quote:

@Frankie Glasses - which OS version are you using? We did have some early reports of this happening with Mountain Lion, but they were later found to be different to this specific issue.

Aaron

I am on Mountain Lion and i have contacted support with no response as of today.
DJ Tecniq 6:37 PM - 18 September, 2014
Quote:
I will be contacting support, but I thought I would put it out there that I am also experiencing what appears to be this same issue, with OSX 10.8, not Mavericks. It's happened to me three times this week, each time after playing for about 1-2 hours with no issue, I have a brief drop out, followed by the major lag in vinyl control. Resetting the buffer slider does solve it, however that also causes a brief audio dropout, so unfortunately I don't think I can use Serato DJ out live again until this is resolved. *Sad face*.
So I was right the whole time it doesn't matter what OSX you use it's just crap. They are far from making Serato DJ stable.. They are almost close to a 2.0 version. I don't care about any of the new features it's still nothing compared to Scratchlive and it's stability. I think Serato DJ has major issues with DVS as for controllers it's prob working well but not for turntablists whatever they are doing is not working. Tuff nuggets get it to function👌
signs 6:48 PM - 18 September, 2014
Quote:
So I was right the whole time it doesn't matter what OSX you use it's just crap. They are far from making Serato DJ stable.. They are almost close to a 2.0 version. I don't care about any of the new features it's still nothing compared to Scratchlive and it's stability. I think Serato DJ has major issues with DVS as for controllers it's prob working well but not for turntablists whatever they are doing is not working. Tuff nuggets get it to function👌

Don't say that just because YOU have a Problem with sdj. I'm using it since 1.0 with DDJ-SX and 1.6 with DVS. I didn't have any Problems ans sdj got better and better with every update.
deejayreece 7:02 PM - 18 September, 2014
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love Serato products, and will continue to be a loyal user. I know this will get sorted out eventually. This is my first issue in 7 years, so that ain't bad! It's just a slight bummer as I just upgraded to the SL4/Serato DJ/Pioneer SP1, and I'm being forced to be patient. I hate being patient :)
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:26 AM - 19 September, 2014
Hey deejayreece and Frankie Glasses, sorry to be a pain, but can I ask you to cut and paste your feedback over in this thread: serato.com

This is where I'm dealing with most users experiencing this issue and our development team are tracking it too. This is vey interesting information and it will be easier to have you guys involved over there.

Frankie Glasses - thanks for the email, I'll get back to you in there.

Cheers
Aaron